• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 08:20 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 9 - Mountain Passage to Wilderland

Started by tomcat, Oct 26, 2006, 09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The Dwarf warrior cocked an eye at Nain as he spoke, sizing him up, and then he replied, "Well met Nain of the Blue Mountains, you have traveled far and I welcome you to the realm of King Bain. I am Dwolin."

He looked past the craftsman at the remaining Company members, doubt in his eyes seeing the Elves and Men, "I know of Lûnduf... what tale do you come to tell?"

The Company could see the warrior Dwarf relax his stance somewhat as he listened to his kinsman answer his question.

Recognition test:
To know Lunduf - TN 10 Lore/Realm (Khazad-dum) test
To know of Nain - TN 15 Wits test

Lore/Realm (Khazad-dum) +5, Specialty +2
Roll(1d12)+7: 9,+7 Total:16 SUCCESS

Wits +2
Roll(1d12)+2: 5,+2 Total:7 FAILED
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil looked to Dirnhael, Fengel, and Edrahil to speak as he knew the dwarf the least, though shared their grief in his loss.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Nain nods in acknowledgement of Dwolin's greeting and moves Jethro out of the way so that the Humans could answer for themselves.

Palandil

OOC: Man, now I've got to reread our story.  Its been so long I forgot our history.  I do remember that Fengel found something of Lunduf's to bring back to his people.  Tomcat do you remember what that was?

tomcat

Quote from: Fengel"But first I am going to Lûnduf's people to tell them of his heroic end and honor him in his home land."

OOC: I think, based on your earlier statement above, you just wanted to honor Lunduf and tell his people of his fall and his heroics. I will allow that you guys were able to save his axe from the ruin on the bridge that spanned Barad Eldanar's moat. Maybe, just the axe head though... the haft having burnt up? I will let you word it how you will. I look forward to the next post.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

BrianM

OOC Just a quick note to let you all know I'm here. I've been at a client site this week (I do IT work) with no free time at all for gaming stuff. I'm catching up now and I'll be back in soon ...

Cheers,
Brian

sdrotar

Dirnhael dismounted and walked up to Dwolin, his right arm extended in greeting.
"I am Dirnhael, Knight of Fornost by way of Tharbad. Many months ago, Lunduf came to Tharbad at the request of Celephain, and your kin sent him as an emissary to help aid in finding a cure for the plague that had spread across the Western lands. Over the months, Lunduf traveled far and wide with Edrahil, Fengel and myself in search of a cure - the flower Ephanial."

He gestured to the others as he spoke.

"Lunduf was an honored guest of Elrond himself at the Last Homely House in Rivendell, and from there we set out with an Elven guide, Mirimon. With Lunduf's help, we found the cure and helped administer it to many lands. Unfortunately, the people of Tharbad were lost to the plague, as well as Mirimon, and Celephain's son, Angbor."

He paused to briefly nod his head in memory of his lost friends.

"During our voyages, we were greatly aided by Camentir, the leader of the Third Army of Fornost. After we had brought the cure to the people our Fornost, we learned that Camentir had been captured by the Witch-King of Angmar, and Camentir's secrets, if revealed, would put the city in great danger. Honor-bound to the man, we set out to release him from the clutches of Angmar, and Durgil joined us as a scout."

He nodded towards Durgil, and then looked toward Nain.

"On the journey north, we came across Nain, who had lost his brother to the spawn of Ungoliant, and nearly lost his own life, as well. He accompanied us north, filling Lunduf with pride and and two of them held the captured keep of Barad Eldanar along with members of the Third Army for days as the rest of our Company retrieved Camentir. When the Witch-King had learned of his loss, he summoned the dragon Scatha to destroy the Third Army, Camentir, and our Company. In the great battle that ensued, Lunduf perished by the dragon's flame while saving Nain's life by pushing him away from the pillar of fire."

He noticed that Nain wiped briefly at his eye, and Dirnhael fought off the need to do the same.

"His sacrifice was not in vain, however. By distracting Scatha, the worm was vulnerable and paid no mind to the two men attacking from the rear. As Camentir slashed at the dragon, I was able to bury my blade into it's belly. Scatha fled the battlefield, and the city of Fornost was thus spared certain destruction. Many owe Lunduf their lives, but members of this Company, most of all.

"He was a boon companion, a brave warrior, and a credit to Dwarves everywhere. But most of all, he was our friend, and so we voyage here to pay our respects to his kin," he said with a slight bow.

He nodded to Nain, as Lunduf's fellow Dwarf was entrusted with the head of Lunduf's axe.

"We have something of Lunduf's; something that deserves a place of honor in Khazad-dum, but I leave it to his kin to present it."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Always a folk that enjoyed good tales, especially ones regarding heroic Dwarves, Dwolin listened intently, only interrupting enough to add a grunt or nod. But when Dirnhael had completed and Nain took the axehead from his saddlebags, the warrior Dwarf shook his head and held out his hands in protestation.

"No... there is no time for that, nor is this the place. You must come to the gates and the door ward will announce you... then it will be up to King Bain as to whether or not you will be recieved. I would show you to the doors, but I must wait here. I wait for my comrades who spent the night on patrol the evening past... but they have yet to return."

A confused look crossed the Dwarf's face, "Per chance did you see a patrol of four Dwarves on your approach? There have been troll problems just to the north and they were scouting out potential nests. I fear the worst..."

Dwolin looked first to Dirnhael and then to the others for a response to his question.

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 03, 2006, 03:53 PM
A confused look crossed the Dwarf's face, "Per chance did you see a patrol of four Dwarves on your approach? There have been troll problems just to the north and they were scouting out potential nests. I fear the worst..."

Dwolin looked first to Dirnhael and then to the others for a response to his question.

"No, we have not. Our journey through these lands has been peaceful. Can we assist in some way?"

tomcat

"This span must be guarded, so I may not leave...," Dwolin thought out loud.

He then looked up at Dirnhael, in regards to his offer, "The door ward must know of your presence... you have come this far, you must be announced. Still, word of my comrades would be helpful. You may either go to the door and tell my kin that I wait here for word of our patrol and that another may be necessary, or perhaps..."

The Dwarf was obviously puzzling over the best thing to do, "Mayhaps you go out and look for them, while some of your folk present themselves to the door ward?"

Dirnhael and his companions immediately could see that Dwolin was a warrior, but not one of any level of command - his uncertainty was all to evident.

sdrotar

Dirnhael took measure of the Dwarf and thought that locating their patrol wouldn't hurt their chances of being admitted to the Dwarven stronghold.
Though he had no desire to deal with trolls, allowing members of the Free Folk to remain at their mercy wasn't a reasonable option to Dirnhael, either.

"I will attempt to find your patrol," he said to Dwolin. Turning to the Company, he said, "If anyone wishes to stay with Dwolin, they may, but I welcome those who choose to join me in this search."

Wiseman

Nov 05, 2006, 04:20 AM #26 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2006, 05:33 AM by tomcat
"I will set forth to find the missing patrol."  Seriand said from atop his horse, a much reserved Seriand as of late, as he continued to mull over his decisions and the outcome of things that had past.

GandalfOfBorg

"If trolls are indeed about, no one should be left alone.  I shall remain with Dwolin."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

A pang of regret coursed through Nain as he thought about waiting once again to see the beautiful halls that he had yearned for all this time. But there was still work to be done and that was that.

"Well, we'd best be going.  If these dwarves are amoungst the trolls they'll be easier to get back while there's still light in the sky."

Nikitas

Galudir was struck silent when Dirnhael offered to help the dwarves. He was accustomed to taking work on short notice, but this company seemed to be preoccupied with charity where they went. Still he welcomed some adventure after the dull travel and he wanted to insure that his paymasters would survive the search.

"I will join you all in your search, I may as well add troll hunter to my list of experiences."