• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 06:54 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Dead Rest

Started by tomcat, Aug 23, 2016, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Sep 13, 2016, 09:16 PM #45 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2016, 09:54 PM by Eclecticon
Arbogast's heart falls as the master of the Sunstead speaks of his hard-won heirloom, but he holds his tongue and tries not to let his mind show. 

"Your offer is generous, as befits one of your House.  I would that I could accept it, for I have seen your fair country, and the good folk who call it their home.  But my own folk have wanted too long already for my labour, and I would do poor service for them were I to settle here.  Rather, bestow your land on those who know better how to bring forth its bounty," he glances, not un-meaningfully, at Bandy, "and let me bring tokens of your goodwill back to the Black Tarn." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

disench4nted

Rorin too felt a sadness as Caewin re-affirmed is fixation on the Helm, "Would that I have never crafted it." he thought.

To the lord he said, "Your land is rich and beautiful and I am certain that I would be content to call Sunstead my home, but I have a forge to tend across the forest. Your favor is reward enough, but this dwarf will not turn down treasure that is offered."

When their audience finally ended and the company turned to leave, Rorin felt that they would one day return to this Hall....but under what circumstances? He hoped against hope that Lord Caewin would not fall prey to the Shadow.

Telcontar

Bandy bowed low before the lord of Sunstead.
"Lord, your offer is gracious and the rolling hills of your realm remind me of those of my home. But as you have sought to be numbered among the Woodmen we too must return there. Take it not as slighting your offer, but as advocates for your rule. We too desire to see the folk of Wilderland prosper and the best place for us to do that is east of the wood where the Councils Elders and the Brown Wizard reside. May the darkness of the woods and the mists of the hills stay clear of the doors of your hall."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn listens to the fellowship as they respond to Ceawin's offer.  Like the others, he is disappointed in the lord's intransigence regarding that bit of gold and jewel, but he isn't surprised.  He's seen firsthand the lure of shiny things have on the hearts of Men, Elves, and Dwarves, though he was quite young at the time of the Battle of Five Armies.  Resigned to the fact that a man is alone the master of his fate, the Beorning steps forward.  "Lord, I appreciate your offer of reward but as you know I am bound to another, to take up a mantle like yours.  I will gladly accept your gift and will seek to use it to better our two peoples.  If I may grant in return the use of my name as reference and good will for if your people come to the landing to do business.  It may mean nothing more than a kinder disposition in dealings but for my people even that is generous."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 14, 2016, 08:07 AM #49 Last Edit: Sep 14, 2016, 08:09 AM by tomcat
And so it was that with September's end, the companions readied themselves once more to make the crossing of the Narrows. Each harbored a hidden fear, for the previous experience had been dark and treacherous, and now their number was less.

They took another three days to finalize their travel plans and to gather their things. The Company was pleased to learn that the horse-master who maintained the paddocks of Sunstead would not accept the return of the four horses and two ponies that they companions had ridden since leaving Rhosgobel in the spring of this year. The time seemed much longer than only a few months since they had delivered Verwyne to her betrothed, and then visited Mountain Hall, but they had accomplished much.

Saddlebags were filled with travel rations - dried meats, waybread, dried fruits and vegetables, and finally feed for the horses. Each companion had filled two waterskins for themselves and lashed them to their saddles along with a blanket with which to hopefully find comfort.

They were ready.

The sun rose bright on the morning of October 4th, though a chill wind blew out of the east. The companions wrapped themselves snuggly in warmer clothes and mounted. Ceawin and the folk of Sunstead came forth to see them off. The streets were filled with people with gracious words and kind gifts. Esgalwen smiled when she was handed a warm meat-pie, "We will enjoy this treat very much, for after all we will have to look forward to will be trail rations." The woman who had given it as a gift gave a smile, "Bless you, Lady! Thank you for your aid to Sunstead."

And so it was for each of the companions, though the gifts varied by whom bestowed them. It came to a point where the items were too much a burden and thus needed to be declined. Fortunately, this did not cause any apparent ill-feelings, as those that offered smiled and nodded in understanding - some folk seemed relieved.

At last, the company made it to the gates and were now free of the throng of people. They looked back and waved and then turned their horses west. With the sun rising behind them, they rode toward the dull gray-green shadow of Mirkwood that rose in front. The goal of the companions was to be back in their respective homes before the first snows of November.

The road for the better part of an hour, crossing the fields of the East Bight - the barrow hills rising to the south. The forest was just under a mile in distance when they saw her. A lone figure stood atop a green mound that puckered up out of the plain like a bubble. The company knew her, though she was some ways away - it was the medicine woman, the one named Leyna. The old crone watched as they passed, neither signaling nor moving.

"Should we see what she wants?" asked Esgalwen, feeling a slight discomfort from the stare of the woman.

:ooc: All PC's received 4 points in treasure (24 total split by 6) :csu:

You also permanently own your horse/pony. Feel free to write up the horse in regards to colorings, gender, attitude, or however much depth you wish to give (make your own Bill) :csu:

Lastly, feel free to write down three things that were given to you by the grateful folk of Sunstead. Nothing major - but something that your PC might want or need. A wooden flute, or a good weave of rope; a fine shirt, or nice boots; a basket of muffins, or a meat-pie. The items can be permanent or consumable, but nothing of great wealth, just a three tokens that you might see your character taking. Cool?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I am rolling journey rolls now for everyone to expedite the return:

Crossing the Narrows
Total 110 miles but will be modified by x3 due to Severe terrain; horses normally not able to be ridden, so I am only giving a mounted travel rate of 30 (instead of 40 miles per day); so, total travel time will be 11 days minus any unforeseen events.

