• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:40 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The oncoming storm

Started by tomcat, Aug 24, 2005, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Nain and Lûnduf continued in their efforts to prepare the castle but time was running short. While Dirnhael and Company were carrying Camentir back south in the cover of night, the dwarves stood together once more on the battlements looking to see if the dark had brought any change. None could be seen. Even the Easterlings had moved out of sight although Eradin and the rest knew that they had not gone far.

The Easterling force did not look enough to make any attack on the castle. In truth it had been no larger than the force that Dirnhael had led against Eldanar, but the Company out of Fornost had the element of surprise. If the night brought nothing new, then the next would for sure - the Dwarves did not know why they felt that... they just did.

The Company of rescuers rode into the hidden nook that they had spent the night before, the Thistletyne surrounding all. They slid from their saddles, bodies from wounds aching and limbs feeling numb. Edrahil assisted the others in prepping bed rolls and the elf dug a deep hollow in the ground. He then grabbed some of the dried out bramble and piled it in the hole that centered between their blankets. He had been training these past days though none of his friends knew it; his mind practicing new arcane words while he had ridden in a semi-trance like state. Now he felt it was time to give his studies the needed test. He chanted a short incantation and the twigs sparked into a small flame.

Smiling Edrahil spoke, "Make sure the fire does not burn higher than the hole."

He then stood and walked to his saddle bags and pulled forth a bottle that was sealed. He pulled forth the stopper and walked over to Dirnhael. "This is the last of Yarë's brew. He had given me the remainder whence we left his sanctuary and bid me save until time most dire. I believe that time is now... Dirnhael, Fengel, Camentir and Daelhun shall drink from this though it will make you sleep the night through. Do not worry, Durgil and I shall keep watch."

The Sindar handed the bottle to Fengel and instructed him to take a full draught of the bitter brew, which he did. The bottle was then passed on.

OOC: I have already reflected the healing on the Status page for the elixir just given.

More to follow story wise in the morning, but feel free to add any dialogue you would like.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael smiled at his wisest companion.
"You are full of surprises, my friend," he said. "I had assumed it long since gone." He drank heartily. He hated to admit it, but he knew his strength was waning, and they all would need it to get back to Barad Eldanar, and then further south.

The trip took longer than expected - he looked at the stars and hoped they did not tarry too long and put those they left behing at further risk.

As Yare's brew took over his battered body, he drifted off to sleep - thankful that the healing potion would shelter him from such dark thoughts... even for one night.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

"I heard a brief mention of this man, Yare, when you arrived, but not much more than that.  Who is he?  Other than an apparently skilled healer," queried Durgil.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

OOC: I don't suppose that I can use my Speedy work ability on the last day to bring us even closer to our goal?

IC: Nain looked over the battlement at the open field in front of him.  The cold wind howled, chilling him to the bone.  Nothing moved in the frigid air, as if the place were dead from the shadow that had lain over it for so long.  In silence he turned and went back to his forge, there was more work to be done and he needed to complete it before the easterlings came back with reinforcements.

Wiseman

Upon the mention of the strange name Daelhun perked up.   Whoever this healer was his skills were, or should be, legendary, yet he had never heard of him.  Daelhun listened to the question that was presented, relaxing he could feel the strength coming back to him, but he could also feel his eyes getting heavier each time he blinked.

Palandil

With a nod of graditude to Edrahil, Fengel took the bottle and after a deep draw of the brew he passed the bottle on, found a space to make his bed and closed his eyes.  He quickly began to dream of home and beautiful women. :oops:

:arrow: OOC: I will be away after tonight and won't be able to post until Sunday afternoon.  Durgil and Edrahil please keep a good watch!  :shock:

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg"I heard a brief mention of this man, Yare, when you arrived, but not much more than that.  Who is he?  Other than an apparently skilled healer," queried Durgil.

Edrahil looked to Durgil as he took the bottle from Camentir, "Yarë was a Dúnadan of Arthedain who had been tutored by an Istari named Radagast. He left the cities of his folk and took up sanctuary within the southern hills of the Oiolad and saw to the gardens of Ephanial, the flower which may save the North. He was a shapeshifter as well and would take form of a great bear at times. He gave his life to aid us in the liberation of the town of Scotesfarm."

----------------------------------

The sun rose bright and clear and the Company stirred. They all felt refreshed, even Camentir who had endured weeks of torture and malnourishment. Edrahil and Durgil also felt rested even though they had spent a great deal of the night awake. The stress that was released by the rescuing of Camentir made all of them more inspired. Now they need only get back to Eldanar and then out of this forsaken land.

After a brief meal, the group mounted, Camentir behind Fengel, and they began their road south. They wove through the bramble and hills of southern Angmar always keeping low to avoid being seen. The day passed for the riders and by sunset they were much closer to their goal. Unfortunately for their comrades, the orcs they had seen two nights prior had made it to Eldanar.

