• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:28 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Force of Arms and Friends in Need!

Started by tomcat, Jun 29, 2005, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

QuoteAnd with a mischievous grin he walked toward the door to stand and fight once again at the Donjon entrance.

Edrahil called from behind the dwarf as he strode back out into the foyer towards the sounds of the oncoming fight, "You may feel better Dwarf, but your body has still sustained great wounds. It will not take much to reopen them. You best take care!"

Daelhun stood before the oncoming rush of horsemen, by his commander, for whom he was starting to get a newfound respect. The man had stormed a castle with such a small gathering of men and won through to victory.

"Perhaps they should feel the sting of our arrows m'lord!" Daelhun said, never taking his eyes off the new enemies, hoping against hope that they would be able to stem the tide that would inevitably come rushing through the castle gates. Daelhun held fast his sword in front of him.

:arrow: OOC: I re-entered the above narrative because I wanted you guys to get an idea of where each of you are... the two warriors climbed the guard towers and then ran the parapets above to find the last Easterling who blew the horn; the elf and dwarves remained in the donjon as healing was applied; Fengel and Durgil ran up to the third floor of the donjon in search of Camentir; Dirnhael, Daelhun and the scout stood outside the donjon in the sourtyard guarding the main gates of the castle.

Hearing the arrival of the horsed men, Durgil was wary and armed himself with his bow and strung an arrow ready to defend his comrades to the last if he must. He ran to the open window of the third floor to look out. From this vantage he knew he would be able to give good supporting fire from his weapon.

He looked down upon Dirnhael, Daelhun and the Dúnadan scout all standing within the center of the castle's entrance. They looked small compared to the grey shapes that rode quickly across the bridge towards them. He could see them bring up their weapons in readiness to stave off the assault as long as possible, but then something caught his eye - the standard that fluttered a couple of horse lengths back from the lead. It bore the markings of the King's Third Host... it was Camentir! Or his men! Could that be? Did Linwen survive that battle those many long days ago?

Surprised, but happy beyond all hope, Durgil yelled out over the courtyard, "DÚNEDAIN! DÚNEDAIN OF FORNOST HAVE COME!!"

As Durgil yelled, the scout that stood by Dirnhael lowered his weapon as he also recognized those that charged in. He ran forward his hands open in the sign of friendship, "HAIL... HAIL! Men of Fornost stand down!! Friends stand before you and Barad Eldanar has returned to the sons of Arnor!"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

Daelhun stood fast, for he feared a suprise, while hoping it was not...

"With care m'lord, for we just used a ruse to force our way into the fortress, it may be these persons are as well..."

His sword still in hand Daelhun looked at his leader, prepared for whatever was to come.

Stefan

"Fear not master Elf, I will do my best not to let the easterlings reopen any of my wounds or create any new ones."

Standing in the open dorway of the dunjon Nain watches as the horsemen stream into the courtyard.  His axe ready he waits for the men riding in to identify themselves as friend or foe.

sdrotar

Dirnhael nodded to Daelhun and kept Anduring at the ready.
They were deep within Angmar, and their arrival, while welcome if they were indeed of Arnor, was remarkably well-timed.

He glanced behind him at Durgil, who appeared to be at the ready from above. They would assume they were facing the enemy until proven otherwise.

It may be in bad form, but if the oncoming group were truly Men of the West - they would certainly understand Dirnhael's wariness...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Hearing the cries from both above and before them, the chargers broke off and skillfully rolled their mounts off to the left and right of the three men in the courtyard. They encircled Dirnhael and his companions and others took up position to guard the exit of the donjon and any that may come from behind the small castle.

One man rode to the fore, to both challenge and to determine if the truth be spoken, pulling back his tattered hood as he approached Dirnhael...

"Stand down! If allies you be, then there is no need to brandish weapons so! Speak your names and let me look upon your eyes so that I may determine if there is truth in your hearts."

With that said, the large man dismounted. He was tall and his hair was jet black though it was quite unkempt. The eyes that looked upon Dirnhael and Daelhun were grey and looked out of a face that was dirty and weathered. Though he looked young and hale, it still seemed as if many winters sat upon his brow. He wore tattered clothes that were intermingled with thick furs, and he wore a longsword on his hip and carried a spear within his hand.

