• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 12:38 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Forced introductions

Started by tomcat, Feb 13, 2013, 06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

It did not take long and though there was some apprehension regarding the pickup of the package, it was ill placed. The smuggler merchant that brought the droideka in had had a job cancel on him and so he was able to eliminate one leg in his run, hence being early to Salliche. The introductions were made followed quickly by the transfer of goods - which were stowed within a large merchant crate. Abby and BIT inspected the box and found that not only would they be reprogramming the droid, but building it, too. The components were still wrapped in their original manufacture wrap as if the thing had never gotten farther than the crate before the end of the war. It actually made Kaida a little happier to see the state her new droid was in for she knew it would not have any unknown defects - as long as BIT and Abby could build the damned thing.

The droid components were unpacked and moved quietly to the back of the Arrow-23 and then the group was off, heading back across town to their own port landing bay. Caden drove the speeder but followed the directions of the young noblewoman. She took them along the quieter roads that lay on the outskirts of Netassa to get a lay of the land. The city was busy but still it was on an agro world, which meant that it was still very country. The land rolled away as far as the eye could see and it was a patchwork of greens and ambers, pocked with small residences, red barns, and the occassional processing facility that saw about sorting and packaging the varied crops.

An Imperial presence was noticed, but it was not oppressive. There was seen the occassional military or official vehicle along their route, but it was not like the planet was under martial law and soldiers were moving about en masse. Caden even got a courteous wave from one gray-suited Imperial driver that passed them down the country lane on which they drove. Still, it made the team keep an eye on their surroundings.

Perception checks DC 27
Abby
:00: DC 27 Perception +9
Rolled 1d20+9 : 3 + 9, total 12

Caden
:00: DC 27 Perception +11
Rolled 1d20+11 : 15 + 11, total 26

BIT
:00: DC 27 Perception +11
Rolled 1d20+11 : 8 + 11, total 19

Kaida
:00: DC 27 Perception +12
Rolled 1d20+12 : 18 + 12, total 30

Sam
:00: DC 27 Perception +13
Rolled 1d20+13 : 3 + 13, total 16
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Kaida had Caden take a long loop around the city and they passed the road that led to their targeted bridge, along with the looming re-educational facility with its high-fenced perimeter. She studied it as they passed wondering if her sister was really within - that all of this was not some terrible ruse to draw them out. But if so, by whom? They were effectively once more off the grid.

The side mirror caught her eye. There was a vehicle following behind them at a good distance. Had it been there before? She reviewed her thoughts and hadn't remembered if anyone was moving along their lane behind them, but even still what was the worry? Kaida's eyes went back to the facility. It was immense and there were white-shelled soldiers at many guard points along its barrier. There would be no easy way to attack that fortress like they had the one on Tantau IV.

And then it was passed only to return to the patchwork of agro-production. It was strange to her that the Empire would still maintain the prison facility here - it just seemed so out of place on the green and blue planet. Again Kaida's eyes went to the speeder's side mirror - yes, the vehicle was still behind them. Her natural wariness took hold, but she wondered again what was the worry? The roads were busy and they had passed quite a few vehicles in their long transit around Netassa. Her thoughts stayed on the vehicle, but she also began to think about getting a better look at the bridge.

Caden took a left onto a thin road that would take them south and east and bring them back to their space port. Suddenly, two sturdy speeder vehicles, not unlike their own Arrow-23, pulled out from groves of trees on either side of the road causing Caden to have to swerve and come to a fast halt. Behind them the following truck stopped and took a position to watch, or block, any traffic coming down the lane towards them. Outside the Arrow, men were hopping from the other vehicles and making a semi-circle perimeter around the team. It was quite apparent that they were not Imperials but locals, and each was armed.

:ooc: Now, because Kaida was successful at her Perception check in the last thread, Jared, you can tell me that she was prepared for such a possibility and directed Caden to push through, go off-road, or whatever. Or you guys can stop and see what is up.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Jingo

' Caden even got a courteous wave from one gray-suited Imperial driver that passed them down the country lane on which they drove. Still, it made the team keep an eye on their surroundings.' is not a valid dice string!

