• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 08:42 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Round 1 -

Started by tomcat, Jan 27, 2005, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Situation: The Company has been split with Nain alone down in the deeps. At this time the remaining members do not appear threatened by anything...

Physical Modifiers: Although the lantern gives off some light, I am going to penalize any in the tunnels with a Dim Lighting penalty of +2 to TN's

Character Status: Daelhun is Winded -1, Durgil is Winder -1, Edrahil is Injured -3 and Winded -1. Be sure and check the status page for your available COURAGE - in case you need any.

Initiative:

Greater G. Spider (on Nain) - 14 Ouch!
Lesser G. Spider (unknown) - 11
Durgil - 12
Dirnhael 11
Nain - 10
Daelhun - 10
Fengel - 8

Greater Spider attacks Nain TN 12
Unarmed Combat (Grab) +6, Nim +1, Specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+9: 6,6,2,+9 Total:23... sorry Stefan, the dice are falling very viciously

If not parried or dodged, Nain is grabbed up and held. To break free, Nain will need to make an Opposed Strength Test against the spider.

Nain staggers back at the sight but the great spider lunges forward and quickly grabs up the dwarf in its forward legs.

Outside, as the remaining Company members look down in the hole, out of the rubble begins to appear spiders of varying size, but none under that of a large dog. They slowly move in encircling their prey streaming behind a sticky layer of web. The creatures front legs weave before them with the fangs dancing behind...

:arrow:
OOC:
Durgil you may react first... and any others that roll higher than 11 initiative.

Note: Lesser giant spiders will be treated as 3 HIT opponents. Our Degree Of Success system applies: Marginal or Complete Success 1 HIT; Superior Success 2 HITS; Extraordinary Success 3 HITS.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Lunduf

Init roll +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 1,1,+2 Total:4

Watches the world pass him by

sdrotar

:arrow: Initiative Roll:  +2
Roll(2d6)+2:5,4,+2 Total:11

"Damn," thought Dirnhael, as the spiders clambered across the plain.
Nain was down in the spider-dwelling, undoubtedly in grave danger. Though frustrated that the dwarf didn't heed his call to surface, he knew deep down that he couldn't blame him for searching for his kin.
And he certainly didn't deserve to die for it... but would he be enough help - or even get there in time?
His men were here, now - and they needed their Captain to stand with them.
Yet, how could he lead if he allowed an innocent to die alone while he fought bravely for his family?

OOC: How many lesser spiders are the six of us facing? Though I know it's a terrible idea for his... well, life, I'm thinking that Dirnhael might jump into the pit and try to help Nain if the others can handle their attackers... it's the Tolkien thing to do.  :wink:
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Initiative Roll (2d6) 5,4 +2=11

Nain sees the creatures viscious mandibles and feels the grip of impending doom only an instant before they snatch him up off the ground.  The feeling of being lifted was at once thrilling and terrifying as it was a rare creature that could or would lift a dwarf.  Not even for a moment did the stalwart dwarf consider giving the beast the satisfaction of knowing his fear.  

Assuming that I can still attack while she has me:
He swung his axe over his head and chopped down hoping that he could still inflict some modicum of damage to it for killing him and his brother.

Attack Rolls
(2d6) 6,5+6 = 17 Hit Damage (2d6) 1,3 +12=16
(2d6) 4,5+6 = 15 Hit Damage (2d6) 2,4 +12=18

Assuming that I cannot still attack while she has me:
He struggled with all his might to break free of the crushing mandibles before he could be eaten.  He would not let her kill him this easily without even having a chance to reap the vengence that his brother deserved.

Strength check
(2d6) 6,3 +4 =13
If that doesnt cut it I'll try again.
(2d6) 5,6 +4 =15

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Attacks spider closest to Dirnhael...
Action 1) RC: Bows (Longbow) - (6+1)+8+2-1=16 1 HIT
Action 2) Reload
OOC: Against same spider again unles it is killed, attacks nearest spider to himself...
Action 3) RC: Bows (Longbow) - (6+4)+8+2-6=14 1 HIT

Seeing his friend's indecision on staying or going to help the dwarf, "Go! We'll be fine here!"

OOC: Init for next round...
Initiative - (4+4)+2-1=9
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Quote from: StefanInitiative Roll (2d6) 5,4 +2=11

Nain sees the creatures viscious mandibles and feels the grip of impending doom only an instant before they snatch him up off the ground.  The feeling of being lifted was at once thrilling and terrifying as it was a rare creature that could or would lift a dwarf.  Not even for a moment did the stalwart dwarf consider giving the beast the satisfaction of knowing his fear.  

Assuming that I can still attack while she has me:
He swung his axe over his head and chopped down hoping that he could still inflict some modicum of damage to it for killing him and his brother.

Attack Rolls
(2d6) 6,5+6 = 17 Hit Damage (2d6) 1,3 +12=16
(2d6) 4,5+6 = 15 Hit Damage (2d6) 2,4 +12=18

Assuming that I cannot still attack while she has me:
He struggled with all his might to break free of the crushing mandibles before he could be eaten.  He would not let her kill him this easily without even having a chance to reap the vengence that his brother deserved.

