• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 02:40 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Light and Darkness

Started by tomcat, May 03, 2017, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc:  That fight was delightfully perfunctory. :)
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Arbogast's gaze takes in the lone and empty hills about the company.  Grimbeorn and Rorin stand over the ruined and cooling bodies of two orcs, and Essylt warily watches from the rear.  He does not find Bandy, but assumes that the Hobbit is nearby. 

"Sore already have we hurt them, my friends.  Surely they will have marked the disappearance of so many.  Fear will now be our ally, rather than theirs."  He raises the severed orc-head.  "Let us keep our foes in its thrall as long as we may." 

:ooc: We may be able to bluff our way through the rest of this encounter without the need for further bloodshed, but we'll need a decent Awe skill to pull it off.  What I'm thinking is that we have Grimbeorn call out to them from the darkness, while Bandy sneaks behind them with the head - he can roll it into their camp if they seem less than receptive to our opening arguments. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I have kind of been waiting to see if you guys would post a formulated plan on the last attack, but Paul is the only one chiming in.

I am going to post tomorrow and build on your thoughts in my narrative, Paul.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Qui tacet concenti videtur! 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Grimbeorn isn't much for the planning especially if it has to with eliminating orcs.
 To him there is only one way to deal with them.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

May 12, 2017, 05:48 AM #20 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:48 PM by Telcontar
 :ooc: Bandy's plan was to sneak in and free the Elf from the stake. Do we have any idea on how many there are?

I think a great warrior like Arbogast hurling the head like a discus would have more impact than rolling the head in. I too think killing as many of them as possible is always good. I'm pretty Son of Feanor when it comes to Orcs.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

:ooc: also, Rorin is a bad ass.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Agreed.  Arbogast only has a Body of 2, so he's not going to be that impressive a thrower.  On the other hand, he's already carrying the head.  So I'm fine with being the head-tosser if need be. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: doug can we get an idea of the main camp and layout
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: I am putting together my next post and will have all that stuff up for you guys. I would say it will be tonight, but I don't want to let you guys down so go with tomorrow for sure.

If something happens, though, and I get it all done tonight...well then cool!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Tom, there's a nice tactical map at the end of 'The Search - Part 5'.  It's not quite up to date, since we've done in many of the enemies that appear on it, but it's there.

Character sheet

tomcat

The companions moved through the dark with only the clump of their boots to note their passing. The hill that was their objective loomed before them, its crown haloed by the light from the orc camp's fire. There were cruel voices barking out and echoing between the hills, but nothing moved in the shadows.

Grimbeorn led Arbogast and Rorin up the hill, the Fire-watcher clutching the head of Shûkrag. They climbed it at angles, switching back and forth, that allowed quick ascent but was easier for the wounded Beorning. Once more they attained the summit and looked down upon the encampment. What was once an organized group of enemy soldiers was now a cluster of bickering goblins.

The companions watched as a small group of the creatures wrestled and fought one another, biting and slashing with bent blades and clawed hands. Another group barked out their strange words as they stood before Ruithel, apparently not knowing what to do with the Elf. All the while, it appeared as if the She-elf egged on their contempt and disarray.

Arbogast peered out into the night that cloaked the outer edges of the small valley and wondered where their diminutive companion had gone.

tomcat

Bandy moved from shadow to shadow and entered the valley. The goblins were scattered about, but all were engaged in arguments between themselves. His goal was the stake in the center of the camp. If he could cut the bindings, Ruithel would be free and they all could make their escape.

Surely these craven goblins would fear them and give no pursuit. If Arbogast was to throw the head of their leader into their midst, he was confident that they would break and flee into the night. The Hobbit made no sound as he moved, and skillfully found places of concealment. She was there...before him. If the goblins would only take their fight somewhere else!

Eclecticon

On the crest of the hill, Arbogast looks to Grimbeorn and Rorin.  All three are bloody and tired, but the end of their long hunt is at last well within reach. 

Drawing deep on what reserves of strength remain, the Fire-watcher draws back his arm.  Then, with a twist of his body he casts the head as far as he can into the mob of goblins. 

:ooc: I'm guessing this will be an Athletics roll, which doesn't bode especially well. 

:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9

Character sheet

Telcontar

The Halfling picked his way forward, and though he was beset on all sides he also knew that, save Rorin, his friends already bore the marks of several battles. He hoped to snatch victory from the night terrors without further harm to his friends. The Elf seemed to be the key to the whole affair and hopefully her freedom would turn the tables in their favor.

Bandy moved silently through the tall grass towards the stake. The spring smell of the heather reminded him of the far away North Farthing. The skills at being quiet and unseen the Hobbit had learned as a child were not put to a more life threatening application. He was prepared to suffer and inflict great violence to see the elf free. The darkness also aided the Hobbit and he was soon by the stake, blade sawing at the thongs that bound her feet.

The Hobbit whispered, "I am Bandy the Hobbit, we have come to rescue you."

The ropes unwrapped a bit as the Hobbit cut.

"I have a bow and a sword, if I free you do you think you can make a run for it?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear