• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 10:58 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Ilanin

Started by tomcat, Jul 05, 2007, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jul 05, 2007, 11:13 AM Last Edit: Jul 06, 2007, 02:48 AM by tomcat
The city of Ilanin was a dynamic place in Middle-earth to say the least. It was the junction of multiple cultures - Elf, Dwarf, and Man - and because of that there was a level of tolerance mandated by the power of trade. Though rulership of the city was handed back and forth between east and west, the gates of the city were open to all who ventured forth with the desire for business. Dwarves came from the mountains; the Elves and their fine crafts issued south down the river from Greenwood; and the many tribes of men came with their wares to find the highest bidder. The predominant settlers of Ilanin were the folk of Dorwinion and though they had more blood ties to east than west, still the mood of that peaceful valley extended to the wain town and allowed a safety for any visitors.

Thuidmar had been quick to accept Fengel's offer to reconnoiter the city and Harizän's disposition and so the Company once again found themselves riding into harm's way. They had rested for three days to allow Edrahil to recover but felt to wait longer would have given Koskas too much of a head start. They donned clothes of the region to better disguise themselves, or at least to not mark them as strangers, and then strapped on their armor and weapons. Now, three days since leaving Thergas, the companions sat atop their horses looking at the sprawling town along the Carnen River at the Donu confluence.

It was called a wain town due to the numerous merchants that drove their wares to this junction and made trade out of the back of their wagons. The fortress called Uvlanin could clearly be seen to the north end where within the mayor resided along with the independent host that was maintained to protect the city. But to the east, across the river, another encampment of tents could be seen by the Company - that of Harizän the Easterling. As they took in the sight, a cheering "Hazaah!" rose faintly up to greet them emanating from the tent city of the Easterlings. Fengel wondered what it was they celebrated.

The road was before them, leading into the town...

OOC: I am going with the idea that only the Company rode out of Thergas - Fengel, Durgil, Dirnhael, Galudir, Nain and Edrahil. If you intended to bring others Paul let me know.

I will highlight different points in the town if you decide to enter.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Dirnhael tried to keep a low profile, his coat covering more of his blade than usual. While stealth was not his specialty, he was already a man of few words; something he assumed would be helpful in this village.
Looking across the river to the encampment, he nudged his Eothraim friend.
"Perhaps, if we could gain access to the fortress, Edrahil may see even farther and more clearly, and we would have a vantage point from which we could monitor their movements in relative safety."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Nain was looking forward to seeing the town, he'd never heard of it but any town where people came to meet and sell their wares had to be a good place.  He rode a little taller in his saddle looking to see more of this Wain town.

GandalfOfBorg

"We might even be able to see where the loyalties of the leader of this town are held.  If the Easterlings are threatening this area, the lord may be more apt to listen and help us as well.  If he's being kept by Harizan, we may have or work cut out for us then," said Durgil.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Jul 06, 2007, 11:25 AM #4 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2007, 12:01 PM by tomcat
"Very true Durgil," agreed Edrahil. "Yes Dirnhael, the fortress would provide an excellent observation point. Let us see what Ilanin holds, shall we?"

The Company advanced towards the town following the road before them. They rode into a small group of buildings that sat outside the city reaches, just west of the main square and could see there was a well-kept looking tavern, called the Carver House, and other small businesses including a livery/smithy, a cooper, and a general store. To their north they could see great gatherings of wagons - obviously merchant trains that had congregated for mutual protection and trade. To the east, the city proper sat along the river and Nain could see long barges being poled up and down the Carnen with stacks of merchandise coming and going.

While they looked around, a guard approached the Company. He carried a spear and shield  and was dressed in a tabard that showed his station within the host of Ilanin. He came up to Edrahil who rode at the fore of the Company and calmly took the Sindar's horse by bit and bridle, bringing it to a halt. The man had a business look about himself but did not exude intimidation or threat.

"Welcome to Ilanin," the guard stated. "Name your business and pay the fee."

