• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 10:42 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Out for blood

Started by tomcat, May 07, 2007, 08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The Company and their Éothraim warriors rode out of the village of Burh Donun with a gathering of concerned faces watching as they did. The villagers wondered what fate was now in store due to the battle that had raged earlier that day and the death of their headsman. All the reassurance that had been extended by Fengel did little to make them feel more confident, but still they wished luck to the warriors so that the conflict with Harizän might come to a quick conclusion.

The host moved across the plain at a great pace, taking advantage of the light that remained for once it was dark they would need to slow for fear of a horse throwing a leg. Outriders led some four hundred yards ahead of the main group and kept a look out for any potential threat or an ideal location for their ambush. Fengel already had a location in mind at the ThreeTears... an area of the Donun valley where the land elevated into a trio of hills large enough to disguise a host behind and giving an advantage of position. Unfortunately, the hills were closer to Koskas' encampment than the village of Burh Donun and so the Company raced through the early evening.

As they rode, Edrahil spoke up over the sound of his horse trodding and huffing along, "There are wolves ghosting before us... far off enough to keep us from approaching them, but close enough to keep our scent. They know we are coming, but the beasts will need to relay their message to Koskas. So we may still yet have time!"

The words of the mage resolved Fengel to ride faster, darkness be damned! They would need to get into position of their ambush. Let the wolves carry on all the way to Koskas... the Éothraim would be ready no matter what he sent!

Almost four hours passed as they moved under the starlit night until they at last came to the Three Tears. The shadowed landscape rose darker before them and the Company began to climb the southern side of the hill. As soon as their sentries anounced any approach of Koskas, the Company would break into two groups so that they could hit hte Easterlings from the east and west.

Atop the hill, Edrahil announced, "The wolves continue north. I do not know if they have realized that we have stopped or if they just race to inform their master. We shall see..."

OOC: Actions - and/or Dialogue
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Fengel knew that they would not have to wait long.  He thanked Edrahil for his keen eyes, then sat down to rest a moment as what may happen played out in his mind.  His thoughts drifted to how his homecoming should have been like.  How he would have shown his friends how the Eothraim honored their faithful warriors.  And again to his sister, how he would have held her and admired her strength and beauty once again.   But no, that is not how it happened.  And soon one of the men who took that from him would be before him.  His brow furrowed with anger, as he got back up.  "Prisoners are not expected this time."  He said to the company as he went to check his steed.

tomcat

Quote from: Palandil on May 07, 2007, 08:42 AM"Prisoners are not expected this time."  He said to the company as he went to check his steed.

OOC:  >:D I am digging it!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

May 07, 2007, 02:20 PM #3 Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 02:22 PM by sdrotar
Dirnhael nodded grimly. Though his life had taken turns unexpected, he was rarely more comfortable than he was with a blade in his hand; fully in control of his own fate.
The Dunadan would pull no punches this night; as he knew his ability to dispatch his enemies quickly would be critical to their success.
He looked over at Edrahil, and then went to Fengel during a quiet moment.

"I will stay at Edrahil's side," he said. "I will not allow him to come to harm at the hands of these brigands. Assign the rest of the men as you will."

Dirnhael may have ceded direction of the Company to Fengel while in the land of the Eothraim, but on this, Dirnhael would not bend - he trusted his injured friend's health to no other, and even though Fengel had become single-minded with revenge, Dirnhael expected his voice to still carry weight with the man.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Fengel agreed with Dirnhael, "Yes, he is a valuable ally and close friend.  In fact, I would that you lead our mutual friends.  I will take six of my kindred warriors with me and attack from the east.  The other two shall be with you."

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on May 07, 2007, 03:51 PM
Fengel agreed with Dirnhael, "Yes, he is a valuable ally and close friend.  In fact, I would that you lead our mutual friends.  I will take six of my kindred warriors with me and attack from the east.  The other two shall be with you."

