• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
Apr 18, 2024, 06:44 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!


SCENE 2 - Confluence

Started by tomcat, Feb 21, 2015, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 21, 2015, 03:14 PM Last Edit: Feb 21, 2015, 03:24 PM by tomcat
The companions rode beside Hamad within an entourage of his personal guards. It was not a great distance and the town of Fennin Dorath quickly grew on the horizon. The simple folk of the town looked in awe at the banner of Tharbad's liege as the group rode into the square. It had been long since any lord of the city had come to this locale. The townsfolk backed away from the road as they had passed, some even offering a curtsey or other form of deference to Hamad; some made a secretive gesture in ire at the lords whom they perceived had forsaken them.

The old ruin that had served as defense the prior day was all but cleaned up of debris and the fallen. The defenses had even been repaired and strengthened in case of new pending attack. The dead townsfolk had all been removed to a place of hallowed rest, while the remaining fires of burning orcs and men still sputtered with flame and dark smoke. They had been piled and burned close to the river side so that any spies across the waters would see what happened to any who would make another such attempt. The Lord of Tharbad dismounted along with his men, the latter spreading out to make a defensive perimeter. The companions followed suit, a couple cringing at Hamad's men who began to block any townsfolk from approaching the city's Steward. It was a time for this man to bring these people together, not have them staved off like potential threats.

"OY! I am Lord Hamad of Tharbad! I would speak to your town's guardian, this hunter named Guilin!" There were a few exchanged glances as those gathered looked about, seeming to have knowledge of something that the new arrivals did not. Hamad caught the glances, "Obviously something needs said, out with it!"

"Lords..." a graying man who showed scars of the previous night's engagement spoke. "Our captain, Guilin, decided he would reconnoiter the marshes across the river. He and four stout men took to one of the long skiffs that had been prepared for these men of Arthedain and poled across the water before the sun made noontide. They were out of sight about an hour later, disappearing into the reeds and willows heading north up the river."

Hamad looked at the man and then he brought his eyes back to Durgil, a question within them.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil was puzzled at this news.  The look he got from Hamad he passed along to Celdrahil and Dirnhael.  "My good man, what prompted this early and somewhat unexpected departure by your captain?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

The elder man replied, "Sire, to be honest I do not know. We were ordered to prepare to boats for travel with enough gear to allow for a week's worth of travel, including a tent. Guilin had made it clear that he would be departing soon with the Lords out of Arthedain. Not to speak unkindly, Sire, but Guilin was tapping the keg a bit much...not to say he was deep in his cups, but his courage bloomed, if you catch my meaning. He and his companions, who stood the wall two nights ago, all climbed aboard one of the boats and bid us tell you to join him when you could. He said these were our waters and our problems, and though aid from the North was gracious, we needs handle it ourselves."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael slowly let out a deep breath; the man was brave, but foolish.
"Not good," he said to Durgil. "They have few men, and could provide our foes with much information if they were to be captured."

He looked to his companions, his face letting them know that he'd welcome opinions to the contrary.
"We may have no choice but to go after them quickly."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

Celdrahil shaded his eyes with his hand as he looked out across the water, then turned to his companions.
"I would not go after them today and compound the error. Here and now we have people with but a thin screen to protect them. My advice is to spend the remainder of the day digging and preparing our position here, getting the watch in order. Tomorrow we may pursue them. That will allow for a better position here and perhaps our friend Edrahil will be able to join us tomorrow if we wait until then. I am afraid good Guilin is on his own for this day and night."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

"I propose another course," said Hamad. "Yes, wait until the morrow if you must, but do not worry anymore about the garrison here. I promise you - and the people of Fennin Dorath - that this town will be fortified with both men and arms from the city. My soldiers will be here before the day's end to help rebuild these defenses and stave off any potential threat. If this hunter can handle himself o'ernight, then so be it, but if you feel it wise to pursue him sooner then do it knowing the town is defended."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"That is welcome news, Lord Hamad," replied Durgil.  "We will take counsel amongst ourselves and give word when we will leave.  Your people can ill afford to lose such a man as the missing captain."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Hamad nodded and then summoned the captain of his personal guard to him. The duo then questioned the old man where they might find the town's mayor or other elders that might govern Fennin Dorath.

