• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 20, 2024, 05:09 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

On foot...

Started by tomcat, Jan 23, 2005, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

In what had seemed only moments, Dirnhael and his host were either trying to temper their animals or stood about rubbing parts where they had landed hard. The commander looked about and noticed that the dwarf still ran for the cart just across the valley. He also saw that those horses that had broke from their riders were gathering on the snow-covered road on the southeastern slope of the hills of Dol Gormain. A quick thought came and he yelled out an order to his remaining non-warrior members of his Host.

"I want the Stone-wright and the Healer to go round up the horses. Stay with them on the road to the east!" Then another thought of the Easterners - and the potential theft of the mounts - "Durgil! Bring your stealthy outrider scout and Daelhun, other than that I want the rest of the soldiers to guard the team of horses. Our Company will go in to discover this mystery of Nain's brother!"

That said, the Host began to split up leaving the original companions to enter the valley with three new members.

OOC: Hey Shawn, I do not mean to undermine any thing that you would want to command with your group, but it is just really hard to do this via PbP with so many NPC's. Anyway, if you have any other orders you would prefer to give, go ahead and I will adjust. I also am assuming that you at best controlled your horse - not coaxed her into the valley.

So this said, the Company is made up of:

Rogue Scout
Nain
Daelhun
Durgil
Dirnhael
Fengel
Lunduf
Edrahil

You have left behind the Healer, Stonesmith, and six warriors.

You guys can try a History: Realm (Arnor or Arthedain) or a History: Race (Elves or Dunedain) TN 25 if you would like.

Matt, I wanted to remind you that you have used up all of your Courage...

I am adding some visuals in the Photo Album... under Dol Gormain
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Fengel looked back towards his mount and thought about running to get more of his gear, but then thought against it. He drew Cerduil and started to jog after the dwarf that seemed intent on finding his brother. He hoped that they did not find anything else along the way... but that seemed unlikely.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Grips his axe and shield and follows the dwarf and Fengel with a doubtful feeling about finding the dwarfs brother considering what the company had encountered on the road so far.

tomcat

Durgil nods and sends the man to the head of the group while Durgil follows at the back, Daelhun nearby, with bow drawn and arrow at the ready. He lets himself fall into the surroundings -- all senses ready alert for the snap of a twig, the tensing of an bowstring, the klink of armor.

Observe (Spot) - (5+4)+3+2-1=13
Observe (Hear) - (4+3)+3+2-1=11
Observe (Smell) - (4+4)+3-1=10

tomcat

Daelhun watched as his fellow men followed the small dwarf toward the wagon. He followed behind them as fast as he could, unsheating his sword on the way and looking around to make sure nothing was waiting for them.

Observe(Spot): Roll(2d6)+6: 5,5,+6 Total:16

tomcat

OOC: Hey Shawn, I do not mean to undermine any thing that you would want to command with your group, but it is just really hard to do this via PbP with so many NPC's. Anyway, if you have any other orders you would prefer to give, go ahead and I will adjust. I also am assuming that you at best controlled your horse - not coaxed her into the valley.

OOC: Understandable. If we start doing something that really bothers me, I'll pipe up! ;)
I just had Dirnhael dismount - I wasn't going to ever try it - knew I couldn't make a 20...

Lore (History: Arnor) +7
Roll(2d6)+7:2,2,+7 Total:11 - FAIL

Observe (Spot) +3
Roll(2d6)+3:4,1,+3 Total:8 - I'LL BE LUCKY I CAN FIND MY OWN FEET ;)

Dirnhael keeps his eye out as they walk, and has his shield at the ready as they move carefully towards the toppled wagon.

tomcat

The Company walked into the valley and as they crossed into the shadow of the hills the temperature dropped dramatically - the sun's warmth now blocked. They continued along, walking around large stone blocks and broken structures that told of the greatness that was once Arnor. Images of kings of old were locked in stone and the faces stared at the Dúnedain as they passed, offering no warning or encouragement. It was Fengel who noticed it first, there were no birds - yes, it was winter and many had flown south - but, there was no sound, no visible movement, except the frozen foliage that blew in the soft wind.

He looked at Lûnduf, "Do you hear that... nothing. There are no sounds but the wind." His eyes scanned across the horizon to see if there was a rabbit, or a mouse, or any small animal that would make the nooks and crannies of this ruin a home. There was nothing.

They finally finished crossing the land that had been between the wain and them - the wagon sat unoccupied and looked out of place in its newness amongst the ruins about. The dwarven-crafted weapons still lay within the back, untouched. Durgil circled around to the front of the four-wheeled cart and the rest of the Company heard his breath hiss through his teeth.

"Lords... look here!"

Dirnhael and the rest came to the front of the wagon to see the emaciated forms of what appeared to be Nain's ponies! The animals were all drawn and there seemed to be nothing but skin and bones left. As they stood looking, the wind blew and a pungent odor could be smelled. Daelhun and Durgil walked slowly in the direction of the scent as Nain looked about the wagon for both Kúlin and his treasures.

They walked across an old road that had traveled through the center of the north-most village and climbed over a large, long, stonewall. There, stood the old foundation of a house or building but the ground was broken and a large sinkhole went down into the darkness. As they approached, the smell became overwhelming and the men needed to put their hands to mouth and nose to try and block the stench. The ground around the hole was frozen and littered with 'pellets' of sorts. Long icicles ran down what appeared to be leafless vines (or ropes?) that draped down into the hole. A terrible feeling of unease settled on the two men and they wished to be away as quickly as possible. As they began to back away, the sharp eyes of Durgil noticed a something down below catching the light of the day; it looked as if it were silver. What they did not know was that hundreds of eyes watched them.

