• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 10:36 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 4 - A Broken Road

Started by tomcat, Sep 20, 2016, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Arbogast holds his hand up in a peaceable gesture.  "Though many around here might savour the chance to even an old score, you'll have no trouble from us.  We each have enemies enough in these woods, I think, without going out of our way to seek more.  But I would hear more of the red moon raiders, for this past year they have troubled my home mightily.  Have you time to share a little bread and ale?" 

He dismounts as the two travellers cautiously approach.  To Esgalwen, he quickly says "the Men of the red moon joined together with orcs to raid us last year, though I saw them not as I was already underway with our company.  Perhaps the Enemy seeks to emulate here a strategy that has borne fruit in the south?" 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

At first the two were apprehensive but then Deylith nodded, "Aye, we will share your bread and ale."

The group looked about for a comfortable clearing on the forest floor that was not muddy, or wet from melted snow. They came upon a large stone that projected up out of the ground and was relatively flat on its top. Esgalwen pulled her saddlebag from the flank of her horse and opened it revealing the contents within. A loaf of dark bread, cured meat, and two skins - one was filled with water, while the other was wine. The Black Tarn had bunches of wild-berry bushes that grew around its shores and the people there had become excellent vintners of the juices.

She tore the loaf in half and handed it to Degath, who in turn separated a large piece for his sister. Arbogast tied the horses off to a tree branch and joined the other three. The conversation was a struggle at first, as the Tyrant's Hill-folk were still unsure how to take the Fire-watcher, but soon food and drink cleared the air - many things can be achieved over a table.

"They come from out of the south...but not by way of Sorcerer's Hill." Deylith's hushed her words at the mention of Dol Guldur. "At least, we do not believe it to be so. They skirt Tyrant's Hill to either east or west, not giving us trouble. Mogdred will not abide orc's crossing his lands and so we engage them when possible. These hunting parties come north and assault travelers."

"As Arbogast said, t'was a year past that they attacked the Black Tarn in numbers," said Esgalwen.

"Yes...we sent aid from the south in the form of arms and defense only to be scorned by Amaleoda."

Arbogast felt his ire rise at the thought of the aid offered by Mogdred, which came at a price of coin and provisions.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Oct 09, 2016, 07:58 PM #17 Last Edit: Oct 09, 2016, 08:01 PM by Eclecticon
Aid which is withheld until tribute is paid is no aid at all, Arbogast thinks to himself.  But he holds his tongue, and rather than speak his mind openly he asks 'We visited Tyrant's Hill some years ago, but I do not remember seeing you there.  Are you newly come to Mogdred's folk?"

:ooc: Doug, I imagine you would've said already if Amaleoda had mentioned any offer from Tyrant's Hill, but just in case - has she made any announcements about it?  Have other people at the Tarn commented on it? 

I'm just wondering if Mogdred is spinning stories for his own people. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Oct 09, 2016, 07:58 PM:ooc: Doug, I imagine you would've said already if Amaleoda had mentioned any offer from Tyrant's Hill, but just in case - has she made any announcements about it?  Have other people at the Tarn commented on it? 

I'm just wondering if Mogdred is spinning stories for his own people. 

:ooc:  Hey Paul, yea - I have been looking for it in the narrative, but early in our story, after the attack on Black Tarn, I wrote somewhere that Tyrant's Hillmen came to offer aid. I will find it and post a link to the particular post.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Oct 10, 2016, 02:03 PM #19 Last Edit: Oct 10, 2016, 02:05 PM by Telcontar
OOC: I believe both opinions of offered aid and extortion are reasonable and can be implied depending on ones point of view through what had occured on scene and in narrative.

Also, Bandy was already in the house with Bofri. I got nothing to go with right now other than listening to the dwarves discuss
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: No need for references - I'm happy to trust you. 

Arbogast is less happy to trust the Tyrant's Hill-men, as he has personally felt the effects of their ill-will, but he's certainly not looking to fight anyone. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Tom, I was going with the idea that some time had passed, which allowed Bandy to meet with the elder.

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Oct 12, 2016, 09:08 AM #23 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2016, 09:10 AM by tomcat
"No, we are not new to Tyrant's Hill, and nor do we remember your visit - but we have seen the Lady in her visits." The Tyrant's Hillman gives a smile.

Esgalwen took that as an opportunity to speak, "Then the weapons and armor are serving well? That which came from Gondor?"

"Yes, mum," answered Deylith. "Our enemies have found our steel cold and strong, and flee now before us."

The Dúnadan gave a look to Arbogast and then back to the two wood-folk, "That is good. Strength on the forest's southern flanks serves all the folk of the vale."

"Only if we have the support of our northern and western neighbors instead of treachery!" Degath became a bit heated. "T'was Mogdred's own father that excluded us from being counted among the Wood-men, and I would stake my life that Vidugalum, Lord of the Toft, is at the heart of the Blood-moon raiders!"

"Hush, Degath! We won't speak accusations! To spread untruths is no better than Ingomer and the folk of Woodland Hall."

"Yes, sister, and though we were cast out from the clans, I do not see them raiding our folk! I do not see them allying with orcs. We were young, but I still remember our father speaking of his bowing to Dol Guldur...his desire for power. It was the death of him, lest ye forget."

"I forget nothing," said the woman, trying to calm her brother.

Deylith suddenly stood, gathering her pack up as she did. "If you wish to spread warning, know that the Blood-moon raiders were this far north as of six days ago, when we lost them at the river. We do not know which direction they went. The forest is well at hiding those that pass under its boughs. Come Degath, we have many miles ahead of us."

tomcat

Oct 12, 2016, 10:25 AM #24 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2016, 04:07 PM by tomcat
Grimbeorn had spent a few more days at the Carrock with his father, before he told him goodbye again. The older bear protested a bit, as the challenges with Viglund were real and Beorn needed the strength of his son, but finally acquiesced.

"Know that there will be more bloodshed here, Grimbeorn, and it might be your own people that bleed. Do not be away long. They need you, as much as I."

Grimbeorn began once more to argue his own points, but his father interrupted. "I will not tolerate the Eastmark to attack our people any more! I will not tolerate my folk being taken as slaves! The Viglundings are becoming to bold in their actions and it must be ended soon. You must be part of that if you are to lead our people! If you are to have their respect and loyalty. Believe what you will, but know that we are a people of the bear - strength and commitment are the only things that bind us. Go back to Rhosgobel, if you must...to these friends. But perhaps you can speak with them and they can return to the Carrock, with you, and thus you can show the Beornings that your efforts to make allies is not for naught."

The younger man tried to explain once more to his father, but Beorn had become sullen and quiet, and would hear no more.

It was eleven days later, on the 14th of March, that Grimbeorn walked once more into the familiar surroundings of Rhosgobel.

Eclecticon

"Before you go," Arbogast says, "know this: that the Axe-Breaker denied your people nothing, but instead welcomed the return of his son with tears of joy.  Your people's count among the houses of the Woodmen was the decision of a free vote of the folk-moot.  Mogdred failed to convince them of the merit of your claim - as did I.  For I spoke years ago of the need for unity among our people, and of the desire in our hearts not to forsake those taken in days past by Dol Guldur.  Your house and mine are of one people, and we shall - we must! - stand together before the true Enemy." 

Hoping that it is momentary indecision that he sees on the faces of Degath and Deylith, he continues.  "I understand your desire to be on your way, but have you a few minutes more to tell me of Vidugalum and the Toft?  For though I know these woods as well as any Man living, I confess to having little knowledge of what lies beyond them." 

:ooc: No need to do an IC reply unless there's a particular slant you want to come from these characters - I read the relevant entry in the Heart of the Wild long before this game started.  I'll make a Persuade roll to see how much Arbogast can convince them to share information:

:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 3, total 13

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Looks like they had a decent enough conversation.  Shall we pick up with Arbogast and Esgalwen arriving at Rhosgobel?

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn had trudged the path that he has walked a number of times now, both there and back again, and this time it was "there."  He thoughts kept his mood dark and grim, moreso than even his namesake belies.  His father was right with respect to Viglund's folk but they all had a responsibility to stand against the darkness that has been spreading once again and with more fervor.  Maybe he could convince his cohorts of his people's need of strong arms and keen blades, yet at the back of his mind a voice insinuated itself.  It was a voice from far off memory of a old man giving counsel and pipesmoke, calling for a chance at peace. "Hmph," he harrumphed to himself on that lonely road and he shook his head.  Oddly enough that voice responded, "That's your father talking.  What does your heart say?"  It was those words that were on his mind as he walked into Rhosgobel, not seeing the usual din but a more subdued feeling from the people.  The winter had apparently not been as kind as here as he'd hoped.  Like always upon entering, he made his way to Radagast's home to see what news he could find from the wizard.  Like all who've come of late, he didn't find him and so went to look in on Bandy and Rorin.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Oct 14, 2016, 08:39 AM #28 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 08:43 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Eclecticon on Oct 12, 2016, 08:58 PM:ooc: Looks like they had a decent enough conversation.  Shall we pick up with Arbogast and Esgalwen arriving at Rhosgobel?

:ooc: Yep, works for me.

Haven't heard from Steve since the 7th, so we'll see where this goes.

March was in its third week when at last all of the companions were once more together. They had taken a table in the main hall - a large board, really, that allowed the group to sit about it on the floor, which was a custom of the Woodmen. They shared a large jug of honey amber ale that was brewed within Rhosgobel and spoke of their winter season. Arbogast was given the greatest interest in his stories of the twins and how his wife fared. But at last the conversation turned to more serious matters and what might be done about them.

Telcontar

The Halfling sat upon a pillow to be even with the board and blew smoke rings. He had some of the good tobacco left, but he also had discovered a more immediate source to keep his stock of the leaf full.

"So, here we are assembled again and ready to embark on this seasons great struggle. Several weeks ago I sent a message to Ingomer to hold another folkmoot, but as we have heard no word in return I doubt that this will happen, and if it is not this year it may never be again or if not for some time. As I see it we have been given a charge by the wise to hold back the shadow and to try and keep the folk of the wood united. To that end I see several choices here before us.

1. We address the issue of the BloodMoon Orcs and try to identify with whom they are allied and what their goals are. The men of Tyrannt's Hill have been claiming to be fighting and tracking these orcs.

2. There exists very near a state of war between the Beornings and other northern folk not numbered among the Woodmen. While Grimbeorn has not asked for aid in the telling I am sure that they would not refuse it if we offered.

3. Bofri of the Lonely Mountain has come with a business enterprise of restoring the old road through the forest. This would provide us perhaps with some income and have the added benefit of helping to restore free movement and passage through the forest without taking a long southern journey.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear