• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 01:27 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Old friend's return

Started by tomcat, Jan 06, 2010, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZehnWaters

Jan 21, 2010, 06:43 AM #15 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 08:36 AM by tomcat
Vidugavin knew little of what was going on, having just met all of these people that same day.  If he had wanted adventure outside of his own realm he had certainly jumped into the middle of one.  He decided to allow Edrahil to answer whether or not Dirnhael was here, not only not trusting to identify the right person, but whether he should identify him at all.

tomcat

Jan 21, 2010, 07:39 PM #16 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 11:19 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 20, 2010, 09:10 PMCeldrahil looked at the easterner and addressed the elf. "Hail Edrahil of Lindon! I am Celdrahil. I thought not to meet the party here on the road so soon nor one of the first born. I have come at the will of the Steward of this realm to avert a widening escalation of violence. I have been sent to keep the peace, as it is feared that Dirnhael would call his dependants to arms and provoke a wider war to the benefit to the enemy of us all."

Cedrahil nodded to the easterner and dismounted. "I mean no harm to you, or your companions. I have been sent to keep the peace as an agent of the Steward of this realm, and enforce the will of the King. Where is your master the Lord Dirnhael? I would speak to him."

Edrahil smiled at Celdrahil, "Though he has become a dear friend to me and our lives have become closely bound, I call no man master. Yet, he is here and you are free to speak with him though you will need to wait until the morn. His wounds were grievous and so needed a special medicine that I brewed, but it has the effect of rendering sleep to any that partake. So, come and warm yourself by our fire, Celdrahil, and take rest. With the dawn we shall see what comes and our companions will have awoken. It will make me more comfortable knowing that there is another sword arm amongst us this eve."

The Sindar and Éothraim led their new arrival into the encampment where Celdrahil dismounted and went to the fire to warm himself. Vidugavin handed him a metal cup that contained hot tea within and the Dúnadan felt the chill dissipate with the first draught of the hot liquid. Going back to his mount, he took from his saddle a thick woolen blanket and came back to sit down with the others around the fire.

Edrahil spoke again, "You speak very fluently the Elven tongue, yet in your words I hear a bit of an accent. You are not from the North, are you? Yet you are Dúnadan so that could only mean you are from the south. Am I correct in this assumption?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Jan 21, 2010, 08:44 PM #17 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 08:48 PM by Telcontar
Celdrahil sat by the fire and rolled the tea around in the bottom of the cup listening to the Elfs words. "The mouth to my scabbard is well worn in the drawing of swords and should you require it out it will spring like the shafts of flowers after a spring rain. I was under the impression that this man was in the service of Lord Dirnhael, I did not aim my comments at you, Edrahil. If this is not so and he is a companion I will, out of respect for Dirnhael's friends, speak the common tongue. Your ears do not deceive you, I am from the south and the Sindarian tongue is still spoke among my people. The common tongue is only spoke in the cities and towns, and then only among the lesser born. My raiment is green, for I hail from fair Ithilien where my father and kin have long kept the watch against the lands of Shadow. This time is called the watchful peace among many of the wise, but in the lands of Ithilien we do more than watch. Great deeds are still done there, though the plague has ravished the land and the watch lessened in places. I did not expect to find you here or the party in this condition.
     Switching tongues he continued, The Steward is sympathetic to Lord Dirnhael's cause, but the peace must be kept at all costs. In my country we have lived with the debt of kin slaying kin and none have prospered. It is feared by some that Dirnhael will raise the standard of revolt and declare open war against his rival. I must prevent that course of action at all costs. Others with great authority have been dispatched to prevent the effusion of blood and settle this matter. My council is patience and investigation for proof, and will aid in any manner that will prevent open war.  Will you aid me in this task being better known to this party?

"You also spoke of highwaymen, what has transpired here?"

