• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 10:50 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

To scare a ghost...

Started by tomcat, Jul 11, 2006, 07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikitas

Jul 19, 2006, 02:43 PM #15 Last Edit: Jul 19, 2006, 02:50 PM by Nikitas
Damn the dwarves and their stone-hard heads thought Galudir as he let out a brief sigh.

"Very well, I will leave you to your splendid sepulcher, but I will not linger in this place. Now if you will but lower your axe as I make my exit, we can resolve this matter rather peacefully."

Reasoning that it would be better to offer the dwarf more about his business than to clash blade and axe, Galudir added, "As to your bewildering suspicion, I am not following you. Rather, I have business with the Dunmen, but my paymasters would prefer some discretion so that is all I will say on the matter.

Stefan

"Ye speak the language of the Dunlanders?  I'm not sure if I trust ye but 'a friend in need,' as they say."

Nain carefully lowers his axe.

"My travelling companions have been taken captive by the Dunmen."

The dwarf paused for a moment, not really knowing how or wanting to ask anything of this human.  Finally his need out weighed his pride, though only slightly.

"Since ye're going that way, maybe ye could talk to 'em and find out why?"

tomcat

OOC: BRAVO GUYS! I am digging the character dialogue. I know that it can be confoundingly slow playing-by-post, but it is so great. In all of my years of gaming at tables, it was always so hard to get players to talk in character, but this medium of play just allows such creativity!

I am enjoying it... keep it up!

Tomcat
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

Galudir moved to speak before his breath was stolen from him. The dwarf was willing to lower his axe as long as Galudir was useful, thus Galudir would endeavor to remain useful, even if he could not speak to the Dunmen.

"Yes, yes I could do so. Speak Dunnish that is. However, it is unfortunate for you that I have already concluded my business with them and we have not parted on especially good terms." Galudir brought his arms down and rested his right hand over his coin pouch, tapping it slightly to the effect of very few coins clinking together.

Pursuing his lips and covering them with first finger of his left hand, Galudir began to pace away in what seemed like careful thought. It was, in fact, panic rather than careful reason that ran across his mind. "Yet perhaps there are other alternatives to negotiation, hmm? After all, I followed yo- the path up to this terrace without your notice. I may be of some use in a, shall we say, far more subtle negotiation than you had previously imagined." Galudir then turned back to dwarf awaiting an answer before adding quickly, "But before much more discussion, could we possibly move away from this place, if only out of reverence for its... haunting beauty?"

Stefan

Something in the way the man spoke raised the heckles on the back of Nain's neck, but he'd found no other help and his options and time were dwindling quickly.

"Aye, ye've proved yerself stealthy if not trustworthy.  Lead the way.  We'll head back down the hill and ye can explain."

Nain waits for the man to turn, keeping a careful eye on him as he walks back down the path.

tomcat

Behind the two, the ancient Elven structure returned to the silence it had known for the past centuries, only the gurgle of the fresh, clear spring water made any noise.

Nain followed on as Galudir, or Thermon as the rogue had referred to himself, walked back down off the cobbled path and into the pine forest. There they found both horse and pony waiting in silence, but seemingly enjoying each others company. It was then that Galudir noticed the deer laying there... it had not been there before.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nikitas

OOC: I guess I would like to take a Track or a Observe(Spot) to see if Galduir can learn anything about how the deer got there. I will post both as I'm not sure which is appropriate.

Observe(Spot) Test:
2d6= 5,3
Perception (+1), Skill Ranks (+3), Speciality (+2)
8+1+3+2= 14

Track Test:
2d6= 5,5
Wits (+1), Skill Ranks (+2), Speciality for Dunmen's tracks (+2), Observe Affinity (+1)
10+1+2+2+1= 16 for the Dunmen and 14 for the deer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So then I suppose it would be best for us to wait until nightfall. I do not recall if you have ever mentioned how many of your companions were-" Galudir suddenly stopped in his speech and stared down at the dead deer near the horses.

"Unless your pony enjoys some venison on occasion master dwarf, then I believe we may have a mystery here." Galudir spoke quietly to the dwarf, this had been a strange and taxing day already, so he felt no need to attract any more guests.

Stefan

Nain looked at the deer that had been left, he hadn't seen it on the way up but that doesnt mean that it hadn't been there and he'd missed it.  It didn't really change the fact that he needed to deal with the Dunlanders and free his companions if he ever wanted to see Khazad-Dum. 

"Aye, probably left by the dunmen along with the rest of these."

Nain gestures at the rest of the hanging skulls with his axe.

