• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 10:34 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Missing!!

Started by tomcat, Jan 09, 2006, 10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

With a muffled yelp from behind, Seriand shot from the exit of the barrow into the bright spring sun. A more comfortable feeling immediately fell upon him, though the dread still pervaded the area. The scout turned to see Edrahil but his comrade was not there. Only the darkness of the barrow entrance looked back at him and Seriand knew that just within the shadows, a darker shadow loomed, staring out with malicious dead eyes.

The warrior immediately stood, hesitant to do anything, but knowing that his kin was trapped within. He replayed what had just happened in the tomb... the two of them had been running for the exit when Seriand was struck from his blind side.
Deadly cold was its touch!" he thought.

He heard Edrahil cant and then the weight of the shade was off of him and he watched as it hurled to the wall, across the barrow. Then he ran.

Why hadn't Edrahil followed? Was there another?

While Seriand pondered, the other four companions approached the hill and began to feel its foreboding presence. Fengel pointed and the others followed his hand to the figure that stood atop the hill... alone.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

OOC: Umm...so what is Seriand doing right now actually?  I honestly don't know what my status is?  Am I running from the barrow?  Am I knocked over by a wight?  Sorry for my confusion :(

tomcat

OOC: In Round 2 of the combat, you used your actions to Run from the Barrow. You had the highest initiative and that was fine, I went ahead and gave it to you that Seriand could run the 30' to exit the barrow. Upon exit, he turned to see if Edrahil was coming and he wasn't there, so basically you are standing outside the barrow looking at the hole.

Edrahil had the lowest initiative roll, so the other wight that had been crawling through the hole when you guys were trying to exit waylaid Edrahil's escape.

Riding up to the foot of the hill are your other companions, though you are probably not aware of them yet.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Wiseman

OOC: Gotcha, thanks.

Seriand had escaped, barely.  His body was still shivering from what he had just experienced and his first instinct was to keep running from this foul place and never return, which he would have glady done had he not felt the kinship to Edrahil.  Edrahil was basically his brother, they were decendants of the same blood and that counted more than his own life. 

Seriand took a step forward, he would go back in and find his companion, he had to.  As his foot was placed atop the first step to enter the barrow Seriand spoke aloud, although rather softly.  15 more seconds.  If he's not back in 15 seconds I'll go after him, maybe he's just slow..."  He was justifying his hesitation, giving himself a reason for not rushing back into the terrifying place.  "One...two...three..."  The countdown began as he prepared to muster up his courage and go find Edrahil.

sdrotar

"Seriand!" Dirnhael shouted, his voice loudly carrying through the unnatural stillness of the accursed Downs.
He did not see Edrahil, but the door to the mound was open - his friend and erstwhile mentor must have gone inside.
A chill ran through Dirnhael as he considered this - the thought of entering a thousand-year-old tomb and risking the wrath of a wight was not something he relished.

However, there may be a young child trapped in there and who knows what else...
He whistled to the others and they quickened their pace.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

"I wish you wouldn't yell, brother.  I fear it might anger the very ground we stand upon," says Durgil cautiously.  No matter what he's encountered in the past, this place haunts him to the very core, causing a frost to cover his heart.  "I would take the dragon once again over this accursed cold place," he says to noone but himself, drawing his sword.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

sdrotar

Jan 09, 2006, 10:33 PM #6 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2006, 10:39 PM by sdrotar
Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jan 09, 2006, 05:39 PM
"I wish you wouldn't yell, brother.  I fear it might anger the very ground we stand upon," says Durgil cautiously.  No matter what he's encountered in the past, this place haunts him to the very core, causing a frost to cover his heart.  "I would take the dragon once again over this accursed cold place," he says to noone but himself, drawing his sword.

Dirnhael patted Durgil reassuringly on the shoulder.
"Perhaps you're right," he said with a faint smile - it was the best he could muster.

The macabre landscape seemed to go on forever, and it seemed as if one could easily be lost for all eternity in the silent, rolling hills... and then the chill wind began to howl over the burial mounds with a voice so unearthly that it nearly froze Dirnhael's blood.

He drew Ioreth's cloak close about his shoulders, but the vision of her raven hair was lost among the endless barrows.
He had to find Edrahil, and quickly.

tomcat

Jan 10, 2006, 05:01 AM #7 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006, 10:38 AM by tomcat
Seriand heard his name called out by Dirnhael and watched on in anticipation as his comrades mounted the hill on foot, their fearful horses left to huddle between the barrow hills below. The Elf quickly cast glances back to the dark hole before him and part of him was comforted to know that he would not have to enter the crypt alone. As he peered into the darkness, he was sure that he could see a faint glow of light - perhaps Edrahil's arcane spell still illuminating his hand?

The four Men and Nain the Dwarf finally crested the hill and walked up with questioning eyes. It was then that Seriand noticed the roguish fellow that stood amongst his travel companions.

OOC: What's the plan?

I am going to give this... if Seriand is willing to go into the crypt, he will be returned 2 Courage points for forcing himself to carry forward. If anyone uses the Power of Words or gives me some enheartening Soliloquys, things will go better for Fear tests. Thanks
;D

Wiseman

Jan 10, 2006, 10:49 AM #8 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006, 11:02 AM by tomcat
"Edrahil is still within..."  His weak voice trailed off but after taking a deep breath and looking to his new comrades, reinforcements that he desperately needed for his own sanity, he was able to return a slight bit of strenght to himself.

Gripping the sword, again almost unconsciously, he spoked yet again.  "I cannot leave hiim inside, follow me or not we have to save him from those....things."  Seriand hoped beyond hope that the others would follow him. He placed his foot at the entrance to the barrow and with a great sigh took a step in, then another.  It seemed like an hour later that he found himself deep within the tomb straining to see the light that he hoped was coming from Edrahil.

His eyes darted around, he was unsure if he would be able to withstand the wights again but he had to.

ACTION: Return to the tomb, look for Edrahil

Obersve (Spot): Roll(2d6)+10: 5,6,+10 Total:21

tomcat

Jan 11, 2006, 11:16 AM #9 Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006, 11:19 AM by tomcat
OOC: First, I wanted to let you know that I corrected your post because you mentioned stairs into the barrow. There are no stairs - it is a straight tunnel back (30') into the crypt. See the map below.

Second, if you guys are really planning on entering this tomb without a light source, I can only promise you one thing... I can't be sympathetic. Work out a plan... you guys now have Edrahil's life at stake as well as the little girls.

Tomcat

Wiseman

OOC: Thought that faint light was still going on?  I didn't see that it had gone out yet.

sdrotar

OOC: Okay, who brought their lighters? ;)

In all seriousness, what options do we have? Did they carry around matches in Middle-Earth?
We don't have any open flames... guess we could try rubbing two sticks together or something...

Dirnhael grabbed Seriand quickly. The Elf was brave, but to step into the blackness of the tomb was foolhardy.
He pointed to the others.
"Grab some tree branches, and wrap them in cloth. Tear it off your clothes if you must - we will need torches."

He grabbed two stout sticks that were on the ground nearby and proceeded to set a fire.

Survival (Field) +7
Roll(2d6)+7: 4,1,+7 Total:12

Wiseman

Seriand jumped as he was grabbed by Dirnhael, the last thing that his heart needed was to be startled like this!

Turning around Seriend started to bring his weapon up to bear on the beast that was attacking his shoulder! (Dirnhael!)  As his eyes came around, faster than the weapon was brought to bear he met with the steel eyes of Dirnhael and immediately felt a calm come over him.  Seriand dropped his weapon and looked to the others.  "I'm sorry, I couldn't face them...Edrahil...inside."  That was about all that the elven scout could muster.

tomcat

Quote from: sdrotar on Jan 11, 2006, 02:09 PM
OOC: Okay, who brought their lighters? ;)

In all seriousness, what options do we have? Did they carry around matches in Middle-Earth?
We don't have any open flames... guess we could try rubbing two sticks together or something...

OOC: Hey Shawn, two suggested methods of making fire (besides rubbing sticks together) would be an ember kept in a Tinder box, the second Flint and Steel. Dwarves are well-known for their skill at making fire, and no good Dwarf would leave his home without one or the other.

Finally, yes you can rub sticks but that will take a while and sunlight is at a premium here. Let's assume that Nain is packing a starter and the only thing you all will need is to collect the branches.

This being said, you guys can give me some insight as to how you would 'gear up' your characters - i.e. backpack, bedroll, waterskin, small hammer, metal spikes, flint and steel, etc.

Shawn (Wiseman) - there is a faint glow coming from deep within the barrow, but do you want to count on it? That is the only reason I asked if you guys were going in with no light.

Palandil

OOC: Are there any tree's on the Barrow Downs?  If not how far away is the tree line?  Actually wouldn't Nain have torches in his pack.  He is a Dwarf after all. :<)