• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:24 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

What still lies in Dol Gormain?

Started by tomcat, Jun 05, 2011, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 05, 2011, 09:10 AM Last Edit: Jun 05, 2011, 09:11 AM by tomcat
The companions rose early to find that the day would be wet - gray clouds sat full of rain low in the sky. Crows cawed to one another as Madoc strode out into the damp morning. His horse and gear had all been tended and prepared and even now his mount stood tied to a gate with five other horses and a pony. The blonde-headed Fengel was there talking to his horse, while he rubbed the bridge of the animal's nose. The others were nowhere to be seen. The Éothraim saw Madoc approach and nodded, "Good morning. The others are also awake, though they all seem to be off on their own errands. Dirnhael said that we will be riding within the hour so check your gear and see that there is nothing you need."

:ooc: Give me morning narrative for your PC, and mingle him into the group as you please. Feel free to use any NPC that you'd like in your narration. Fengel is by the horses; Durgil and Edrahil can be wherever you want them to be. If there is any duplicity, I will correct as needed.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nolmir

Madoc had been up early, a by-product of living in the wild for so long. It never paid to sleep in when you were on your own in the wilderness. He busied himself re-checking his gear and generally doing whatever he could to delay going downstairs for breakfast. He felt out of place in the company of lords, elves and dwarves, and now even more so as he sensed Ioreth's displeasure at their departure.

Nevertheless, he eventually went downstairs with his sack over his shoulder, his sword at his side, his arrows on his back, and his bow in his hand. He ate quickly and went outside.

"A grey morning - it seems fitting," he said quietly to himself as he walked out.

He smiled, somewhat grimly, at Fengel's greeting and instructions. "Good morning to you, as well, though it doesn't appear to be a pleasant one," he said as he looked skyward. "I've checked my gear already this morning," he continued as he went over to Gandalf's horse and checked its saddle and tack. "I don't normally need much."

As he finished, Madoc looked to Fengel, sizing him up for a moment before he spoke. "You're not a Dunadan, are you? How did you come to be in the confidence of Dirnhael?" He paused, then hastily added, "I mean no offence by asking. After all, I'm by no means nobility myself."

tomcat

Fengel looked thoughtfully at Madoc, "There was a time when Dirnhael was as us. In his heart, he still is, but the king saw fit to knight him for his deeds, and so he became a man of status. Then with his marriage to Ioreth, he became a lord of the kingdom. Prior to it all, he was a soldier. A guard for his master's house, Lord Celephain of Cardolan. I understand he is now dead. Anyway, I met Dirnhael and his companions on the road to Bree. I myself was a caravan guard, but we were assailed by orcs. Dirnhael and Angbor, along with Edrahil and Lûnduf appeared on the road and we drove the orcs away. I joined up with Dirnhael and we have been fast friends ever since."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nolmir

Madoc nodded to Fengel. "Then Dirnhael has more in common with me than I thought. I, too, was a guard, among other duties, for my lord in Cardolan, who is also dead."

Posterboy

Ginnar woke prior to the sun, gathering what few belonging he had not packed up the night before. He hoisted up his axe, feeling the familiar weight of it once again. He lifted a silently wish that the edge might opportunity to cleave orc skulls soon enough, and that his own lust for battle might be sated. Grinning to himself, he swung the axe around, "Aye, Lunduf! Tis a good day t' kill some orcs... even if be not amongst kin."

The dwarf made his way to the room where breakfast had been served in days prior and, as he had assumed, the lady of the house had ensured that a fine meal was prepared for those being sent out. Ginnar found the elf, Edrahil, already present enjoying the comforts of the Dirnhael's table. No time like the present t' test this elf, he thought as he approached Edrahil.

"Good day, master elf!" Ginnar said with a bit more enthusiasm than he intended, as he placed his axe beside his chair. "So, rumour has it, ah... that is t' say, someone told me, um... I heard you once carried my kin upon your mount. Your skill with horsecraft has reached even the halls of King Bain." He said this last bit with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes.

tomcat

Fengel answered, "Yes, there is a common history with you and Dirnhael. You will find he is more like us then other Dúnedain. The other lords, Durgil and Celdrahil, still have the old nobility burning strong within their blood."

Edrahil smiled, "Aye... Lûnduf was a regular passenger upon my horse." There was a nostalgic look upon the Sindar's face. He and Lûnduf had become good friends, which was a rare thing due to the wide division between Elf and Dwarf - especially the Sindar.

The Sindarin animus was directed at the House of Durin, as well as those of the Blue Mountains, for the crimes done upon the Elves by the Dwarves. In Menegroth the Sindarin king, Thingol, was slain by metalworkers out of Belegost who had become enamored by the Nauglamír. Then later in the Second Age, Durin's house closed its doors to the Elves of Eregion as they tried to flee the might of Sauron. Upon the western feet of the Misty Mountains, the Elves were slaughtered and no aid came.

These crimes were long ago, but still cut deep the ties between the two folk. It was indeed a rarity that the bond of friendship was so strong between Edrahil and Lûnduf, and the Sindarin mage was glad that they had overcome the long grudge. Perhaps there would be more friendships, and tight bonds, in the future for these Free Folk.

