• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 08:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Now what?

Started by tomcat, Jun 27, 2009, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: I think I referenced it earlier in the story, so I may contradict myself here... but, I am going to say at least a half-mile's length. The rail line is magnetic, so there is voltage running its length, but it is shielded. So, a person could walk the length of the rail back to the house, just would need to be careful.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

Sep 08, 2009, 09:48 AM #16 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2009, 01:41 PM by BrianM
Brim watched Dan arm himself, then remembered that he had intended to obtain a weapon of his own after the firefight at the bar. Shaking his head at his own stupidity, Brim kept his eyes on Dan to see if he could discern the problem that his friend was somehow feeling.

The Rodian had learned from experience that it was a good thing to heed the warnings of Force users. Dan's gaze lingered on the open doors of the balcony for a moment, so Brim quietly stepped outside, scanning the area to see if anything was amiss.

:ooc:
Stealth Roll: Roll(1d20)+16: 12,+16 Total:28
Perception Roll: Roll(1d20)+8: 17,+8 Total:25

tomcat

Brim walked a ways out into the night, looking around as he did - behind him, Dan followed closely. The two felt the wind picking up as it blew in from the ocean, and a flare of white light suddenly illuminated the area, lightning from the oncoming storm. Both of them saw the shape on the next balcony over that attached to the central medical facility of Ranie's house. It was by the rail, and then turned and proceeded back inside, not noticing the two observers.

:ooc: The balcony overlooking the ocean is all connected, but it is sectioned off by area of the mansion.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jasper watched as the monorail car came to a halt within the house. He quickly typed a series of commands and the control panel went dark. Still not enough for the ex-trooper, he pulled a pair of insulated cutters, opened a small access door and cut the main control lines to the house's computer system. The tram would not be going anywhere else tonight - no one was escaping.

Behind him, keeping watch and cover with his Blastech E-11, Hacks waited until his friend was done sabotaging the monorail. He then started moving slow and quiet, back into the main house. The duo passed the limp forms of three of Ranie's security guards. They had been good, but they weren't ex-CIS ARC troopers, and the elite soldiers had easily taken them down. The questions were: how many more did they have to deal with? And when was the Shade going to give them the order to fire the charges that now were attached to the struts that kept Ranie's house poised over the picturesque ocean cliff?

BrianM

Sep 10, 2009, 07:24 AM #19 Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009, 10:47 AM by BrianM
Motioning for his armed friend to follow, Brim used the shadows beside the house as cover and followed after the shadow they had noticed, trying to see who it was, and whether they were supposed to be there.

:ooc: Is there any concept of fate points in this game? Kind of like "Oh look, Caden left this fully charged large caliber handgun out here on the balcony? I'll just borrow it for a moment." ;)

tomcat

:ooc: LOL! Brian that is funny! No fate points to be spent in that manner, but what I am willing to go ahead with the idea that in the two days of down time Brim was able to get himself a firearm. We can even say that Kara got him one and added a mod to it with the parts she acquired. Or maybe he picked one up when he purchased his climbing gear... just pick out what you want, and deduct the cost in the book +10% for new, at base price for used (functional), cost -20% if in need of repair.

You can say it is in his room if you don't want to change your current posts, and if Brim wants to make a short detour to procure it.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 10, 2009, 08:52 AM
:ooc: LOL! Brian that is funny! No fate points to be spent in that manner, but what I am willing to go ahead with the idea that in the two days of down time Brim was able to get himself a firearm. We can even say that Kara got him one and added a mod to it with the parts she acquired. Or maybe he picked one up when he purchased his climbing gear... just pick out what you want, and deduct the cost in the book +10% for new, at base price for used (functional), cost -20% if in need of repair.

You can say it is in his room if you don't want to change your current posts, and if Brim wants to make a short detour to procure it.

:ooc: I think that makes sense. In the Star Wars universe, it's like the Old West - everybody's always packing heat. It's kind of assumed that someone who normally carried a weapon would immediately replace it at their first opportunity.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

BrianM

Sep 10, 2009, 10:46 AM #22 Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009, 11:02 AM by BrianM
:ooc: Thanks. I think it is quite funny (and in character) that I have completely forgotten about arming Brim. I don't want to alter things too much from what's written already, so how is this ...

[IC]

Before the two of them moved into the shadows, Dan noticed his Rodian friend take another longing look at his readied blaster, and realized that Brim was still unarmed! He prided himself at being prepared for whatever might happen, and considering their encounters since they had arrived on Bakura, Dan had acquired a suitable backup. With a wry grin, he pulled a shiny new snub nosed hold-out blaster from his belt. He had picked it up a few days ago, and even had the resourceful Kara take a look at it. She had modified it slightly to boost the power from the small weapon.

Dan pushed the blaster into Brim's hands, and the Rodian responded with a grateful nod.

:ooc: I'll pay for the weapon and assume that Dan will let Brim keep it later on. Don't know if the suggested modification is possible - I'll check the books later.

tomcat

:ooc: That is perfect man!  ;) I like keeping the comic relief of it all, as well.

tomcat

Sep 11, 2009, 05:20 AM #24 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009, 05:27 AM by tomcat
Feeling a bit more confident with a blaster in his hand, the Rodian moved forward towards the medical facility's entrance. Once at the door, Brim stopped and peered round the corner into the first room. He was relieved that there were at least lights on, though they were glowing dimly to reflect the night.

Seeing nothing, the two companions moved inside and began to look about. Though this section of the house was where Ranie's personal physician and his aids resided and worked, the area was still adorned with the creature comforts of a home. Small private rooms downstairs contained either medical equipment or provided for patient recovery, while the doctor and his staff lived upstairs.

The room in which Brim and Dan found themselves was another sitting room, with luxuries of a vid screen and couches, along with what looked like a refreshment bar for any that might want to enjoy a drink on the patio balcony. There was a door in front of them and to their left, while to the right, a passage extended.

Sam had his eyes on the monorail station in Ranie's mansion, where the tram had just been recalled, when the computer panel on the Aegis beeped. The droid turned back to look and immediately noticed that the monorail controls had just gone completely offline. He tapped so buttons with no response, and then reinserted his datalink to talk directly with the house's computer.

The main computer responded to the droids input and returned the information that the main power and communication to the monorail station was completely offline. Not shut or locked down, but offline.

"Why?" queried the droid, both audibly - a custom he had picked up from humans - and electronically to the computer.

[...]
SYS ANALYSIS...
DAMAGE TO MAIN CIRCUITRY LINK AND POWER GRID...
REASON: NONE/EXTERNAL...
MONORAIL: OFFLINE
[...]

Britton Rand had always seemed to find himself in places he had never expected. Here he was now, on the planet Bakura, working for a security firm and indirectly for Senator Kal Ranie.

After the Clone War, as a soldier, Rand found himself with only a few options - to get a job with a legitimate company within the Empire, or to go off on the fringe and either sell his gun as a mercenary, or even take up the role of a bounty hunter. He had worked his whole life to follow a path that would appease his father, and so he had taken the legitimate route and hired on with the security firm, Parsec Intel and Security. But now, after the few months he spent on this backwater planet, he was beginning to feel that all he had done was sell his gun.

Rand was restless tonight for some reason, finding no way to close his eyes to get some sleep. He stood up and walked over to the window of his apartment room, which was nestled (along with his other fellow employees) in the lowest level of Ranie's mansion, within the main house. Fortunately, the apartments had the seaside exposure and had one hell of a view, that was, if you didn't have one of the massive pilings that supported the house in front of your window. Rand was fortunate not to.

He gazed out into the night watching the foamy seatide rolling in. "What a constant," he thought. He also noticed the lightning from the incoming storm, but then his eyes caught something else. On the massive strut, just to the left of his window appeared to be a small box... which had a blinking light?!

In her refresher, Kara had finished medicating herself and was starting to feel the high beginning to subside. It was quiet in her room, save for the light music that she had playing. Was another stick in order to end the night?

:ooc: Give me some narrative/dialogue/actions please for what your PC's want to do.

ZehnWaters

Britton got as close to the small box with the blinking light as he could to find out what it was.

:ooc: How do we roll dice here?

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Gregg - Rand was in his bedroom looking out his window when he saw the device, if you would please give me story narration of your PC's actions that would be great (i.e. that he hurriedly got dressed and ran out of his room, or opened his window and climbed out... or whatever). Thanks!

As for dice rolling, there is a set of dice in the to p left corner of the game forums. Click it and it should open the dice roller for you. Please give me the reason for the dice roll, skill being used, and any applicable mods. Then cut and paste the results from the dice result window.

Thanks!

ZehnWaters

:ooc: I'm going to try and make a Perception check to see if I can make out better what the box is.  Would my knowledge of Mechanics help any?

donimator

Sam pondered the possibilities for a moment. That is to say his processors ran through thousands of iterations, factoring out the unlikely to arrive at the most probable circumstance to match the facts as they were presented. Another second passed and he thought of rousing Caden, but remained connected for one instant more, scanning through the other house systems to see if there were other anomalies. An uneasy feeling began to grow but his logic compensators quickly damped it down. He needed some hard proof.

Use computer +9
Roll d20 +9 = 12 +9 = 21

Perception +11
Roll d20 +11 = 13 +11 = 24, (Use a Force Point)
Force Point +d6, 5 + 24 = 29

tomcat

Sep 11, 2009, 07:56 AM #29 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009, 10:28 AM by tomcat
Sam probed deeply into the house's computer controlled systems - from the benign such as the cycles of the washing machines, to the important of intrusion alarm and cctv systems. Though to a human's perception it would seem only moments for the droid to begin to garner information, to Sam it was internally clocked in nanoseconds which seemed to drag on and on, as the droid read through, and processed, millions of lines of code.

Finally, he found something weird. There were override codes written just a few hours earlier, that were injected into the mainframe from an outside processer. By looking at an electronic mapping of all the external inputs, Sam was able to literally see where the computer had been compromised and how. He could see an ancillary connection was made on the outside of the compound gates, and that communication to the ancillary device was still being maintained. The droid was impressed with the subtlety of the injection of the device and the codes it had discreetly overwritten. Sam also could see that there was a loop file in process. In his own processor, the droid read/viewed the file and saw it was a series of images from the mansion external cameras.

In his room, Rand's eyes opened wide with understanding as he looked at the device attached to the strut. What was worse, the soldier began to peer all around the support bracings and he could now see there were multiple devices on multiple struts.

:ooc: Gregg, your character easily recognizes the attached explosive devices for what they are.