Kaida smiled and waved also, playing the role of the happy couple. "Blast...  I hate it when they wave," she muttered, "It makes killing them more difficult, realizing that they're human too."

It was so easy to forget the imperials came from families too, had loved ones, had spouses who loved and cared for them. That they were somebody's brother, father, son. She probably would have enjoyed a good talk or stroll or drink with any one of these men. Most were probably decent people just taking orders.  But this was nothing new. Just on the wrong side of the battle lines.

She broke of that line thinking. It wouldn't do any good and would only cause her flinch or hesitate at a crucial moment. She had picked her side in this war and they had picked theirs. Someday they would see an end to it.

But not yet.

It was then that Kaida began noticing the vehicle following them. Thoughts of not being willing to kill and fight fled when alarm bells sounded in her head when the truck followed them them onto the smaller road.

But these were locals weren't they? Perhaps... just perhaps they had found a resistance group. Or rather a resistance group had found them. Or, she frowned, they were imperials dressed like locals. That was a happy thought.

Wouldn't a resistance group contact them more subtly?

"Start slowing down, but be ready to move if needed," she told Caden and she motioned for Abby and BIT to be ready to fight if needed. Then she took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

She rid her mind of external thoughts and concerns, and for a few seconds simply floated and considered options, searching her feelings, and trying to sense the immediate repercussions of talking to these people. Master Farok had taught her this technique. Sometimes you could sense the immediate results of an action. As the vehicle slowed, she stretched her feelings.

:ooc: I'm going to try doing a Use the Force (page 77 core book), specifically Search Your Feelings. Whoo whoo. First force roll of my char. Not sure if this works in this way. But I want to determine if stopping and talking with them and mentioning that we're looking to ally with a resistance group will lead to favorable results or if she gets the sense that such an admission would lead to them getting shot or captured by this group.

Here's my roll:
Use the Force 1d20+11 : 2 + 11, total 13

Jingo

Feb 13, 2013, 08:16 PM #3 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2013, 09:11 AM by Jingo
:ooc: Figures... she needs more training.  :) Since I needed a 15, I'll just keep going here.

The shuddering of the vehicle and the nearness of Caden--heavens, what was that smell? -- distracted her and her eyes popped open. She sighed. Figures. They'd have to do this the usual way. "We'd better just talk. If they wanted us dead, they would have been shooting already. And shooting is only going to attract unwanted attention. But still. Be ready. We might be making a fast get-away."

As their vehicle stopped, Kaida stepped out and folded her arms across her breast, leaning against her doorway, looking unconcerned. She could jump in backwards quickly if needed.

She filled her demeanor with all the hauteur her nobility possessed and forcefully directed her gaze and presence at those approaching.

"What is the meaning of this?"

:ooc: As the She keeps her face impassive and looks about for the leader of this little get together.

GandalfOfBorg

BIT immediately had pistol in hand and double-checked the charge on his power pack -- he was ready to fight his way out of this if need be.  "Get ready, kid.  If you're packing, get it out.  If not, keep your head down."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: The Arrow-23 is a compartmented vehicle, meaning it is just like a car - almost like a Humvee. So, let me know if you are getting out of he vehicle, too, Matt.

Sam's defensive programming went into automatic, as he watched Kaida step from the Arrow-23 and confront these men. The internal storage compartment on his leg opened and revealed his blaster pistol. He got out of his seat in a hunch and moved to the back of the speeder to one of the two roof turret openings. The droid did not open the hatch, but put his hand on the release and watched out of the windows, poised to offer aid at the first sign.

One of the men outside approached Kaida to within about five feet - she did not recognize him. "Who are you?" he asked. "No one on this planet just throws around credits - at least not laborers. So from what we can see, you are an off-worlder. Why does someone that is not from Salliche want to see Graaf Savraan? You will answer me, now."

Around him, the other men brought weapons up to shoulders and behind them, the men on the large truck undraped an E-web cannon that was mounted in its trailer.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Though I hope we don't need it, is there a map to go with this situation lest the usual happens and we have to shoot our way out of here.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Jingo

It was a gamble, but she felt certain these were not Imperials. Had they been so, they would have flashed identification at this point. Or come in their usual garb. She didn't want this to come to bloodshed, and she doubted that they did either. So she kept her arms folded and asked a question of her own.

"Under what authority do you accost me?" Kaida demanded one eyebrow climbing.  "If I want to give the Graf some of my credits, that's my business. What is it to you? Are you friends of his and perhaps I gave too little? Or did the grand sum of 50 credits draw the ire of one of his enemies?" She sniffed and looked at them sternly. "Have the people of Salliche forgotten their manners? If you have questions of me and want to talk, approach me as a civilized person would, but do not surround me unawares and wave about this weaponry in my face. I have no stomach for it. My father taught that respect engenders respect. Show some, and then we will talk."

:ooc: She's going to do a persuade roll to get them to put away their weapons and answer truthfully who they are and where their allegiance lies.

Persuade: 1d20+16 : 17 + 16, total 33

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 14, 2013, 08:45 AM
BIT immediately had pistol in hand and double-checked the charge on his power pack -- he was ready to fight his way out of this if need be.  "Get ready, kid.  If you're packing, get it out.  If not, keep your head down."

Caden nodded, just enough for BIT to notice. He readied his heavy blaster, but didn't pull it from his holster just yet - perhaps they could talk it out and learn something in the process.

He then watched Kaida get out and pull her holier-than-thou routine with the goons. He looked back to BIT and rolled his eyes; Kaida was sharp, no question -- but there was no mistaking that she was used to being... well, royal. One of these days, it wasn't going to work out well. He hoped it wouldn't be today.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Posterboy

Feb 18, 2013, 08:19 PM #9 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2013, 08:24 PM by Posterboy
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 14, 2013, 08:45 AM

Abby brushed back a loose wisp of hair and swallowed hard... she didn't have much of a stomach for gunfights. The belly of a frieghter, elbows deep is hydrolic fluid, trying to recycle the shields while squeezing out enough juice to make the jump to hyperdrive with pirates or TIE fighter bearing down on you... THAT Abby lived for. She felt comfortable with that scenerio. But this up close, gun in hand kind of confrontations made her stomach knot up.

She gave BIT a weak smile as she followed his lead and pulled her pistol from her holster. "I hope it won't come to violence yet," she said nervously grin. "We just got here, and I was looking forward to our date with that droid."

:ooc:Abby will take her pistol out, and follow BIT`s lead... meaning, she'll remain in the vehicle while he does, and exit out if he instructs her to do so. Really, she follow any else's lead here - Caden, Kaida or BIT.

tomcat

:ooc: Great posts everyone!

Matt, I will put up a map if need be, but I think we are clear for the moment. Jared's Persuasion roll has changed NPC attitudes a couple steps and has at the least now created peaceful curiousity.

"Your father sounds like a wise and civilized man," said an unconnected voice. Whomever was speaking was sitting in the front passenger side of one of the rugged speeders that barred the road. "And you sound like a woman of status although you dress like a spacer... at ease, men."

The band of armed guards surrounding the Arrow-23 lowered their weapons at the command - one of them waved to the group that had exited the large truck that blocked the road behind them. Those armed men all jumped back aboard their vehicle and it quickly drove off down the road that ran south. In front of the Arrow, one of the two speeders was re-boarded and a partial number of those men pulled away and cleared the path.

The voice continued, "So...you want to speak of manners and allegiances?" Graaf Savraan exited his speeder along with his chief of staff, who stood a close distance from his boss. "Salliche and her citizens still remember our customs of welcoming off-worlders and treating them with courtesy, after all, we are a Core World!" He smiled. It was a smile that made Kaida think of her father when he would greet emissaries to Commenor. She felt suddenly sad, but at the same time trusting of the man before her. "Forgive my men here, they have a way of protecting me and sometimes we go a little far. I am Graaf Emil Savraan." He eyed her, "You are not ISB, and you don't look like people from some other Imperial department. So why are you on Salliche? Why are you hanging around our labor rallies and offering bribes? Who are you?"

