• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 09:58 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Inside Information

Started by tomcat, Apr 26, 2007, 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

May 02, 2007, 09:32 AM #15 Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:32 AM by tomcat
OOC: First of all, I want to apologize about the delays you guys have been experiencing in my posts, and I know I have given multiple apologies thus far. This is not a slow down in our game, or anything of that nature. My wife and I have had to deal with a couple heavy-duty financial hits the past couple weeks and to be honest, the stress has caused my brain to be very function-less. I think these things are behind us, except that we may need to move here in the near future so that may be something to contend with, but for now - I think my head is clear.

As we all know... sometimes life can pitch us some serious curveballs.

Second of all, great posts you guys. I am going to treat the two as Dirnhael intimidating the two soldier captives and Fengel working the leader who had been isolated. If this is not your intentions, let me know and I can adjust. Just let me know...

There are so many modifiers on the Fear table that suit this situation that I am giving both Dirnhael and Fengel a +12 modifier to their intimidate tests.

Sagath attempt to oppose Intimidation TN 28, 23
Willpower +1
Leader TN 23 - Roll(2d6)+1: 1,6,+1 Total:8 UNMANNED
Soldier TN 28 - Roll(2d6)+1: 3,3,+1 Total:7 UNMANNED
Soldier TN 28 - Roll(2d6)+1: 4,1,+1 Total:6 UNMANNED

In both huts, Fengel and Dirnhael were getting identical results as the captive Sagath warriors were broken by fear and intimidation.

Fengel could see in the youth before him, for the man appeared to be in his early twenties, that he was no true leader. These men had been sent to the enthralled town of Burh Donun to collect tribute and to reinforce the terror that Koskas had laid over the land. They never expected to be opposed and even though the wargs had accompanied, were not prepared for a fight. The Sagath raiders had become lax in their guard and had become comfortable within the captured lands.

"Today they have been shown the error in their ways," Fengel thought.

Between all three captives, the information that was procured was that Harizän the Easterling was a brutal berserker that had come from the far eastern shores of the Sea of Rhûn and through fist and blood had unified a large group of Sagath. Promising to bring pain upon their enemy, the Éothraim, and to take back their stolen lands, Harizän had led them west over the Donun and Carnen Rivers. The spoils of these raids - foods, livestock, treasures, and women -  were to benefit all his men and each would share in the wealth.

Thus far this was the case. After Fengel's folk had been driven out, at least those that had strength to oppose him, Harizän moved back across the river and left Koskas in his stead to oversee the handling of the lands they had won.

Koskas was an awful man. Some amongst the Sagath said he had kinship with the warg for he spoke their tongue and it was whispered that he took their shape. He was cruel and had no pity in his heart for friend or foe. He was Harizän's most trusted second-in-command. The captive leader also explained that Koskas manipulated dark powers too and it was through these magics that he aided in Harizän's victory over the Éothraim.

Finally, the Sagath leader revealed to Fengel the information that he most sought, "I was not present when this man was slain. I heard that Harizän had come upon the homestead during the early part of our invasion and took the woman captive... for his personal trove. The husband of this woman opposed Harizän and as is his wont, Harizän met him in single combat - our commander prides himself in strength of arm and their is nothing he will not offer up when he is directly challenged. He has never lost. He slayed this man and once done he dragged him before us and your people to show all that there is none mightier than he."

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on May 02, 2007, 09:32 AM
OOC: First of all, I want to apologize about the delays you guys have been experiencing in my posts, and I know I have given multiple apologies thus far. This is not a slow down in our game, or anything of that nature. My wife and I have had to deal with a couple heavy-duty financial hits the past couple weeks and to be honest, the stress has caused my brain to be very function-less. I think these things are behind us, except that we may need to move here in the near future so that may be something to contend with, but for now - I think my head is clear.

As we all know... sometimes life can pitch us some serious curveballs.

Don't give it a second thought - we all know that real life comes first. :)

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

OOC: Hey Doug, I'm glad your back.  I hope everything works out for you and your wife.

IC:
Fengel was very pleased that this man was willing to answer.  He had fought hard to keep restraint on his thoughts on how to interrogate him.  Fengel stood before the leader, "For your part in this invasion and the murder of Bragos, you will be tried.  I can not say that your life will not be required.  But what you have told me might aid you."  Fengel stepped away from him, "I have two more questions.  If you do not return what will be the next action Koskas will take?"