Strength check
(2d6) 6,3 +4 =13
(2d6) 5,6 +4 =15

:arrow: OOC:
Hey Stefan,

How are you doing? I have a couple of things I wanted to let you know on how we have standardized our combat posts to make our lives easier. As a new person, I should have sent out an e-mail but I didn't have time. So, I have highlighted and color-coordinated the quote above to my responses below. Any questions, give me a shout:

-Thanks for rolling initiative again, but this will be for next round. In each combat round, there will be a series of posts from both of us - one for the initail attacker, one for the defender and his attack, and then a defensive post for the first attacker. That said, rolling initiative at the end of your post is great for me to have so I know the set-up for next round. Point is, include it at the end of your posts.

-It is fine if you make an attack against the spider, but there are physical modifiers that will play into the situation that you need to include when you make your rolls. Also I would like you to post your actions in the following format as it helps me keep an accounting of the round (your attacks are represented below with all modifiers). These modifiers I will give per round on the initial post for each combat thread. Lastly, I have changed your characters main weapon to a Battle Axe. Great Axes were used by only 'Tall and Strong Folk'... also it is stated that the Shorter Folk cannot use Large Weapons. Also, we need to use the weapons corrected stats from the Errata (listed below):

Battle Axe: Damage 2d6+4, +1 Parry Bonus, Medium

Nain Attacks G. Spider TN 18 (TN 11 +2 dim-lighting +5 grabbed)
ACTION 1
(2d6) 6,5+6 = 17 Hit FAILED Damage (2d6) 1,3 +8 =12
ACTION 2
(2d6) 4,5+6 = 15 Hit FAILED Damage (2d6) 2,4 +8 =14

I left the damages posted in case you wanted to use 2 COURAGE to make each attack a suucess.

-Lastly, I like the optional actions you posted... do me afavour though, make sure you tell me which is your preferred actions - if one can't happen I will go to the next, but I want to make sure I am getting the exact response your character would prefer doing. Still post it in the same format. Thanks

Strength check
ACTION 1
(2d6) 6,3 +4 =13
ACTION 2
(2d6) 5,6 +4 =15
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotar:arrow: Initiative Roll:  +2
Roll(2d6)+2:5,4,+2 Total:11

OOC: How many lesser spiders are the six of us facing? Though I know it's a terrible idea for his... well, life, I'm thinking that Dirnhael might jump into the pit and try to help Nain if the others can handle their attackers... it's the Tolkien thing to do.  :wink:

Hey Shawn, there are a total of 10 coming out of the 'woodwork', but I have changed my original thought on the Lesser Spiders. They will be treated as 3 HIT opponents. Our Degree Of Success system applies: Marginal or Complete Success 1 HIT; Superior Success 2 HITS; Extraordinary Success 3 HITS.

tomcat

Two arrows quickly fly from Durgil's bow and strike one of the spiders racing in on Dirnhael, and stick deep into its abdomen with a crunchy, meaty sound. Though wounded severely, the creature still struggles forward towards the men.

The rest of the Company ready themselves for the onslaught of arachnids all the while hoping that nothing comes up from behind, out of the hole!

Down in the depth's of the pit, Nain swings his axe as he is clutched by the spiders great legs. Twice he hears the crunchy sound of its tough caracpace being cleaved. Still the monster maintains its clutch on him and he begins to feel himself being turned! He has seen small spider do this with their prey... coating the victim with webbing as they turn! Nain realizes he must do something quickly or he will not leave this death trap!

This assumes you spend the COURAGE, otherwise the crunchy sound is that of your axe skittering off the spider.

Wiseman

OOC: This is the same as my above post as it looks like my actions hadn't occured yet, which makes sense since I posted our of the initiative order ;)

"Nasty creatures begone from this place!"  Daelhun shouted as he saw himself, and his comrades getting surrounded by the web that the large creatures were starting to spin. The warrior stepped forward and took a swing with his sword at the nearest of the spider, hoping to break their circle and slow down the web they were ensnaring them all with.

As he went about his attack his harsh voice spoke again. "We must not let ourselves become trapped by these creatures!"

Attack 1: Roll(2d6)+11: 5,5,+11-1 Total:20
Damage: Roll(2d6)+9: 3,6,+9 Total:18

Stefan

OOC: Ok spent the courage at that point I prefered attacking.  The axe is masterwork (made it myself if you'll allow that) so damage should be 2d6+9.  

[Moved this post to ROUND 2... I do not need future actions until the round moves forward, Thanks. Let me finish one round so that it does not get all confused.]

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalFOfBorg

Seeing his friend's indecision on staying or going to help the dwarf, "Go! We'll be fine here!"

OOC: All right. Screw it. This "hero" business bites.  :wink:

Dirnhael hears the sounds in the spider-hole and realizes that he's needed.
With a quick nod of the head to Edrahil, he clambers down the hole - hoping that this wasn't the last time he sees his friends...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Fengel attacks as one of the spiders races up to him. The Eothraim feels his skin crawl as he looks at the large arachnid before him, used to only seeing these creatures no larger than his palm.

