RPG.avioc.org

Stories - PbP => Darkening of Mirkwood [LotR TOR] => Topic started by: Eclecticon on Aug 13, 2020, 05:56 PM

Title: Death in the Marshes -
Post by: Eclecticon on Aug 13, 2020, 05:56 PM
Situation: Rescue is at hand!  The Men of Dale have brought the goblins to battle in the depths of the Long Marshes, and all the captive companions need do is live through the next minute...

Combat Advantage dice:
• Arbogast 2/2
• Beal 0/0
• Esgalwen 2/2
• Grimbeorn 1/1
• Hathcyn 0/0
• Laeral 0/0

Situation Modifiers:
• The companions have the initiative.

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• The marsh is treacherous underfoot, but both sides are equally hampered.

PC/NPC  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :vv:HOPE  :<3:END  :-X-:STANCE  :##:STATUS
Arbogast
Beal
Esgalwen
Grimbeorn
Hathcyn
Laeral
• 6 
• 4
• 6 (+3 Skirmisher)
• 4
• 4
• 8
• 0d (:C|: n/a)
• 0d (:C|: n/a)
• 1d (:C|: n/a)
• 0d (:C|: n/a)
• 0d (:C|: n/a)
• 0d (:C|: n/a)
• 13/16
• 13/13
• 12/14
• 7/12
• 8/13
• 12/11
• 10/26
• 11/27
• 27/27
• 12/31
• 11/29
• 11/28
Open
-
-
-
-
-
WEARY
-
WEARY
WEARY
WEARY
WEARY

ENEMY  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :@:HATE  :<3:END  :csu:NOTES
Goblin Warrior
Goblin Guard
Goblin Guard
Goblin Guard
Goblin Guard
Goblin Guard
• 3+1 :<|:
• 2
• 2
• 2
• 2
• 2
2d
• 2d
• 2d
• 2d
• 2d
• 2d
• 3/3
• 1/1
• 1/1
• 1/1
• 1/1
• 1/1
• 1/1
• 0/16
• 8/8
• 8/8
• 8/8
• 8/8
• 8/8
DEAD
v Arbogast
v Beal
v Grimbeorn
v Hathcyn
v Laeral

STANCES
:-X-:Forward
- action order 1

Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward
Maneuvers
(http://rpg.avioc.org/webimages/lotr/tor/forward.jpg)
:-->:Open
- action order 2

Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open
Maneuvers
(http://rpg.avioc.org/webimages/lotr/tor/open.jpg)
:<|:Defensive
- action order 3

Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive
Maneuvers
(http://rpg.avioc.org/webimages/lotr/tor/defense.jpg)
:<->:Rearward
- action order 4

Ranged combat
TN 12+ parry
Must be 2 other PC's
in Close Combat; May not
use if outnumbered 2:1

Rearward
Maneuvers
(http://rpg.avioc.org/webimages/lotr/tor/rear.jpg)
:<>:From any Stance

Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level of opponents Athletics roll.
On success, may safely flee from the scene of combat
Title: Re: Death in the Marshes -
Post by: Eclecticon on Aug 13, 2020, 06:26 PM
At the blowing of the horn, Esgalwen lets forth a wrathful cry and spurs her mount forward.  Arrows take flight from the goblins before her and the southern islet, speeding to their marks like messengers of vengeance, but she pays them little heed, instead fixing her gaze on the ragged line of goblins before her, squinting in the evening light and seeking to hind behind shields of smoke-darkened wood. 

Beneath her, the horse that has carried her across miles of half-frozen mire surges forward, well-trained by the Men of Dale to take no fright at the wild cries that erupt from both sides as she and her followers splash through the shallow water, swords in hand. 

On the western islet, Kurgak the Slayer, Servant of the Lidless Eye, brandishes his sword, broad and keen as a butcher's cleaver.  "FOOD ON THE HOOF, LADS!" he howls as he and his bodyguards quit the western islet and rush to meet the oncoming Bardings. 

As the orcs approach from one direction and the Bardings from the other, Arbogast flexes fingers long numb from cold and weariness, watching the panic rise on the faces of the lesser goblins that watch them, their black iron spears wavering.  "Be ready," he whispers.  "Be ready..."

Then the mounted Men meet the goblin line, and steel rings upon steel like discordant bells. 


:ooc: Doug, to speed things along, I'll roll Esgalwen's charge attack on the goblin warrior.  She'll need to make a successful riding check (Athletics vs TN 16 -5 for her horse's riding modifier), and if she passes she'll be able to make an attack at +3 damage. 

Riding check:
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 2, total 6
Title: Re: Death in the Marshes -
Post by: Eclecticon on Aug 13, 2020, 06:28 PM
:ooc: Nice.  Attack roll (vs TN 12 + parry rating):
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 6, total 9
Title: Re: Death in the Marshes -
Post by: Eclecticon on Aug 13, 2020, 06:31 PM
:ooc: Beautiful - with the charge bonus, that's a neat 18 damage!  Doug, would you like to tell us all how Esgalwen slays her target?
Title: Re: Death in the Marshes -
Post by: tomcat on Aug 14, 2020, 07:07 AM
What was at first an ordered line abreast, quickly became chaos as horse and men and orc clashed. They pushed up onto the islet on which the goblins stood and Esgalwen achieved her goal as the mass of horse and flailing weapons staggered their enemy.

Nimronyn came up in the mid-afternoon gloom, but still it shone with a light of its own. The Dúnadan brought it slashing down into one of her foes and cleaved half of the thing's skull away. With it dead, she threw her leg over her horse's saddle horn and slid from her seat. Esgalwen knew her strengths, and fighting atop a horse was not one of them.

"Take my mount's reins and aid any prisoner to climb on her back," she shouted to one of her company. The man nodded and took control of the horse to allow for it to become a quick escape. Euric was not far away, pushing his mount in to the fray to get to where the prisoners now stirred.

Esgalwen, with both feet on solid ground moved forward herself.

"GRIMBEORN! HATHCYN! ARBOGAST! Tell me that you live!" she cried, as a large Uruk-hai suddenly pushed through the lines to challenge her.

"Oh they live," said Kurgak, "but they are not yours to take. They only thing you will find here is that pretty head on a pike!"

Saying nothing in reply, Esgalwen snarled and rose her sword in two-hands to attack.