• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 10:06 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The way is open...

Started by tomcat, Sep 16, 2006, 05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

Once the two had rejoined their companions, Durgil asked in a subdued voice, "How is that you escaped the village after all that noise?  Surely they didn't just let you go."  Upon spying one additional to their number, he pointedly asks, "Who is he?"  The young Dunadan notes what expression he could see upon his reference to Thermon.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 21, 2006, 05:28 AM #16 Last Edit: Sep 21, 2006, 05:31 AM by tomcat
As Dirnhael hung his baldric over his shoulder with Vorandur now in place, Edrahil and Durgil walked into the small clearing. Both Elf and Man had a relieved look upon their face when they saw that all of their companions were there, equipped, and none seemed harmed.

OOC: Actions - and/or - Dialogue?

[EDIT] I wrote this as Matt posted so play off his comments.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Sep 21, 2006, 05:07 AM
Once the two had rejoined their companions, Durgil asked in a subdued voice, "How is that you escaped the village after all that noise?  Surely they didn't just let you go."  Upon spying one additional to their number, he pointedly asks, "Who is he?"  The young Dunadan notes what expression he could see upon his reference to Thermon.

Durgil looked stronger, more vital than he had just hours before, Dirnhael thought. Perhaps breathing the free air again did him some good... he was pleased to see it.

"This is Thermon, who aided our escape," he said, speaking to Durgil while looking at the newcomer. "You and I will have to discuss his payment." Dirnhael hoped that the young noble would either have money or know where to get some.
"He is... rabble... of the highest quality," saying the last with a slight smile upon his lips.

"They let us go... after Fengel and Seriand gave them no choice but to do so," Dirnhael said with a twinge of regret. He did not regret their actions, of course - they had bought their freedom - but he wished he had not had to leave a people to wither and die... he left Tharbad so long ago in the first place to stop the same thing from happening to others.

Perhaps there was still hope.

He looked at Edrahil. "What have you found, my friend?"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil watches the faces of the others and especially Dirhael as he gives his recount.  "Payment?" he queries, giving the newcomer an evil eye.  There was definitely more to this story that he should definitely know about.  "They don't make rabble like they used to then," he quips.  Giving way to Edrahil to relay their goings-on, Durgil resolves to keep an eye -- a close eye -- on Thermon.
Gwaithlim Weapons

BrianM

Quote from: sdrotar on Sep 21, 2006, 07:44 AM
He looked at Edrahil. "What have you found, my friend?"

Edrahil breathed a sigh of relief when he saw his other companions alive and relatively unscathed. "There is an old elven structure nearby. Apparently your 'apparitions' were pointing the way there. We should go there to rest, for there is a fountain that will reinvigorate us after our ordeal. Durgil has already drunk from it, and it's healing properties are apparent. When we are there we can discuss our course. The view is quite interesting."

[ooc assuming everyone goes along with this ... ]

On the way back to the gazebo, Edrahil asked if any of the villagers were killed in the escape attempt, and was quite relieved when he learned that no life was lost. Edrahil moved close to Fengel so that he might speak with the horseman. "Fengel, I know that you were angry with my words while we were in the stockade, and for that I am sorry. I understand your frustration with their treatment of us. Despite that, these men fought against the orcs that attacked us. Yes, they mistreated us, but they are more barbaric and superstitious than us, and we are ignorant of their ways. Had blood been shed in our escape, the consequences could have been dire. When those who oppose the Shadow fight amongst themselves, it is surely a victory for the Enemy. I hope you can understand that this is why I opposed our attempt to escape."

Palandil

Fengel placed a friendly hand upon Edrahil.  "I am not accustomed to caring for those who miss treat me.  And my freedom seems all that I have right now.  Do not think that I am uncaring though.  Being penned in like useless animals tends to put men on edge."  He says with a chuckle.  Taking his hand back he adds, "I too am glad that no blood was shed, they need their strength."