Cerduil gleems in the daylight as it arcs back and forth...

Fengel v. L. Spider TN 13
AC 13
ACTION 1, 2 and 3 (Swift Strike)
Roll(2d6)+13: 4,4,+13 Total:21 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+13: 4,5,+13 Total:22 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+13: 1,3,+13 Total:17 SUCCESS

tomcat

Having crossed the distance from the stone ruins to the pit, the spiders lept at the Men, Elf, and Dwarf...

First of all, Fengel kills a spider with two of his strokes, the third seperates the arachnid's dead body in two. Durgil has struck one with two arrows.

Spiders attack the Company:
Spiders 1 & 2 vs. Daelhun TN 10 (-2 TN for small attacker)
ACTION 1 Grab
Unarmed Combat +4, Nim +1, Spec +2 (-5 Wounded)
Roll(2d6)+2: 6,2,+2 Total:10 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,5,+7 Total:14 SUCCESS
ACTION 2 Bite w/fangs
Armed Combat +4, Nim +1, Spec +2 (-5 Wounded)
Roll(2d6)+2: 4,4,+2 Total:10 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,1,+7 Total:10 SUCCESS

Damage if not parried:
Roll(1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6
Roll(1d6)+0: 4,+0 Total:4

Spiders 3 & 4 vs. Durgil TN 10 (-2 TN for small attacker)
ACTION 1 Grab
Unarmed Combat +4, Nim +1, Spec +2 (-5 Wounded)
Roll(2d6)+2: 4,3,+2 Total:9 FAILED
Roll(2d6)+7: 3,4,+7 Total:14 SUCCESS
ACTION 2 Bite w/fangs
Armed Combat +4, Nim +1, Spec +2 (-5 Wounded)
Roll(2d6)+2: 3,1,+2 Total:6 FAILED
Roll(2d6)+7: 6,5,+7 Total:18 SUCCESS

Damage if not parried:
Roll(1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6

Spider 6 vs. Fengel TN 9 (-2 TN for small attacker)
ACTION 1 Grab
Unarmed Combat +4, Nim +1, Spec +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 6,5,+7 Total:18 SUCCESS
ACTION 2 Bite w/fangs
Armed Combat +4, Nim +1, Spec +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,4,+7 Total:13 SUCCESS

Damage if not parried:
Roll(1d6)+0: 3,+0 Total:3

Spiders 7 & 8 vs. Lunduf TN 11
ACTION 1 Grab
Roll(2d6)+7: 4,4,+7 Total:15 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+7: 4,2,+7 Total:13 SUCCESS
ACTION 2 Bite w/fangs
Roll(2d6)+7: 5,4,+7 Total:16 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+7: 6,3,+7 Total:16 SUCCESS

Damage if not parried:
Roll(1d6)+0: 4,+0 Total:4
Roll(1d6)+0: 5,+0 Total:5

Spiders 9 & 10 vs. Edrahil TN 10 (-2 TN for small attacker)
ACTION 1 Grab
Roll(2d6)+7: 1,6,+7 Total:14 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,2,+7 Total:11 SUCCESS
ACTION 2 Bite w/fangs
Roll(2d6)+7: 6,2,+7 Total:15 SUCCESS
Roll(2d6)+7: 5,2,+7 Total:14 SUCCESS

Damage if not parried:
Roll(1d6)+0: 1,+0 Total:1
Roll(1d6)+0: 3,+0 Total:3

[The spiders are trying to bear down on the characters with their bulk (grab attacks), and then bite them. If any person fails to parry or dodge the grab attacks, the spider will be 'on' them and the character will face further penalties on physical actions. If any person takes damage from a BITE, I will need to roll for poison affects.]

tomcat

Fengel defends against spider 6 TN 18 & 13
ACTIONS 3 and 4
AC +11, Spec +2, PB +1, AA -5 & -10
Roll(2d6)+9: 1,5,+9 Total:15 FAILED - grabbed (-5 penalty until freed; Opposed strength to free)
Roll(2d6)+4: 3,2,+4 Total:9 FAILED - bitten (3 damage does not penetrate armour)

tomcat

Dirnhael stood in the pit after sliding down from above, before him yawned open the cave that proceeded down into darkness. He held Anduring at the ready, expecting one of the fowl spiders to leap out from any side but nothing came. In fact, as Dirnhael looked around he saw many small spiders... perhaps the thousands of young that erupt from a spiders egg sack. They clung to the top of the pit's edge all the way around the hole, but none came any lower than a foot or two. Dirnhael could not imagine the havoc that these spiders would cause to the local area as they grew...

The cave before him was dark and he had no light source, none except for the sword that began to glow with a warm light of its own... a light that said that creatures of the Shadow were close. He began to move down the passage listening for any would be attacker, but hearing only the battle behind and the struggling dwarf before him.

Hey Shawn, you will not be able to get to Nain in this round and it will take you a Full Round Action to get there in the next if you walk, 2 ACTIONS in Round 2 if you run. So, let me know how you want to get to Nain.