• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 01:04 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Spiders, spiders, everywhere - round 4

Started by tomcat, Jul 13, 2016, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Doug,
My thought is that when we start showing the PCs we are going to want to interact with it.

I also think that the drama point was that this feels like more of a dynamic life threatening fight than the other ones we have had recently.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Jul 14, 2016, 08:20 AM:ooc: <SNIP>

Is this sarcasm? I don't want anyone finding the game weak of drama or excitement, so let me know if the story is coming off flat. Thanks!
:ooc: Definitely!  I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I'm really enjoying the way the story is going.  The fact that we've all basically agreed that Caewin's plan is a terrible idea, but we're following along anyway because of promises we made to other people, is the stuff of excellent narrative.

Tom also makes a good point when he says that this fight feels more dramatic than others we've had.  I find the effect of the spiders using their ensnare ability interesting.  Mechanically speaking, it doesn't seem too bad, but it gets a passionate 'Gaaah!  Nonononono!' reaction (at least, from me). 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Can someone else assist an ensnared teammate? Like how Bilbo frees his companions? Would the test be easier for someone else? Would the test be easier if no one is actually threatening an ensnared person?

tomcat

Jul 15, 2016, 09:28 AM #18 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2016, 09:46 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Hey Ayrn - yea, I have no problem with someone cutting away the webs and freeing a companion. It will be the same TN 13.

Esgalwen panted from the strain from cutting her way free of the strands of web. Grimbeorn held his massive shield to cover her even as he sparred with another of the great monsters. Close at hand, Rorin pulled his axe out of a still-twitching spider. The Dwarf and looked around to see the tactical situation as it now stood. Arbogast and Bandy were still engaged with the creatures, while Idunn wrestled to free herself.

Caewin's voice rang out from somewhere. Where exactly? Who knew? It was Mirkwood - there were trees everywhere and it was twilight-gloomy in the middle of the day.  Something crashed through the thin undergrowth nearby. Was it another spider? A horse still trying to escape the confusion? One of the East Bight Men fleeing, or a Fellowship member rampaging against their enemy?

It was Arbogast who saw it. The man, though still beset by a spider, looked about at the woods and the terrain. They needed to create a shield-wall - to gain control of the fight. The spiders were within their ranks, leaping in as they did with horrific efficiency. The Fire-watcher saw her...she was sitting within one of the great trees nearby, her hideous mass bending the boughs. Like a mother controlling her children, the great spider watched the conflict, waiting to pounce.

Arbogast knew she was the spirit behind the spiders offense. They had barely escaped from riding into the monsters' nest, not a few hours past - the Hobbits eyes having saved them from the hazard. But she had led them out and now pushed them forward in her silent, menacing way. Perhaps if she were to be slain, would the remaining spiders flee? What if she were to be merely wounded, would she remove herself from the attack and bring her brood with her?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Esgalwen needed the spider to die. Though pain wracked her body, she raised her sword above her head in her two-handed stance and then slashed it down when the spider darted towards her.

Again Ceawin's voice was heard as he shouted a rally to his people, "MEN OF SUNSTEAD, PRESS THE ATTACK! WE MUST BRING DEATH TO THIS SCOURGE!"

The rally seemed to work as the men of East Bight surged forward.

:ooc: I am allowing a second MASS COMBAT ROLL, for Ceawin's rally.

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Esgalwen attacks:
TN 10 longsword 3d, skirmisher 1d, weary
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 4d6 : 3, 5, 3, 3, total 14

:dmg: 7   edge: 9   injury: 18
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

"Ho the Helm," Arbogast calls.  "Our chief adversary sits yonder!" 

He gestures, as quickly as he may, with his axe, hoping that other members of the Fellowship, untroubled by lesser foes, might see and understand. 

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Athletics roll to free Idunn...

Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1

Rolled 2d6 : 1, 1, total 2

Posterboy

Wow... that's about as bad as it can get.  :'(

Eclecticon

:ooc: Not so!  There's always the :~~: to worry about! 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: LOL! Yea, that was the epitome of bad dice rolls!

I am not going to keep Idunn trapped still, though, Ayrn. She has spent two rounds trying to get free and has not been impeded, so she is no longer ensnared.

tomcat

:ooc: Spiders attack:

TN by PC sting 2d+3
:00: v Arbogast TN 24 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6+3 : 6, 4 + 3, total 13

:00: v Bandy TN 18 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6+3 : 4, 4 + 3, total 11

:00: v Esgalwen TN 15 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 2d6+3 : 3, 6 + 3, total 12

:00: v Grimbeorn TN 24 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6+3 : 3, 4 + 3, total 10

:dmg: 3   edge: 10   injury: 14 special: Poison

tomcat

:ooc: RESULTS:

• Arbogast is missed
• Bandy is hit for 3 END, but also takes a Piercing Blow TN 14  :csu:
• Esgalwen is hit with a Great Success, but Grimbeorn suffers the blow do to his defense of her;  1 Hope and 6 END loss  :csu:
• Grimbeorn's spider misses the Beorning

Bandy Protection test
TN 14 armor 1d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

tomcat

:ooc: I will assume you will spend a Hope Point, Tom, but please confirm.

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: hey man, I have to rescind the Hope option - Bandy doesn't have a high enough Body score.

Bandy is now wounded.