• Lore test to gain success dice at TN 14
• 3 Fatigue tests (Travel) required at TN 18

• Arbogast will call on his Mirkwood Lore (since he had no Lore skill), and gain an auto-success
• Idunn will call on his Mirkwood Lore (since he had no Lore skill), and gain an auto-success

Lore tests
TN 14 by PC
:00: Bandy 3d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 6, total 15

:00: Esgalwen 1d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

:00: Grimbeorn 0d 1d12 : 11, total 11

:00: Rorin 1d 1d12 : 3, total 3

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: So, Journey bonus success dice go to:

Arbogast 1d
Idunn 1d
Bandy 2d
Esgalwen 1d

Travel rolls (3x each)
TN 18 Travel by PC
:00: Arbogast (1) 2d 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7

:00: Arbogast (3) 2d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4

:00: Arbogast (3) 2d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 4, total 6

:00: Bandy (1) 2d 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

:00: Bandy (2) 2d 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 6, total 7

:00: Bandy (3) 2d 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 5, total 11

:00: Esgalwen (1) 3d 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 5, total 12

:00: Esgalwen (2) 3d 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 3, total 8

:00: Esgalwen (3) 3d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 3, 3, total 9

:00: Grimbeorn (1) 3d 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 5, total 11

:00: Grimbeorn (2) 3d 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 6, total 12

:00: Grimbeorn (3) 3d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 2, 1, total 4

:00: Idunn (1) 1d 1d12 : 4, total 4

:00: Idunn (2) 1d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

:00: Idunn (3) 1d 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

:00: Rorin (1) 3d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 6, 2, total 10

:00: Rorin (2) 3d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 4, total 11

:00: Rorin (3) 3d 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 2, 3, total 7

tomcat

:ooc: Very nice! No :~~: 's and so, no Hazards.

Which means, that the company crosses the Narrows - maybe a little weary from fatigue, but only the flies give them hell.

tomcat

:ooc: By the way, I left this thread open still to RP with Esgalwen's question. Don't feel that it is over just because I did the journey rolls and prepped the Fellowship phase thread.

Eclecticon

"She has given valuable counsel in the past," says the Fire-water. Though not precisely correct on the matter of our deaths.

"I would hear her once again, if she has more to tell us."

Character sheet

Telcontar

"It would be a fitting end to our joirney here. We could not be safetly gone without some cryptic words of the seer to trouble us over the winter."

Bandy jerked the reins of his pony in the direction of the woman.

"Perhaps she will explain here early words or give us what we need most, insight."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

The rest of the companions followed Bandy, reining their horses in the direction of the old woman. It did not take long to cover the distance and as they approached, they saw Mother Leyna wrapped in her old shawl. The fabric was threadbare and offered little comfort from the chilled air that blew across top of the hillock. Her body was still unclean and her hair was a mess of tangles and knots, but the painted symbols that covered her seemed fresh.

"Hello, old woman," said Esgalwen, "you have come to see us off?"

Mother Leyna's eyes came up slowly, as if her concentration was broken and she was far off in another place within her mind.

"Aye," said the crone, "I would see you safely from our lands and I would ask you to return that which was given."

"Given?" asked Grimbeorn.

"Yes...the token that I bestowed upon that one," she pointed to Idunn, "before you made your fateful journey to the barrows."

Eclecticon

:ooc: As far as gifts go, Arbogast receives a new homespun shirt to replace the one that was destroyed in the barrow, a horn of ale which he washes down on the spot with a smile, and a piece of beaten copper with a ribbon to tie it into a braid.  The latter has writing on it in an unfamiliar alphabet.  His pony is the breed common to the lands of the River Running: nut brown with a long, shaggy mane and tail.  They're docile animals, and easy enough to train, but patient to the point of apathy.  Getting them moving can be a struggle, but once they start, they'll happily plod along all day with barely a stop for rest. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Apparently the tale of the slaying of Bloody Muzzle was well known in Sunstead. It never occured to the Hobbit that he may have told the story 100 times in the time he was there. For when he departed among the wealth the lord of Sunstead gave him was a leather belt, a buckle shaped like a doubled headed boar of worked gold, and an end piece of the same as a part of his treasure. The other gifts he recieved from the folk, though more mundane, pleased him as well. A blowing horn made from some beasts of the plains that was carved and inked in the image of a dragon, a leather scabbard for his blade pressed with zoomorphic boars, and most prized of all a map that he was told would take him to the inn of his folk.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn marveled at the generosity and kindness of the people of Sunstead ere their departure.  They lavished him and his companions with wonderful gifts, some of the best made by their artisans and makers.  Of the things offered, he found a small, hand-carved bear -- simple and well-loved, as if made by a child.  When he sought out the maker, his intuition was right for the carver was a young boy who just began apprenticing with the town's master.  He visited briefly with the boy and when he left, he quietly, anonymously left a bit of the gold to the master to sponsor the child.  He did this with the makers of the other two gifts he discovered: a leather sheath for his family's axe and a small beaten bronze disc with the symbol of the town afixed with a flaxen braid.  The bronze token he kept hidden away in pocket within the breast of his tunic.

:ooc: Grimbeorn gives away half of his treasure of gold

---

Meeting the old woman's gaze for a moment, the Beorning reached behind his neck for the cord that held the pouch, removed it, and handed it over to the old woman.  "If this was to protect the bearer from harm, it worked."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16