• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Jun 29, 2024, 11:42 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - A time to choose

Started by tomcat, Jan 23, 2017, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jan 23, 2017, 12:51 PM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 12:55 PM by tomcat

The Company gathered their things and followed Gandalf from Thranduil's Hall. They walked the labyrinth of tunnels until they came at last to the gates. The doors were open, as they were every day that the king ruled it so, and there was an Elven guard in fine armor of silver and gold leaf. The sentries did not speak a word in challenge to the wizard and those that followed along, instead staring silently out into the woods beyond.

"We go out for a breath of air and a walk under the boughs of the forest, while we make counsel," said Gandalf, although the guards did not seem interested.

They crossed the bridge and into the forest, walking for a while in silence. The wind moved through the boughs with a rushing sound and birds tweeted in the leaves. They came into a clearing, like a bowl of green grass that sunk lower than the wood around. Blue sky was overhead and the Company felt good once more to be back out from under the earth - at least those that spent the better part of their lives there. Gandalf walked to the center of the clearing and turned to face the companions.

Across the clearing, a man stood. He held two horses by their reins, as if waiting. He was tall and wore clothes of ruddy colors that matched well with the foliage around him. His hair was black. He looked young, in the prime of his youth, but it was hard to say from the distance. No matter, there was no bend to his back though his clothes looked as if they had seen the miles. There was a handsome appeal to him and Esgalwen looked at him in wonder. Her attention was suddenly drawn back to the company, as Gandalf spoke.

"Well, that went as planned!" He smiled happily. "You have made good marks with the King of the Woodland Realm. That will serve well all of your folk. Now you are to be off again. Where shall you go?"

"I return to Erebor." The voice was Bofri and there was excitement contained. "With the Roadwarden's Staff, I will present it before Dain and surely he will provide a company of Dwarves to return with me to the Dwarf Road. With their aid, I will have the road in working order once more in no time! Three seasons in the short-term. It will become the avenue of merchants again and Mirkwood shall have a central safe passage, once more!"

"Good! Good!" said Gandalf. There was a twinkle in his eyes and his mirth seemed to have a knowing that was unrevealed. "Surely this passage will assist in uniting the whole of Mirkwood in times of need."

"Of course it shall," beamed Bofri. "Merchants from Erebor and Dale, Dorwinion, and further shall bring wares to people who in turn will be able to send their own crafts abroad. It shall be a spectacle not seen in many years of this forest. I owe it all to you, too, my friends! I release you from your contract. You have aided me in more ways than you could know. The finding of the staff. The diminishing of the spiders strength in central Mirkwood - what boons! And know this, should any of you wish to return and aid me in the reparations of the road, know that we will maintain the same agreements as originally presented and that you, too, shall share in the wealth that occurs."

Gandalf looked to the others, "What of the rest of you? I understand it was your intention to return home, Grimbeorn? With your friends? To see what is going on with the Viglundings and your father's realm? Will you all still return there? Would the acceptance of Thranduil's request be in order? Do not let me lead you, but I believe that to take on his errand would serve you in more ways than one."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast muses out loud.  "They have had somewhere close to a fortnight.  If the orcs who took this elf-maid have kept their path, then they have likely already left the forest, or are about to.  I suspect that their destination and ours are the same, though we had meant to come with a greater company at our backs.  Perhaps we could spy out the lands of the Viglundings, and possibly effect a rescue, before we turn south to Grimbeorn's home?" 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn contemplated the words of the elf-king and the Wizard.  "Arbogast and I are the same mind and strategy.  My oath of service given to Thranduil without, they are orcs, I will give pursuit nonetheless.  They will come to my father's lands soon enough and their mere sight let alone crossing is but stain upon them.  My concern likewise how might we catch them with such a lead in this foot race."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

This time Bandy showed wisdom in restraint. He said nothing, but nodded in agreement at his friends words.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jan 23, 2017, 06:35 PM #4 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 04:01 AM by tomcat
Gandalf stroked at his beard in thought, "I do not believe distance is the biggest concern you face. Nor do I believe that greater numbers, Arbogast, will serve you in this - there is more that you all need to know.

"Grimbeorn, your father has become aware that the Viglundings have been taking slaves from raids. He had learned, too, that they also have made dealings with orcs. What he doesn't know and needs discovered is what is being done with the slaves. There is stirrings in the north, not just Mount Gundabad, but further north where the chain becomes the Mountains of Angmar."

Gandalf let them register his words. "Friends of mine in the lands of old Arnor have been watching that realm for years. We beleive that slaves out of the northern region of the Anduin Vale are being gathered and then moved to Angmar. If it is happening, it is mostly with the aid of the orcs of Gundabad.

"I must say...this is the true reason I have brought you north. Grimbeorn think, Sauron has revealed himself in Mordor once more. He has sent his agents from there back north into the wood...back to Dol Guldur. It is possible, too, that he has sent his servants to that ancient northern realm, as well. What better need for slaves than to rebuild that haunted place. If we are correct, he is positioning his forces across Rhovanion and Eriador. No region would be safe if the Dark Lord moved.

"Go north, all of you. See if there is evidence that slaves are being gathered and sent to Angmar. Also, save Ruithel for Thranduil. Not only will you gather information that will be valuable to us, but will secure an alliance between Man and the Elves of the Woodland Realm."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast shudders at the mention of Angmar, but nods. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

"You leave us with more questions than answers.  We came this far only to go further north?  And what of your friends?  Can they not aid you in that endeavor?" Grimbeorn became frustrated and begins pacing. And if we do go, we have no steeds or other means to reach this band of orcs in time, so how would we get to elf-woman in time?  Why would they capture her instead of kill her? Are they not mortal enemies?"  He pauses a moment as if overwhelmed with his thoughts.  "What of my lands and people?  What of theirs?" He asks almost to himself, motioning absently to his companions.  "We have obligations elsewhere that need tending as well!"
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Bandy looked at the ground and spoke.

"We have offered our service, to retract it now once the request has been asked would be poor form. We may not need to travel to the land itself to discover what the Wizard seeks. Perhaps overcoming the Orcs and their party will give us the answers we need and not take us so far from your father's land Grimbeorn. If we strike the great river along any point it would swiftly take us to the crossing of your people would it not?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Gandalf shook his head at Grimbeorn's comment, "Do not misunderstand me - you need only go to that place that was your intent. Go to the East Upper Vales and see what Viglund is conspiring. See if there is evidence that slaves are being taken further north. As for my friends, they are aiding us even as we meet here. They are a sturdy folk, but they are few and though ever watchful, the Enemy still moves at times unseen."

He beckoned to the silent man that still stood in the treeline, a ways away. The man came with a parcel. Gandalf took the item and opened the bound leather pouch. "These are gifts of the Elves - not of the Wood, but of the Lady. Take them and use them in good manner. They will keep you well over long trails."

The wizard handed them a small flask, "This is Miruvor. Take only small drafts as needed, and it will return strength to body." Then he handed them five leaf wrapped packages, "And this is Elven waybread - it will be food enough when you do not have other resources. They are simple gifts, but of the utmost value."

GandalfOfBorg

It took a moment but Grimbeorn calmed, acquiescing to the counsel of Gandalf.  Taking the gifts given, he sniffed at the leaf-wrapped cakes.  "Not unlike father's recipe," he thought and gave a grunt of approval.  "Do we eat the leaves too?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

disench4nted

Rorin turned the questionable rations over in his hand and raised his head at Grimbeorn's question. "I do not know, but it would not surprise me. This...bread may be food enough for the likes of the elves. But it surely will not placate MY hunger. Could they not spare us some salted meat?"

"As for our service to the elf-throne, I will say this. If there be orcs that need hunting, I'll be the first in line, whether the elves are involved or not."

Eclecticon

Rorin's humour raises the Fire-watcher's spirits somewhat.  "Ah, my friend, there will be plenty of meat on the hoof as we cross the forest.  All you need do is catch it!" 

Character sheet

disench4nted

Jan 24, 2017, 06:38 PM #12 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 06:40 PM by disench4nted
Rorin glanced down at his short legs, then back to his Woodman friend...then back to his legs, then to his hammer.

"Do I seem equipped to catch a woodland creature to you Arbogast? No, I must rely on your keen eye and Bandy's pinpoint accuracy to bring in the sustenance this growing dwarf needs."

He laughed heartily, feeling ever better now that he was out from under the oppressive weight of the Elf kingdom and with a chance to hunt orcs growing ever nearer. In his laughter he clapped Arbogast on the shoulder and slapped Bandy on the back...possibly a bit too hard for the poor hobbit.

GandalfOfBorg

"Beyond a nearby area about the halls of Thranduil, I'm afraid what may be found in this wood is not wholesome to eat be it food or drink.  Are we able to fill some skins before we leave, Gandalf?  Will we have a guide from this place and set us on the right trail?"
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jan 25, 2017, 10:21 AM #14 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2017, 10:25 AM by tomcat
"Of course you may have supplies, Grimbeorn. Thranduil will not cast you out his doors on an errand of his request and not properly provide you with rations. Already I have provided gifts that many a traveler would feel blessed, if not honored, to be given. As for a guide...do you need one? Did you yourself not traverse the miles afoot to come before the king and deliver word of Orophin?"

The old wizard did not wait for an answer, "Take the Elf Path west. I suggest you follow the Forest River north and pick up the trail of the raiders. It was a large company, I understand, so certainly they would have left markings of their passage. The point was raised, well they are at least a fortnight gone - yes, they are! So we have much to do and little time to get it done. Is Ruithel dead? I cannot say, but trust to hope." Gandalf's eyes blazed with a light. "Trust to hope," he repeated.

Esgalwen stood there listening, but her eyes at times would move to the silent man behind the wizard. He was young. He was handsome, but rugged in his appearance. She felt a kinship with him that reached beyond that of being human, or travelers. No it was something more and in her heart, she knew that the man before her hid something. Esgalwen did not know why, but she knew this man was more than he revealed. Again she took measure of him - his leather boots were caked with mud; his trousers soiled and patched from tears - his tunic the same; the cloak that he wore was colored to favor the wood, as she and her folk wore in Ithilien, and his hood was up to shadow his features. Lastly, he was girted with longsword of good make - thus he was not a man of little means.

"Will you take on this task, Lady Esgalwen?"

"Eh?" the Dúnadan woman was pulled from her thoughts to the sound of Gandalf's question, "Will I...? Master Gandalf, I will take on this task if it is the will of the Company. But as a member of this Company, I deem it our duty and speak it thus. If the Elf-maiden is found, all the better, but to find that the Dark Lord has machinations at work to the north in an attempt to re-establish Angmar? I see no other course than to investigate."

Gandalf smiled at her and then looked to the rest, "Again I say, trust to hope! Follow the Forest River. Keep it always on your right and keep moving." There was an emphasis in his voice, if not an urgency.