BrianM

Once back at the elven ruins, Edrahil pointed across the lake, inviting everyone to look for the companion structure to this one. "This is a place of seeing. The enchantment still exists, allowing you to see much farther than normal. Across the water is another structure similar to this one, although it also lies in ruins. Unlike this structure, which has suffered from the passage of time, the other looks like it has been destroyed, likely by agents of the Shadow. Within it lies an iron brazier, the purpose of which I cannot guess."

"This past night, while surrounded by the strange fog, Durgil and I saw lights coming from the location across the water. I believe that we must investigate this other structure, for therein lies a clue to solving the mystery of this place."

tomcat

OOC: Very nice post Brian! I am digging this!   :D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

Seriand listened to the banter but could not bring himself to want to help the Dunmen, their treatment had been foul indeed and had left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"Or we could continue on our course and let these men take care of their own."  Seriand took a drink from the well and filled his drinking pouch with the wonderful water.

sdrotar

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," Dirnhael mused.
The Dunmen did not treat them well, to be sure, but they treated Orcs and the like more harshly.

Allowing free people to fall - even those such as the Dunmen - allowed the Shadow to grow, and aiding the Shadow; even by inaction, was not an option in Dirnhael's mind.

"Drink from the fountain," he suggested. "We will need our strength if we are to see this through. I will not simply let Men wither and die while something can still be done to stop it."

BrianM

Quote from: Wiseman on Sep 22, 2006, 09:16 AM
"Or we could continue on our course and let these men take care of their own."  Seriand took a drink from the well and filled his drinking pouch with the wonderful water.

Edrahil joined Seriand at the fountain, taking a deep drink of the healing water. "I understand your anger with the Dunmen, Seriand, for they have done us all a great injustice. My fear is that whatever evil is upon them may spread beyond their small village."

Palandil

Fengel too went to the fountain.  Standing across from the elves he listened to their conversation, as he dipped his hands into the cool water to drink.  He could not imagine what devilry could be plaquing these people.  And though he didn't want to care since they hindered his return to his sister, he wasn't one to leave people that were being attacked.  Even if the enemy was still unseen.

And so he too prepared to follow Dirnhael to aid yet another desperate people.  After getting his fill of the mystic water, Fengel again filled his hands and brought it to Heostor who was standing near to him.

Nikitas

Galudir remained on the edge of the gazebo, just below the last steps up, while the others gathered around and began drinking from the fountain. It seemed that they were planning an investigation, to help the hillfolk of all people. And from the way the apparent leader, that Dirnhael, spoke it was not likely Galudir would be paid any time soon. His band will probably leave him for dead or captured by the time he returned to their meeting place. With a heavy sign Galudir climbed the last few steps dragging his horse behind them, "So then you mean to explore this other ruin? After last night I think some rest is in order first. For my part I will go find a stream for a drink, and possibly some food in the forest as well."

sdrotar

Sep 22, 2006, 10:37 PM #28 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2006, 10:41 PM by sdrotar
Dirnhael turned to Seriand and spoke quietly.
"If you are hale, please follow Thermon from a distance and observe him in the forest. Your Elven footfalls are but a whisper, and whatever his experience as a woodsman, it certainly pales in comparison to your own. I do not trust him yet, and I would rather not risk being sold out to someone else on our voyage if he chooses to depart."

His features softened as he looked away from the receding form of Thermon and back to Seriand.
"I realize your anger with the Dunmen; I share it. But please understand; they are still Men, and I would not leave my kin to die anymore than you would leave a withering village of The Firstborn."

He placed his hand on the Elf's shoulder.
"We need you with us... I need you with us."

GandalfOfBorg

"What about these people causes you so much ire between our escape and now?" Durgil queries suspiciously.  "Put yourself in their place... what would you believe if you in their situation?  Just what did happen in the village that allowed you to leave unhindered after all that commotion?"
Gwaithlim Weapons