• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 09:13 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Thergas

Started by tomcat, Mar 05, 2007, 04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The Company came into the shadows of the Dinvuld Hills with the setting of the sun; it had been 26 miles across the vale and they had made haste behind Fengel. The hills that rose before them were sheer on their eastern face and the bare red rock revealed no hint of an easy path up. Far above, the lights of Thergas flickered and beckoned.

Undaunted, the Éothraim warrior continued his course, riding along paths that he had never forgotten, but a sudden challenge brought everyone to a halt. The companions looked about where they stood and all around could be seen dim figures clutching bows and spears. A voice in Fengel's native tongue shouted out, "Know that you are surrounded and death is close to you! State your business and be swift for these times find our resolve to be quick!"

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

The Éothraim warrior attempts to intimidate the Company (opposed Willpower test required)
Intimidate
Brg +1, Intimidate +7
Roll(1d12)+8: 10,+8 Total:18

Edrahil's Willpowr test TN 18
Willpower +3, Strong-willed +2, Resolute +1
Roll(1d12)+6: 9,+6 Total:15 FAILED (-2 penalty to all tests)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

TN 18 Willpower vs Fear - 12*+1*+2+3 Courage=18

Rochithuin champed at the bit, uneasy by both the sudden halt from the hard run and the presence of fear and menace in the air.  Durgil did what he could to soothe her and she calmed her anxious sounds and movements for the moment.  Durgil looked to Fengel to deliver a response -- these were his folk, he knew how to deal with them.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

TN 18 Willpower vs. Fear
Roll (1d12)+1 (WP) +2 (Hardiness o' Mind): 10+1+2=13

Nain was startled by the sudden appearence of the men but he tried to hide it.  He'd never admit that his heart quailed almost as bad as when they met the dragon.  It was all he could do not to flee back to the save haven of the forge.

Palandil

Willpower TN: 18
+2willpower
Roll(1d12)+2: 1,+2 Total:3  well here we go again.  So what happens to Fengel does he shake and quiver from fear, then fall off his horse like a frozen block of ice?  Really though, I was just rolling after that 1, and I got about 8 ones in about 30 rolls, twice it was right after each other!  Does anybody else have trouble with 1d12?
Tomcat, I guess I use 3 courage to get that to a 12.  Does that allow Fengel to respond?

tomcat

Mar 06, 2007, 12:22 PM #4 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2007, 12:24 PM by tomcat
;D OOC: LOL... you're killin' me Paul! As far as the failed test goes and Fengel in particular... basically Fengel was startled almost out of his saddle. The way you have potrayed him thus, he would have been heavy in thought as to his sister and the lands being overrun and riding almost into one of the defenders of Thergas would bring his mind quickly back to the here and now with a start. So, although he is not wallowing in a panicked state, he has been put out of sorts.

I will not incur the house rule here on a natural 1 roll, but I will put Fengel at a -5 test penalty until he can recompose or the situation becomes less dire.

As far as the dice roller goes... I clicked the d12 about 20 times and only got two 1 results. I think Fengel will have his due real soon here.  ;) I am keeping an eye on how these test results are falling for you guys to see if we should just go back to 2d6, but I am not there yet... I want to see the d12 function a little bit longer.

So, bottom line is RP Fengel as if he had just been startled back to where he is and if any tests need come up in the immediate future, he will have the penalty above. I will let you know when all penalites are removed, but I wouldn't spend any courage on this. I actually made the Intimidate roll just to give you guys a level of surprise and concern that you are in hostile lands (even though you are from there).

Tomcat
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

OOC: Gottcha Tomcat, I'll post in a couple of hours.  I'll be patient a little more with the d12.

sdrotar

Mar 06, 2007, 01:44 PM #6 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2007, 02:16 PM by sdrotar
Willpower Test (TN 18)
Dirnhael's Willpower +2
Roll(1d12)+2: 7,+2 Total:9 - FAIL

OOC: My two cents here - I really don't like the 1d12 concept, either. That gives players a potential roll between 1 and 12, whereas 2d6 gives us a potential roll between 2 and 12. Moreover, while it's even odds to roll anything on a single die, it's statistically less likely to roll poorly (or well!) on both dice simultaneously. It's what the game of craps counts on - that the most likely roll of a pair of dice is seven, and it scales up and down from there.

As it stands, we now have a 1-in-12 chance (8.3%) to roll a one, where in the other system, we had a zero percent chance of doing so and only a 1-in-35 chance (2.9 %) chance of even rolling a two. Of course, there's the possibility of rolling high, too, but the odds of rolling a seven is 8.3% as it stands, where in the original rules with two dice, the odds of rolling a seven was 16.7%, or double our existing setup.

