• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 11:01 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Orland Street, the Strand

Started by tomcat, Dec 06, 2008, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Dec 06, 2008, 02:07 PM Last Edit: Dec 06, 2008, 02:15 PM by tomcat
Caden watched as the streets that the speeder soared down began to look more gloomy - not in terms of light from the ending day or from man-made sources, just in respect to the life that people knew in this part of town.

Speeder traffic had greatly reduced, and mass transit units made up the bulk of the traffic that was there. Derelict structures leaned over the streets and sad-looking businesses lit the corners. Caden saw a few bars and small stores with a more downtroddened-looking populace going to and fro. He knew this type of folk from Bestine. People who worked hard to have the meager life that they could, and all around, the shadows tried to envelope and rob them of the little they had.

The speeder flared and the door hissed open. The driver turned to face Sam and Caden, "You will find Neja in her apartment at 122 Orland Street." He pointed to the crossing street before them. "The police have been made aware that you are coming and have been relieved temporarily while you question her. Here is a commlink for you... it is tuned to both your companions and to me. Call when you are ready. Also, here is a datapad with a map of the city. It will show your location in relation to me and the other team. You can zoom in and out as you need, if you should get lost. I am not going to hang out here while you do your thing... I do not want anything to happen to Senator Ranie's speeder. So, give me a shout when you are done."

The speeder soared off leaving the companions there on the street with passerby's giving dark looks to the droid. Caden felt uncomfortable already.

Kara saw the speeder come down the street, only to stop, discharge its passengers, and then fly off.

"Well they don't belong here," she thought, as she looked the group up and down. There stood a handsome man and a B2, albeit re-configured, battledroid! "What are they up to?" she continued her thought.

Kara had been stuck on Bakura for over two weeks now. She had come in on a transport only to miss her ride out. The capital had been too costly for her to stay on the nicer side of town, and so she had roamed the Strand. Besides, she didn't care to be around the more uppity folks that resided uptown.

She continued to watch the new arrivals, as they stared down at a datapad and then began to walk up the street. "What are they up to?" she asked herself again.

[OOC:] I am sure that there are terms and phrases that are not in the genre of SW (i.e. there is probably no coffee, or whatever), but I am not all that familiar with this stuff, so bear with me.

Nick, I left your PC's backstory wide open for you to fill the gaps as to why she is here, what she does, etc.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

watanabe2k

Looking around Kara slipped the modified blaster pistol from its concealed holster and set it to stun and powered it up, and then slipped it back into its place.  Something didn't seem right to her, but then again not much seemed right to a Corellian.  She looked left and right, and then left again as she quickly walked across the street hoping to blend in with the crowd.  She wore the blood stripe pants that she always wore, but they blended in well and looked part of the jacket that she was wearing that identified her as a worker for a popular repair company that happened to use the blue and red colors as part of their motif.  Of course she had traded in a little work for the jacket to work as a cover until she could find a ship nice enough to score and make it off planet and take in to a chop shop on the outer rim, where it could be re-sold in pieces.

With the crowd busy looking at Caden and the droid, Kara felt it was an ideal time to slip in closer and see what they were up to.  Kara was getting sick of this planet, and maybe these off-worlders, from the looks of them, could be her ticket off planet.

OOC:

Hi guys, thanks for having me in the game.  I'm just going to tail them as close as I can without being too obvious.

donimator

Sam adjusts his clothes closer around him and pulls his hat down low. He sends an internal 'ping' to Caden's commlink to let him know they are connected and quickly maps the surroundings to the schematic of the city. He tracks the targets..."People! Tracks the people!", with his sensors and tries to determine if any converge on their location.

Sam moves away from Caden and looks for a location with cover where he can observe the street where Neja lives. Sam tries to remain unnoticed as Caden makes his way to the apartment.

sdrotar

Dec 07, 2008, 07:17 PM #3 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 12:59 PM by tomcat
"Sam," Caden asked, "don't let anyone by while I'm inside. My guess is that flashing my blaster isn't going to go over well, so I probably won't be ready for assassins to spring through the door."

He said the last with a grin, but in the back of his mind, he realized that was actually a possibility, and he felt a sudden chill.

He shook it off and smacked Sam in the chest with a metallic clank. "We're not getting paid enough for this, buddy."

After taking a deep breath, Caden walked across the street to the small house with the number 122 plainly showing. Kex followed close behind.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

watanabe2k

Kara hesitated as the two split up right before her eyes, she wondered whether to shadow the man and make her self obvious to the droid, or to try and shadow the droid and see what the man was up to.  She chose the former, and tried to blend in with her surroundings and sneak as close to the droid as possible without being noticed.

OOC:

Stealth Check 9+9(d20)=18

donimator

Sam stood unmoving in his watch, but then remembered that would be more conspicuous than anything. He folded his arms (but with one hand fingering the concealed catch to his 'blaster' compartment) and leaned back against the wall. He turned his head from side to side to take in his surroundings.

{OOC} Doug, you can roll Sam's Perception (+9) if an opposed check is needed.

watanabe2k

OOC: I'm pretty sure you could even take 10 on this check as you are not being hassled or anything in terms of time or environment, and thus would discover me, but I'll leave that up to the GM.  ;D

tomcat

Dec 08, 2008, 01:06 PM #7 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 01:09 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] First, Shawn, I edited your post a little. Neja is a little scared, so she is not going to just let you walk in, see the thread below and we will RP this out.

Second, yea, Sam can take 10 and thus overcome Kara's stealth roll thus sensing her presence, though he will need to look at her to get an idea of who or what... right now, all his sensors are telling him is that there is a human where she is marked on the map (see attached).

Third, when you look at the map, you will see an N marking Kex. This was because we have a K character and a C character already, so I went with N for Naboo.  ;D

Lastly, this post is a little shorter than I want it to be, but I want to get out of the office and get home, so more to follow in a short while.  ;)

Caden and Kex walked to Neja's door. They both gave a quick look around, noticing passerby's coming in both direction - working-class folk, either from the mines or factories, trying to get to their homes before the night was old.

Caden stepped to the door and pressed the button. A whispery voice followed, "Yea? Who is it?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Dec 08, 2008, 01:06 PM

Caden and Kex walked to Neja's door. They both gave a quick look around, noticing passerby's coming in both direction - working-class folk, either from the mines or factories, trying to get to their homes before the night was old.

Caden stepped to the door and pressed the button. A whispery voice followed, "Yea? Who is it?"

"My name is Caden Whitesun, and this is my friend, Kex Cahill. We're not police and we're not here to hurt you; we were sent by..."

Caden almost slipped and mentioned Kal's name, but caught himself and faked a little cough before continuing.

"...A friend. We want to make sure you're safe, but we need to ask you a few questions so we can protect you better. Our droid will stay outside, and make sure that your apartment is being protected. May we please come in and talk?"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

watanabe2k

OOC:  I'll wait for Sam the droid to notice me and take some action before I do something.  :)

tomcat

Inside her apartment, Neja felt a chill run down her back. What if these were not the men that the feds said were coming? Why did the feds have to leave anyway?

She hoped they were legit. "All right, hold on a second."

Caden heard the connection on the door close, and then the door clicked open. Swinging back, it revealed a young, very attractive woman.

"Who are they?" asked the first shadow. "I don't know," was the reply that came from the second shadow in the front seat of the speeder. "Doesn't matter though, we have our orders and those feds have left. I don't think anyone will care if there are a couple more bodies in the morgue when all is said and done. Let's get this done before the cops come back."

The speeder pulled out from the side of the road and proceeded to close the two blocks between it and Neja's house.

donimator

{OOC} I'm not a fan of the taking 10 on an opposed check as both rolls should happen simultaneously (and I don't have enough confidence in Sam's skill to have said it up front). That said, I rolled and got a 13 (+9 = 22) anyway so the point is moot

Sam recognizes that someone is taking an interest in Caden and Kex's actions from his side of the street. With the many passerby, Sam does not want to cause a scene so remains on watch but focuses in on the stranger. Leaning against a wall he folds his arms, tucking his left inside his coat to open his compartment with his blaster.

watanabe2k

Kara stayed where she was, both of her hands we visible and she was holding a tool kit, which was closed.  She figured that even if she was caught looking interested, she could always check it off to her being somewhat interested in the droid, especially as she wore the jacket of a local tech and mechanical repair company.

She did look around to try and figure out exactly what the people talking at the door were doing, and how they happened to get such a droid as one of their companions.

OOC:

Perception: 11(d20)+3=14

watanabe2k

Kara looked up and down the street, and decided to go up to the droid and talk to it.

She boldly walked up to it and smiled.  "Wow, I haven't seen a series like you up close, though I have always wanted to work on repairs on one.  So do you have any special upgrades?" she asked with a big smile and keeping her hands on her tool kit, in the least offensive gesture as possible.

tomcat

Dec 13, 2008, 07:29 PM #14 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2008, 04:35 AM by tomcat
Caden and Kex introduced themselves to Neja, attempting to generate some trust and hoping that the young woman would let them in. Across the street, Kara took the attention of Sam and the droid found himself in a quandry - his sensors continued to scan the area, while he turned to address the human female that had just approached.

It happened quickly. Although Sam was able to track the approach of the speeder, it did not indicate a threat - not until it came to an abrupt halt and five individuals leapt from the vehicle. Two stayed on one side, using the speeder as cover, while the other three made use of the available debris on the street. With weapons drawn, the evening's commuters became panicked and ran in all directions.

The night erupted into blaster fire...

[OOC:] As in my Lord of the Rings games, I will make all redundant rolls (i.e. initiative).

Situation: The heroes are attacked by a group of brutes.

Situational Modifiers: this is a surprise round for the enemy, PC actions are limited to defensive/prepatory (movement, swift) actions only.

Physical Modifiers: It is night time and -2 darkness penalty applies; debris areas on map with a 'C' offer cover.

Initiative:
Brute leader (C)- 22
Brutes (E, T, V, P)- 12
Kara-
Sam-
Kex-
Caden-
Neja-