• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 12:52 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Quiet

Started by tomcat, Jun 14, 2012, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Celdrahil held up his shield arm in a signal to halt the party. He peered around closely and then moved in closer to this companions.

"The northman prisoner we found spoke of the walking dead, did he not?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Dec 02, 2012, 04:56 PM This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 2d6+7 : 5, 5 + 7, total 17

:ooc: Hey Tom, I am not unhappy with your roll, but I wonder how you came up with your modifier. I see Celdrahil has a +1 Willpower and then Edrahil's +5 bonus... is there something I am missing?

The Elf nodded, "Aye... the northman did speak of them, and even Madoc made mention that he was beset by shades in the dark the night he met Mithrandir."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

:arrow: Resist Fear (TN 17): Willpower +2, Edrahil's spell bonus +5
:00:
Rolled 2d6+7 : 5, 1 + 7, total 13
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Dec 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
"Edrahil, do you recall when we were here last?  This place has an unsettling feeling of familiar and yet not.  There is something about the bodies...." Durgil's voice trails off in disquieted thought.

"Aye, laddie," says Ginnar.  "It's the reek of the wyrm that still lies over this place.  It will take an age before the world is able to wash it away."

Dirnhael remembered it well. He was nearly crushed as he dared to clamber under Scatha's belly before delivering the blow that drove it away; and nearly fell to his doom as it lifted him up, still holding onto his sword before it snapped.

He didn't want to be here.

"Let us not linger," he whispered. "Speed is our strength now."

Telcontar

:ooc: huh, i dunno. I printed the charactersheet out before I posted to check my numbers. I must have typed it in wrong when I was posting from my iPad.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

The company entered the now lit main corridor of the donjon. It was wide enough to allow for an easy defense, but limited so that an attacking force would only be able to enter in minimal numbers - at least to bring weapons to bear. Two to three men with long polearem-type weapons could conceivably hold the main hall for a good amount of time, as these men well knew from their prior engagement here.

The light from Edrahil's makeshift staff lit the gloom around them to a distance of twenty steps, but then quickly the darkness returned. They followed the passage to where it came to its first set of accessways and they looked into the room that once had served as their warchamber - the donjon's gathering hall. It was empty of any living thing, but the long feast table that took up the center of the room was still there. In the defused light, the group could make out a figure that sat silent at its head.

A breeze could be heard and felt as it whipped up through the large chimney that was like a huge, upside down funnel made of brass. It hung by chains over an non-lit hearth that separated the gathering chamber from another on its opposite side. Two large arches were on either side of the hearth to allow passage into the other chamber.

Fengel squinted in the dim light and pointed, "It seems that some unholy light glows from our silent guardian."

The others could now see a glow near the breast of the figure that certainl was not a glint from the Sindar's warm mage light. This was a cold, consuming light - if light was even what it could be called.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

There was no use being coy, Dirnhael thought. Whoever -- or whatever -- the figure was, it was certainly aware of their presence.
"I am Dirnhael, Knight of Fornost by way of Tharbad," he said simply, "and these are my companions."

He stepped closer to the table, his hands out to his sides. A bead of sweat built up upon his forehead; he hoped that in the gloom, the figure would not see it.
"We have come a long way... will you parley?"

Telcontar

:ooc: activate Valiant trait. Bearing test for +2 to Courage for the Scene.
Rolled 2d6+1 : 2, 6 + 1, total 9
my bearing is 8.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Sorry Tom... the dice roller just does not like you here.  :(

No response came from the figure to Dirnhael's request for parley. He moved closer to the table and his friends followed him, but then a sharp cry rang through the room.

"Ai! It is Mellawyn!" It was Edrahil whose voice rang hollow and sorrowful. The Sindar approached the form and his face became one of despair. "I had heard she had died and that she now rested in the House of Mandos, but never did I fear that her body would be so desecrated. He reached out a hand to her and the glow that sat just under her throat stretched forth to meet it. He drew his hand back quickly as the light enveloped it in its deadly cold, burning the flesh.

"You knew this person?" asked Fengel from behind.

Edrahil shook his hand all the while suspiciously eyeing the cold light, "I knew here. She was of Lindon. A brave scout and warrior for Círdan. She has long been a messenger between the house of Elrond and Mithlond. Long ago we lost her, no word came to either Círdan or Elrond, save that we felt the passing of her spirit back unto Aman. We knew she no longer walked the green paths of Middle-earth. Why? How is she here?"

"By the power of the Witch-king," said a new voice, causing all the companions to start. They turned to see a gray-mantled figure standing within the archway, leaning on a gnarled staff. His hat was high and his nose seemed to extend out past its brim. Bushy eyebrows shaded the twinkling eyes below, but none who knew him would be confused by who he was, even in the shaded chamber.

"Mithrandir, you are here?" said Edrahil softly.

"Yes," he nodded. "I have come at last."

Telcontar

Celdrahil began to speak in the elven tongue of his country, but stopped and changed his speach on behalf of his companions. "Mithrandir! what news? And what devilery is this?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM #40 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 03:33 PM by tomcat
"Celdrahil? I did not know that you had come north. You will need tell me your tale and how fares the city of Minas Ithil. For now, let us prepare - the sun lays low in the afternoon sky. When the day is gone, Mellawyn will rise once more and mayhap call forth her minions - the Men of Carn Dûm. These are not men as we know them, they are either the unbodied spirits or the walking corpses of those fallen in the many wars of Angmar. The plague has helped to bolster the number of these undead and the sorcery of the Witch-king draws them to his command, and that of his chosen."

Edrahil spoke in wonder, "But Mellawyn is one of the First Born. Her spirit is immortal and not laid claim by any save Mandos."