Edrhil cleared the reverie from his mind, "I hear a pony has been prepared for you, Sir Ginnar, but should you find it more comfortable to be my passenger, I welcome you."

Posterboy

The was no hiding the fact that Ginnar had no love for horseflesh, his distain noticable in the lines of his face as he grimaced when the elf made mention of a pony having been prepared for him. "T' be honest, Master Edrahil, and I mean no disrespect, but neither seem so appealing." He paused for a moment, as if weighing the options, before continuing, "And, yet, t'would be a shame you and the others wetting your blades with the Shadow's blood, while I be left behind, hiking the good earth with my feet, missing all the exciting parts of the journey ahead, hmm." He looked back at the elf, knowingly looking past all the bad history that came between their two kin. This was Edrahil, and the elf had proven himself an honourable companion to his cousin, and that was all Ginnar needed to forget history. "I suppose I shall try the pony then. T'would be rude t' turn away the hospitality of the Lord..."

With more stern and serious look, though with a twinkle in his eye, Ginnar finished with, "... though I reserve the right t' take you up on your offer at a later time."

:ooc: Ginnar will eat a decent breakfast and then head over to the stables

sdrotar

Dirnhael awoke next to Ioreth, and after gazing upon her sleeping form, never wanted to leave again.
But leave he must, and as he readied himself, she rustled and was awakened by the noise.
He apologized, touching her cheek, and they spoke once more, lingering for longer than he intended. He realized that he would do almost anything to see her again - anything to keep her safe.
That was why he had to leave, and he told her so.

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

Celdrahil awoke early as was his custom. Not suited to idleness he checked on his own equipment and walked around the manor house. His eyes scanning and looking at the surrounding terrain, attacks he knew often came in the early morning hours and out of force of habbit he was always about with sword girded before the sun rose.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Welcome back to the days of rolling travel weariness. I was looking through my old website pages and laughed at how much work I had to put into it to keep track of weariness and wounds. Anyway, Dol Gormain is a good 6 days' ride north from out of Amarana. So, from my house rules, here is what you guys need to do for traveling and sleeping in the rough:

Overland Travel:
-A Stamina roll is made with the TN of the test equaling the number of miles traveled per day, which I am setting at 20 (thus TN 20).
-Pace on a normal day's travel is not going to be anymore than Walk (-2) or Jog/Trot (+0). If that changes, I will adjust the test(s) accordingly.
-Terrain will be average (+0) because there is still a road/path that is maintained by travel. Again, if circumstances change, I will adjust.
-You alll are riding a horse (-3)
-Net result on the TN = 15, and it is 6 days to Dol Gormain, so the aggregate will be a TN 90 extended Stamina test
-Roll 12d6 plus your Stamina (plus other) mod x 6 to get a DOS.
Degree of success determines the number of Weariness levels suffered: 3 on a disastrous failure, 2 on a complete failure, 1 on a failure, 0 on any success. Also, if a Disastrous failure is rolled, the character must stop there and then, too exhausted to keep going for that day. Roll 2d6 and subtract it from the TN to determine how many miles were actually covered before the character needed to stop. If weariness caused the party to stop for more than 20 miles, another test will need to be made.

Sleeping in the Rough:
A character recovers Weariness from the previous day normally, but upon waking after sleeping in the rough he must make a Stamina test at TN 5, plus modifiers for the following conditions: sleeping on the ground (+2), insufficient or interrupted sleep (+2), not sufficiently protected against cold, wind, or rain (+2), insufficient food or water (+2), sleeping in leather armor (+3) or in mail armor (+5).  On any success, the character does not suffer additional Weariness; on a failure the character suffers 1 level of Weariness (2 levels on a disastrous failure).

Edrahil's Stamina test
:00: TN 90 Stamina +1, Resolute +1, Tireless +4 = +6x6=+36
Rolled 12d6+36 : 2, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 6 + 36, total 81

Fengel's Stamina test
:00: TN 90 Stamina +3, Tireless +4 = +7x6=+42
Rolled 12d6+42 : 4, 6, 3, 6, 2, 4, 1, 6, 6, 3, 4, 5 + 42, total 92

tomcat

:ooc: Everyone else can make their rolls and I will give you guys narrative from the results.

Nolmir

:ooc: Madoc's Stamina Test
TN 90 Stamina +1, Resolute +1 = 2x6 = +12
Rolled 12d6+12 : 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 6, 3, 3, 1, 5, 6, 3 + 12, total 49

Posterboy

:ooc: Ginnar's Stamina Test:
:00: TN 90 Stamina +4, Hardness of Body +2   =   +6 x 6   =   +36
Rolled 12d6+36 : 1, 5, 2, 2, 5, 5, 2, 2, 4, 5, 2, 3 + 36, total 74

Telcontar

Stamina Test
TN 90 Stamina +3 = +3 x6= +18
Rolled 12d6+18 : 3, 4, 3, 6, 4, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 6, 2 + 18, total 62
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: On second thought lets just stay and let them come to us.....
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear