• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:37 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Episode 1: Murder most foul

Started by tomcat, Nov 16, 2008, 03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donimator

Sam pondered the question posed by Caden..."Weapons expert?" he thought to himself, "I'm a mechanic not a... wait - battle droid." Sam brought up the photos in his memory banks from the crime scene and compared them with images he had seen in the past. He scanned and zoomed through many images to arrive at a conclusion based on a calculation of the likely probabilities.

"It was an energy weapon - the tissues were cauterized. I have witnessed much of the effects of blaster weapons against unarmoured flesh. It was likely just a heavy, handheld weapon fired at close range. If the target was suspended as found he would have been defenceless and likely was hit square. A fragile thing is your human body."

Sam reviews the Datapad info for any schematics of the building and for any mention of security or holo-recorders in the area. If the information is lacking, Sam attempts to find a terminal or link where he can access the planetary datanet. He looks (and digs deep if he has to, to the best of his ability) for any other sources of video or images from the day of the murder in the surrounding block.

Use computer (+7) check to manipulate system if needed:
d20+7 = 11+7 = 18

Gather information (+1) (+3-Use Computer bonus) for search:
d20+4 = 9+4 = 13

Sam observed the human penchant for thinking out loud. Such an inferior form of collaboration! The amount of information he could exchange with a computer using Binary would astound them. Alas, here goes... "What do we know of the building itself? How easily was it accessed? Did the assailants need help to get in?...Who else would have occupied the building at the time? ...And this Church...what is their purpose and role on this planet? Was this an act against the organization or against the man itself?...So many questions..."

tomcat

Dec 04, 2008, 08:05 AM #31 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2008, 05:50 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] Info garnered with the successful DC 12 Gather Info checks:

Matt -

the evidence found by the police investigators was that the apartment's security system was electronically bypassed. The slicer must have been quite good due to the level of security the system operates with.

Don -

What do we know of the building itself?

The building is an apartment high rise with 30 stories and 290 units. The two upper stories have 5 suite units each, and the 28 lower floors contain 10 units. The elevators are key accessible only for the two top floors. The structure is made of a combo of concrete, steel framing and rebar, and glass (other building materials also used, but redundant).

How easily was it accessed?

The security of the building includes CCTV, and alarm systems in individual units (both motion and access control). There are only 175 units (including Seelig's) that are individually protected. The security systems range from level 3 efficiency to level 4 (out of 5 - meaning DC... based on attitude from the Use Comp skill).

Did the assailants need help to get in?

For you to determine.

Who else would have occupied the building at the time?

Per police questioning, of the 282 residents, 267 were home that evening and of the 15 that were not, only 9 have been verified for whereabouts.

And this Church...what is their purpose and role on this planet?

Per the history libraries... Most Bakurans were independent minded and proud of their planet. Much of the population followed the Religion of the Cosmic Balance. The Balance flowered as a faith under the hierophant Dif Istuvi. Dif wrote its sacred text, Fulcrun. He also founded the order of priest prophets known as Zanazi. Families who counted themselves among the Faithful had pairs of children close in age that followed the Rule of the Feather and Bowl. When each pair were teenagers, they underwent tests. The most promising youth obtained a small feather, while the other was given a golden bowl. The Child of the Bowl left home to join a communal Simple Home, serving the Zanazi. The Child of the Feather stayed as a part of Bakuran society and was given Zanazi funds for a more prestige education. Some Children of the Bowl left the Faith, but most submitted to a lifetime of service.

The native Kurtzen, however, followed their own mystical faith, which featured totems and symbolism.

Seelig was a barrister in the church. A station that holds a religious aspect, but also deals with the legal issues of the church. There are only six barristers within the church and each hold position within the Bakuran government. It is the way the church is able to maintain a greater influence.

Was this an act against the organization or against the man itself?

For you all to determine
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

[OOC:] With Matt down and out with vaccines and heading to India, I am going to RP for Dan for the week.

