• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 11:20 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Gathering

Started by tomcat, Mar 27, 2008, 04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Gumbo, looked upon the map searching his memory for any places along the way where they might establish a base camp. When the door opened and a man appeared he did not seem to be to concerned. When the man spoke he whispered in the ear of Kori next to him, "The elf is known to this one somehow." Then as he looked upon the table, "We are going to need more food, how many flyers did you post Nori? Well, dont stand there with your mouth open come in, come in. I am Gumbo Bellybottom, from the far west. You didnt see a girl bringing beer this way did you?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Cut

Apr 23, 2008, 04:45 AM #46 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008, 05:34 AM by Cut
Caranmîr wasn't eager to share the means of his home-parting with these still somewhat strange people here, so an answer to Gumbos question didn't come to him very easily. He eyed the Hobbit cautiously, thinking about the best way to answer, when a new person, a Man, entered the room and came to his aid:
"Caranmîr? Suilad! Man le carel sí?"
Caranmîr recognised the voice instantly as that of Turumarth. These day is full of surprises, indeed, the Elf thought, and pleasent ones most of all. Gumbo's question all but forgotten Caranmîr turned and bowed respectfully to the stranger "Suilad, Turumath."
He gave Turumath a thoughtful smile "I offer you greetings as well. It is good to see you again."

Edit: Cleared things up a bit!

GandalfOfBorg

Nori groaned inwardly and a looked quiet desperation crossed his face as yet another non-Dwarf showed up.  He was, for sure, glad for the help but he couldn't help but think of more dwarf-treasure going into the coffers of non-dwarfs.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

donimator

Turumarth sidestepped and squeezed around the warrior in the doorway. Put off a bit by his unexpected entry, he actually had to scan the room to find more dwarves. He took a step in to get a full assessment of the room occupants and finally exhaled when he realized he had been holding his breath. He smiled once more at Caranmîr and began to wonder if the kuduk who addressed him was running the show.

"Er, Master...Bellybottom...Greetings to you to and all here. I didn't see any potables coming this way, but the common room is quite busy. Now if you wish to carry on, I can be brought up to speed later, pardon my interruption. I was...ah, am a resident of Esgaroth and know the land the trade routes follow quite well to the east and west...if that is of any help."

Telcontar

"EXCELLANT! Sit down here at the table! Captain Kori and I were just discussing routes of travel. He allows you to be a member of the company then your knowledge of the area will be helpful." Gumbo sat back down and called out to Beren, "If you are leaving on the way by send in more beer planning makes me thirsty!" He sat back down and began nimbling on the food that no one else in the room had seemed to touch yet. He motioned to the food on the table to the new comer. "Nori, if you wanted more of your kith and kin perhaps you should have looked for companions in the Iron Hills and not a town of men under the shadow of a dragon. So, Turumarth, what's your skill that you are offering to this enterprise of high adventure and certain doom?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Apr 24, 2008, 05:10 PM #50 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008, 05:19 PM by tomcat
[OOC:] I am enjoying the characters guys! Keep it up!

Kori paused a moment, but then seeing that the Elf and Man knew each other, nodded his head in approval. If they were already comrades, then there would be trust amongst them and that was needed in this adventure... it just may save all of their lives.

"Aye, he is welcome at our table. Come in Turumarth... and yes, please tell us what can you bring to our Company?"

The craftsman began to take inventory of those around him, as was his nature. He had a Loremaster, five warriors, and now this new stranger. Kori looked to their new companion in anticipation of his answer.

Before Turmarth could answer, again the Company was disturbed by the entrance of innkeep. Her tray was laden with more crocks of beer.

"I have heard your calls for ale Gumbo, as well as more food, but you'll need be patient a bit lad! I have a room full of patrons and your only one mouth and belly... though it seems to be bottomless!"

She set down the tray and gathered up the empties. Once done she courteously bid the Company adieu and allowed them to continue on with their task. All eyes went back to Turumarth to hear what he had to say.

Beren strode out of the old inn and made his way to his father's home. The wooden platform and stone quay lattice that made up the 'streets' of Laketown were busy with folk going about their daily business. Fishermen had fresh catch fish strung up and displayed for sale, the smell of which was at times overwhelming; kegsman and watermen tended the barrels and long thin flat boats that brought trade down the river out of the Elven relam in Mirkwood - from here, it was consumed or taken further down the lake and river to other settlements.

