• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 07:19 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Thergas

Started by tomcat, Mar 05, 2007, 04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palandil

Fengel felt his heart sink, but though it did little for the pain he felt, he was glad for Durgil and Nain's words.  "Eorlas, sixty days ago?  It shouldn't have taken that long for riders to assemble and arrive here.  Perhaps the men you sent did not make it to Buhr Alge.  Have the Sagath made their way past Thergas?  Regardless, we must send more riders to Thuidmar, and then to the other tribes, for if Harizan defeats us so easily he will surely attack them."

tomcat

Mar 13, 2007, 11:54 AM #31 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2007, 03:46 PM by tomcat
Edrahil saw the room contained less than ten people and it looked as if they were all but abandoned, for no nursemaid or healer was present. Gareth confirmed the resignation, "There are none here who will tend to them anymore for fear of falling ill themselves. So we have made them as comfortable as we can and hope that their passing will be as painless as may be."

Gareth proceeded no further inside, instead walking away leaving Edrahil alone.

Back in the Eorlas' chamber, the Éothraim commander listened to Fengel's questions and realized that the young warrior did not comprehend the true nature of the situation. He sighed, "Yes, we believe that the wargs of Harizän range over the hills and across the plains west of Thergas. It can be the only explanation of no word coming from Thuidmar. But you must understand Fengel, we have made no attacks against the invaders because for the most part the lands that they hold have emptied of our kin. Yes, there are a few clans that still reside there, mostly elders, but we can do nothing about freeing them right now - the sickness has greatly reduced our numbers."

He shook his head, "Now do not think we sit idle but the lives lost in attacks merit little return. The good news is that Harizän  has also suffered from the sickness, or at least the threat of it, and most of his warriors still sit on the east side of the river. Only here..." Eorlas pointed to a spot on the map at the northeast end of the Dinvuld Hills, "Here there is the location of Harizän's chief lieutenant, Koskas the Fell he is called and we have heard that he commands a pack of wargs and thrity men. We have planned raids on his encampment, but again it comes down to cost, and our folk can bear little more loss."

Eorlas had a look of almost guilt knowing that his explanation held little solace for those caught behind enemy lines. He cleared his throat, "This I will say... if you are willing to lead your group in harrying attacks against Koskas, we will dispatch three more riders to Burh Alge - with the wargs occupied we may get our riders through. Thuidmar should then be able to rally our folk and send a sizable force for us to drive the invaders back over the river!"

The Éothraim commander nearly shouted his last words but in his face, the Company could see his eyes turn from theirs and the look of guilt hang there. The man was defeated already and sadly had never attempted even this simple plan he now presented, a plan that might have brought freedom for the Éothraim before the loss of so many these last two years.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

"Have your fastest riders make ready.  We will plan some way of distracting the enemy." Fengel looked at Dirnhael hoping that with his military mind they might come up with a good plan.  Hoping that he could increase his companies numbers he asked Eorlas one more question, "Can you spare any men to ride with us?"

sdrotar

Mar 13, 2007, 09:41 PM #33 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2007, 09:44 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: Palandil on Mar 13, 2007, 01:56 PM
"Have your fastest riders make ready.  We will plan some way of distracting the enemy." Fengel looked at Dirnhael hoping that with his military mind they might come up with a good plan.  Hoping that he could increase his companies numbers he asked Eorlas one more question, "Can you spare any men to ride with us?"

Dirnhael pondered the situation. Eorlas' plan was sound and simple enough - a brief diversionary tactic. But Dirnhael was thinking beyond that - if this Koskas and his men were isolated, then they could be cut off and taken apart piece by piece. That should be their next objective after getting the emissaries safely through to Thuidmar.

It was obvious that their knowledge of the situation needed to be improved - there were precious few fighting men here, and the less unnecessary risks they took, the better their chances of success - and survival.

"Let us not be too hasty, my friend," he said to Fengel.
He looked to Durgil; the youthful noble was a skilled rider and had keen eyes. He and Fengel could both move quickly, and the Eothraim knew the area.
"We need the lay of the land and more knowledge of our foes," he said to the Durgil. "Will you accompany Fengel and ride out to the Dinvuld Hills? Ride at speed, and do not engage the enemy - flee if you must; we cannot afford to lose either of you."

He knew that Edrahil would be busy bringing what health he could to the sick, and that Nain would be busy imparting his invaluable knowledge of fortifications.

Dirnhael knew that Easterlings were often mercenaries, working for whomever had the deepest pockets and asking few questions. Dirnhael obviously didn't relate to such people, and thinking like they did was a nigh-impossible task for him. Fortunately, he knew someone who did.

"Thermon," he asked coyly, "please come with me and Eorlas. I need your... unique talents."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

OOC: I appreciate that you neglected to add 'Nain could barely ride well enough to stay mounted on a good day' :)

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotar on Mar 13, 2007, 09:41 PMDirnhael knew that Easterlings were often mercenaries, working for whomever had the deepest pockets and asking few questions.

OOC: Although this is true in western territories far from their native lands, remember Shawn that in Rhovanion these are border wars between these people and a racial antipathy exists. So keep that in mind when you put together your plans.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Mar 14, 2007, 12:07 PM #36 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007, 05:34 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: tomcat on Mar 14, 2007, 06:29 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Mar 13, 2007, 09:41 PMDirnhael knew that Easterlings were often mercenaries, working for whomever had the deepest pockets and asking few questions.

OOC: Although this is true in western territories far from their native lands, remember Shawn that in Rhovanion these are border wars between these people and a racial antipathy exists. So keep that in mind when you put together your plans.

Doug

OOC: Will do. Thanks.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Nikitas

Galudir leaned forward and rested his hands on the table before him. He was silent for a moment as his face displayed a smirk, betraying his curiosity. The rogue  then nodded at Dirnhael and responded, "Well, I suppose I'm up for the task, but what exactly is the plan?"

Palandil

Mar 15, 2007, 10:01 AM #38 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007, 10:04 AM by Palandil
Quote from: sdrotar on Mar 13, 2007, 09:41 PM
"Let us not be too hasty, my friend," he said to Fengel.
He looked to Durgil; the youthful noble was a skilled rider and had keen eyes. He and Fengel could both move quickly, and the Eothraim knew the area.
"We need the lay of the land and more knowledge of our foes," he said to the Durgil. "Will you accompany Fengel and ride out to the Dinvuld Hills? Ride at speed, and do not engage the enemy - flee if you must; we cannot afford to lose either of you."

Fengel shook his head, "I knew you would have wisdom in this Dirnhael.  We will ride just before the dawn so that our travel maybe be unseen."

OOC: Fengel plans the trek so that they arrive near the camp before the sun rises.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil nods a confirmation.  "I'll be ready.  If you don't have further use with me at the moment, I'll go prepare."  He departs to see to his horse, then to his gear.  His weapons always ready, he double checks provisions for the short venture yet prepares for bad weather or longer journey.  An eye to a short respite, he drifts into dreams with thoughts of home and hearth.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: I am going to open two new threads for our story - 1) for Fengel and Durgil and their scouting ride, and 2) for the rest of the Company.

Feel free to type anything else you need to in this one, but look to the thread your character is in for new narrative.

PS- Hey Paul, I am glad you like the full name for Fengel!  ;D Especially since I make a lot of this stuff up on the fly!  ;) Keep up the great RP'ing you guys.

BrianM

OOC Hi guys, sorry for being out of touch the past few days. I was in San Fran taking training last week and thought I could keep up with the game in the evenings, but that didn't work out so well (and I forgot to let you know - my bad). Anyway, I'm back now and catching up ...

Cheers,
Brian