It was Edrahil that took it upon himself to answer for his friends, "We are a group of riders come from down south seeking rest and to load up on provisions before we continue to the homeland of our comrade here, Nain of the mountain-folk. What is the fee that is necessary to enter the city?"

The guard looked each of the Company members over as he answered Edrahil, "Each man and horse are to be taxed 10 copper pennies upon entry, per my lord, the Honorable Mayor Korman Palagard. Know ye too the laws of this city so you may keep yourself from trouble."

As he answered Edrahil, he pointed towards a large wooden sign that had painted upon it the rules of the city, "I see that each of you are armed... you may keep your weapons but know that it is against our laws to draw them within the city limits and to do so will incur a penalty of time spent in the stockade and maybe a fine."

With that, the city guard stood and waited for the toll that was needed for entry into the city.

OOC: If you guys want to read the full list of the city laws, let me know and I will write them out tonight - otherwise, the most important one was stated by the guard above.

A quick players' synopsis of Ilanin that cannot be used in character:

Ilanin is kind of like a Middle-earth Jerusalem. It certainly is not holy, but it is a meeting place of cultures for trade and so there is a tolerance amongst the people to put aside differences. This is not to say that there are a bunch of Eothraim living here, or Easterlings... it is predominantly populated by Dorwinrim and the city has hired its own garrison to protect itself. The host that defends the city only take care of the immediate vicinity and play nothing into the politics outside the city limits. There are always external powers that may rule the surrounding territory, but Ilanin itself has always controlled its own interests - this could change should the politics of the town be swayed in one direction or the other.

Because of blood relations between the Dowinrim and the men of Rhun, the valley of Dorwinion, along with Ilanin, are left alone by the Easterling Raiders, although they may demand supplies from their blood kin. The Dorwinrim do not necessarily support their Easterling cousins, but prefer peace over war... again this could be changed via negotiations.

Eventually, Ilanin fades from the Middle-earht map as the Eothraim migrate west and sides become more defined between East and West with the resurging power of Sauron.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

"Surely laws and guards are amongst the best schemes ever devised to make a copper," Galudir said as he reached into his money pouch, "I tell you we are in the wrong profession."

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Should we worry about the cost of the entrance?  I haven't any coin listed on my character sheet, but Durgil does have the Hoard edge.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jul 06, 2007, 05:44 PM #7 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2007, 05:59 PM by tomcat
OOC: Hey Matt - here is an excerpt from back when you guys were in Khazad-dum...

QuoteThe Dwarf handed Dirnhael a small bag that contained eighteen gold pieces and then turned, climbing the stairs back into the city.

Dirnhael spent the next day nearer to Edrahil and Fengel, finding some solace in the company of his longtime comrades. He gave the sack of coins to Durgil after removing his own share - he never wished to see it again. He sidled his horse up to Thermon and handed the rogue Dirnhael's portion; he cared not for it.

You all would have gotten 3 GP from the bag, but Galudir would have 6 as Dirnhael gave him his share. I am also going to adjust your characters as such (this includes the coins from Bain):

Dirnhael - 3 sp, 14 cp
Durgil - 3 GP, 7 sp, 36 cp
Edrahil - 3 GP
Fengel - 3 GP, 1 sp, 21 cp
Galudir - 6 GP, 1 SP
Nain - (already has his money listed) but can add 3 GP

The money listed is before the toll has been paid, so I have deducted for you. I took the money out of Fengel's purse as he feels that this is his obligation... his money was reduced to 3GP, 1 cp. (Paul, if Fengel doesn't feel obligated, gimme a shout  :] )

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Ah yes, thanks.... so long ago (not that that it's a bad thing  ;))

"Stay your hand, friends, I'll take care of this," says the young noble to the group.  Sidling up to the guard, he drops a silver penny in the man's hand. "Drinks are on me tonight," Durgil says to him as his companions continue on into the town.  "Can you tell me which is the best inn here?"