------------ Interlude ------------

Winter was normally a time of inactivity for them, but this was the second time in many long weeks that 'food' had walked into their realm. Silent and still, they sat and watched as the Company had entered first the southeastern town and then come north - by her. Well, she had always claimed that type of 'food' for her own never letting them partake in the sweet meat. Still, they had gorged themselves on the warm, fat, brown furry ones that had wandered into their home the day before.

"The two-legs had come in alone... leave them to her", they thought. There were many of the four-legs just outside of town and they would see to the capturing of them! They began to move, coming out of cracks and holes, silent and unseen, all the while weaving a net that would ensure that none of the 'food' would escape.

tomcat

"Let us leave this place. It makes me ill just standing here and it isn't just the stench," Durgil remarks quietly. Muttering to himself, "Why does this place remind me of something so obvious and familiar?"

tomcat

Daelhun almost wretched at the smell that was all around them, its turned his stomach but he held back the dinner that was wanting to return and trudged on. The Arthedainian held his sword at the ready and his shield there as well, he was pretty sure that all his companions felt the same uneasy feeling, something more than just the smell.

As he peered down the large hole in the ground the glint of whatever it was surely piqued his interest. "I wonder..." He said to noone in particular and leaned over a bit more. "...while I would like to go figure out what is down there, I fear that we have more pressing matters to get to, we should leave this place with haste."

Daelhun wanted nothing to do with this place and the gut wrenching feeling that it gave him.

Observe - Spot: Roll(2d6)+6: 5,4,+6 Total:15 To see what is down there.

Stefan

Nain walked to the front of the wagon and knelt to look carefully at the ponies. More to himmself than to anyone around he ponders.

"What could do something like this?"

After a moment he stood once again.  Since the wagon looked untouched he began looking for tracks in the snow that might tell him where Kulin had wandered off to.

Actions:
Observe (Spot) Roll 6,2=8+6=14 to see what killed the ponies.
Observe (Spot) Roll 6,5=11+6=17 to see dwarf tracks.

tomcat

Though Durgil and Daelhun were repulsed by the odors that emanated from the pit, Daelhun still looked over the edge to get a better look at what sparkled below. It was a helmet and one of rather exceptional caftsmanship, being made to protect the head but also provide for fur wraps around the ears and neck. It looked rather new and did not belong in the sight that was before them. Daelhun then noticed that there were prints fom heavily shod feet that disappeared into the darkness under ground.

The pit was about twenty feet from top to bottom and below could be seen a passage that went deeper into the ground. The two men looked at each other wondering if Kulin would have entered such a dreadful place.

Not far away, Nain looked over what used to be his ponies for any sign of what could have caused them this death, but except for the loose skin, there was no evidence of any killing marks. He pulled at the furred flesh and made it taught in different areas and then noticed that there were a series of holes (or puncture wounds) in various spots on the carcasses. It looked as if the ponies had been stabbed multiple times.

---------------Interlude----------------

She knew they were there. She could sense them. Both by her unholy powers and by the simple pad of their feet on the ground above. In her stirred feelings - not of hunger, she had no more need for that - but a thrill. A thrill to hunt. A thrill to capture and watch as her 'prey' hung, and a thrill to torture and fill them with utter despair. She knew her brood were also desiring the 'food', but no... these were hers. She would have some pretty new pieces to add to her collection. The young ones could eat the four-legged food. She would have the rest for herself... well maybe all for herself. Perhaps she would share...

sdrotar

"The holes in the ground. The stench. The puncture wounds," thought Dirnhael. In his mind, it quickly added up to one thing.

He spied the superbly crafted weapons in the back of the wagon, and had a thought - they may need them, and soon.

"Take a weapon from the wain," he said as quietly as possible while ensuring that all could hear. "We must get back to the rest of the company and the horses with all haste!"

His voice raised slightly as he spoke with urgency.
"Now! Run!"

Dirnhael grabbed the stoutest weapon he could from the toppled wagon and gestured to the others to do the same... while they still had time...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Wiseman

"I do not care for this place and the presence that it gives off."  The Arthedainian stated as he looked futher into the pit...why did he want to know what was in there so badly?

"Perhaps we should gather the horses and move on sir."  Daelhun said as he turned and looked at Dirnhael

Stefan

"I'll not be leaving till I know where Kulin's gotten to.  And don't ye be thinking that you're going to run off with my goods.  If ye'll help me find him I give them to ya at cost."

Nain follows the booted prints toward the hole and spots the helm at the bottom easily enough.  

"I'll be right back"

and with that he steps over the edge and tries to control the slide t othe bottom.

sdrotar

Quote from: Stefan"I'll not be leaving till I know where Kulin's gotten to.  And don't ye be thinking that you're going to run off with my goods.  If ye'll help me find him I give them to ya at cost."

Nain follows the booted prints toward the hole and spots the helm at the bottom easily enough.  

"I'll be right back"

and with that he steps over the edge and tries to control the slide t othe bottom.

"I will not steal your goods, my good dwarf, but if we do not leave, no one will be around to purchase them!"

Dirnhael is incredulous as he watches the dwarf drop down the hole. Realizing that Nain has probably just accelerated what Dirnhael sees as a pending ambush, he repeats himself again:

"Grab a weapon!"

He's going to try to get his men out of here alive - the dwarf be damned...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun