• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 10:26 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Wife-Geld of Aestid

Started by Eclecticon, Jan 03, 2024, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: Looks like there'll be a few families making their way south over the next year or so. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: are these riders per chance of the folk from that woman who sought Hathcyn's aid over the winter?

Also I guess we need to bluff that we know what he is talking about, but I have no clue.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Hathcyn has no clue, but fortunately he's not here by himself.  Let's see what Esgalwen knows, shall we?

:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9

Character sheet

Telcontar

Yeah I'm running out of rope here.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jan 11, 2024, 08:16 AM #19 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2024, 11:11 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Well hopefully a 16 is a success. Esgalwen hasn't had a play in this story for a while, save to swing her sword. If it is a success, Paul will have to let us know what she knows.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: I'm ready for help anytime now. :)
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Yep, sorry guys - I was called away to do house admin things and intended to get back to this before I went to bed.  Best-laid plans and all...

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Jan 11, 2024, 05:56 PM #22 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2024, 07:18 PM by Eclecticon
As Viglund and Hathcyn exchange proud words, Esgalwen thinks frantically of where this new threat may have arisen.  Surely, she thinks, the Eorlings would not think to come so far north, or to do such mischief if they did?   No, the folk of Rohan are blameless in this.  Their kinfolk though... 

She recalls from years ago the sight of a small band of mailed riders watering their horses on the far banks of the great river, and a passing comment that these were Leofringas, cousins to the Eorlings who had not followed Eorl the Young all the way to his southern land.  And how do they now come by their bright mail, here over the edge of the Wild, she wonders.  By banditry and plunder, perhaps?  Or by service to another who can reward them?

And from there, her chain of thought leads in a darker direction, from the transport of mail hauberks as a gift in hope of a new friend of Gondor, to the sight of the same armour on the shoulders of the bodyguard of King Mogdred.  Her heart beats faster as her brow furrows.  Surely not!  But whoever these riders are, they came in force through the lands of the Woodmen and this they might allow of one who was once their own. 

A cold sureness settles upon her as her thoughts reach their dreadful end.  Yes, that will be it.  The vanquishers of Viglund will have borne red circles on their shields.  And Mogdred of Tyrant's Hill now holds the Old Ford.

:ooc: Apologies to anyone who read an earlier version of this post.  I've redrafted it to make Esgawlen a lot more certain of herself, and to set up developments for coming chapters.

Character sheet

Telcontar

(Doug does Esgalwen want to interject here? Otherwise I'm going to go with the following. Our other goal was to delay these folks so any time we can buy is also a win.

Hathcyn pondered this news and this offer.

"Viglund, my duties and my roles here are mixed between our business and that of the Beornings. I must confer on this matter and the tidings you bring before I can offer an answer on behalf of myself or the Folk. We both have traveled far and overcome many trials. Shall we meet tomorrow on this matter? Were I better able to offer you hospitality I would, but what I have I will share."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"Twice betrayed and foolish is the daughter of Gondor who came with gift in hand, only to offer such to he who shows no honor - neither to father or kin." Esgalwen stared at the ground while her thoughts churned from the words of Viglund. Looking to Hathcyn, "Whom else could he speak of then Mogdred, son of Ingomer."

Esgalwen felt the stone in her stomach, heavy and sour. She had lived among his people, if but for a short time, and she thought she had seen something in the young man - maybe a kinship. He was strong, brash and handsome, and loved his people seeking only their protection. Thus had he moved her, stirred within her a desire to help him. She had spoken for him before the Steward of Gondor, pleading a case to assist him and so grow a potential ally in the north.

Instead, all she had done was enable a ruthless viper, giving him mail and arms that gave advantage over all the folk of the Vale - simple as they were in their customs and means. Now Mogdred used the tools given for the purpose of strengthening the Vale, to instead lord over it and place his boot on its neck.

What would she do now? Go back to Gondor and ask for aid again from her folk? To what? March north and seize that which was given? No, Gondor would do no such thing, seeing this a problem for the Northmen. Ruinous, too, would it be for her father's house and name.

Fury filled her heart. She had brought this on Grimbeorn, her dearest friend.

She looked to Hathcyn once more, "I will not let this be, Hathcyn. If he wishes to bring war to the Vale then he will find it. As you have called out Viglund for his wrong-doing, so, too, shall I face Mogdred. He will see my face and know what his betrayal has brought. Only by renouncing any claim, or by asserting that he has come for naught else, save to secure Grimbeorn's holdings, only then will he prove himself true. Mogdred will tell me his heart, or he will find my sword quick and vengeful."

Esgalwen spat the word and fey was the look she gave her friend.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: there is a lot to think about here and I have about five questions circling in my head as a player.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Hathcyn listened to the rangers words.

Viglund, we both have traveled far and under many ordeals. I wish to take counsel and reflect on what had been proposed. I have little with me in terms of food and drink, but I'm willing to share it with you, and then let us meet again tomorrow."

Ooc: not sure where to go from here and delaying was also one of our goals here.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jan 14, 2024, 11:35 AM #27 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2024, 04:04 PM by tomcat
The tension had not bled off, but Esgalwen now wondered if there would be conflict here. She was certain that Viglund would not relinquish his claims, but with Mogdred now on the field, Grimbeorn had even more to deal with.

Unless Mogdred has rallied his banners in aid of Beorn's son? her mind sought to escape this betrayal that filled her heart.

She spoke softly, "There is no point for swords here, Hathcyn. No more need for talk to this maker of slaves. He may hold this victory in his hand for a day, but let us be on our way back south to determine this new threat and see if Grimbeorn needs us. By the look of Viglund's forces, they have been bloodied and have no fight left in them for now. I believe the greater threat is Mogdred."

Eclecticon

Viglund waits not until Esgalwen has finished before calling out, making sure his folk hear him.  "I've no need of your fire or your meat, Longspear of the Beornings.  You have my offer, and I'll have your answer at dawn, else know that the strife between us shall go on!" 

:ooc: This ends the die-rolling part of the story (for the most part).  Hathcyn can think his answer over while we turn our attention southward...

Character sheet

Telcontar

Once the company are together again and outside the hearing of others.

"This beast is an obstinate one, I'll give him that. Such a foul and ill mannered man it would be just to cut him down, and probably safer for everyone, but I am not certain of the test or the need. Esgalwen, who is this red moon man? I have only passing knowledge of him and as I recall the folk we drove from the Stony Ford merged with his people. It appears the snakes have emerged from their hole yet again. My instinct is to accept Viglund's terms. This price seems fair, or at least the fairest in his eyes I could bargain him down to. What are your thoughts? I feel like I shall be fighting these men anyway." 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear