• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:27 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Episode 1: Murder most foul

Started by tomcat, Nov 16, 2008, 03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

STAR WARS: BLACK SUN
Episode 1: Murder most Foul
Dark times - the galaxy is blanketed in fear and subjugation.
The Empire's might has spread without contest since the end
of the Clone Wars and the Emperor's Order 66. With the Jedi Order
smashed, justice no longer prevails and the darker side of the Galaxy is
revealed.

On a planet in the outer rim, still far beyond the reaches of even the mighty
Empire, other powers of evil struggle to suppress the good. For our heroes, with
a murder most foul, will be immersed into this vile underbelly of the galaxy with few
resources to aid them.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Nov 16, 2008, 04:37 PM #1 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008, 04:46 PM by tomcat
PROLOGUE: The capital city of Salisdaar on the planet Bakura, just outside the Moddell Sector in the Outer Rim

Planetary Senator Seelig had lived his life a man of the people and of his faith. He held a high position in his planet's government and was responsible for many social changes and improvements to what many considered a backwater planet.

Backwater planet indeed! Bakura had one of the finest repulsorlift industries in the galaxy along with some of the highest quality strategic metal ores. He was amazed that the Empire hadn't taken more notice of the planetary system, not that any of them wanted that. The less Imperial notice the better.

Seelig was also a man of standing within the Church of the Cosmic Balance and his piety was renowned amongst his fellows in the Senate. It was also known to his constituents and so a great deal of trust and respect was paid the politician. Such efforts on his part always deserved award - both for the soul... and the body.

The senator smiled at the young female that lay next to him. She was perfect in form, as all things should be within the Balance, and she served him so well. She worked hard to please him and thus he always had called for her during his times in Salisdaar. He heard a slight sigh of pleasure as he stroked his hand up and down her back. The moment was shattered when the chamber doors to his apartment burst open.

Seelig sat up quickly in his bed, while beside him the young consort cringed and slipped into the shadows of the bed's underside. The senator did not notice her disappear, his attention caught instead by the four figures that entered the room. One was a tall Rodian, a blaster pistol in his hand and leveled at the politician. Seelig felt utterly defenseless, heightened even more by his nudity, but still he tried to be stern, "WHO DARES!"

"Ah, Seneetoor," said the Rodian in a heavily accented manner. The Rodians were not oft known to speak outside their own language. "You knew thees would ahh-peen... canno take what not yous. Varta know, ya know?"

"It's not true!" stuttered Seelig. "I have taken nothing! I did exactly what I was told."

The Rodian made a tsk sound, which came out muffled from its snout, "Like you alwees do, eh? You seneetoor, barristooor of church... doeeng what you told, and telleeng others what to do. I tink wee show the peepul what you reeelly  like, eh?"

The gunman made a gesture and the three large muscles behind him moved to grab Seelig. They raked him from the sheets, denying him any modesty, and dragged him towards the gunman. The Rodian fired his blaster into the huge apartment window that overlooked the city and then spoke, "Breeng him here a moment."

A long, wand-like rod was pulled from the Rodian's jacket and it quickly illuminated red hot. "NO!" cried the politician as the rod was brought within inches of his eyes. With a searing sound, and the smell of burning flesh, it was applied to Seelig's forehead, scarring the man and causing him to pass out from the pain. "Hurry, there is not much more time. Tie him to the frame... let's show the peepul what kind of man they aylect."

The brutes took the limp form and using plastic ties, secured Seelig's wrists to the top of the window and his ankles to the bottom. Still unconscious, the man was sprawled before the city and any eyes that might have been looking. Done, the Rodian and the other three intruders began to exit the door, but as he left, the Rodian turned, pointed his blaster and pulled the trigger.

The blaster bolt struck Seelig's bare back and bore a hole through his spine and chest, incinerating his heart as it passed. The senator's already limp form jostled a moment from the shot, and then hung lifeless. From her place under the bed, the consort watched in absolute horror... and then the lights went out.

[OOC:] Another setup post to follow as soon as I am done hanging with my wife.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Nov 18, 2008, 01:35 PM #2 Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:18 PM by tomcat
Senator Seelig's body was found in the early light of morning by a young officer in the Salisdaar Civil Police department. The SCP officer had seen the body hanging limp in the blown out window and proceeded to call his headquarters for backup. It took less than thirty minutes to realize who the dead man was and for the Bakuran Planetary government to become completely involved.

Kal Ranie was also part of the Bakuran senate and had been one of Seelig's proteges. The young senator had come quickly when he heard of the murder and immediately had federal officers take jurisdiction from the cities police department. That done, he watched as his mentor's body was unstrung and taken away with as much ceremony that could be shown the man. It was then that Kal was called over by one of the doctors present, "Senator!"