"Yes," answered Gandalf, "it is not Mellawyn in spirit that now serves the Witch-king, but he has spoiled her body by drawing forth an unnamed spirit to reside within her. She is not unlike the barrow-wights that haunt the Tyrn Gorthad." The wizard pointed to the glow that hung above her breast. "At her throat hangs a shard from an ancient shrine in the north. It is what bestows to Mellawyn the ability to call and order the Men of Carn Dûm." He could see that they all had questions in their eyes. "Come," he said motioning to the large hearth. "Let us light a fire and I will tell you this tale in the time that we have. Fire is our friend and it will be needed if we are to be engaged this night."

Fengel and Madoc searched for any wood that could be piled into the hearth and a fire was made. While they worked, Gandalf continued his story. "After I left Madoc on the road to Fornost, I made my way as swiftly as possible to Rivendell. I needed to discuss with Elrond and others of his court about the First Age of this world - a time that is forgotten by all save a few that remian in Middle-earth. T'was during the times of the Elves, when they made war on Morgoth the Deceiver, that the first Men woke into the world. With the Elves fencing his northern fortress of Angband, it was not known but Morgoth moved east over the mountains and revealed himself to some of these early tribes. An unholy pact was made between Morgoth and those that revered him and at the same time held him in terror. The covenant was sealed with the blood of sacrifice to Morgoth and a stone shrine was built for these rituals to be performed. At times, Morgoth would appear before his servants and he corrupted the shrine and the land around it with his malice. Though Morgoth was cast out at the breaking of the world by the powers of the Valar, the shrine that was made to him still exists and is a channel to the corruption of the Evil One. Sauron long ago, and now the Witch-king, have taken advantage of this shrine and draw forth evil into the realm of Middle-earth.

"It took many days of study and discussion to discern where the shrine may be located. It was also known to your Elven kin, Edrahil, that shards of the shrine had been removed and so was the evil of Morgoth able to be given to servants as talismans to enhance their power. Mellawyn here is one such servant and she, or the foul spirit within her, serves the Lord of the Iron Land to the north."

sdrotar

"It is good to see you, my friend," Dirnhael said to Gandalf, "especially in times such as this."
He looked to the accursed Elf, saddened and angry at her desecration.
"What can be done to free her -- and those like her -- from this sorcery?"

He wondered about the men of Carn Dûm; their numbers, and their purpose.

Telcontar

Celdrahil did not lower his shield, and disregarded the succor of fire. He looked upon the possessed husk of the Eldar Maiden and a deep indignation began to well up in him. For years almost uncounted, even among the Elendili, the scions of the three house of the Edain had risen to the aid of the First Born.  To witness firsthand the perversions of the Nameless Enemy of Old was a deep psychic blow to the Prince of Ithilien.

The sigil of his house was the moon, and a silver moon lay embossed upon his shield. He rose that sigil up before the mortal remains of the elf and his breast swelled with the intake of air and the hall echoed with his voice.

"A Elbereth Gilthoniël,
o menel palan-díriël,
le nallon sí di'-nguruthos!
A tíro nin, Fanuilos!"

(O Elbereth Star-kindler
from heaven gazing afar
to thee I cry now beneath the shadow of death!
O look towards me, Everwhite!)

"Hear me lady of the west! Turn the eyes of your Lord Manwe thus. The dark power cast beyond the limit of the world has no place here! Hearken to the prayer of a son of Númenor!"

The sword arm of the knight came up bearing his heroic blade Herth-hathol and the blessed blade sought the shard in the breast of the Eldar corpse.

With a cry he thrust the point at the glowing light.

:ooc: Frodo isnt the only one who can invoke the Lords of the West.  ;D
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Tom, do you remember the source for your Edge: Heroic Item? I don't know where that came from - not that I have any problem with it - but, I haven't looked at these books in so long, I thought it'd be easier just to ask.

The touch of the Dúnedain blade to the shard at Mellawyn's throat caused an instant reaction. The shout of determination from Celdrahil was immediately countered by a horrific scream, as if the spirit of the living were being unmercifully tortured. A sharp cold ran up the length of the eldritch sword and the Dúnadan warrior felt it burn his hand. At the same time, a blast of sorcerous power eminated from the elf corpse and struck Celdrahil.

Gandalf and Edrahil turned at the scream, while the others reached for weapons, only to see their companion enveloped by the terrible attack.

:ooc: First... Celdrahil may roll his damage. I will give you the affect after I see it.

Second, Celdrahil needs to make a Stamina test TN 12 or his weapon hand will become paralyzed from the cold. The DOS will determine the effects below:

Disastrous Failure - Celdrahil cannot use his weapon hand [effect lasts 30 minutes]
Complete Failure - Celdrahil suffers -5 to any physical skill requiring his weapon hand [effect lasts 10 minutes]
Failure - Celdrahil suffers -3 to any physical skill requiring his weapon hand [effect lasts 1 minutes]
Marginal success - Celdrahil suffers -1 to any physical skill requiring his weapon hand [effect lasts 5 rounds]
Complete or Greater success - no effect

Lastly, Mellawyn needs to roll for her attack:
Casts Blast of Sorcery
:00: TN 12 Willpower +5
if successful, see RC below 2d6+5 : 1, 2 + 5, total 8

Ranged combat attack to hit
:00: TN 13 RC +2, Specialty +2
Rolled 2d6+4 : 2, 6 + 4, total 12

damage if successful 5d6+5 : 1, 1, 3, 5, 6 + 5, total 21

tomcat

:ooc: Well... you can re-read the above post as if none of the evil energy happened, because she failed her test.