• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:29 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Round 3 - Ambush

Started by tomcat, Apr 18, 2007, 07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Apr 18, 2007, 07:45 PM Last Edit: Apr 20, 2007, 05:42 AM by tomcat
Situation: The Easterlings and the Company are engaged - the Sagath currently attack from the saddle against the unmounted companions.

Situational Modifiers: Sagath while in the saddle gain a +2 test modifier for advantageous position to attack only.

Easterling / Warg Stats: Mook health levels for these baddies... 5 hits for Easterlings TN 10 defence

Physical Modifiers: Fengel is Dazed (Hardy edge - no penalty), Edrahil is -1 Dazed

Initiative:

Fengel 12
Durgil 12
Galudir 9
Easterlings 9
Dirnhael 7
Edrahil 7
Éothraim 6
Nain 5

**Please remember to give me your next round's initiative at the end of your posts

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Apr 19, 2007, 04:48 AM #1 Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 05:14 AM by Palandil
Again Fengel presses the attack.  Being unsuccessful thus far he uses one hand to wield Cerduil giving him more agility to evade or parry.

Action 1: Attack Sagath on right
AC+8; L.Sword+2; Nim+1; Warwise+3; Cerduil+1;
Roll(2d6)+14: 1,2,+15 Total:18

Action 2: Attack Sagath on left
Roll(2d6)+14: 6,1,+15 Total:22

Action 3: Attack Sagath on right
Roll(2d6)+14: 1,3,+15 Total:19

Action 4: reserved

GandalfOfBorg

Apr 19, 2007, 06:49 AM #2 Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007, 05:33 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Already weary of combat, Durgil calls out, "Sagath warriors!  Your fight against us is futile!  Lay down your weapons and there will be no more bloodshed!"

OOC: If any warriors continue to fight, he will fire upon the closest one with the intent to disarm and make one final plea for sanity.

Free) Reload
1) Debate (Oratory) - (4+4)+6+2=18
2) RC - (3+1)+14+2-5+3 Courage=18 (2 hits)

OOC: Edited in bold
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Apr 19, 2007, 05:49 PM #3 Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 06:32 PM by tomcat
Sagath defend against Fengel, one on right TN 18, 19; one on left TN 22
AC +7, Specialty +2, PB +1, SB +3, Wounded -1 = +12
on right

Action 1: Roll(2d6)+12: 3,1,+12 Total:16 FAILED (1 HIT)
Action 2: Roll(2d6)+10: 3,4,+10 Total:17 FAILED (1 HIT)
on left
Action 1: Roll(2d6)+12: 6,6,4,+12 Total:28 SUCCESS

The Sagath leader heard the words that Durgil cried and took a moment to apprise the situation - the Éothraim, along with their allies, were overcoming his men and had slain his wargs. Perhaps he could use the pause to draw his troop away... and then come back to burn this settlement!

The Easterling horsemen pointed his sword at Edrahil as he drew his horse back, "KAI-YALTAY! WE GO!"

Around the Company, the Easterlings all drew back from those that they fought, their horses' hooves clopping as they defensively disengaged.

His sword still aimed at the Sindar, the Sagath leader cried his oath, "We shall return and Harizän shall burn this wretched hovel!"

OOC: The Easterlings are taking the pause that Durgil has created to withdraw, but not surrender. If you guys do not wish to let them leave, you are all close enough still to re-engage, otherwise they will break away at a run once the distance between you and them is great enough.

If you guys do re-engage, I will allow the Sagath to use their remaining actions at the end of the round.

Let me know.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: Fengel's plan had 10 Eothraim, 4 archers and 6 other warriors.  There were riders at the ready to pursue any Sagath that would try to escape.  Is that the other 6 men?  If so they should move to block any escape.  Here is my post if that is the case.

Upon hearing the leader's threat, Fengel turned to the longhouse and waved for the six riders to ride forth.  He then taunted the Sagath leader, "You bravely cut down women, children and old men, but falter at the sight of the mighty Eothraim!  You make your leader proud!!" hoping to intimidate him to fight on.

Intimidate (power)+1; bearing+2; specialty +2
Roll(2d6)+5: 6,6,+5 Total:17  Roll(1d6)+17: 6,+17 Total:23  Roll(1d6)+23: 2,+23 Total:25  Awesome!

Here are my attack rolls to engage if Fengel is still in range.
Action 1: Move to engage
Action 2: Attack closest warrior
AC+8; L.Sword+2; Nim+1; Warwise+3; Cerduil+1
Roll(2d6)+15: 6,6,+15 Total:27  NO WAY!!  Roll(1d6)+27: 6,+27 Total:33  NO WAY!!!!  Roll(1d6)+33: 5,+33 Total:38  What was that?!

If Fengel can reach the other warrior he was fighting then this will be for him.
Action 3: Attack
AC+8; L.Sword+2; Nim+1; Warwise+3; Cerduil+1
Roll(2d6)+15: 6,6,+15 Total:27  Okay, I'm not cheating here.  I have never rolled like this before!  Roll(1d6)+27: 6,+27 Total:33 
Roll(1d6)+33: 3,+33 Total:36  That is exactly how it rolled out.  I am a little dum founded.

tomcat

Apr 19, 2007, 06:34 PM #5 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2007, 09:33 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Palandil on Apr 19, 2007, 06:29 PMOOC: Fengel's plan had 10 Eothraim, 4 archers and 6 other warriors.  There were riders at the ready to pursue any Sagath that would try to escape.  Is that the other 6 men?  If so they should move to block any escape.  Here is my post if that is the case.

OOC: Yea Paul, I had your other 6 warriors at the ready to charge in. I limited the initial skirmish to just the Company and a few others just because of how hard posting a round can be when there is a lot of combatants! 

NICE INTIMIDATE AND INCREDIBLE ATTACK ROLLS! You were due there!
;)

Nikitas

OOC: My initiative is 9 from the last round. I will update tomorrow.

sdrotar

Dirnhael was instantly concerned; if the Sagath were allowed to withdraw, their plan would be for naught - the Easterlings would return in force and crush the remaining Eothraim. He saw that Fengel knew this, and added his own challenge to the two men he faced moments ago as he chased after them.

"Are two of you not enough for one man? I shall let you have three this time, then - if you would have the stomach for it!"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Nikitas

OCC: I was under the impression that Two-Handed Attack was a single action.

Initiative:
2d6=6,2
Swiftness (+5)
8+5=13

Action 2:
Armed Combat (Blades: Long sword):
2d6=2,5
Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+6), Specialty (+2)
7+3+6+2= 18 Superior Success

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lost in the moment of battle and without care to his own safety, Galudir charged forward to strike at the first Sagath his blade could reach. "Come now Easterner, let us put an end to our blood business!"

tomcat

Apr 20, 2007, 04:05 PM #9 Last Edit: Apr 20, 2007, 04:18 PM by tomcat
OOC: The statement about the combat maneuvers Sweep, Two-handed, and Power keeps coming up, so I  am not sure if you all believe me or maybe think me nuts?  :?

So, here is an image cut from my PDF of the Core Rule Book, page 226 and from the Decipher Errata webpage (see link below).  ;)

Decipher official errata

Nikitas

OCC: Sorry, I wrote up that comment but then decided to look at my copy of the errata. I forgot to delete the comment.

GandalfOfBorg

Apr 21, 2007, 05:37 AM #11 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007, 08:41 AM by GandalfOfBorg
This isn't the result Durgil intended, so rushes to Dirnahel's side.

OOC: In between the Debate and the RC action, Durgil makes a move action.

"We should not kill them all, we need to interrogate some of them."

OOC: Durgil changes his tactic, though, to strike for mortal damage to the furthest west S3.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Apr 23, 2007, 05:02 AM #12 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 04:16 AM by Stefan
OOC:  If Nain can reach any of them then he'll attack one, if not he'll just give chase.

IC: Nain chases after the fleeing Sagath swinging his axe and screaming curses about their cowardice and their parentage. 

Actions:
Move
Attack
Roll (2d6)+9: 1+5+9=15

Initiative Next Rd
Roll (2d6)+2=6+5+2=13

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 21, 2007, 05:37 AM
This isn't the result Durgil intended, so rushes to Dirnahel's side.

"We should not kill them all, we need to interrogate some of them."

"If possible, my friend - but not at the risk of letting any return to their master."

OOC: Dirnhael will attempt to close the gap and re-engage their foes, including taking whatever move/combat actions are necessary to accomplish that.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Apr 24, 2007, 12:00 PM #14 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 09:35 AM by tomcat
The riders that Fengel had kept in reserve burst forth from the longhouse and rode in a line through the village, sweeping around to gain a position behind the Sagath - all the while, the Company re-initiated the attack to keep the enemy pinned in place. Confusion showed itself on the faces of the Easterling warriors as what they thought would be an easy mission of collecting foodstuffs had turned into a dire battle with odds failing them. The river on the east side of the town would limit any routes for escape and so the Sagath pressed back on the attack to try and push through the village.

Fengel watched as the two mounted warriors charged back towards him and the Éothraim lifted his sword up high over his head, poising his body to strike. The riders made to pass on either side of Fengel and he swung Cerduil in a graceful arc, first to the left and then right. The momentum that carried the horsemen forward allowed the old Dúnadan blade to cause devastating effect to each of the Sagath. Both men fell from their saddles a few meters behind Fengel, each clutching his ruined midsection as their lives spilled out on the dusty ground of Burh Donun.

Durgil's arrow flew true striking the remaining Sagath archer in his leg; the arrow penetrating through and pinning the man to his saddle. The shot had the desired effect and deprived the archer of any new attacks. Instead the horseman grabbed for his leg, crying out as he did.

The remaining Company members, save Edrahil, re-engaged their opponents and assured that there would be no escape for the invaders - they would either need to surrender or perish.

Edrahil had taken a cruel stroke and knew that to attempt to meet the Sagath leader in melee again could be fatal. Instead the mage went back to the arts that he had trained for so long. The Sindar murmered under his breath and felt as the magic flowed through him. With the energy created he grasped the Easterling around his waist and tore him from the saddle, hurling him to the ground.

OOC: Let me start by saying that I granted the second attack rolls from Fengel even though we are within the same round. It is more like it reflects two rounds of actions, but for time-sake, we'll keep it all here.

Great rolls Paul, I didn't even bother rolling defenses for those guys.

Matt, the roll was great, but not enough to be a called shot to the weapon hand. Instead, the 2 HITS you caused was enough to take him to 4 HITS which in my opinion would distract anyone from making an offensive action.

Edrahil casts Wizard's Fist TN 12
Willpower +2, Dazed -1, +2 The Art, +2 Strong-willed, +1 Resolute = +6
Roll(2d6)+6: 6,2,+6 Total:14 SUCCESS
Strength roll - Roll(2d6)+9: 5,5,+9 Total:19

Opposed Strength test by Sagath Leader
Strength +2
Roll(2d6)+2: 4,6,+2 Total:12 FAILED

Galudir and Nain, I will roll the defenses for your attacks when I get back home tonight.

Dirnhael can make his attack rolls against the oncoming warriors (with 3 wounds each).