• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 20, 2024, 02:27 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Barovia! - redux

Started by tomcat, Nov 21, 2013, 12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Nov 21, 2013, 12:32 PM Last Edit: Nov 22, 2013, 10:11 AM by tomcat
The smell of mildew hung heavy in the air of the old church, along with the sickly sweet smell of incense and something else... death, maybe?

The babbling sound of the priest's chants came from the dais and alter that sat before the ornate symbol of Aodhan, Lord of Light. But even the image of the might god was begrimed with soot and brownish-green mildew that must have taken root due to the dampness in the chamber. Candles flickered and a couple torches in sconces guttered from the slight waft of air that came from the church doors being opened by the companions.

Ashlyn moved forward past matching doors on either side of the entry hall, her sword now drawn flickered with a light of its own. Something evil lived within the once sacred building and certainly it must have been invited by the unaware priest. Danovich was an older man with coppery hair that was laced with flecks of silver. His face and hands, along with his robes, were soiled with soot and grime as if the man had been digging. His mumbled chant continued as the companions all made their way into the churches entry hall and congregation room, the man taking no notice of their approach. He reached out a trembling hand towards an unlit candle, a burning taper in his hand. The flame met the wick of the candle and transferred to it, while Danovich accentuated a word in his phrasing.

:ooc: Welcome back to our game guys - hopefully we can move pretty seamlessly from tabletop to forums, all you do is just do the same thing, but now write it instead of talking it.

As you can see, I write the narrative/dialogues in the fashion of a story - third person past tense. If you follow suit, it will read like a good novel in the end... hopefully!  ;)

I will attach maps and pics to the threads as necessary. If you want to make any dice roll, feel free to use the roller above in the main menu list, or the in post dice roller. Just remember if you use the in-post dice roller, you cannot edit your post without it changing to a tamper warning.

Any questions, give me a shout. Let's have fun!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Callowmoryne

:ooc: sorry buddy been busy. Ill work on Jeremiah's sheet tonight. I want to know what's inside that damn hole

tomcat

:ooc: No problem, John. I was out of play for the week, too. Post when you guys can - I am always here.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Callowmoryne

Jeremiah watched Ashlyn with trepidation. He sniffed the air. Scratching at his beard. "The earth is foul here. Careful of the hole." He wrung his hands on the hilt of his war hammer. Truly just an oblong block of grey stone mounted to a steel shaft. He stepped forward to stand next to the holy knight. Hoping his companions would fan out and follow.

bkz

Shal's gaze deepen as his darted left to right intently. He still had his how drawn from the pervious encounters and pulled back ready to react at the first sign of danger. Something just didn't feel right and he knew trouble was coming.

Nomad

Dec 26, 2013, 03:07 PM #5 Last Edit: Dec 26, 2013, 03:20 PM by Nomad
The dwarf shuffling along only let out a grumbling "Bah" as he made his way up to the old man. Already in a bad mood for having to leave his merchandise behind he didn't need to hear any explanations from this priest. Wisdom and patience tempered his actions though as he moved his way along the back side of the pews. Feeling his muscles tighten as he felt the weight of the gauntlets on his hands...

tomcat

Dec 28, 2013, 01:52 PM #6 Last Edit: Dec 30, 2013, 06:36 AM by tomcat
The voices and movement of the companions caught the priests attention and he turned to look in their direction. Whatever his canting had been, he now stopped. Crum could see that the man's eyes were wild and spittle hung from his chin. He quickly glanced to each member and his hands came up in a gesture of warding, palms up and shaking.

Ashlyn made the first attempt to converse, "Pious Danovich? We come with the Light of the Lord into your house to celebrate He that is most pure." Her voice was soft and calm, "I, too, am one with the Light. I am servant and knight of the Lord Aodhan and I have been sent by our higher masters to check on your well-being and that of your folk."

"No...no...nnnnooo..." stuttered the priest in reply. "No flavor for seeking. There is no time in the hour for the moment to be. Much to do...much to grill and...grab. The moon... no." Nonsense spewed from the man and more drool came from his lips.

Callowmoryne

Jeremiah Let out a heavy sigh. He glanced over the pit. "Please tell me lord of the earth, that this dribbling fool is not the cause of this towns woes!"

Nomad

Crum continued to shuffle closer to the priest as he moved closer alongside the pews. " Aye this one has a few loose stones, humans can never hold there drink".

tomcat

Dec 30, 2013, 06:35 AM #9 Last Edit: Dec 30, 2013, 01:18 PM by tomcat
Ashlyn flashed an angry look in the direction of the cleric and dwarf, "Danovich was once a man of great renown within our church. I will not see you castigate him!" She then turned to the priest, "Danovich... what has happened here?"

The Priest of Aodhan turned glazed eyes towards the knight, "Wh...a...at happened here?" Confusion blanked his face but then it cleared, "NO! YOU WILL NOT HINDER US! MY SON!" The sudden shout caused all in the room to start and Danovich rolled from the alter dais and fell into the hole that centered the room.

As if called, the doors near the entrance crashed open and the walking dead shambled out in search of the living.

:ooc: Going to the Hobbit - give me some time and I will update this later today with combat info.