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jan 22, 2010, 12:05 PM #18 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 12:10 PM by tomcat
Edrahil listened to the Steward's messenger, "I have been beside Dirnhael and Fengel now for over a year and I cannot believe that t'would be Dirnhael rallying for revolt. Unfortunately, I know little of what is going on here, as I have only newly arrived from my own lands of Lindon. It was Mithrandir who came like a swift wind summoning me and asking that I return to Arthedain and my friends and guide them in their actions. Still, I cannot believe that it is any wish of these two men to bring war to this land." Changing to the common tongue of men, "As for what has transpired here, Vidugavin and I both by chance, or luck, came upon Fengel and Dirnhael engaged with rogues. Highwaymen that appear to have laid ambush with archers and swordsmen... so, Celdrahil, I fear that it is others that draw upon the strings of anarchy and send men to slay kin."

:ooc: Tom, your horse is posted on the Horses Thread.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

"This news is troubling but contains a note of hope. I believe it was Mithrandir who has gone to seek the King and his direct involvement in this matter. I can not say that the King will decide in Dirnhael's favour, but no matter which way this matter is settled war can not come to Arthedain from within, whether it be out of love or not. Proof will need to be required, brigands may just be brigands, but I believe I can best serve the Steward by monitoring this situation and helping to prevent any other 'accidents' or 'coincidences' from occurring. I believe we are of the same mind then."

Celdrahil stood and tossed the last bit of tea from the cup. "I will look to my horse and help to stand the watch and speak with Lord Dirnhael directly in the morning. It seems fate has brought us all together on this road this night."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jan 23, 2010, 10:44 AM #20 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 06:56 PM by tomcat
And so, Vidugavin threw a few more pieces of wood onto the fire and with few words settled into the blankets that he had taken from his horse. Celdrahil did the same, though he continued to sit up and look at the glowing embers, keeping watch as he did. Edrahil, not far away also laid down but he did not cover himself, and the blanket on which he lay was only a thin thing. It was more to keep the dampness of the snow away than to provide any true warmth, as the Elves did not suffer from the cold. Nor did the Sindar sleep. His eyes probed the night sky taking in the beauty of Varda and the blanket of stars in which she draped the world.

The night passed.

With the dawn came the sunshine and the men rose from the drug-induced slumber feeling much better than they had not twelve hours before. Fengel sat up and looked at his torn and sliced clothing, yet the wounds beneath had closed. The tissue was puckered and scarred, like many other places on the Éothraim's body, but at least he did not need worry about infection or worse, dying.

A few feet away, Dirnhael's eyes opened and blinked a few times as he tried to recollect what had happened. He slowly sat up and saw that their number had doubled. Memory came quickly flooding back to him when he saw Edrahil sitting there, but shadows remained as he looked upon Vidugavin and Cedrahil. With a groan, Pethron sat up also pushing back his own beddings and blinked at the sunlight. He too was surprised by the new faces and questions began to formulate in his mind.

Telcontar

Celdrahil address his fellow Dúnedain when he awoke and saw the puzzled look on his face, "Hail Lord Dirnhael, I came upon your party in the night. I am Lord Celdrahil kinsman of the Steward of Arthedain. It was a chance meeting that I found you and your party along the road for I was sent to find you by the steward. I think that will serve as enough of an introduction until you have eaten and collected yourself." Celdrahil smiled and tossed some soft bread at the lounging knight.

Celdrahil then set about the chores of the morning and the routine maintenance of his gear. When Dirnhael was ready to receive him he proceeded, in Sindarian,  to the heart of his errand. "Lord Dirnhael, the Steward sends his regards to you and has sent me both to warn and assist you as I may. Messengers have been sent, of which I am one, to all the parties involved in this dispute. I have been directed to warn you that no disturbance of the King's peace, armed conflict, or open warfare, or violation of the King's Commands will be tolerated, and any such actions will be viewed as contrary to the good order of the realm and an act of aggression against the King.
     My official duties complete I can also tell you Lord Dirnhael that this message has not been dispatched to you alone, so take no personal affront to it. I can also add that the Steward is sympathetic to your plight and has sent a messenger to the King to prevent turmoil within the realm and bring him abreast of the situation. I spoke to Edrahil about the action of yesterday, sometimes Brigands are just brigands, but sometimes they are not. To bad none were caught alive, evidence and proof of treachery will serve you better than swords in this matter. "

Celdrahil was a bit gruff and blunt with his comments, but his bearing was that of a soldier not a diplomat and the sincerity with which he spoke was evident.

