• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 02:59 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Living and the Dead

Started by tomcat, Oct 12, 2017, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Light was required as they entered the great hall that constituted a better part of the keep. Though the early evening gray still shone outside the ancient windows, it was not enough to illuminate the interior.

Torches were quickly fashioned and lit and the companions marveled at the sight. Tapestries and tabards still hung from the walls, though they were torn, rotten and mildewed. Some had been defaced, or pulled from the walls and left to rot on the floor. It was plain to the heroes that none were of Dwarf make, or any house - they had to have been hung by orcs, some bandit-king, or the corrupted Men of Mikrwood.

They searched about but naught could be seen within the chamber.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Ooh, shiny!  I vote we call dibs on this place and get filthy rich when we sell it back to the King Under the Mountain. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Morirúsë inspected the stonework of the keep and touching the wall examined the gateway and hall for any other signs of habitation.

Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Rolled 4d6 : 2, 5, 6, 5, total 18
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

The smell heavy in the air, even though the hall sat high atop the hill. Still the trees surrounding it subdued any winds that might blow through the broken windows.

The Noldo scanned the room and moved about with apparent reason. Occasionally he nodded as he looked at the floor, or a door, or any of the tables that were still upright.

Though it was certain that the Beacon Hall was not housing a large garrison of any folk, it was evident that someone resided here.

:ooc: I am going to leave this here for the moment. I am heading home from the office and once there, I am working on a layout for Beacon Tower.

I'll have more up tonight.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The companions finished searching the main hall of the Beacon Tower keep and moved into an antechamber. It must have once been storage, or a prep area for the main hall, but now it was dilapidated and moss and fern covered most of its walls and floor. Its wall was compromised, too, and a hole revealed an outer courtyard - also grown over with dense foliage. The forest was reclaiming what was once its own.

From the courtyard came a soft, green glow that illuminated the confines of old stonework and new trees.

Esgalwen moved from the antechamber to a doorway, though no door remained in the frame. She stepped out into the courtyard and was clear to see in the light, as she walked through the thick fern that carpeted the forest floor. It was cold and her breath was visible in the night chill. Behind her, the other companions followed.

The Dúnadan woman came at last to the center of the courtyard and she reached down. In her hand now was a green gem the size of a fruit, and from it came the glow. Esgalwen's eyes shone brightly, and her face was alight. Arbogast came to her and she said, "It is beautiful! Do you think it a treasure left here by the Dwarves?"

It was then that Morirúsë spoke out quickly, "Caution! Ware the guardians of this place!"

Both Grimbeorn and the Noldo drew their weapons, while the man and woman looked up from the stone and saw figures moving in from the three sides of the broken courtyard. They shuffled in their gait and they, too, seemed to glow with an eerie light. Morirúsë was certain that these were the same folk who had marched before them on the road. In their hands were spears, though the rest of their accouterments were old and ragged. There was a total of four of these strange men, and though they gave no challenge, their intent was plain - their weapons were raised to strike.

Dropping the gemstone, Esgalwen tore Nimronyn from its scabbard and prepared to meet any attack that would come her way. Beside her, Arbogast did the same pulling forward his shield and hefting his axe.

The figures continued to encircle the company, drawing in tighter as they did. The heroes could now all see that their faces were pale and dead eyes stared out from under their hoods.

"STOP!" Came a sudden cry from a broken arched wall that led further into the fortress yard. "What have you brought for me?" the inquiry was directed at the companions and the speaker hissed in a sort of glee.

Grimbeorn turned to see a shadow standing in the arch, holding a staff. It was not as tall as a man, but taller than a Dwarf. The individual stepped forward into the light revealing an old, haggard, man...or was it a woman?

Eclecticon

Arbogast grips the handle of the Warden's Axe and holds it as steady as he may, but already he can feel the tremor beginning in his hands, and he knows that he has precious little strength left with which to fight a battle.  Hoping it does not show, and that the fear he feels is not evident in his voice, he responds: "we bring little, for we have wandered many ways, and are far afield from where we thought ourselves to be on this eve."  He spares a moment from watching the strange Men to gaze about in awe that is only half-feigned.  "Magnificent is your hall," he says.  "Would that steel could be sheathed, that we could properly seek your hospitality." 

:ooc: The longer we can keep this person (?) talking, I think, the better!  If you need it, Doug, I'll make a Riddle roll to kick off an Encounter. 

:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 1, 4, total 6

In the meantime, does my Shadow Lore or Old Lore tell me anything about the Glowing Men?  I'm guessing that they aren't anything that Mirkwood Lore would cover - I seem to have been way off base thinking that these guys were wild Men of Mirkwood!

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Stupid bastard dice. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Paul - yes and yes... on both of your lore traits.

Arbogast has heard legends of the dead walking where old ruins are found. These legends mostly speak of the north-lands around Angmar and across the Misty Mountains where lies the ruins of Arnor.

The legend speaks of the dead rising to the command of the Fallen Kings, they themselves who are slave to the Great Evil. These crooked abominations haunt ruins and other locations where the Shadow holds sway.

QuoteIn player terms, what this means (and understand your characters are limited to what they understand):

It is said that many who died in the wars against Angmar, and other realms ruled by the Shadow, fell victim to the Black Shadow, a terrible illness spread by the Nazgûl. But many others did not perish, and were slowly consumed by it instead. Condemned to a perpetual anguish by the sorcery of the Ringwraiths, they are still today their slaves, pale reflections of their dark masters, always intent at spreading darkness and corruption at their command.

Fell Wraiths appear as crooked wanderers, roaming among ancient ruins and the sites of forgotten battles. They are generally wrapped in cloaks to hide their spectral features; their flesh is almost transparent, and their eyes seem to glow like embers. If encountered in the hours of twilight, they may pass as Men, as they can speak, even if with an unusual hissing voice and strange accents. Fell Wraiths carry old weapons and battered shields, relics from an age of strife they employ to deadly effectiveness.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: are there wisdom or valour tests or whatever against these creatures for fear effects?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Matt, you only need to roll a valour test if these creatures exert that power on you.

So not yet... (-D

tomcat

"Ho, ho!" cackled the elder. "But certainly you are the prize! Welcome to my home - you will be here for a while."

The small man, or woman, pointed to the company and gave orders to the fell warriors that stood near.

"Unarm them and see them to the cells...at least until I decide what it is I will do with my new pets." And then he spoke to Arbogast, "And do not try to stave off your fate...these dead warriors will do as I say, and they will kill you before they let you leave."

Esgalwen gripper her sword tighter as the dead men began to converge, all the while she looked to her companions to see their resolve. As for her, she would not be taken!

Telcontar

Morirúsë placed his hand upon the hilt of the sword at his side and reached for the elven lamp. In a moment the light blazed forth in his hand ignoring the risk of summoning the werewolf. The wholesome light of the lantern contrasted with the sickly tempting glow of the green gem.

"Creature of the shadow, no gifts shall you receive by our hands. Begone or be cast beyond the circles of the world." 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"NO! NO! NO!" yelled the small crone, "You won't be using any Elven tricks around here!"

The cloaked figure raised its staff and a terrible incantation was muttered - Darkas avhan darkneukuk.

The heroes felt a chill creep down their spine at the utterance of the Black Speech. The now brightly shining courtyard was suddenly wrapped by a terrible darkness that crept inwards towards the Noldo, and his Elven lamp.

:ooc: All right - the bad guy expends 1 :@:

All heroes need to make a Wisdom test TN 16 to not be ensorcelled. I am granting 1 bonus success die to each of your rolls for the effects of the Elven Lamp's light.

TN 16 wisdom by PC +1d
:00: Arbogast 4d 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 5d6 : 3, 4, 2, 6, 1, total 16

:00: Esgalwen 4d 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 5d6 : 6, 2, 5, 4, 1, total 18

:00: Grimbeorn 5d 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 6d6 : 2, 3, 2, 5, 4, 4, total 20

:00: Morirúsë 2d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 5, total 11

I will say...if Morirúsë fails at the above roll, the Lamp's light will falter.

Here we go....

tomcat

:ooc: RESULTS

• Arbogast has a great success

• Esgalwen has a great success

• Grimbeorn has a success

• Morirúsë has a :g: success