Remember, I do not have an NPC to help drive the story along like I do in Chronicles of the North (and even there I am at a loss with Edrahil stepping out for a bit  ':}), so be  sure and give me definitives in what you want to do. PbP games make it hard for 'table-discussion' between you all, but don't worry, I will keep the game together based on all of your decisions - it just might come in the way of me interjecting some quick dialogue for your PC's. Those that have been in my games long enough will know what I mean.

Dan looked at his new companions and agreed with the Rodian. It would probably be best if he didn't go to see the consort. Qinos was familiar with Brim's people, though, and he had always heard they were great hunters... once on a scent, they were hard to break loose. Hopefully that innate characteristic would help them here.

He spoke, "All right, why don't Brim and I go to this apartment to see if we can find anything that may have been missed. Caden you go and meet our witness. But there is one more thing I think that needs checked into... there is nothing on this datapad from Kal Ranie. The senator was a student of Seelig, so he says... surely he must have some insight to offer. Kex? Sam? You want to accompany Caden or us?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Dec 05, 2008, 01:05 PM

He spoke, "All right, why don't Brim and I go to this apartment to see if we can find anything that may have been missed. Caden you go and meet our witness. But there is one more thing I think that needs checked into... there is nothing on this datapad from Kal Ranie. The senator was a student of Seelig, so he says... surely he must have some insight to offer. Kex? Sam? You want to accompany Caden or us?"

"Not that I wouldn't mind a hand, of course," said Caden, "but I'm betting this gal's a little skittish right now. One person would probably be less intimidating. I'll bring my comm - if I need anything, I can call and let Sam do his thing."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Dec 06, 2008, 04:45 AM #34 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2008, 04:48 AM by GandalfOfBorg
"I have a bad feeling," Dan just glares at the quizzical looks, "yes, bad feeling that it wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to go out alone.  Caden, interview the girl alone, but backup that is out of sight would be prudent as this girl is the only witness that we know of.  Her safety is paramount.  Also the building appears to have been sliced; if we could get computer records of that night, the slicer might be traced or at least identified."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Dec 06, 2008, 04:45 AM
"I have a bad feeling," Dan just glares at the quizzical looks, "yes, bad feeling that it wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to go out alone.  Caden, interview the girl alone, but backup that is out of sight would be prudent as this girl is the only witness that we know of.  Her safety is paramount.  Also the building appears to have been sliced; if we could get computer records of that night, the slicer might be traced or at least identified."

"All right," said Caden. "Sam, why don't you come with me and keep a lookout? If anyone was thinking of interrupting our conversation, I'd bet they'd think twice after getting a look at you."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

[OOC:] Okay, that leaves Nico (Kex) to reply as to who he wants to accompany, but I am going to start the new threads. Just let me know which direction you went Nico, and I'll write you into the appropriate thread.

The companions made their decisions and then sought out Senator Ranie, who had left them in private to discuss their plans. They found Kal in his study going over some official looking documents - he smiled as the group entered, "How are things going?"

Dan quickly conveyed their initial plan to Ranie and requested the best way to get into the city. "It is almost evening, do you want to start tonight?" With an affirmative reply, the senator continued, "Very well... I will see that transport is provided to you and that the crime scene will be opened to my personal investigative team. Caden, you will find the girl in her apartment where we currently have her under guard. There too, I will see that you are allowed access. I wish you all luck."

The team turned to leave, but Qinos threw one more remark in before they set off. "Senator, we will also want to get some information from you regarding Seelig; after all, you knew him best."

Ranie nodded and replied, "Very well. Just be careful in town. The droid and the alien may not receive the warmest of receptions from our citizens... and I do apologize for that."

The senator's chief of staff led the team to a garage where two speeders had been prepared to take them all to the city.

It was a forty-five minute ride through the wooded country until the forest drew back and revealed wide green pastureland and then evidence of civilization. Salisdaar sprawled along the coastline and onto the wide pastures. It resembled Coruscant with its high towers and rushing speeder traffic.

The two speeders bearing the teams merged into the rush, splitting up as they did.