"With your leave I will ride with you a ways and lend my sword arm should any other misfortunes attempt to way lay you. Seldom have I riden in such haste and not drawn my sword on reaching the goal."   
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

BrianM

Jan 25, 2010, 12:00 PM #22 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 12:44 PM by BrianM
Pethron awoke refreshed, but stiff and sore. He inspected his healing wounds, astonished by the quick work done by the elf's draught. The others seemed equally fit after their long sleep. The scribe noticed the additional two men who had joined their company, one of whom he knew had assisted in the battle, but the other must have arrived while they slept.

Pethron stretched and walked over to Edrahil, extending his hand and clasping arms. "Thank you, friend. The others told me of your skill with the healing arts, but now that I have experienced it for myself, I am all the more amazed, and I remain in our debt."

The newcomer who called himself Celdrahil was speaking to Dirnhael, so Pethron busied himself with cleaning and packing his gear, all the while listening to what was said. He was glad the King had taken interest in their plight. It was still clear to Pethron, however, that a message of admonishment would not prevent Methilir from continuing down his treacherous path. He would only be stopped when they could prove that he had murdered his own brother to improve his standing. Perhaps, the scribe wondered, if the steward's messenger were to witness an admission of guilt by Methilir, it would be sufficient proof.

ZehnWaters

Vidugavin was still not used to the rockier ground of Arthedain, so when he woke he found himself highly uncomfortable.  He sat up and ran a hand through his messy blond hair before looking around at the camp.  The others were already awake and getting ready so Vidugavin followed suit.  After Cedrahil had finished speaking (Vidugavin was glad when he had finally started to speak in a language he understood) he also stepped forward.

"If you would, I too would accompany you," he added.  "I would feel myself rude to not see injured to safety."  Then added upon seeing the confusion on Dirnhael's face:  "Forgive me, I am Vidugavin, son of Vilithalin, of the Ailgartha Tribe in Rhovanion."

sdrotar

Jan 27, 2010, 02:09 AM #24 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010, 02:11 AM by sdrotar
Dirnhael was more than a bit groggy and confused, but he looked to both the newcomers and nodded in thanks to Celdrahil for the bread before taking a bite.
"If Edrahil has vouched for you both, that is enough for me. You are welcome to accompany us, but I fear this trap was only the beginning of Methilir's plans. Dangerous roads lie ahead."

After gaining his faculties a bit more, he stood and stretched a bit - Edrahil's healing skills had improved, it seemed. Dirnhael was very fortunate his friend had such excellent timing.

"Celdrahil, you can be assured that open war is not my objective; only to find and protect the Lady Ioreth and Fengel's sister, Gleowyn, who dwell in Durgil's ancestral home. Methilir seeks to take Ioreth as his bride despite her wishes in order to lay claim to Durgil's lands; and to cement these claims, he has poisoned the minds of the citizenry against Durgil by - we believe - slaying his own dim-witted brother.

"I care little for lands, but much for the people that dwell upon them, and I fear the power that so-called 'nobles' like Methilir can wield over them if these treacheries are allowed to stand."

Dirnhael didn't know if Celdrahil knew of his relationship with Ioreth or not, but he didn't feel the need to reveal any more than he already had - until proven otherwise, this messenger was for all intents and purposes a politician, and Dirnhael had little use for them...
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: Love the post, Shawn! Especially the end of it!!  ;D

Game posts to follow later on.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 27, 2010, 05:04 AM
:ooc: Love the post, Shawn! Especially the end of it!!  ;D

Game posts to follow later on.

:ooc: Well, I'm sure we're all going to get along fine in the end, but everybody likes some chewy role-playing bits to mess around with, right?
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

:ooc: Definitely!  ;)

Going to allow for a bit more RP'ing here before I move us on.

Palandil

:ooc: Hey Doug, would Fengel know Vidugavin's kin?

tomcat

:ooc: You guys are from the same clan, the Ailgartha, but not the same tribe (for lack of  a better word). Still, it is possible you may have met him or at least know of his father as a tribal leader. I will let you guys RP it out. Feel free to roll knowledge checks at TN 12 to be able to put two and two together.

Vidugavin might not know about the recent Sagath skirmish with Harizän.