Again the two Dwarves and the Dúnadan commander were called to the walls. They had been working urgently to get as much done as they could in the waning light of day but left their labours to find out why they were being called. They climbed the tower on the north face of Eldanar and the reason was quickly apparent - moving on the horizon was a large force.

Eradin could see to the west as well and there sat on the field the small host of Easterlings that had been surveying them the day before. Their number had grown as well and the Dúnadan estimated a total of 300 hundred between the two forces. He looked about at the battlements and the dummy sentries that they had displayed. He wondered if it would fool the enemy enough.

"Come," he said in a grim tone, "there is still much to do and our time is up."

:arrow: OOC: I will be in the process of putting together how we are going to be fighting out this battle. It will be either by my Mass combat rules that we had used before or with the new Helms Deep system. I need to see how easy it can be done via PbP.

Feel free to add any dialogue that you want to in the interim, but it will be just a bit longer before I have the battle ready.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Heeding the mans words Nain nods and begins walking quickly down the stairs behind the great wall.

"Aye.  We'd best continue with the work on the gates.  The rest will be less important soon enough."

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: How well does Camentir look? Does he look as though he'd be able to fight well, though I'm sure he would probably regardless.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorgOOC: How well does Camentir look? Does he look as though he'd be able to fight well, though I'm sure he would probably regardless.

:arrow:  OOC: Camentir had been beaten pretty badly and he is very malnourished, but his spirit is as high as it ever was and after the drought of Yare, he is looking much more fit. He has rags on for clothes and no weapons or horse.

Before the trio made it back down to the castle grounds, a voice called from atop the merlons. "Sir, a small group approaches with a flag of parley fluttering!"

Though it was less than half a day's ride to make it to the castle, the companions needed to stop. They needed to rest and be prepared for whatever they might find at Eldanar come midafternoon of the next day. Dirnhael sat and contemplated the travel that they had made the last... what?... twenty-two days? Yes, tomorrow would be the 23rd of January and the Dunadan was now desiring to be back to Fornost as soon as he could. The lady that waited there held his thoughts as they drifted off to sleep.

Stefan

Nain turns to the Captain.

"I'll go out.  You should stay here, the men will need someone to lead them if it goes badly and my contribution to the battle is mostly done.  Although I would appreciate Lunduf coming along in case things go badly."

Nain looks at the other dwarf expectantly.

GandalfOfBorg

When they've made camp, Durgil approaches Camentir.  "Lord, you are looking well... it is good," he fumbles.  "Tomorrow we likely ride to the midst of a battle and I would not wish you go there unarmed or unarmored.  Since we don't have any spare armor with us, you could at least take this," he says, offering the great man his dwarf-made sword.  "With my bow and short sword, I am adequately armed.  I recently acquired this from a dwarf, one of those we are off to join at Barad Eldanar; it has served me well in the short time I've had it.  I hope it meets with your approval."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: DurgilWhen they've made camp, Durgil approaches Camentir. "Lord, you are looking well... it is good," he fumbles. "Tomorrow we likely ride to the midst of a battle and I would not wish you go there unarmed or unarmored. Since we don't have any spare armor with us, you could at least take this," he says, offering the great man his dwarf-made sword. "With my bow and short sword, I am adequately armed. I recently acquired this from a dwarf, one of those we are off to join at Barad Eldanar; it has served me well in the short time I've had it. I hope it meets with your approval."

Camentir gave a smile to Durgil as he took the weapon - the captain could see by its markings that it was a fine sword made by the Dwarves of the Ered Luin and it glinted in the waning light. "I accept thy offer of such a fine weapon and know you this that neither shall I dishonour the sword or he that has lent it in time of such need."

-----------------

Durac looked down at the two Dwarves before him with a sneer, "This is who they have sent to parley!" he thought.

He had not had much dealings with the folk of the mountains, although he had heard rumours that the Dwarves that inhabited the East were beggars. In either case, he decided that he did not like them and he thought even less of the Dunedain for sending them. Well, he must get on with it...

"You come to parley for the soldiers of Arthedain?" he asked. With a nod from Lunduf, he continued. "Very well... I am Durac and I speak for my master, Sakalure, Akulahr of these lands. The terms are simple and are non-negotiable... you and the rest of the theives that have sought to steal from the Lord of this land shall vacate Eldanar immediately and surrender your arms and yourselves to the forces that are arrayed here against you. If you do not, we will see to nothing less than the total destruction of your force and take back what is ours."

He stated his terms in a calm and quiet manner and then looked down at the ground, as if expecting nothing but the total acceptance of his offer.

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: psssst.... pull an Aragorn from EROTK :lol: sorry couldn't help myself
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:arrow: OOC: I am still in the process of putting together the Rule of Battle. They will be loosely based on my battle system we used before with some new tweaks from Helm's Deep Sourcebook.

In the mean time, keep up the dialogue!  :D