"We've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.  Ye've still not explained what you meant by yer comments up the hill."

tomcat

Jul 25, 2006, 06:58 AM #23 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2006, 08:39 AM by tomcat
Galudir quickly perceives the footprints of the Dunmen who had dropped the deer and it was easy to see that the tracks continued up and over the ridge, down to the settlement below.

OOC: I need Nain and Galudir to give me an Observe (Listen) test TN 10. Iff successful, then they may give me a Hide test roll - understand that if you try to hide your horse too, it will reduce the test results based on Size modifiers.

Stefan

Observe (Listen) TN 10
Roll (2d6) +6: 5,6+6= 17

Nain hears someone coming and onders for a second standing his ground, his dwarf nature warring with the notion that he might not win.  Finally he decides that fighting is probably not his best choice.  He then turns and walks back up the path with Jethro in tow.

"If yer business went poorly then ye may not want to be here when they come."

Nikitas

Observe(Listen) Test TN 10:
2d6= 5,3
Perception (+1), Skill Ranks (+3)
8+1+3+= 14

Stealth(Hide) Test:
2d6= 4,6
Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+7), Speciality (+2), Observe Affinity (+1), Survival Affinity (+1)
10+3+7+2+1+1= 25

OCC: I think the Die Roller likes me.  :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galudir heard the dwarf and saw him leaving up toward the terrace, but he was then distracted by a noise out of the forest. Quickly, he turns his head back to his horse and then back again to the noise which was much closer now. Galudir ran to his horse and took hold of the reins, then as fast as he could he moved around to a large tree, hoping to conceal himself and his horse from whomever was approaching.

tomcat

Quote from: Nikitas on Jul 25, 2006, 09:05 PMStealth(Hide) Test:
2d6= 4,6
Nimbleness (+3), Skill Ranks (+7), Speciality (+2), Observe Affinity (+1), Survival Affinity (+1)
10+3+7+2+1+1= 25

OOC:
Observe (Spot) TN 25
Rank +6, Per +1, Specialty +2, Size bonus +2, Affinity bonus +1
Roll(2d6)+13: 2,6,+13 Total:21

Search TN 25
Search +7, Per +1, Size Mod +2, Affinity bonuses +3
Roll(2d6)+13: 1,4,+13 Total:18

The band of Dunmen followed the hunters up onto the ridge and back to where Jethro had been standing not five minutes ago. The warrior chief glanced about to see where the beast could have gotten to as one of the Dunmen who had seen it begins to stammer on about the pony. Thetwo  hunters plead to their comrades that the animal had been standing right in the glen, but nothing could be seen.

The chief knelt down to the ground to examine the area nd to search for any signs and he soon found what he looked for... hoof prints in the soft forest soil went off in the direction of the north and east - there was also a set of heavy shodded prints. With a wordless command, the warrior led his men off on the trail left by Nain and Jethro, following it until it became apparent that it led to the old cobbled Elven path.

Not far away, and well concealed, Galudir watched the Dunmen as they approached the path that Nain had just followed back up to the Elven structure, but then they stopped. There was a rapid exchange of words and glances towards the wooden chimes that hung about and then the group turned back to head towards their settlement. Along the way, they stopped to retrieve the deer and then they were gone back over the ridgeline.

Galudir sighed a bit of relief and patted his horse on the neck, thanking the steed for being so quiet. He wondered where the Dwarf had gotten off too.

Stefan

Nain walked up the hill away from the men that he had heard.  He didn't really have a plan but he knew that it would be bad if they caught him following them and thought that maybe their superstition would protect him.  He wouldn't bring Jethro into he gazebo out of respect but it seemd like the skulls had been hung to ward off evil spirits and this would probably be the place from where they would arise.  He stopped just outside of the gazebo and removed the waterskin from Jethro's pack then walks over to the fountain and fills it from the water pouring down over the crumbled stonework.

tomcat

As Nain bottles the cool flowing water, he puts the waterskin to his lips for a quick sip - might as well see if it was still a clean spring. The water was refreshing and the Dwarf felt rejuvinated both of wound and weariness and he smiled as he put the skin back to the bubblling fount and filled it the rest of the way.

OOC: The water restored all weariness and it will heal all health points in your current wound level save 1. This is a one time benefit from the Elven fountain, but any character will benefit who takes a full draught of the water.

It will lose its benefits after 1 day of being stored - of course, Nain and others do not know this. ;D

Stefan

After refilling the waterskin Nain waits for a while, enjoying the beauty of the scenery before him till he thought that the Dunmen would have been there to get him.  Since they hadn't they must have either not seen his tracks, or more likely, they feared the ghosts of the past as Humans often did, and scurried back to their village.

He walked back and took Jethro's reins and walked back down the path.

"Hoy, come out and let's discuss this plan of yours."