• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 07:25 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Nightime incursions

Started by tomcat, Aug 11, 2006, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Quote from: BrianM on Aug 15, 2006, 09:43 AM
Quote from: sdrotar on Aug 15, 2006, 01:45 AM
He began to whisper his thoughts to Edrahil, knowing that his friend's ears could hear his words in the near-silence.

[ooc curious about the mechanics here: is this type of communication two way?]

In his meditative state, Edrahil had not noticed the approach of Nain, but the words of Seriand and Dirnhael, as well as the stance of the others in the stockade, allowed the elf to understand what was about to take place. While his kin distracted the guards, Edrahil stood, approached Dirnhael casually so as not to attract attention, and responded in a whisper, "I do not agree with this course of action, but there is naught I can do to deter Nain. You know I will stand with the group whatever may befall, but we must be willing to accept the consequences of our actions. I do not believe these men to be held by the Shadow. What then are we to become if we attack, or worse, kill?""

"I understand," Dirnhael said. He shared his friend's concerns.
But the fact was that these men had captured them, taken their weapons, and held them against their will with little nourishment nor care for days. They may not be under the sway of the Shadow, but they were certainly not their friends.

Though Dirnhael hoped to help them if possible, it was not fair to the rest of the Company for him to indulge himself at the risk of their safety.

"But it is still time to leave," he said, hoping that Edrahil could tell what was in his heart.
"Now."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Aug 16, 2006, 04:02 AM #16 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006, 08:26 PM by tomcat
[MODIFIED]

Nain was somewhat at a loss as to what to do next.  He wanted to rush the guards but it was clear that the two on the far side of the stockade could see that two in front and could easily raise an alarm before anything could be done about it.  His new companion was obviously more sneaky than he...Maybe something could be donw while they were distracted after all. 

Carefully the dwarf leaned to the human and pulled him down so that he could share the plan.

"The rear guards are watching the front guards but no one is watching them.  Lets take them out quickly while the front guards are busy.  You take the one on the Northwest and I'll take he Southwest."

Nain waits for a nod then heads around the huts using all the cover that he can to circle around and get behind the SW guard.  Once there (if not spotted already) he waits for Thermon to appear behing the other guard.  He then whacks his guard on the back of the head with his axe and hopes that Thermon does something similar.

Stealth Roll
Roll (2d6)+2; 4,6+2=12 +3 =15 Spend 1 courage -1 for winded = 14

Armed Combat Roll (In case I get lucky again.  Not sure how knocking someone out works)
Roll (2d6)+9; 3,4+9=16 -1 for winded, +2 for attacking Larger opponent = 17

tomcat

OOC: Stefan - first of all, great post! I like Nain's thinking. Second, can you do me a favor and go to the RPG profiler website for your character and click on the details link. Once there, choose the button that accepts the invitation to join the campaign. This allows me to edit your online character sheet as needed. I appreciate it thanks.

To everyone - when you guys do a post that includes the use of Courage or there are some results in wounds or weariness, I need your character sheets updated. We can do this one of two ways: 1) you guys make the adjustments immediately; 2) I do it after I read your posts and audit the results.

Let's choose an option that best suits so that we are not doubling up the effects of a post. Your input is appreciated...

Lastly, I am loving the dialogue between each of your characters and the moral issues with the current situation. You guys are doing a great job of RP'ing these characters!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

Fengel had stood next to Dirnhael and Edrahil, and at first the elf's comment infuriated him.  He was hungery, dirty, tired, and still recovering from wounds, and these people did nothing to show concern for them.  He normally didn't feel this way, but he wanted to scream at the elf.  He could not understand concern for the unconcerned.  Then, as if to break the anger that was overtaking him, Dirnhael spoke.  He was glad that his leader was not getting too soft.  With that he looked to Dirnhael for instuctions.  "What plans Dirnhael?"

Nikitas

OCC: I suppose this will come after any quick dialogue amongst the people in the stockade. I would like Galudir to make a blunt attack using the pommel of his sword.

Stealth Test:
2d6= 5,5
Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+7), Furtive (+1), Observe (Spot) Affinity (+1)
10+3+7+1+1= 22

Armed Combat (Blades: Long sword):
2d6= 1,6
Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+6), Speciality (+2), Courage (+3)
7+3+6+2+3= 21
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galudir offered a quick nod at the dwarf's plan, waiting for him to move first before moving around the nearby hut. Once Galudir saw Nain rush from the shadows he ran toward the guard, drawing his blade as he did so.

Stefan

OOC: Thanks, I accepted the campaign and reduced the courage on my sheet as you requested. Sorry that I hadnt accepted it before, it slipped my mind.

By the way, that attack on the guard is supposed to be with the Side of the axe so that hopefully it wont kill him.

sdrotar

Quote from: Palandil on Aug 16, 2006, 07:12 AM
Fengel had stood next to Dirnhael and Edrahil, and at first the elf's comment infuriated him.  He was hungery, dirty, tired, and still recovering from wounds, and these people did nothing to show concern for them.  He normally didn't feel this way, but he wanted to scream at the elf.  He could not understand concern for the unconcerned.  Then, as if to break the anger that was overtaking him, Dirnhael spoke.  He was glad that his leader was not getting too soft.  With that he looked to Dirnhael for instuctions.  "What plans Dirnhael?"

As Dirnhael was about to respond, the Dwarf and an unknown man rushed the guards, rendering any of what Dirnhael might have said moot. The two men, reflexes honed from battle, sprang into action with only a look of understanding between them.

OOC: Dirnhael will try to incapacitate the nearest guard as quickly and as quietly as possible. Is there a particular combat action I should take?

GandalfOfBorg

OOC:  :D is there enough ruckus that Durgil didn't fall back asleep or not enough so that he continues to sleep?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Aug 16, 2006, 05:06 PM
OOC:  :D is there enough ruckus that Durgil didn't fall back asleep or not enough so that he continues to sleep?

OOC: I smell a comic relief scene coming! ;)

tomcat

OOC: Hey you guys, I am sorry for the delay here. I have been so busy with work and by the time I get to sit down to relax in front of the computer, I want to go to bed! ::)

Anyway, I promise a post in the morning that will give an answer to all questions and results on actions taken.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Aug 18, 2006, 07:51 AM #25 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2006, 08:31 PM by tomcat
OOC: First to answer the questions:

Quote from: StefanNot sure how knocking someone out works.

Okay, stunning/knocking out characters require a 'called shot' to the head which adds a modifier to the TN to hit. So, here is the breakdown:

Dunmen Spearmen Defence TN 15, Surprise for Nain and Galudir -3, Faint Light +3= Defence TN 15

Nain and Galudir hit and the Dunmen save against Stun effects TN 10 and 15 respectively

Stamina test TN 10 vs. Nain
Roll(2d6)+1: 6,2,+1 Total:9 FAILED

Stamina test TN 15 vs. Nain
Roll(2d6)+1: 4,5,+1 Total:10 FAILED

Quote from: sdrotarIs there a particular combat action I should take?

Hey Shawn, I need you to make the following test rolls:

Jump TN 7 - to climb and leap over the stockade fence
Unarmed Combat (Grapple or Wrestle) - I will roll an opposed test to this

*remember everyone, there is only faint starlight

Quote from: GoBIs there enough ruckus that Durgil didn't fall back asleep or not enough so that he continues to sleep?

Durgil has not been getting sound sleep to speak of, so he would be aware of the talking going on around him and would most likely stir from Seriand's question and then the actions that are commencing.

Okay... now to the post!  ;)

To be continued...

Nikitas

OOC: Alright then... so... plan B?

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 18, 2006, 07:51 AM
OOC: First to answer the questions:

Quote from: sdrotarIs there a particular combat action I should take?

Hey Shawn, I need you to make the following test rolls:

Jump TN 7 - to climb and leap over the stockade fence
Unarmed Combat (Grapple or Wrestle) - I will roll an opposed test to this

--Jump (TN 7)
Roll(2d6)+2:5,6,+2 Total:13 - SUCCESS

--Called shot to head - Unarmed Combat +5 (OOC: I'd better level up on this soon!)
Roll(2d6)+5:4,3,+5 Total:12

Palandil

Instinct took over and Fengel followed Dirnhael over the fence.  He hoped that they could overtake there captors with out being speared.  His plan was to aid Dirnhael in taking out one of the guards and taking his spear as quickly as possible.

Jump TN: 7
jump +1; Str +1
Roll(2d6)+2: 4,5,+2 Total:11

Unarmed Combat
UC +1; Nim +1; Warwise +3; Brawl +2
Roll(2d6)+7: 2,2,+7 Total:11  +1 Courage = 14

Fengel is going to punch the living daylites out of the quard who hopefully will be concentrating on spearing Dirnhael.

GandalfOfBorg

Well he definitely sat up and took notice when his comrades made their move.  More than willing to take up the action with them, Durgil was still to weak it anything more than a hindrance to their efforts.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16