He looked Dirnhael up and down, but his eyes settled upon the sword that the Dúnadan held in his hand, the point lowered to the ground. There came an instant look of recognition upon the man's face, "The blade Andúring of Borandil, given to a man out of Cardolan by my Lord Camentir! Is it you Dirnhael?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

"Where are you from and whom do you serve."  Daelhun asked demandingly, he still knew not what to think of the newly arrived troupe, but his sword had dipped slightly, the anticipation that reinforcements had arrived tingling his very fingers, they sorely needed them.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat

He looked Dirnhael up and down, but his eyes settled upon the sword that the Dúnadan held in his hand, the point lowered to the ground. There came an instant look of recognition upon the man's face, "The blade Andúring of Borandil, given to a man out of Cardolan by my Lord Camentir! Is it you Dirnhael?"

"It is I," he said, trying to place the face of this man. He knew how Dirnhaels' blade had been gifted to him - it was a good sign.

"We have come North to Barad Eldanar in hopes of rescuing Camentir and returning him to his homeland. It is but repayment of a debt I owe him. Alas, we have not found him here, and though we have taken this keep, our losses have been great. From where have you ridden, and why have you come?"

tomcat

"Then our chance meeting is opportune indeed!" replied the warrior. "I am Eradin and I lead what is left of the King's Third Host. We have ridden far and spent many weeks in hiding in this northern territory of Rhudaur and lower Angmar using the skills that our once great captain taught us. When Linwen led us north after Camentir was captured, we rode almost to the gates of Barad Eldanar itself but were waylaid by another force out of this compound. Needless to say, our meager force was scattered and Linwen was slain. I rallied to me what men I could and we rode north into the Trollshaws and hid."

The Dúnadan looked about pausing his story to yell a command, "Stand down men! Search the rest of the compound to make sure there are no more of the Easterlings. We don't want anyone stabbed in the night!"

That done, Eradin turned back towards Dirnhael, "Ease yourselves... come we will speak more within the donjon. I wish to hear more of your tale and how you took this keep."

The two commanders turned towards the castle making small talk as they went. As they strode up the stairs to the keep's entrance, Dirnhael could see that Nain stood there. The Dwarf had unhinged a large door from inside and had set it across the broken span. "Makes it easier to come in," he smiled as the men walked across.

Upon entry, Fengel strode up to Dirnhael as Durgil could be seen descending the stairs from the upper levels. Fengel spoke, "My Captain, there is no sign of Camentir within the keep... and this one," Fengel pointed to the Easterling prisoner that sat dejectedly upon the floor, "he says that the commander was taken north but two days ago by wain."

"Alas then! We are too late!" sighed Eradin. He looked to Dirnhael, "As I said, we had continued north even after being routed and we watched Eldanar for some time. I knew not what force was staged here and so I did not dare make a move against the fortification. My hesitance has cost us dearly!"

Then Eradin's face brightened and he asked, "But come, tell me your tale and how it is that I do not see a great host before me and yet the castle is back in the hands of the Men of Fornost!"

Edrahil stepped into the foyer at that moment, his hands holding a great deal of parchments. "I think I can explain that mystery, my good sir. It seems that the Ashâktur of Barad Eldanar has been given a great deal of commands over the last two months; commands coming directly out of Carn Dûm, and they all appear to be directed at us!" He continued, "The first order commands for Arkish to send out one hundred of his horsemen to capture and bring to Angmar a small band of 'spies' that have come north from Rivendell. The second order then commands that this upstart Host out of Arthedain be crushed and the leaders be brought before the Witch-king - that is the order that set the Angmarim and orcs upon us. With this last order, it would seem that Arkish emptied his castle leaving it an easy mark for our small force. I think luck had shined upon us when we captured the messengers that we did, for the Ashâktur did not get a chance to re-fortify. If the Witch-king discovers the status of Eldanar, he will not waste a moment in setting a large host against us to take back what was his. Whatever we do, we must be rapid in our decision making."

sdrotar

"Then it is clear," replied Dirnhael, "we must ride North and catch the wain unawares before the Enemy finds out what has happened here."

He looked around to the men.
"We still have a chance!"

"Those who are too wounded to fight should consider riding South. If this was indeed a ploy of the Witch-King of Angmar, then I do not think we shall be able to hold Barad Eldanar. It will not be a safe place for respite and healing. The Enemy has spies all around us... we must strike quickly and then make haste for Fornost."

tomcat

Eradin walked over to the hearth to warm himself. He looked around at the dining hall, seeing Lûnduf lying wounded upon a couch, as well as the other Dúnadan soldier of Dirnhael's Company. He thought about what Dirnhael had re-counted to him and how only 25 had ridden forth from Fornost and have come so far and had such a victory here at the very gates of Angmar!

He turned back to Dirnhael, "May I make a suggestion Dirnhael... perhaps a ruse? We have stung our enemy - yes, perhaps only slightly, but he will take notice. Understand, we have seen much over the last few weeks hiding throughout these lands and I will tell you, the Enemy is powerful, but even his forces have been ravaged by the plague. So, here is my charade..."

Eradin paused a moment as he thought of how best to make his presentation. "Perhaps we should make it known that Barad Eldanar is in our hands. Perhaps we make it look as if the castle is now garrisoned with a great host of men. This most certainly will draw the Witch-king's attention and he will send a great force to remedy this affront to his might. And while all of his attention is bent on Eldanar, a small group may slip into the Iron Land and rescue Camentir."

Eradin paused for the others to grasp his idea, and then continued. "Now do not get me wrong, my men and I have made great efforts in our struggles against the Enemy and I do not offer them or myself up as a sacrifice, but we will play our part in this plan so that the man who had led us for so long can be retrieved from the Witch-king's hands. We will work out the details as to how we can escape from Eldanar but hold it long enough to give those who ride into Angmar a chance to enter and exit with Camentir. In either case, I do believe we have at least a day to make any decisions and allow both our hosts of men to rest and heal. What say you to this idea?"

Wiseman

Daelhun walked into the dojon and neared the couch that the drarf was sitting on.  They had barely had time to rest and think about everything that had happened since they had met.  

"Well met, Nain."  Daelhun said as he approached the warrior.  "It is good to have one of your kind amonst our ranks, you fight well."  The Dunedain warrior held his hand out to shake the hand of the dwarf.

Stefan

Nain leads the men back into the dining hall before falling back onto the couch that he had been resting on before.  He tries to listen to the conversations of the men but the distance and his wounds make it difficult to overhear.  Then one of the youngsters comes over to chat.

"Likewise, Thank ye for the compliment but I'm no warrior. I only fight because I have to.  I'd just as soon be pounding dwarven steel as easterling skulls.  Any idea what the captain is going to be leading us into next?"

sdrotar

Dirnhael considered Eradin's plan.
Once before, Camentir's soldiers had distracted the Enemy at great cost to themselves so Dirnhael and his Company could slip by unnoticed. While they had been successful, Dirnhael recoiled at the idea of sacrificing good men once more - he did not want their blood buying his escape, and there were far too few Men of the West to hold the lines as it stood already...

He had to admit, however, that the young commander's plan had merit. Perhaps there was room for compromise.

"I have no wish to see you or your men die defending a keep we cannot hope to hold. But I see wisdom in your plan. Assuming we can recover Camentir, and make our way back - the forces of Angmar will undoubtedly be in pursuit. They will want both their captor and their keep back. I suggest that we let them have one and keep the other for ourselves..."

He could see the confusion in Eradin's eyes, but the man simply listened intently. Dirnhael thoughtfully stroked one scruffy cheek and continued.

"Let us slip away under the cover of night. Two days afterwards - when we will be near the wain - raise your banners aloft Barad Eldanar. This will catch his eye and keep it focused on the keep. It will likely take time for the Witch-King to gather his forces for an assault, but not more than a scant few days. In that time, we will try to catch up to the wain and free Camentir from his captors. We will then turn tail and make haste for the keep - hopefully still ahead of the Angmarim forces. We will reach Barad Eldanar, and then you and your men will abandon it. The Angmarim will find their keep - but no other indications that we were ever here. We will all make for Fornost together - armed, ready, and at speed."

He saw the flicker of light in Eradin's eyes - Dirnhael knew the look well - the look of a man who sees the possibilities...

"What say you?"

tomcat

Eradin smiled, "I say that you have become as wily as my commander Camentir! This plan is very sound! We shall do this... you just promise to bring Camentir home. I will see to it that my men and I escape from this cold, harsh land."

That said, Eradin then turned towards the others, "Come then, is there no food in this place? Let us find it and discuss our plans further."

Wiseman

The man looked at the dwarf, looking at his wounds, the little guy had fought well and fought naught for a cause that was his own, there was honor in this dwarf.

"I expect that the search for a brave friend of his will continue, Cementir."