• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:58 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Ingress

Started by tomcat, Sep 17, 2013, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Sep 17, 2013, 07:52 PM Last Edit: Sep 18, 2013, 02:38 AM by tomcat
The rest of the night and early morning was quiet save for the renewed mewling of the palloos. Longshot and Haywire had made the quick hike over the second hill to see the destruction of the animals that had been caught in the ravine. The gutkurrs had torn two of the large-horned animals to pieces and left one mortally wounded. The scent of the dead and dying was luring other scavengers and predators to the hill.

Haywire backed off from one of the carcasses when something atop it suddenly flapped wide thin-membraned wings that stretched the length of a man. The things long thin snout pulled out of the dead palloo's cavity and hissed. Longshot watched as new animals gathered and yipped in excitement of the fresh kills. There were about 10 shadowed shapes loping about the ridgeline, but whatever the pack was they were too skittish to approach while the two Clone Troopers were present. As they began to walk back up the hill and towards their camp, the shadows converged on the dead animals, while the living palloos wandered a distance away and started their calls once more all the while watching the shapes.

With his low-light visor on, Longshot could see the new pack animal was four-legged and had sharp canine teeth. They were called anfaloks and could present a danger if not watched. Fortunately for Derecho, the time was nearing to move out.

Booth had had the men begin to break their camp and then they all took food. It was the standard issue protein paste that was squeezed from a tube - something that the clones were very used to, but they all wished they could eventually have a normal meal. Once done, Booth sent Mitts to wake Hammer and they piled once more into the Arrow.

The team moved through the low-lands of the Flats, weaving down valley lengths that sometimes took them out of their way and made them have to double back. It was necessary, though, as Martel and Booth did not want to expose themselves to any patrols that might be north and east of the river. The sun rose and light and shadow now filled each vale. Slowly it climbed the sky and slowly the team closed the distance to the Relay Station.

The Clone sergeant turned the Arrow sharp as he followed an S-curved valley. Longshot again was in the turret hatch with the speeder's laser cannon in his hands. Suddenly the ridgelines above dropped away to a wide, flat river bed. A pea-green-colored river flowed lazily in front of them cutting through the flood plain, and stretching off in both directions. Booth brought the speeder to a halt and shut down the engine. Team Derecho clamoured out and Martel laid a tablet on the hood. A holo-map activated and showed their position and that of their target. They were in close range now.

Hammer went to the riverbank and studied the water. It was flowing very wide and slow - the trooper knew that if needed, the men could ford it on foot and probably only get wet to their torsos. He stood back up and returned to his companions who were deep in discussion.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Sep 17, 2013, 08:18 PM #1 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2013, 02:42 AM by tomcat
His name was Har'zic and like the majority of his people, he was forgotten. Har'zic was a Dashade - a race of beings that had almost been wiped out in the Galaxy during the Sith Wars, but a colony had survived and now a few went out to sell their services for the highest bidder. In this case it had been General Grievous and the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

Har'zic's ruthless, but dependable, reputation as an assassin-mercenary had brought him to the attention of Count Dooku who had sent the cyborg general to find him and recruit him. The interest had been mutual and the Dashade was immediately promoted to a commander in the Separatist Army. With this new rank, Har'zic was given a company of various types of battle droids and ordered to ensure the safety of an important communication facility.

And then Grievous was gone - along with Dooku - and the Dashade had not heard from them again. It had been almost a year since he was stationed in the rocky flats of Plinth. Not that he mind - as a reptillian, the warmth of the territory suited him, but Har'zic ached to be on the front. He wanted to be in the middle of it all. Instead, all he had wasthe inflow of transmissions that passed through his station.

He was forgotten.

The sun was rising on a new morning. Har'zic stood on a balcony that overlooked the craggy cliff below and the warmth of the new day bathed his scaled face and chest. An electronic voice sounded behind him and he opened his eyes but never turned, "Commander, sentry team B1-AC has returned with a clear report - there are no immediate threats to our station."

"Of course not," hissed the reply. "Continue as usual with the standard reconnaissance patrol and bring me the current power outputs."

Something had to happen soon so that Har'zic could show his capabilities. Something had to happen to allow himself to be pulled off this rock!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Hammer was a little more groggy when Mitts came to wake him than he'd been earlier but the nausea that he'd felt before going back to sleep was gone now.  He wouldnt say that he was refreshed but he was definately better.  He'd already packed everything before going back to sleep, it gave him the few minutes that he needed for the adrenaline high to come down so that he could close his eyes, and now all he had to do was stand, throw his ruck into the Arrow and follow it in himself.

Once they'd stopped he glanced over at the map that he'd already seen several times, this time with a red dot near their target showing the position of the team.  He listened to the Commander and Sergeant talk while he looked into the river.

"It looks shallow enough for us to walk across here.  I don't seen any dangerous fauna in there at this point but I'll keep an eye out."

Perception +11 to check for any dangerous looking flora or fauna in the area of the river.
Rolled 1d20+11 : 5 + 11, total 16

GandalfOfBorg

Martel tries to recall if there were any dangerous water creatures that could be lurking in the river and sense whether there were any large creatures in their vicinity in the river.

:ooc:
Knowledge: Galactic Lore -  1d20+11 : 20 + 11, total 31

Use the Force: Search Your Feelings -  1d20+12 : 3 + 12, total 15
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Posterboy

"Good work, Hammer," Booth replied as the trooper returned with his report. Turning his attention back to the holomap, the sergeant laid out the plan. "We cross the river here and make our way directly into this section of rocky upcroppings. Move ourselves right underneath the north-east corner of the power generator. We'll climb or rappel up from there." Booth looked around to see if his team understood.

"Hammer, Longshot: You are on point. Haywire, Mitts: You two got rear guard. Swift and silent, men. I don't want them to know we were here until we're waving good-bye, understood?"

tomcat

Sep 18, 2013, 09:13 AM #5 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2013, 09:14 AM by tomcat
:ooc: The Arrow staying behind at this point? If so, I would like to know loadouts - not so much for encumbrance (be mindful of it tho) but so we know what you have with you.

The water is shallow enough that the Arrow could cross but it is going to get wet and it will take a Pilot check DC 22 to make sure it does not stall out.

Martel thinks of a slew of indigenous life on Plinth that resides both in water and on land and that are predatory. There are terrible slugs in the fresh waters that burrow into the skin and feed and nest. Fish that are meat eaters, along with reptiles and other mammal-types. The river could offer a threat from some of the fauna that habitat the world, but his Use the Force renders very little in the way of threats.

Hammer can see dried salt along the banks of the river. There is little plant life in the water, but minerals look abundant. The only movement he does notice is small hand-sized aquatic arachnids (essentially crabs) that sidewalk along the riverbank and submerge themselves into the water.

Stefan

Sep 18, 2013, 10:24 AM #6 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2013, 07:53 AM by tomcat
Hammer just has the stuff in his possessions list, that should be all he needs.

"Got it."

Giving himself on last check to make sure he has everything and nothing is loose or rattling he moved toward the river.  This would be one of the more exposed portions of their trek, there was no cover in the river and the only concealment would be if they submerged.

"Haywire and Mitts, one of you cover each direction while till Longshot and I get across then we'll cover from the other side while the rest of you  cross."

GandalfOfBorg

"Hmm.. I think we should make our across in the Arrow.  There are plenty of creatures on this planet that won't hesitate to make a meal of us, some we've met already.  There is something about this water that disturbs me... We shouldn't try to cross on foot it unless it's necessary."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Posterboy

:ooc:My apologies, guys... jumped the gun there... should have waited for a response from Martel's thinking/searching. Also, I had assumed the Arrow couldn't get across... sorry... I'll post a change of plans later... but assume we're jumping in the Arrow. I'd like to bring it as close as we can. Thanks!

Zilfallion

:ooc: Right, so that was just a tiny bit confusing with a possible future retcon in the works there.  Give me a bit to sort out everything before I post.

As for equipment, I'll stick with what I said back in the Episode 1 Thread with one minor tweak.
2 Anti-Vehicle Mines, 2 Proximity Mines, 2 Ion Mines, 1 Limpet Mine, 4 Explosive Charges, 4 timers, 4 manual triggers.  Leaving my stun clip of grenades as well as one of the frag clips and one of the ion clips.  So I'll be at 8 Frags(4 loaded in grenade launcher), and 4 Ion spare.  Leaving one Limpet mine I have with us back in the arrow as well.  Other than that, inventory will be as listed in the Possessions part on my sheet.

tomcat

:ooc: I'll wait until you guys re-work your posts, or do you guys just want me to move on?

Posterboy

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Sep 18, 2013, 10:26 AM
"Hmm.. I think we should make our across in the Arrow.  There are plenty of creatures on this planet that won't hesitate to make a meal of us, some we've met already.  There is something about this water that disturbs me... We shouldn't try to cross on foot it unless it's necessary."

"Derecho, hold for a minute. Eyes up." Booth gave his head a shake, "Sorry, Commander. Guess I jumped the gun there."

The sergeant examined the river a moment. "Hammer, you figure the depth's under five feet?" He looked back at the Arrow as his heavy weapons officer replied. Looking back at the Jedi, he continued, "Well, sir, we managed to get the rigged container through atmo and land well enough. I'm thinking I can get the Arrow across without taking in too much water. I'm a fan of staying dry anyway."

Turning back to Derecho, Booth spoke up again, "Alright, team. Change of plans. One more trip in the Arrow. I know you all love it's spacious design. Good news -- you get to stay dry. Saddle up. I don't like staying out here in the open."

:ooc: No retcon posts... but, once again, sorry guys!  :-[

Doug, from the map, can Booth tell if the Arrow will be able to navigate through the rock formations SW of their position towards the power generator?

And here is my pilot check:

Pilot Check: 1d20+18 : 20 + 18, total 38

Posterboy

:ooc:Wow... the dice are rolling a lot nicer in this game than in Tempest!  :tup:

Zilfallion

Haywire watched the map when Martel pulled it out for just a minute.  He'd been navigating for a lot of the trip so he already knew where they were and where the generator was.  He was still a bit concerned about indigenous life after the predators they'd had a run in during the night with and the large scavengers they'd seen soon after. 

Getting ready to cover the fording of the river as ordered, he was somewhat relieved when they chose to take the Arrow across.  Allowing himself a small chuckle at the mention of how they all loved the interior of the speeder he got ready to go once again, loading himself into the speeder.  They'd been in situations that were more cramped before.  It wasn't too bad in the speeder. 

"Hey Sarge, what's the chances of us getting a nice large suite on board a ship for travel to our next mission after this?  Command has been oh so generous with giving us spacious accommodations so far you know." 

He had a joking tone with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.  Republic Command always seemed to like cramming as many troopers into as tight a space as possible for transport.

Stefan

Hammer stepped back from the waters edge and nodded when the sargeant asked him about the depth of the water, then he hopped once again into the back of the arrrow and hoped they could keep from sinking the thing. "Yeah, maybe they'll buy us our own yacht after this mission."