• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 09:16 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Gifts and parting farewells...

Started by tomcat, Mar 10, 2006, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Quote from: Dirnhael"All is well, lady Arwen," he replied. "We have chosen our route, and though I long to tarry forever in this place, it is time for us to continue our voyage. I cannot thank you enough for your hospitality and the skills your people have offered us during our stay."

Arwen smiled at Dirnhael and looked down at her burden, "Before you should go, I offer this. T'is naught but your own sword, given to you by the Lady Ioreth in Fornost, whom you hold dear. I have just seen to it that the grace of the Elves be laid upon it so that it may serve you in your journey and see to it that you return safely once more to your home."

Arwen unveiled the weapon from her long flowing robe and the blade gleamed an eldritch light captured from the stars that it had reflected while the Elven-smiths had worked upon it. The graceful mithril tracery shined brighter than the steel in which it was laid, "It has been dubbed Vorandur, enduring devotion, may it fulfill its need for you and see you once more back home to she whom you love."

The lady of Rivendell handed the sword to Dirnhael and he marvelled at its new beauty all the while measuring its balance. It was the same sword he could tell, but it was greatly enhanced feeling lighter in his hands than it had before.

OOC: More gifts and farewells will come once we move to the morning scene when the Company readies to leave.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: This is a great place!  You get a goody bag and everything :D
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: Well I just didn't want everyone to feel left out! ;D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

sdrotar

Mar 10, 2006, 09:27 PM #3 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006, 05:59 AM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Mar 10, 2006, 10:31 AMArwen smiled at Dirnhael and looked down at her burden, "Before you should go, I offer this. T'is naught but your own sword, given to you by the Lady Ioreth in Fornost, whom you hold dear. I have just seen to it that the grace of the Elves be laid upon it so that it may serve you in your journey and see to it that you return safely once more to your home."

Arwen unveiled the weapon from her long flowing robe and the blade gleamed an eldritch light captured from the stars that it had reflected while the Elven-smiths had worked upon it. The graceful mithril tracery shined brighter than the steel in which it was laid, "It has been dubbed Vorandur, enduring devotion, may it fulfill its need for you and see you once more back home to she whom you love."

The lady of Rivendell handed the sword to Dirnhael and he marvelled at its new beauty all the while measuring its balance. It was the same sword he could tell, but it was greatly enhanced feeling lighter in his hands than it had before.

"I do not know how to properly thank you, my lady," Dirnhael said. "This is a gift beyond any I would have imagined."
The smile from her again - it bewitched him.

The blade was extravagant and perfectly balanced. It was truly his - re-made for his hand alone.
A magnificent work it was, built by the strength of Men and honed to perfection by the magic of the Elves. It seemed fitting, somehow, and he wondered what other such glories could be created from the pairing of the two.

"I shall treasure this always and it will be an heirloom to my kin. I swear to wield it in the spirit it was made - for the good of the Free Peoples." He bowed deeply to Arwen, their connection still tangible and felt in ways that Dirnhael did not understand.

LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Mar 11, 2006, 05:57 AM #4 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2006, 07:01 PM by tomcat
The evening passed quietly for the companions as they sat about on the great porch, drawing from their pipes and listening to the soft voices of Elven minstrels singing. In time, each of the Company excused themselves as they went to find their beds so they would be rested for the next day's journey.

Fengel was the last and he thoughtfully drew on his clay pipe as he stared at the looming mountains above Rivendell. Even at night he could see that their heads were cloudy and was sure that snow still fell in great quantities there. He was glad of the choice made by the Company; the south road on the western side of the mountains would give them time for summer to set in and the passes to clear.

At last he stood, stretched while tapping out the pipe and walked off to his own apartment. All the while, the mountains sat staring down at the valley as they marched off in both directions north and south.

The Company prepared their horses and then ate a quiet breakfast. They were not joined by any notable of the house of Elrond, only the few Elven aids that worked in the stables and who prepared the food. Dirnhael wondered if the master of the house would see them off.

With their bellies full, they mounted, said a quick goodbye to the Elves that had attended them and began to ride from Imladris proper. It was then that the Elrond appeared, and to Dirnhael he was regrettably alone but for a single servant who seemed to be burdened with a few items. The Dunadan wished to see and thank the Lady Arwen at least one more time, but it was not to be so.

"The time has come at last for you to make your way," said Elrond. "I hope the resources of my house have helped you in your journey and allowed you the rest needed before this most arduous leg of your trip. But before you go, I would see that you had some gifts to see you through..."

