• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:06 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Preparations

Started by tomcat, Jul 05, 2005, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Barad Eldanar was re-manned with the Dúnedain of the King's Third Host, now under the command of Eradin. The towers were mounted and guards posted and some of the soldiers worked in earnest to build a barricade before the main gates. All the while the commanders worked within the donjon devising their plan.

During the preparations, a moment was taken by Daelhun to make amends and to extend the hand of fellowship. He walked to the couch that the dwarf Nain was resting on. They had barely had time to rest and think about the things that had happened since they had first met.

"Well met, Nain." Daelhun said as he approached the warrior. "It is good to have another of your kind amongst our ranks, you fight well." The Dúnedain warrior held his hand out to shake the hand of the dwarf.

Nain had been trying to listen to the conversations of the men but the distance and his wounds had made it difficult. Now one of the youngsters had come over to chat.

He extended his hand and took Daelhun's, "Likewise... thank ye for the compliment but I'm no warrior. I only fight because I have to. I'd just as soon be pounding dwarven steel as Easterling skulls. Any idea what the captain is going to be leading us into next?"

While the two talked, putting prior differences behind them, Dirnhael, Fengel, Eradin and Edrahil sat at the great table in the dining hall. The quartet had found a crude, but useful map of Angmar. On it showed the positions of the Witch-king's fortifications and even gave them a rough idea of his army's disposition.

The most likely route that Camentir would have been taken was the road north straight out of Eldanar. If they were to attempt Dirnhael's plan, then those that were to infiltrate Angmar needed to be swift on horse. Edrahil brought this point to the Men's attention.

"Dirnhael, if this errand is to be attempted, then it cannot be made by a large force and those that pursue must be swift. Our host that we have led out of Fornost is now but eleven strong and some of them are wounded. The Dwarves cannot ride with enough speed, if they can ride at all due to their injuries. This being said, I council that you select five of us that are able and willing to go and leave the rest with Eradin to hold and then escape the keep."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"There is no need for selection of five for I will be going.  I might also suggest, since stealth is our mode, that [nameless rogue] accompany us.  He has acquitted himself well and his skills would be boon to our errand," says Durgil smartly.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Lunduf

Gets up from the couch where he was laying after hearing some ramblings which seemed important.  Walks into the dining hall with arm gribbing ribs and using axe as a walking stick arriving towards the end of Edrahil's speech.

"And I'm supposed to sit around this keep licking my wounds while you go off and have all the fun?  "

Stefan

Listening to Lunduf's words Nain paid attention once again to the humans that were plotting their next move.  He owed them the debt of his life at least and possibly his brother's soul he didnt feel that it was right agruing with them about how to repay it weather they understood the debt didn't really matter.  He would stay or go as they saw fit.  Maybe his skills could be used to help defend the castle since he'd proved his scant warrior skills already.  Looking back at his human companion he remarked.

"You'd better et over there with your bretheren or they'll have you sitting here guarding the keep with me."

And with that Nain gives Daelhun a shove off the edge of the couch.

sdrotar

OOC: Who are our best riders, and who's wounds are a hindrance? Would the dwarves slow the pace dramatically?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Dirnhael, Edrahil, Fengel, Durgil and Daelhun. If I remember correctly, they all have at least serviceable Ride skills and didn't get too badly hacked up taking the keep...

I'm tempted to let Lunduf and Nain heal, plus their natural talents and stonecraft and building might be really handy at Barad Eldanar... and even if we pull this off, I don't expect us to be able to just mosey on home. ;)

We'll need everyone as healthy as possible.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Wiseman

OOC: Ride Skills

Daelhun: +6
Edrahil: +10
Dirnhael: +6
Durgil: +4
Fengel: +6
Lunduf: -3
Nain: -2

tomcat

Hearing Lunduf's concern and knowing that he had been with them from the start, Edrahil spoke to his comrade.

"Lunduf, it is no disrespect to your talents but speed is required here and your folk have never been keen on riding horses. I believe your talents will serve better here in the temporary defense of Eldanar alongside the men of Eradin. In fact, I believe that you and they will have a greater challenge before you then the riders that go north."

Then Fengel spoke knowing that he would be one of the chosen to go north, "Aye, don't fret Lunduf, there will be many more necks for your axe before too long."

Edrahil spoke again, "I suggest we all get some rest before the trek into the Iron Land and then leave with the cover of night."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

At Edrahil's last statement, he realized he was tired... completely worn out really.  "I'll see to the incarceration of the prisoners before anything else.  Lunduf, would you accompany me?  Your kind know stone and its work better that I and I want to make sure the cells are secure with no secret ways to escape."
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

It was decided that the four Men and the Elf Edrahil would ride north, while the Dwarves would use their considerable skills to aid the Army of the North during their absence.

Dirnhael spoke to Lunduf and Nain - the former his trusted companion in since the day he left Tharbad so long ago, and the latter had proven to be a stalwart friend to them all.

He apologized to both of them - he hated leaving them behind - he felt much more comfortable with them at his side. But this was best for them all, and even a few days at rest would help the dwarves regain their strength - so much had they spent taking Barad Eldanar.

As night fell, covering the dark lands in an star-less cloak, the Five Riders prepared to set out to take Camentir back into the light.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil yawned a bit as he prepared his gear and horse -- the night had been short yet he would be ready.  Taking a moment to appreciate his new blade, he then girds it to his saddle in a manner facillitating easy access, mounts his horse and draws his bow wanting to be prepared for anything.  The road would not be easy and he silently wished there was another tracker among them, but he vowed he wouldn't fail Camentir and so he wouldn't.
Gwaithlim Weapons