• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:40 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 16 - Seven Houses

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 13, 2024, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Mar 21, 2024, 03:41 PM #30 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2024, 09:18 PM by Eclecticon
Arbogast nods his agreement.  "Though the choosing is for the Woodmen alone, the Beornings are our kin and their words would not lightly be ignored.  We shall venture south," he says, the choice made by all.

"Grimbeorn should be told of what we have learned and of our purpose in going abroad, though we cannot expect his aid while so many other cares beset him.  There are those here in this hall, though, who would carry word to him were we to but ask it, and I doubt not that he would welcome an extra pair of hands as he rebuilds his hall." 

Turning to Esgalwen, he adds "Neither do I trust any gift from that man's hand, for the most precious of them will have lain long in deep-shadowed places.  I am thankful that he seems not long to remember what he has given, and to whom." 

"Then it only remains to make my excuses to the man," Hathcyn says.  With a thoughtful mien, he adds "He and his have already come a long way, and the greybeards among them will want to rest a day or two, I'm sure.  Nor can they travel faster than we, with most of them afoot.  If we leave with the morn, we'll have a fine head start on them.  No doubt there'll be a lot for us to do before the moot even begins!" 

:ooc: As Hathcyn suggests, Tom, politeness demands that you say something to Caewin before you leave - you're his host, after all.  You can either a) tell him the truth about where you're going and why, b) lie about it (no roll necessary for the deception, though it'll count as a Misdeed) or c) dissemble and try to hide your true purpose with another Riddle roll. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: is there a reason not to travel with him?  Leaves us time to send a message to Grimbeorn and get an answer back if one is required and provide more numbers for the journey.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Mainly just that it would let you get the lay of the figurative land before everything kicks off.  Caewin and his people have the furthest to come, so they'll be the last to arrive before the folk moot begins.

I probably should've made that clear in the narrative.

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: what do you guys think? Leaving seems like an insult and we may need to leverage him later. Why go in with a foe when we can travel with him as "allies"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: I see no challenge in traveling with him. It will also give us more time to get more insight of the man and his intentions.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Splitting the party is also an option but a none too kind one to the Narrator  ;)
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: I've done it before, if it's a thing you want to do.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: You know what, never mind - I've been giving it some thought and the story will work fine no matter what you do from here.  If you want to travel with Caewin, go right ahead. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: from our side of the screen it makes more sense to travel with him, get to better read on him and not sour the relationship just before we might need to negotiate with him.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"If the action is to accompany this caravan, I will send my feathered friend to the seat of Grimbeorn bearing news of what has transpired here.  She can then proceed to return to us upon the road or at our destination," offers Gwaithlim.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

"Let us prepare, then," says Arbogast in a solemn tone.  "Doubtless, this will be an interesting journey."

Character sheet