Elrond nodded to the Silvan Elf beside him, "For you Durgil son of Gelmir, I give to you one of the bows of Rivendell crafted by our bowyers and strung with the hair of Elves - may it be accurate and true. For you Dwarf, my craftsmen have made this baldric for your axe."

Nain saw that the ornate dark green and black leather baldric was sized perfectly for the Dwarf's stature. It hung over the appropriate shoulder allowing for the axe to hang with its head down in a sheath, the axe handle right at his hands reach. Behind him, Durgil smiled as he looked at his own gift, the bow well-crafted and its tension strong.

Continuing, Elrond turned to Dirnhael, "I understand that my daughter has seen to providing you with a treasure that is distinctly yours but take this." Elrond handed Dirnhael a small broach, "The broach is in gratitude for your selfless efforts in aiding the Prince of Arthedain and securing the future of the Dunedain of the North... at least for a while. May it mark you as an Elf-friend and you and yours shall always be granted the peace of Imladris."

Elrond turned to Fengel last, "To you Eothraim I have given maps that will help you make your way to the lands of your birth, but take this too... a sheath for you to hang the sword Cerduil within." And finally to the two Elves Elrond spoke, "I know no gift that I may give you that you do not already possess, but take this lembas and miruvor to sustain you along this trip."

Stepping aside to give them the road, Elrond bowed his head, "May the Light of Elbereth shine on your path."

OOC: Benefits of the gifts:
Durgil* - Rivendell bow bestows a +2 to Ranged Combat, +1 to damage and is preserved against wear.
Nain - the sheath protects the axe and it will never again be tarnished or notched, although it can still be broken.
Dirnhael* - the broach grants the Edge Elf-friend.
Fengel - like Nain's sheath above.
Seriand and Edrahil - the lembas and miruvor are both written up in The Fellowship of the Ring Sourcebook (page 106 and 121 respectively); each elf has 5 cakes and 1 leather skin with 35 swallows inside.

*character sheet updated and uploaded

GandalfOfBorg

"This is indeed an honor and privelege, Lord Elrond -- your hospitality is beyond measure."  At that, the young Dunadan could say no more as all words left him, but the gratitude and pride beamed from him.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

Taking the gifts Fengel bowed, "Thank you Lord Elrond for the gifts and especially your hospitality.  If my road may never see me here again, Rivendell will ever be in my heart and my memories."

Wiseman

"I would ask for nothing more m'lord.  Your kindness and aid is more than enough."

sdrotar

Dirnhael bowed deeply, as he knew the honor bestowed upon him was not one given lightly.
"I have no words, sir," he said. "save that I am proud to accept this gift, and vow to be worthy of it."

He noticed the corners of Edrahil's mouth turn up slightly. His friend and trusted counsel's reaction made Dirnhael feel a bit stouter - he felt worthy.

"Lord Elrond," he continued, "the peace of Imladris will stay with me through my days, and a part of my heart will never leave this fair place."

Certainly, the vision of the Lady Arwen would not, though in later days, her face would blur in his dreams and become that of Ioreth, until in his slumber the two were as one - a brilliant beacon, alight from within, ever calling Dirnhael home.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Stefan

Bowing as much as is possible from the back of his pony Nain accepts the gift and puts it over his shoulder then slides his axe in.  The baldric appears to have been made using his axe as a pattern but he knew that it had never been out of his reach.  He spent a moment wondering how this could be and at the skill of the elven smiths that had accomplished it and hoped that one day he too would have the skill.

"Thank you Master elf.  I will carry it with pride.  Your hospitality to a lowly dwarf craftsman will be heard in tales under the mountains for years to come if I have anything to say about it."j

At that point Jethro rears and nearly unseats Nain.  He too, apparently, was impressed with the hospitality. 

"Grrr.  I oughtta *Bleep...Expletive deleted* turn you into glue.  I don't suppose, master elf, that you have anything to keep this crazy pony in line do you?"

Interestingly, the motion frees an apple from the packs which Jethro immediatly picks up and begins munching on with a snort and a whinney.  If one didnt know better one might even think that he were laughing.

tomcat

OOC: Very nice Stefan... the relationship between you and that horse seems like it is going to be a lot of fun to write. Keep up the great posts you guys! ;D

Wiseman

Quote from: tomcat on Mar 13, 2006, 05:54 AM
OOC: Very nice Stefan... the relationship between you and that horse seems like it is going to be a lot of fun to write. Keep up the great posts you guys! ;D

Sorry about my own lack of posting and poor quality posting of late.  With the newborn and now we're selling our house and buying a new one, been kinda hectic and such.