Although there were still folk that looked towards them, and some that even stood at the ready to answer any call, the four companions were left to themselves for the first time today since the morning. Only Fengel and Edrahil were absent from their council, as the former was currently sitting in the old inn watching over the latter. The brown water of the river moved slowly downstream towards Tharbad making soft rippling sounds as it did. Swans could be seen lazily drifting amongst the reeds of the eastern shore, while clouds of midge flies buzzed about in erratic groups. The sun hung in the afternoon sky, although gray clouds could be seen to the north and west.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Celdrahil looked at his companions, "Well that seems settled. So, do we ride...or I should say sail, off into the great unknown and find our imbibed and fearless captain?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

"Why don't you three return to town to look in on Fengel and Edrahil? See if they are fit to accompany us and get bring useful provisions back.  I'll stay here and work with Lord Hamad about obtaining a skiff and provisions as well," suggested Durgil.

:ooc: Hope someone has Seacraft, we might get wet otherwise  (-D
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nain sat quietly on the pony he'd rode back on, the idea of boating on an icy cold river made cold sweat bead on his skin but he was far too proud to show any fear. 

"Lord Hamad, I'll be going along to check on my companions, but send a runner when your men get here. I have some skill at fortifications that might help them before we leave." 

Telcontar

Celdrahil looked back across the river again. "the terrain is far to marshy and soft on the far side for the mounts or I would suggest we ride back to the city and then north. The fens and marsh however will be to soft for the animals to be much use. When I was through this way in the past there were rivermen who still dwelled and plied along the banks of the gwathlo. Perhpas a river boat can be found and worked into a tranpsort or pursuit barge in the future."

Celdrahil turned back in his saddle and looked towards the city. "The city Nain was chosen at a very specific spot. It is the furthest point up the river that the ocean going vessels of old could reach. It so happened that the ground north of here became too soft so the bridge paired well with the port. So the city in its prime was both a land and sea commercial hub. Some of my folk, from Anfalas in Gondor, have flat bottomed rafts for marsh and swamp. Perhaps with our heads together we can design something."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Two things:

Nain - it is summertime (T.A. June 1639 to be exact), so Nain doesn't have to worry about freezing river waters right now, although they may be still be cold. ;D

Celdrahil - the rivermen already have flat-bottomed boats that they pole upstream and down to move wares about. In fact, two were prepared for your crossing (one of which was commandeered by an eager Guilin), as per the command of Guilin in the previous thread called A New Day.

Taking liberty with Dirnhael in the below narrative to bring the companions back together.

I need a consensus on what you all are doing:

Are you following after Guilin? Leaving now with the sun in the afternoon sky, or waiting until morning? How much interaction do you want to have with Hamad and his troops fortifying the riverfront?





Fengel and Edrahil would need to be checked on, thought Dirnhael - of that, Durgil was right. Besides, the Éothraim would never forgive them if they took this hazardous road and left him behind. Edrahil, too, had told Dirnhael that he would not stay behind, whether wounded or not. So with a nod, the Dúnadan consented to Durgil's words and listened long enough to the conversation around him until it was clear he was no longer be needed here for the time, and then spurred his horse north towards the small inn that sat along the Iaur Men Formen.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

 :ooc:Durgil's intent is to check on the boat, ensure that we will have the availability of an operator, see if there were any of Hamad's men that were to be sent with us maybe as a guide who knows these parts, secure any supplies needed for a few days' trek (provisions, equipment, information).
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

 :ooc: yeah, i'm all for rallying the troops and heading over the water.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18