GandalfOfBorg

Glad to see that things lightening up outside, and yet BIT's "agent orange" was still acting up -- he didn't put his weapon away or lower his guard.  "All this pretty talk is just wasting time..." he grumbled.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Jingo

Kaida breathed a sigh of relief. No one else noticed, but her legs felt a little wobbly. That could have gone very wrong. It still could, but at least they weren't pointing weapons at her head any longer. She moved forward slowly, keeping her hands visible. She moved to where she could easily see his features but far enough away that she couldn't be grabbed suddenly.

Her previous sterness faded, replaced with a warm smile. "My thanks for your umm hospitality, Graaf Savraan." It was a bit of a joke, that 'hospitality', and they both knew it. Forcing someone to come to meet with you at gun point was anything but.

But still, she was prepared to let bygones be bygones. If she could indeed trust them.

She gave a polite incline of her head in his direction anyway. "My father was indeed a wise man and a kind ruler of our people. And yet he was killed because he continued to speak truth and wisdom against our oppressors. I am one who also speaks truth. For now, that is all you need know." This was hardly revealing who she was, how many hundreds of worlds would fit that description? But for now she wanted to keep it that way.

She continued, her eyes on his face. "I may reveal more in time. But first, tell me, Mr. Savraan, where do your allegiances lie with regards to the Imperial presence on Salliche? You said you are a Core world, after all."

:ooc: She watches Savraan carefully to detect any lie. It sure don't hurt to be safe.
Perception to detect Deception 1d20+12 : 12 + 12, total 24

tomcat

Quote from: Jingo on Feb 19, 2013, 06:57 PM"But first, tell me, Mr. Savraan, where do your allegiances lie with regards to the Imperial presence on Salliche? You said you are a Core world, after all."

"It's Graaf - a title that the families of Salliche have earned over generations of prosperity and success in business," said the nobleman, a slight edge to his tone for the non-deference, but it only lasted a moment. "You are quite the enigma, ma'am. Granted my men have waylaid you out here in the country, which is not a good sign of civility, but you have neither offered a name or your purpose. You question my allegiance to the Repub...Empire. You try to approach during our rally with nothing but a bribe and offered service. Service for what, I might ask?"

Savraan put his hands behind his back and rolled back and forth on his feet a moment, as he eyed Kaida. Trust was yet to be earned apparently on either side. Savraan's chief of staff spoke, "Sir, whatever business this is... I suggest we move it to another forum or leave it. Imperial patrols will be rolling past soon and we don't need to be indicted of some clandestine meeting."

The Graaf merely nodded but never took his eyes from Kaida. His jaw set and he moved forward, his form rising up in an looming stance, "One more time, young lady. Who are you and why have you sought me out? Why would you question where my allegiance lies? I want an answer and I want it now, otherwise whatever your purpose, our business will end here and now."

Savraan Persuasion [intimidate]
:00: DC 22 Persuasion +16
Rolled 1d20+16 : 15 + 16, total 31

:ooc: Kaida can detect no sign of deception, but Savraan has so far offered very little of himself. The dice roll for Savraan is in red only because he is a current opponent...this all could change, but we shall see.

tomcat

Feb 19, 2013, 07:39 PM #14 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2013, 07:50 PM by tomcat
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 19, 2013, 06:31 PMGlad to see that things lightening up outside, and yet BIT's "agent orange" was still acting up -- he didn't put his weapon away or lower his guard.  "All this pretty talk is just wasting time..." he grumbled.

Sam watched out the window and listened to the conversation begin to heat, "Seems the talk is becoming less pretty."

:ooc: Kaida is intimidated by Savraan and can either back down from this meeting, reveal some of her information (whatever you want, even if it is a lie), or attempt to flee.