Please look here for further details
, including the exact breakdown of any 2d6 dice system.

In the end, the 1d12 system is essentially random - making spectacular success or failure mathematically as likely as the mundane, which I believe is neither realistic, dramatic nor manageable for either the Narrator or the players.
In contrast, the 2d6 setup statistically demands that all rolls will trend toward the mean of seven, which in my opinion, makes it easier to use - both in terms of game mechanics, and in role playing; as it's a fairer and more sensible representation of a "skill" or "attribute", and helps game/strategy planning accordingly.

But as Dennis Miller used to say, "That's my opinion... I could be wrong". Of course, I'll go along with whatever our house rules end up to be - I merely wanted to see if I could provide a new perspective on things. :)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Palandil

Fengel had been deep in thought the whole ride from Buhr Donun.  He tried to think of where his sister might have flown to if these invaders had come.  Though the more he thought of Gleowyn his mind came up with new thoughts of despair.  He fought hard not to give in to the hopelessness that gnawed at him.

The ride had been faster than he expected and he didn't even realize they had begun to climb the hill to Thergas when the voice of his kin startled him.  After a few moments Fengel collected his thoughts and answered the question put forth.  "I am Fengel-sen-Halath of the Ailgartha clan, I have been gone long only to return to find the land of my father under control of the Sagath and my friends killed or taken as slaves."  Again his sister flashed before his eyes but he dared not think that she was taken.  As if to blame the riders of Thergas he called out his own question, "Why have the riders of Thergas not mounted and delivered her people!"

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotar on Mar 06, 2007, 01:44 PMOOC: My two cents here - I really don't like the 1d12 concept, either...

In the end, the 1d12 system is essentially random - making spectacular success or failure mathematically as likely as the mundane, which I believe is neither realistic, dramatic nor manageable for either the Narrator or the players. In contrast, the 2d6 setup statistically demands that all rolls will trend toward the mean of seven, which in my opinion, makes it easier to use - both in terms of game mechanics, and in role playing; as it's a fairer and more sensible representation of a "skill" or "attribute", and helps game/strategy planning accordingly.

OOC: All right, you guys won the argument with the above paragraph - you are right Shawn, when we are 'skilled' at something, we usually have success at it each time - it is not a random chance - it is usually the difficulty of the task and the surrounding situations that will play into the achieving of success.

So - this said, we are returning our game to the 2d6 dice rolls.
  ;)

An incredulous voice replied to the Éothraim, "If you are Fengel, son of Halath, then you would know of your brother and the sigil he wore."

OOC: Fengel had no brother.

Palandil

With that Fengel smiled, "And if you knew Halath, you would know that I am his only son.  These are my friends from the west with whom I have traveled and fought alongside.  And we have come to find aid for the lands of Buhr Donun, the people have waited for the riders to come for to long."

tomcat

Mar 07, 2007, 05:53 AM #10 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007, 05:58 AM by tomcat
"I knew Halath well... his brother was my father," the voice said sternly as the figure walked out from the shadows of the cliffs.

In the face, Fengel could see the child that he had known many years ago when his father's brother Halend would come to their home and visit. Halend's son was younger than Fengel and the two did not have much in common, but the man before him was certainly that boy - his name was Gareth. Fengel admired how the boy had grown into manhood, tall and strong. He had golden hair like most of the Éothraim and it was woven in a long braid that hung down his back; in his hands he clutched a long spear.

Gareth was postured to strike up into the mounted warrior before him, but his face relaxed as he took in the lines of age on Fengel's face and recognition finally struck home, "It is you... Fengel! You have come home!" He yelled over his shoulder to the other hidden warriors, "Stand down! He is friend and family!"

The younger Éothraim warrior then made inspection of the other companions, "You bring with you men of Gondor and an Elf and Dwarf? Surely you have traveled the world and made valuable alliances! Do more follow behind?"

Fengel too now had a chance to see his cousin's face and though it was young, it was worn with lines of... grief? Stress? The warrior wondered. Gareth, not waiting for Fengel's response to his inquiry, spoke, "Come... it is another 200 yards to climb to the fortress above and the trail is not easy. I recommend you dismount and guide your horses. We shall talk more above."

Once topside, the Company saw the fortress known as Thergas in its full strength. Constructed of earthen ramparts and sun baked bricks, the structure was formidable indeed, espscially with the rough terrain that it sat atop. It could not easily be assaulted from the east but the hills smoothed and rolled out to the west allowing an easier access. Tactically this had little bearing as the enemy that the fortress was meant to defend against came from the east. But like any permanant fortification, a mobile army could roll right past said structure and render its ability to project power useless.