After the man answers Fengel's first question, he bends over and looks into his eyes.  "Now, where will I find this Harizan?"

tomcat

May 03, 2007, 09:29 AM #18 Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:34 AM by tomcat
The leader met Fengel's gaze and answered, "Koskas will know we have not returned soon. Our collection parties disperse amongst the remaining homesteads and then we meet up at the end of the day and return to our settlement. Koskas will send more soldiers to Burh Donun or come himself."

Fengel wasn't sure if there was a smile on the man's face or not with his last statement. He would never know as the Sagath continued, "Harizän has his yurt on the east side of the Carnen River... across from the city of Ilanin."

Outside, Edrahil and Nain stood close looking off to the north in the direction that their enemy had come. Durgil had sent Fengel's kin to scout to make sure that no new attacks were imminent; for now the companions stood and waited until the interrogations were completed. Edrahil had taken a grievous wound and the Dwarf could hear his breathing was a bit laboured as they stood and gazed off into the distance. Nain knew the Elf's eyes were seeing far more than his own, but he continued to watch.

Edrahil made idle chat, "We have traveled so long together Nain, yet I am amazed that I had not met you prior, for surely you and your brother had been to Lindon in the past. Yes?"

Nain remembered the trips he and his brother had made... the Dwarf then remembered where Kulin had met his end. The beast that lived under the earth... that would be another task he would need to complete soon.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Fengel left the building that held the Sagath leader and met with Dirnhael.  He looked and saw Edrahil, Durgil, and Nain looking north.  "Edrahil has taken a serious wound, he needs to rest here.  I will ride back to Thergas and see what men will ride with us to meet Koskas.  This Sagath tells me that he will probably come to Burh Donun himself to find out what happened to his men.  I feel we will have a bitter battle ahead of us.  Hopefully our riders were able to make it to Thuidmar."

tomcat

May 03, 2007, 11:45 AM #20 Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:52 AM by tomcat
The keen ears of Edrahil heard Fengel's words and he turned to look at the Éothraim, "My wound though painful and a nuisance does not immobilize me in this place my friend. In fact, I believe it wiser that we separate ourselves from Burh Donun completely for if war should come here again, these people will suffer more. I think it best that we take up a position between Koskas' encampment and this village to waylay any that might come to investigate or for retribution."

The Sindar added, " If it is your desire to go and retrieve more aid than so be it, but I feel that any response from our enemy will be forthcoming long before your return. Even if the ranks of Thuidmar have arrived at Thergas, the bureaucracy of command is going to stifle any immediate forward movement of the riders. Burh Donun will be burnt and its people slain long before you get back."

The outlook the mage gave was grim, but his foresight was proven on many other occassions since the Company had formed. "Perhaps send one rider as a messenger, if you must, but I believe we must rely on ourselves in the immediate future."

As if in response, a lone howl was heard out across the plains surrounding Burh Donun. The afternoon sun was failing. It would be a dark night.

Palandil

"So be it my friend.  You are wise in these matters.  I will dispatch one rider to make haste to Thergas.  Hopefully he will bring the aid we shall need.  In the mean time we will ride toward Koskas and try to find a good place for a surprise attack.  Let us move out before the night is fully upon us."  Fengel spoke with the next leader after Bragos's demise to keep the Sagath until someone was sent to retrieve them.  His only instruction was to guard them closely.  He then prepared his steed Heostor for war.

sdrotar

Dirnhael felt... dirty after questioning the captives.
Threatening men on the field of battle? That was one thing, but this was another entirely.
Nevertheless, it had to be done, and Dirnhael did get valuable information from the captured Sagath, after all.

He listened to Edrahil's words and Fengel's as well, but he grew concerned.
"We do not seem to have nearly enough men to challenge Harizan directly," he said.
Any attempt to do so now would be ill-fated, he feared, looking at Edrahil.

"Perhaps it would be best if we removed the prisoners, make it seem as if the Sagath never got here; make it appear that they were waylaid along their path. If successful, the town will suffer no worse than before we came, and we could gain valuable knowledge of our foe."
Dirnhael feared no combat, but he did fear for these people if the Company rashly gave away their lives in an obviously futile effort.

Whatever is was that they chose to do, it needed to be subtle if they were to survive.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil nodded in agreement with Dirnhael's plan.  "Even if it didn't make them reconsider their action, it would get them to stop for a moment where we could create an ambush."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: Understand that I am not playing Edrahil as if he knows anymore than you guys do, and that I use his arguments to sway you in a direction. I am playing him enough to stimulate conversation and that is all... though his foresight allows him to know a little.  >:D

Edrahil heard Dirnhael's and Fengel's arguments and he saw more logic in the Éothraim's. "I understand why you say as you do Dirnhael, but I am not sure if it sways me as it does Durgil. Hear me my friend, thus far these invaders have shown little compassion towards the life of any of Fengel's people. If Koskas is allowed to approach this town I believe that he would use any and all means to extract the information he wanted regarding his missing troop. You know as well as I that these people would not suffer much more before they gave up said information and then the Easterling would probably put them all to the sword, based on how he has been described."

He continued, "Although we may not have the numbers to hold off a greater force of the Sagath, we do have the initiative and this allows us to make the encounter with Koskas on our terms - and I believe here the singular talents of our companions come into play. Galudir and Durgil are both practiced in the arts of stealthy attacks and disordering a large group. An ambush far afield from Burh Donun would asure that these people live to see tomorrow, and it would allow us to draw Koskas in a direction of our choosing... perhaps Thergas?"

Edrahil did not let his question hang for long, "I am no warrior and so tactics I leave in your hands... I just see the suffering of these people if we allow the wolf into their fold."

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: I guess I misread Dirnhael's statement, I thought he meant for us to make it look like the warriors were waylaid at some point between the village and the Sagath camp.  This would be the place where I had meant for Durgil to create an ambush.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Dirnhael knew that Edrahil had a point, but he was still surprised that the nigh-immortal Elf would seem so... hasty.
To Dirnhael, this seemed a war unwinnable in a single day; even the greatest of strikes would not chase the Easterlings from this land by itself.
Patience seemed wiser to Dirnhael, and he was not even a conservative man - but he would still ride with his comrades and share whatever fate came to them.

He thought of Angbor, long since passed - a dear friend whose anger came to outweigh his judgment, and he died for it; almost taking the Company with him into the beyond.
Dirnhael had passed Angbor's sword, Cerduil, to Fengel on that dark day - and the stout Eothraim had wielded it with honour ever since.

But today, Dirnhael began to wonder if the blade brought with it a terrible curse.

Palandil

May 04, 2007, 03:09 AM #27 Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:12 AM by Palandil
"I believe based on our scouting mission of Koskas's camp,  they are now down to 25 men and 6 wargs.  It is not likely that they shall all come.  So our 14 might not be as out numbered as you think my friend."  Fengel hoped even more now that the rider he sent to Thergas could rally some men in time to aid if needed.

tomcat

OOC: I am going to treat this as an in character argument from Durgil.

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on May 03, 2007, 07:51 PM"I thought he meant for us to make it look like the warriors were waylaid at some point between the village and the Sagath camp.  This would be the place where I had meant for us to create an ambush."

Edrahil listened to Durgil's reply, "Ahhhh... forgive me. I misunderstood. I thought that Dirnhael just wished to make our presence here in Burh Donun disappear. If that were the case then surely these people would not take long to reveal what happened."

The mage stood and thought a moment, nodding his head. The idea had strong merit after all - save the fact that the situation in Burh Donun was probably already known to their enemy. The Elf was sure that the cry of the wolf mere moments ago was not just happenstance. He looked to Fengel, "Exactly Fengel... this is my thoughts too." Then to Dirnhael, "I do not intend us to face the whole might of Harizän without aid of the Thuidmar's riders, but surely we can harry the small bands of Koskas."

Stefan

Nain had been lost in thought after the elf had asked his question and the conversation had been struck up before he'd had a chance to answer.  He'd pondered it for a short while but now there were other things to consider.  Like the Sagath.

"If this is the only band that doesnt return they'll be here fore morning, we should find at least one more and attack them to take away the target."