Senator Ranie moved over to where the doctor stood by the hover-gurney. The doctor pointed to Seelig's forehead, "What do you make of that?"

"I don't know," said Ranie, a puzzled look covering his face.

Both men stared at the small scar left on the dead senator's forehead.

"I don't know?" he repeated.

Everyone froze as they heard a whimper from under the bed. With weapons drawn, the Bakuran federal officers moved towards the sound. The covers were flipped back, and the bedding thrown up from its frame to reveal a young, crying, woman. She drew back in fear of the blaster pistols aimed at her, though her body was bare for all to see.

Ranie drew in a breath. What was going on here? Seelig was a Barrister of the Church. He denied himself the pleasure of the flesh. "Officer," he commanded. "Take the young lady quickly from this room. Doctor, get the body to the morgue. All of you, let me know what you find."

Days passed.

Senator Ranie had worked fervently to suppress as much detail as he could regarding Seelig's death and his companion, to both his fellow government officials, the church, and the public. The task was becoming more difficult by the day, as there were still many questions unanswered, and the young woman was being detained. Kal did not want to see his friend's reputation more tarnished.

The young consort's name was Neja (pronounced like Asia, with an N) and at present, she was being quiet for fear of the police... and her life. She was the only witness to a murder most foul.

Kal sat in his office with his chief of staff, a younger man by ten years. "So... where do we go from here."

"Not sure," the senator replied. "Fortunately the Imperial Governor has taken only a modicum of interest. That's a good thing. The less Imperial presence we draw to ourselves, the better. We need to find out who did this?"

"Should I call upon the Federal Investigators?"

"No. I do not like how this thing looks, and I will not have Seelig's record of service tarnished, nor have his promiscuity revealed to the church. We can't use anyone tied to the government, or the city, for fear of this information leaking out." Kal sat there with his chin sitting atop his hands which were bridged. He wished that the Jedi Council was still the law of the galaxy. Kal had always respected the Jedi, and though Emperor Palpatine had called them traitors, he never believed.

"You have another idea," said his COS, recognizing the look in Ranie's eyes.

"I recently spoke with Bail Organa," offered Kal. "You know, the senator of Alderaan. He revealed something to me in confidence... and I think I know someone who might be able to help." Ranie nodded to his aid, "That will be all."

The Aegis was a weathered freighter that had seen quite a number of years in service. First to the Republic, during the Clone Wars, before the Empire, and now to the man that sat on her flight deck. His feet were propped up on the main console.

His name was Caden Whitesun and he had never lived a very responsible life. Some called him a fringer. Others, a scoundrel. With no service to the Republic, and definitely none to the Empire, Caden spent his life roaming the Outer Rim, going from port to port looking for business, in any way it could come.

Behind him, at the nav panel, sat Kex. The two men were good friends; Caden having met the man from Naboo on one of the many courier transits to that planet - back when he still worked in his parent's company. When Kex retired from Naboo's military, the two joined together to find their way in a galaxy that seemed to have gone crazy.

The other members of the ship's compliment included a droid named Sam and a Rodian. Sam had, like Caden, also come from Bestine. The droid gaining its independence when it was abandoned there by its previous owner. For a price, Caden had taken the droid off-planet with him. But over time, a relationship had grown there as well. The Rodian... well he was just on the run, and both Kex and Caden were wondering why they had let him aboard the ship. Yet, neither man could standby and watch as the Imperial Stormtroopers had tried to drag the Rodian off. So he was here too.

The final passenger aboard the Aegis was a mystery to all. An acquaintance of Cadens - a senator on the planet Bakura - had contacted him and asked if he and his ship could make a run to Alderaan. There they would receive a passenger - a man named Dan Qinos, who was currently staying within the residence of Senator Bail Organa. The money for the trip couldn't be passed on, and it was not Caden's way to ask questions.

A beep sounded behind him and the ship dropped from hyperspace. Kex made a few adjustments on the console, as the ship still soared forward on sub-light engines. They were entering an eight planet system that circled around a large yellow sun. The fourth planet was their destination and Caden looked forward to see that the planet in question was beginning to loom closer. He hit an inner-ship commlink, "All right everyone... we've arrived. Should be touching down in twenty."

Caden then opened a hailing channel to Bakura, and to the particular senator in question. "Senator... Caden Whitesun."

"Ahh, Caden," answered Kal Ranie.

"Senator, we should be planetside within twenty."

"Very good. You will find all traffic lanes have been cleared for you to land on my personal landing pad. See you soon."

The signal disconnected.

BrianM

The Rodian called Brim felt much better having found the fresher aboard the small transport.

It had been a close call. Even though he was usually adept at remaining unseen, the clones had nearly caught him. If not for the lucky encounter with the crew of this ship, he might have been taken ... to become a slave ... or worse.

Wandering away from the lounge, he bumped into the one called Caden, who he assumed was the captain of the vessel.

"My name is Brim." When he said the word it sounded like "breem", even though he was quite fluent in Basic, and had very little accent. "You have saved me from a most unfortunate fate at the hands of the clones, Captain, and I am very grateful. Unfortunately, I have very little with which to compensate you for your kindness."

Brim paused and looked about the passage, "I have worked aboard many starships, and I am handy at fixing things. Your ship could perhaps use some fixing? If you would like I will work for you to pay back my debt."

tomcat

[OOC:] I am gonna give this one more night to allow you guys a little character intro RP'ing - as the ship comes in to land.

If nothing happens, I will carry on the story.

GandalfOfBorg

"Well this will be interesting," thinks Dan.  From his bunk he gets up and heads to the cockpit.  Being his first time to Bakura, he didn't want to miss the entry -- it was his favorite part of going to a new planet.  "Mind if I join you?"

QuoteOOC: Does Dan know the purpose of his request to Bakura?  Or even why he's being sent?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Nov 23, 2008, 06:14 AM #6 Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:32 AM by tomcat
There was a thump as the Aegis landed upon the platform, which stood upon struts some 100 feet above the forested coastline below. Senator Kal Ranie had always enjoyed the country over the busy-ness of Salisdaar and had his permanent home on a piece of family-owned land north of the city. The rocky-cliffed coast was beautiful to behold, and a large, sweeping forest grew to the very edges. Kal's manse was built into the cliffside, but his landing pad was a half-mile away to minimize the noise. For convenience, there was a mono-rail that attached the two.

Steam released from the Aegis' inter-coolers as the main access ramp to the ship lowered to the deck. Inside, the crew and its passengers began to make their way down to Deck 1 and then out to the pad itself. Caden saw Senator Ranie standing there with a beaming smile that only a politician could produce. Behind him, a small entourage of security guards stood along with the Senator's wife. Both groups approached one another.

"Caden Whitesun!" Kal shouted over the sounds of the Aegis and the wind. "It has been a long time since you have been to my planet. Welcome." The two men extended and received each others' hands. "Come let us make our way to my home."

With that, Ranie led the group to the large mono-rail car and soon they were quielty whisking across the distance on a magnet wave. Outside the windows of the car, the view was breathtaking. Trees as tall as some buildings grew along the cliffside and large waves crashed below. The home of Senator Ranie was very aesthetic and it sat amongst the wooded land as if it belonged there. The mono-rail entered a tunnel on the side of the mansion and soon natural light was replaced with a glow of neon.

The car stopped and all passengers disembarked. Ranie turned to the travelers, "Accomodations have been arranged for you all and you will be conducted to your rooms momentarily. Take some time to settle and refresh yourelves, and then we shall meet once more in an hour. My home is yours." Kal ended with the standard reception of any Bakuran.

The companions were then ushered out of the mono-rail station into the house proper and were greeted with softer, more natural light and a very pleasant smell of pine blowing throughout.

GandalfOfBorg

Dan took in the scenery and inhaled deeply.  For some reason this place had quite a calming effect on him even though he preferred the stars.  "Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna take a look around... anyone want to come?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Cut

"Yes, I'm with you," Kex replied and joined Dan for a small tour.

BrianM

Brim looked nervously at the security guards accompanying the senator, half expecting them to arrest him at any moment. Things were not as bad here as in the Core though. They appeared to pay him no notice, but still the Rodian remained on guard, ready to run.

The place seemed very nice. Brim had not seen such luxury in some time. Perhaps a bath and rest would do him good. His fortunes were changing, and he would take advantage while he could.

When asked about taking a short tour, Brim politely replied, "I believe I will rest in my room. But thank you for the invitation."

sdrotar

Nov 25, 2008, 12:04 AM #10 Last Edit: Nov 25, 2008, 12:10 AM by sdrotar
Quote from: BrianM on Nov 20, 2008, 08:56 AM

"My name is Brim." When he said the word it sounded like "breem", even though he was quite fluent in Basic, and had very little accent. "You have saved me from a most unfortunate fate at the hands of the clones, Captain, and I am very grateful. Unfortunately, I have very little with which to compensate you for your kindness."

Brim paused and looked about the passage, "I have worked aboard many starships, and I am handy at fixing things. Your ship could perhaps use some fixing? If you would like I will work for you to pay back my debt."

"Handy is good," Caden replied, cheerfully patting Brim on the shoulder as he went to collect his things.

While he hadn't meant to take on a passenger, he couldn't stand by and let the Rodian be carted off for no reason. It was the good-hearted side of him, he guessed. What he knew is that it kept getting him into trouble.

For now, he figured he had little to lose by letting Brim stay. After all, he thought, maybe he was handy - and if not, it never hurt to have someone around who owed you one...

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 22, 2008, 06:45 AM
"Well this will be interesting," thinks Dan.  From his bunk he gets up and heads to the cockpit.  Being his first time to Bakura, he didn't want to miss the entry -- it was his favorite part of going to a new planet.  "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all," said Caden with a smile. "You're why we're here."

"And why we're getting paid," he thought to himself.

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 23, 2008, 06:14 AM
"Caden Whitesun!" Kal shouted over the sounds of the Aegis and the wind. "It has been a long time since you have been to my planet. Welcome." The two men extended and received each others' hands. "Come let us make our way to my home."

With that, Ranie led the group to the large mono-rail car and soon they were quielty whisking across the distance on a magnet wave. Outside the windows of the car, the view was breathtaking. Trees as tall as some buildings grew along the cliffside and large waves crashed below. The home of Senator Ranie was very aesthetic and it sat amongst the wooded land as if it belonged there. The mono-rail entered a tunnel on the side of the mansion and soon natural light was replaced with a glow of neon.

The car stopped and all passengers disembarked. Ranie turned to the travelers, "Accomodations have been arranged for you all and you will be conducted to your rooms momentarily. Take some time to settle and refresh yourelves, and then we shall meet once more in an hour. My home is yours." Kal ended with the standard reception of any Bakuran.

"Thanks, Kal - uh, Senator," Caden stammered. "Nice place you got here; even better than the last one."
Then, with a sidelong glance back towards the platform, he asked, "You've got men watching my Princess, right?"

The Aegis might be his ship's official name, but it had always been his "Princess" to him. He traded his entire family inheritance for her, and she was worth every single credit he had paid.

No matter how nice Kal's place was, if he didn't have guards watching his baby, then he'd sleep aboard her. Some called the freighter's quarters cramped, but to Caden, it was cozy... it was home.

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 24, 2008, 08:31 AM
Dan took in the scenery and inhaled deeply.  For some reason this place had quite a calming effect on him even though he preferred the stars.  "Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna take a look around... anyone want to come?"
Quote from: Cut on Nov 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
"Yes, I'm with you," Kex replied and joined Dan for a small tour.

Caden knew Kex would get the measure of the man who would become their passenger; he was shrewd that way. Better he wasn't there mucking things up.

"Enjoy, you two," Caden called back over his shoulder. He planned to catch up with Kal and see what was really going on here, because there was no need to put them up at his... palace. His old... friend... must have something secret planned, and Caden intended to find out if it was going to mean risking his neck over it.

"I'm getting a drink."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

donimator

Initiate startup sequence....
Diagnostics....
..recharge successful
..sensors operational
..servos...passed
Startup sequence complete

Sam quietly fell in behind his companions, the composite soles of his feet masking the metallic fall of his metal frame. Sam was conscious of the reactions of others to him. Separatist battle droids were disliked through much of space and every effort had been made by he and his creator to alter his appearance from the common frame he shared with them. He left his long rifle on the ship, but had his blaster concealed in his internal compartment - Sam learned never to go anywhere unarmed.

Sam stood off to the side where he had a clear view of the room. As usual, his sensors were evaluating the room while he remained motionless.

tomcat

The band of travelers seperated to their own interests.

Brim was escorted to his room by one of the Senator's security personnel and was relieved when the guard opened the door and then went off to a new duty. The man had not been rude, but nor had he been overly friendly - it was something that the Rodian was beginning to accept in this 'new' Empire.

Still, the accomodations were a far cry from what he had been experiencing over the last few months - actually since Cularin. He sat down upon the soft linens of the bed, all the while admiring the other amenities te room offered.

Kex and Dan walked through the areas of Kal Ranie's home that were considered public. It was a mixture of modern and simple - high, vaulted ceilings in the main living room made for an airy, comfortable place. A central, large brick hearth flickered with a fire and was capped over by a huge, copper flue supported from the ceilings by chains. The fire was meant only to set a mood for the windows were open on either side of the room to allow the cool breeze to blow throughout. Rich stained wood made up part of the decor both in furnishings and as paneling on some of the walls.

Both men could tell that Ranie enjoyed luxury, but vied for the simple as well as the modern. Technology did show itself in different places, but it was crafted to be part of the natural look of the room.

They continued on into a kitchen.

Caden had taken the opportunity to make his was along with Kal into what could be considered an office, although the Senator preferred to call it his study. A large desk sat amongst shelves of books that were both secular and non. Ranie was a Senator of Bakura, which also gave him a station within the church, and like his mentor, he was a lawyer. But Bakura's government was still rife with turmoil and neither position that Ranie held gave him power as wielded by the Corporation. Even though he had been elected into his position, by the people, the Bakura Mining Corporation still held full sway over the control of the planet's interests.

Some day this would change... the Senator hoped.

As they walked, only the sound of Sam's servos could be heard, but that ended once they entered the room and the droid took up his guard. Around it, the security personnel had a uneasy feeling. First, Sam was a droid. Second, he was a B2-series battle-droid... at least, he was built on that chasis. Kal brought it to Caden's attention, "You do realize you are going to have a hell of a time here with that walking automaton?"

Caden knew a bit of Bakura's history - not much, but enough to know that the human population had put down a droid uprising. The Aegis' captain smiled as Ranie handed him a glass with ice and a clear liquor. "Here," he said. "Drink this... I'll be back in a bit and we can get the others gathered. Make yourself comfortable."

The Senator left the study and disappeared with all but two of his security. Caden looked at Sam and again wondered why he had taken the droid on board. Well, besides the fee he had charged.

The hour passed quickly and soon all were gathered in the study. Caden felt a bit fuzzy after imbibing a couple of glasses of the pleasant alcohol. Senator Ranie greeted them once more to his planet and then got to business.

"Once more... welcome. I thank you Caden for making the trip and for being here. Dan Qinos I thank you for accepting the request to come. The rest of you... well, whatever assistance you may provide is appreciated.

"Let me start by saying that what you are about to be told is of the utmost in confidence, and before I begin, I must have your word that you will aid me. I have 150,000 larians to be paid as a reward for this endeavour. If this does not entice you, then I ask that you wait in the other room while I speak to those who are."

One-hundred and fifty thousand larians, the Bakuran monetary credit, could be exchanged to Imperial credits for just under 90% of value - making the reward still worth over 125,000. The groups interests were peaked.

"Very well," Ranie continued, although his face showed a slight bit of trepidation. After all, he was working with a group of scoundrels and misfits. "First let me begin by telling you of a murder." Kal went into all the particulars of Seelig's murder that he knew to tell. Everything. From the ritualistic killing, to the scar, to the young woman that had hid under the bed.

"I have not told anyone else within my government of my plan, here. I cannot say that you will find this easy, but I will offer all the aid to you that I can within the boundaries of my station, and our laws. What I am requesting is that you investigate my friend's murder. I want you to find out who did this to him and why.

"You may ask, why do we not employ our own law enforcement and investigators? It is because I do not wish to have Seelig's reputation marred anymore than it has. Also, so far, there has been very little Imperial interest - I want to keep it that way. The less imperial presence I have on this planet, the better it is for all of us. Still, there is an Imperial Governor that oversees our planetary system along with a number of others. Tieraan is his name and he has been given a backwater assignment and he knows it, thus he treats us despicably. Do not give him a reason to come here... he will take every opportunity he can to try and shine before the eyes of his superiors.

"Last of all... it would be my normal wish to request aid from the Jedi Council, but as we all know, it has been over 5 years since the Emperor's Order 66, eradicating all of the knights. Well, not all... at least I didn't believe it could be all. Anyway, I now come to you Dan Qinos. For the last few months, you have been sequestered on Alderaan, protected by Senator Bail Organa. Bail is a dear friend of mine and he relayed to me a few secrets. One of those secrets was that he had found an individual out there that had revealed talents of the Force.... you, Dan.

The Senator could instantly see the confusion on Qinos' face. He shook his head, "You are not aware of these abilities?"

sdrotar

Caden looked back to his passenger with a surprised expression.
First, he picks up the droid, then the Rodian, and now a... baby Jedi?

Why didn't he just paint "Dear Empire: Harass me" on the side of his ship and save them all a lot of time?
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Cut

Nov 27, 2008, 11:43 PM #14 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2008, 08:10 AM by tomcat
"A Jedi, or at least a person that would have been destined to become a Jedi," Kex was intrigued. He had held the two Jedi that had come to Naboo and helped them fight off the Trade Federation in very high esteem. This could make for an interesting assignment. But trying to unlock the secrets of a murder was not something he had expected to be doing. But he was pleased, that the thought of doing some investigating didn't put him off but appealed to him in some form. Out loud he spoke up. "Interesting constellation we have here, it seems, doesn't it?"