Torches lit the walls in preparation of the coming night as the Company rode into the fort and people stood about looking on the strangers, some with wonder in their eyes. Fengel's question that he had demanded earlier was painfully answered as the Éothraim looked about and took measure of his people's defense - Thergas stood almost empty; its stables light with horses and its walls scarcely manned. A memory of the Company's defense of Barad Eldanar came immediately to mind as each member looked at what the Éothraim people were dealing with. The wind stirred and on it the companions could smell the fetid odor of sickness. The Easterlings were not the only enemy of these people.

OOC: Actions -and/or - dialogue?

Stefan

Nain's first response at seeing the fortress was to determine what could be done to make it stronger.  His mind went easily into studying the earthen works and defenses.  He also studied the weapons and armor of the men on the walls.  There was much work for a smith here but he expected that he'd be swinging the axe as much as the hammer once again the way the events were adding up.

tomcat

Mar 07, 2007, 06:38 AM #12 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007, 08:01 AM by tomcat
Nain was concerned with what he saw of Thergas' construction - not that it had not been built well, but in its lack of upkeep. There was also very little reinforcement of the brick walls that stood atop the natural ramparts. The earth embankments would certainly hold, but the walls could be tumbled if an enemy was ingenious enough to get large war machines on top of the mount to smash them.

As for the weapons and armor of the warriors that surrounded the dwarf, he mostly saw coats of leather and hafted weapons - steel appeared in short supply. There were blades about to be sure, but far too few to the Dwarf's liking and they looked to be in need of service.

Edrahil dismounted and let his horse trot away towards the stabling yard where more of its kind stood. He looked about and concern also sat on his brow. If the Éothraim-folk were suffering from the plague as well, his ability to aid was in short supply for they had very little Ephanial with them.

The Sindar looked at Gareth, "Are there sick here?"

Gareth pointed to a lone structure that sat away from all others, "We have housed them there, but most have been turned away. The bodies of those that die of the wet sickness* are burned just west of here."

They were smart to keep the sick away, but still Edrahil was concerned. The disease was a killer and could show itself in anyone, anywhere. While he pondered how he could aid in this, a stern-looking older warrior approached. Across his back hung a formidable looking sword and his hands and face showed that he had a close familiarity with combat and war. Gareth introduced the man to the Company, "This is Eorlas. He leads Thergas in these times until word comes from Thuidmar, our clan chief."

*wet sickness is what the Éothraim call the plague due to its filling of the lungs with fluid.

Palandil

Fengel looked at Eorlas, he had many questions to ask and the haste that he felt to find his sister caused them to spill out rapidly.  "Where are all of the riders of Thergas?  Have the Sagath come this far into our lands?  You can't still be fighting the plaque from when I left so long ago?  Tell me how long have you been waiting Thuidmar's reinforcements?"  Fengel finally stopped realizing the man had not been able to answer any of his questions.

tomcat

Mar 07, 2007, 10:22 AM #14 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007, 10:44 AM by tomcat
"Your questions shall be answered, but come, let us go in where the light is better," replied Eorlas.

Both Gareth and the commander of Thergas led the companions into a well lit meeting hall. Upon the walls were painted maps of the vale - the land between the Donu River and the Dinvuld Hills. Clearly on the illustration could be seen Thergas and around it were small flags that represented the Éothraim and how Eorlas had positioned the warriors available to him. Also hanging in the room was the smell of food recently cooked and the Company all felt pangs of hunger as they drew in the scent.

Eorlas looked to Fengel, "I remember you lad. You were young when Halath had brought you to this fortress years back." The commander smiled wanly, "Anyway, what you see around you is all the warriors we currently have available. The Sagath swept most of our folk under a quick and decisive attack in the spring of 1636. Our people were reeling from the sickness that came up from the south and even now it still appears in our settlements. We had thought it had run its course and burnt itself out, but then an elder or youth takes ill and with them we lose three or four more. Fortunately the Sagath have also been stricken by the sickness and their numbers dwindled over the summer as well - Ilanin being almost emptied. But while we were weak, Harizän came from east of the Sea of Rhûn and invaded. It is said he is in league with the dark powers of old and thus his people are not taken by the disease. We have not heard from any of those that we spared to send word to Thuidmar, and so we wait."

OOC: Some notes...

There are currently a total of 60 warriors of varying ages under Eorlas' command.

Fengel left home in the summer of 1635 after his father and mother passed that winter and spring from the plague out of the south. Gondor had been heavily stricken in the same year. Over the next few months, Fengel passed over the mountains and worked for a merchant until in the fall 1636 his employer and most of the train died (the plague had crossed the mountains). That as you all know is when Fengel joined up with a Company out of Tharbad on a quest to Rivendell.

So, to sum up - the Éothraim were hit hard by the plague in the fall of 1635 through spring 1636 when the invaders came and now they are contending with both.