Persuade (Charm) - (6+2)+3+2=13
OOC: Durgil's playing it up a little as a cocksure like a dandy.  If the guard bites, he'll engage in a bit conversation with him to learn a bit about the town and playing curious about the encampment.
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jul 07, 2007, 03:50 AM
OOC: Ah yes, thanks.... so long ago (not that that it's a bad thing  ;))

"Stay your hand, friends, I'll take care of this," says the young noble to the group.  Sidling up to the guard, he drops a silver penny in the man's hand. "Drinks are on me tonight," Durgil says to him as his companions continue on into the town.  "Can you tell me which is the best inn here?"

Persuade (Charm) - (6+2)+3+2=13
OOC: Durgil's playing it up a little as a cocksure like a dandy.  If the guard bites, he'll engage in a bit conversation with him to learn a bit about the town and playing curious about the encampment.

OOC: Nice call.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

OOC: Hey guys!  Sorry I've been away a little bit.  I kept checking and nothing was happening then all the sudden I'm way behind.
Doug I guess by Matt's post he paid the fees.

Fengel was unusually silent as he and his friends rode to Ilanin.  His mind was on his sister, hoping that they could find her and that she was not harmed.  But as they entered Ilanin he had a new worry.  These were his friends, and now they had offered their lives to help find Gleowyn.  He began to worry that this mission may just cost them their lives.  Especially Dirnhael.  He had greater things to do in his life then to die a stranger in a strange land.
Fengel jumped slightly as the guard stopped them.  As he watched Durgil work his eloquence upon the guard he thought to himself, "It is good to have friends such as these."  A smile crossed his face again, pushing back the furrow in his brow.

tomcat

Jul 12, 2007, 10:30 AM #11 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2007, 12:02 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Palandil on Jul 09, 2007, 03:14 PMOOC: Hey guys!  Sorry I've been away a little bit.  I kept checking and nothing was happening then all the sudden I'm way behind. Doug I guess by Matt's post he paid the fees.

[OOC:] Hey Paul, I am sorry about the inconsistancy, but hopefully we will get everything back to normal now that my move is over. I have already adjusted the character sheets appropriately based on Matt's post.

The guard nodded at Durgil as he accepted the town's tax and then proceeded to answer the young dandy. He was impressed by the youth, for he heard an intelligence and education in his words, though he seemed a carefree traveler, and that education meant that he was probably from somewhere south in Gondor. The guard could see the features in Durgil's face that were like other men that had come from the great cities in that realm and the man of Ilanin wished he could travel to such places.

Putting the toll in an official looking purse, the guard pointed, "Well just here you will find the Carver House... it's a good place for a bit of pork or beef, but it is not as nice as the two others in Ilanin. There is the Ebb -n- Flo Inn just by the river and there you can find a room and a meal of good quality although the coin is high - or, you can get a plate at the River Cross tavern. The River Cross sits on this side of the river just across from the Kua-enamun."

The information given, the guard turned his attention back to his duty and stepped aside from the Company. He moved back towards his place leaving the companions with their choice.

In his saddle, Edrahil scanned the river and the terrain on its opposite side and saw the lone hill that the guard must have spoken of. He had recognized the Elven origins of his crudely spoken language - the Kua en' Amon, Hill of the Dove. The encampment of Harizän the Easterling sat just north of the low hill.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil smiled and bade the man good day.  Giving a nudge with his heels, Rochithuin caught up to his companions and he relayed the information, "... but I think we'll have to find another source of information about Harizaon from somewhere else, methinks The River Cross is a start."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jul 12, 2007, 12:04 PM #13 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 05:16 AM by tomcat
[OOC:] Hey Matt, you can engage the guard in more conversation if you'd like, because your Charm worked on him... I just need you to initiate said conversation.

If not, let me know what you guys wanna do.
  ;D

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: Oh ok.  By the way you made the guard act, I thought he was done with me... I shall press on.

"Good news to hear indeed.  Beds and a warm meal are quiet welcome after the trip we've had.  We noticed across the river yonder, there seemed to be a camp of East-men and heavily armed.  Should we worry?"
Gwaithlim Weapons