"So be it. Good luck," he said, clenching Fengel's wrist in a warrior's grasp.

tomcat

Dirnhael and Galudir watched as Fengel and his kinsmen disappeared into the darkness and both hoped that the Éothraim warrior's plan would come to fruition. There was no trail or road that wound between the Three Tears, only broken rock and scrub littered the ground below. The likelihood that Koskas would lead his men through this valley was small - no commander with half a wit would lead his men into disadvantageous territory - but still, the hills sat between the most direst route to Burh Donun. Maybe the Easterling mage would prove to be a impotent tactician.

Edrahil stood some yards away looking out into the night and trying to discern some kind of sign - the Eldar's eyes accustomed to seeing by just starlight. After thirty quiet minutes, he murmured, "A shadow has come back in our direction... t'is a wolf - or a Warg."

The Elf felt for the wind and was pleased to feel it blow into his face, "They will not discern our presence here by scent... that is good news."

Across the small valley, Fengel lay prone also gazing out into the night. He could only see the movement, but he knew that it would be soon.

Koskas had moved out his war-party when the sun was sitting on the western horizon. He had been informed early in the day of the loss of his hunting party to some Éothraim warriors that had ambushed them at Burh Donun. The mages pets allowed for excellent scouts and communicators of messages.

There were now sixteen soldiers mounted on horse and chariot plodding south across the plain. They would find these upstart heroes that had dared to attack his troops. On the outskirts of the train loped five of the hounds of Sauron - each of them sniffing for any signs of their enemy - but nothing had revealed itself yet.

Now the animals stared off at the three hills that rose to their south and wondered if any threat lay within. The lead warg swung its huge head back and forth trying to catch any scent or sound in the darkness but there was none. It turned its great form back north and loped off towards the Sagath troop rolling in its direction. As it approached, the horses of the Easterling became skittish and the riders had to rein them in to keep the animals from bolting.

The warg slinked up to one of the Sagath, and as it did its body began to transform taking on a hybrid man-wolf form. The beast went up onto its hind legs, standing as tall as the horse before it, and in a raw, hoarse voice, it addressed the warrior, "Three hills rise before us and the river lays to the east... it could be a perfect site for an ambush. I cannot pick up any scent of our enemy, but I do not wish to assume the path is clear."

The Sagath warrior had to hold tight on his reins as his horse bucked and skittered about, "Perhaps we should just pass the hills to the west? Burh Donun is only a few more hours south."

The hybrid wolf smiled, "Send your charioteers west around the hills... the rest of your troop shall pass through. If it is an ambush, I want to keep the Éothraim pinned within the Three Tears and hopefully make them their barrows."

The Sagath nodded as he pulled his mount away to communicate the order. He thought it a dangerous command - splitting his troop and subjecting one group to a potential attack, an attack where his chariots would be totally useless in the elevated terrain. Hopefully the Éothraim were not there and he and his men would meet the wains on the south side of the hills.

Not far away, Koskas stood looking out over the hills that he and his horsemen were about to enter - his tongue licked over the great canines that protruded from his grinning half-man half-wolf maw.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

I need all characters to give me a TN 12 Stamina test to resist weariness.

Edrahil Stamina test TN 12
Stamina +1, Resolute +1, Tireless +4
Roll(2d6)+6: 3,6,+6 Total:15 SUCCESS

Palandil

Stamina TN:12
Sta+3; tireless+4
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,5,+7 Total:14

Stefan

Stamina TN:12
Sta+4; Hardiness o'body +2
Roll(2d6)+6: 3,4,+6 Total:13

Nikitas

May 08, 2007, 10:11 AM #9 Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:12 AM by Nikitas
Stamina TN 12:
2d6=2,5
Stamina (+2), Tireless (+4), Courage (+3)
4+2+4+3= 13 Complete Success

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galudir could feel the burden of constant battle and travel weighing down on him. His bones were stiff and his limbs protested the slightest movement. Yet he drew up his courage and conquered his exhaustion, at least for the moment.

tomcat

May 08, 2007, 11:35 AM #10 Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:39 AM by tomcat
OOC: Give me your Stamina rolls as you can, but let's continue.  ;)

The Sagath wains began to move off to the west to skirt the hills while the remaining cavalry began to move in a southerly direction towards the Three Tears, before the group loped four wargs. They weaved through the brambles and large, bare stone boulders picking a path in the darkness - a difficult task at best.

Each of the animals and the men that followed on behind were tense as springs and they listened to the night air for any sign that danger was upon them. Little did they know that death did lurk within Three Tears, it was just awaiting the order to strike.

Upon the top of the northwestern hill, Edrahil and Dirnhael watched as the troop of Sagath divided - five chariots with drivers going west around the hills while the horsemen and their fell hounds approached directly towards their position.

"Why do they separate?" Edrahil wondered allowed. "Certainly the wains would not travel well through this valley, but why separate at all?"

Along with Dirnhael, Durgil, Nain and Galudir lay close by and each strained at the darkness to see something more than a deeper shadow moving below. The skies were clear above but it would not be an easy time discerning friend from foe in battle. Edrahil realized the same and asked, "Dirnhael, do I light the night for our folk to combat or do we hope to chance?

Not far away Fengel watched on as the horsemen rode into his snare. He grinned knowing that soon he would remove more of the reavers from his land.

Palandil

Fengel had instructed the men to rain two volleys of arrows upon the enemy at his command.  He told Dirnhael to do the same and then they would rush in drawing swords.  Watching intently for the right time he set an arrow to his bow and prepared to fire.

OOC: I am thinking that the ambush places us on higher ground with the ability to rush down for melee.  I didn't think about the darkness... :(  Hopefully Dirnhael will adjust for this...

sdrotar

May 08, 2007, 12:31 PM #12 Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:37 PM by sdrotar
Stamina test (TN 12)
Stamina +3, Tireless +4 = +7
Roll(2d6)+7: 5,2,+7 Total:14

Dirnhael turned to Edrahil - they had planned to rain a volley down on the Sagath before engaging them at close range; none of their allies would be in the valley until after the arrows had been loosed.
"Let us double our surprise," he said. We have a clear shot now; let our arrows fall first and while they panic, you may bewilder them with your light."

Dirnhael flopped his shield upon his back, readied his bow and waited for Fengel's signal.

tomcat

May 08, 2007, 04:43 PM #13 Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:15 PM by tomcat
The Company members watched as the four large wargs entered the valley and scurried about, sniffing as they did. It would not be long before the scent would be picked up so things would happen rapidly. Dirnhael and Fengel both breathed a quiet sigh of relief as the mounted Sagath began to come down the ravine - the clop of the horse hooves echoed on the walls of the hills. Still, only shadows could be discerned, some larger than others.

The first warg finally caught the scent of the horses that the Company and Éothraim had ridden into the vale and it came to a halt, a deep resonating growl emanating from its chest. Its kin noticed its stance and they too came to a stop, their great heads looking left and right. The group of wargs all began to growl and scurry up the feet of the surrounding hills and the agitation caused the riders to a rein in their steeds.

Fengel grinned wider seeing that all of the horsemen had made it into the ravine. It was time...

As if in response to the Éothraim's thoughts, Edrahil unleashed his arcane talents and the long sword that he held above his head illuminated in an eerie orange-red light that lit the northwest hilltop but did not cause any of the men temporary blindness. The Elf hurled the sword into the air and it tumbled end over end down into the ravine and lit up the enemy below.

Arrows hissed down into the Sagath crunching into armor and flesh.

OOC:

Edrahil casts Create Light TN5

Willpower +3, The Art +2, Resolute +1, Strong-willed +2
Roll(2d6)+8: 4,5,+8 Total:17

Everyone may go to the next thread where you all may give me two rounds worth of free ranged attack actions that can only be dodged by the enemy. At the end of your two free rounds, post initiative and we will commence standard rounds from there.

GandalfOfBorg

TN 12 Stamina v Weariness - (5+4)+3=13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16