Beren ignored it all. He needed to pack his things and then make a stop at Garulf's smithy. The blacksmith was renowned for his metal works and the warrior knew that he would certainly have a quality dagger for purchase.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"Bah!" spat Nori and downed the rest of the ale given him by the halfling earlier.  He set the crock down a shade too heavily causing a slight crack to appear in its side and good dent in the table.  This put him in a fowler mood as he knew he'd have to pay for that.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Gumbo laughed at the outburst of the dwarf, "HAHAHa, your stocisim has its limits then. Come then, pour another beer. Dont mind the crock or the table or the cost. Bills will be paid, feathers smoothed, bellys filled, and thirst slackened despite the turning of the world. Spend your coin freely brother for in a short time we all may be dead in the dark or heroes, such is the capricousness of fate!" Gumbo rattled the silver in his pocket to assuage the fears of the dwarf. "Come Nori, a drink of your choosing, I would be loathe to set out on a journey where you had not smiled first, as a result of drink or otherwise. Aule bless all here and shower us in the hops of merriment, the greatest forge grows too hot for over use and only a break for a drink or two returns it to its fighting trim." The hobbit then flipped his pipe in the air, caught it, and put it back in his mouth showering ash all over the table. "Now, do we plan and drink, or be grim and grumpy, or surrender this quest to fate's hand and go back to the bar?" Gumbo sat back down and nodded for the map to be unrolled again, "Well Captain, take him or boot him, but let's get back to the task before the moon rises or the dragon comes a callin."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Cut

Caranmîr stared curiously at the plates filed with food. He hadn't really tasted anything else then Elvish food as yet but felt the need of nurishment. He turned to Gumbo: "Master Gumbo, would you mind me trying some of the food you have ordered? I have not eaten this kind of meal before and am curious."

donimator

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 24, 2008, 05:10 PM
..."Aye, he is welcome at our table. Come in Turumarth... and yes, please tell us what can you bring to our Company?"

Turumarth moved closer to the table and eyed the map being unfurled again. Crossing Mirkwood and then south... He decided to keep his experience with dwarves quiet for now until he knew more of the dwarves present. And unsure how his skills would be accepted in this company, he gave a short bow to Kori to gather his thoughts before continuing,

"Master Kori, my thanks. I have travelled extensively from Thranduil's realm to Rhun and points south as a tradesman. I have worked with the elves and opposed the Shadow growing in Mirkwood. If measured by stature and knowledge of arms I might not stand shoulder-to-shoulder with some in this room, but through skill and action I make an effective companion.

tomcat

Apr 25, 2008, 05:48 AM #55 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2008, 05:51 AM by tomcat
"I appreciate your extensive travel and the travails to which you have been subjected, but Vári and Beren bring strength of arm and skill of weapon; the Elf will hopefully aid us in his knowledge; Master Gumbo may eat and drink our cupboards bare, but he also brings skill at arms. Not to be discourteous, but what skill is it that you bring that makes you an effective companion?" The craftsman's question made all eyes turn to Turumarth (who may feel a bit uncomfortable depending on how he likes to talk about his business), "I do not wish to turn any away, but I need to know that we have the resources that are needed."

[OOC:] Going to allow everyone to make a Recognition test here to see if any know of Turumarth - or any of the other Company members for that matter. The results of the test will allow you to make more discourse from what you know (or think you know from reputations) or to keep your knowing thoughts to yourselves. Obviously it is not necessary to roll for recognition for those that have already written a knowledge of the other into their character background (i.e. Turumarth and Caranmîr)

The TN for an individual is based on two things, residence and race. If a character has resided in the same local region and is the same race, the TN is 10, TN 12 if in the same region or same race, TN 15 if neither. You may have a +1 modifier for related Lore skill and +1 for being in the same Order.

So, Kori's test rolls...
TN (below) Wits +2
-------------------------
Caranmîr TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+2: 2,4,+2 Total:8 [Nope]
Vári TN 12 - Roll(2d6)+3: 5,1,+3 Total:9 [Nope]
Beren TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+3: 5,6,+3 Total:14 [Nope.. but close]
Gumbo TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+3: 1,4,+3 Total:8 [Nope]
Turumarth TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+0: 4,6,+2 Total:12 [Nope]
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

donimator

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
"...Not to be discourteous, but what skill is it that you bring that makes you an effective companion?"

Turumarth tenses slightly and bows his head to Kori. "Gazardul menu ked gamelu pethem, Uzbud." (Khuzdul - "Your wisdom is as ancient as stone, my Lord). I have trained with the loremasters of Mirkwood and under the tutelage of Núr of the Iron Mound (in Iron Hills). Like Caranmîr I bring knowledge. I have also learned some secrets of the Wise to combat the Shadow. But when all fails, I have never shied away from using my staff."

Turumarth's Recognition rolls:
Wits +3

Kori - TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+3: 5,2,+4 Total:10 - no
Vári - TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+3: 2,2,+3 Total:7 - no
Nori - TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+3: 3,5,+4 Total:12 - no
Beren - TN 10 - Roll(2d6)+3: 3,5,+3 Total:11 - yes
Gumbo - TN 15 - Roll(2d6)+3: 6,3,+3 Total:12 - no

tomcat

Kori's eyes opened wide to hear the secret Dwarven-tongue spoken by a non-Dwarf and it almost caused him to miss Turumarth's words, but he composed himself and heard secrets of the Wise. The craftsman knew of the Wise and their orders of arcane spell-weavers; a skill that would greatly serve in their quest.

Ignoring the fact that the man spoke Kuzdul, Kori looked to Nori and nodded, then back to Turumarth. "Welcome to our Company!"

Kori quickly reiterates the quest to Turumarth and then continues, "As has been stated, Nori and I have purchased a wagon and a team of two horses for our trek. Laketown allows neither into the town proper, but both are stabled just on shore and we will load it tomorrow... with everyones help. I have a storage filled with the gear and rations needed to sustain us through the journey, yet, we may still need to hunt along the way. The longer we can stay away from the hard tack, the better. It is my intention that it will be used for our time within Moria although there may be food to garner inside our ancient realm as well - mushrooms and other plants. I am told that some small rodents and fish reside there too.

"Once the wagon and gear have been taken care of, we shall gather for one more meal together and then depart in the early morning. Our path seems sure enough while we are still this early in our quest, but I open the floor once more for anymore council. If there is none, then I would ask that you all go about your needs so I may confer with my nephew in private for a while. If we are done here now, I ask that you all return in the morning for the loadout."

tomcat

Apr 25, 2008, 10:04 AM #58 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2008, 10:07 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Because it is my intent to make this a quick one-shot dungeoncrawl, I want to let eveyone know that I am going to have the realm of Moria very unforgiving. So be ready and do not get too attached to your particular PC. If they come home, then you can begin to think about future options for another story I can drum up.

I say this because I have looked through all the character sheets and I noticed that most of you did not use the generation picks or advancements to purchase physical skills such as Climb, Jump, Acrobatics, Stealth, etc. I understand the mage and loremaster not being heavily skilled in these areas, but the rogue and warriors have these skills as Order skills. Not buying a rank in a particular skill not only gives the PC a +0 to said skill, but also a -2 untrained penalty... so really you're at -2 plus attribute and Order/Trait modifiers.

Not asking anyone to make changes (nor will I allow anymore changes - except for Vari who is currently being re-tooled) but I may be awarding advancements for the trek to Moria and for any small side adventures that may crop up.

I just don't want anyone upset if their character disappears forever into the darkness of a great cleft that they just tried to jump and failed. Cool?

Have fun!
  ;)  ;D

Elrohir

OOC:Do you want me to take a recognition roll?

Beren arrives at his house in the middle of Laketown.  It is a nice house, with shutters and a painted door.  Beren doesn't notice any of this as he walks by, for (what seemed like) the last time.  He went to his room and packed.  Rope, bow, rations, blanket, wallet, and torches.  Seems to be all here, he thinks to himself as he puts them all in his bag.  He is about to step outside when he runs into his father.  A look of shock crosses his face, but he quickly recovers and says, "Father, I was chosen for an adventure and I am leaving.  There is nothing you can do to stop me".  He waits for his fathers response, hoping it to be short.  But knowing his father, expecting it to be long and furious.