• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 12:38 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Desperate melee! - Round 2

Started by tomcat, Oct 08, 2005, 06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 08, 2005, 06:42 AM Last Edit: Jun 24, 2006, 11:33 AM by tomcat
Description: Scatha sits in the courtyard of the castle before the donjon - Edrahil, Durgil, Daelhun, Nain and Fengel all stand off at the front of the castle; Dirnhael and Camentir attack from the rear

Physical Modifiers: Each round, the company will be hindered by Scatha's Terror
Scatha's Terror effects:
Intimidate (Fear) +35 / 2 = +17
Roll(2d6)+17: 6,5,+17 Total:28 - the Terror will have a range/visual effect based on the chart below:

Opposed Willpower test -
Just hearing the Dragon: 1/4 the Terror roll
Seeing the Dragon from 100+ yards: 1/2 the Terror Roll
Seeing the Dragon from 25-99 yards: 3/4 the Terror Roll
Anything closer requires the full Willpower test

Situational Modifiers: Nain is Injured (Hardy) -1 and missing his axe (unless you have a good reason why he would have it), Edrahil is Wounded -5, Fengel is Dazed (Hardy) -0

Initiative*:
Dirnhael - 8 +10=18
Scatha - 17
Camentir - 7

I am gonna assume that the other party members will stand by, as they really have no weapons that will aid (although Cerduil may). Rll me an initiative and give me actions if I am wrong here  - Doug

*Remember to roll your next round's initiative at the end of your posts

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Willpower - (6+4)+2=12

Durgil yells, "Fengel! Daelhun!  Get out of there!"

OOC: Even if he doesn't find an injured spot...

Durgil strings another arrow and fires at its head, still in attempt to distract the dragon.

RC: Bows (Longbow) - (6+5)+8+2-8?=21/13 SUCCESS?

OOC: What I wouldn't give for Quick-draw (at least) and Swift Shot.

Init - (5+4)+2=11
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Palandil

OOC: Allrighty then, Fengel doesn't have a flame retarding suit so this changes my last post.

As Daelhun hauls up Nain and begins to ride away, Fengel rides to the broken wall to aid Dirnhael and Camentir if he can, hoping to exact some vengence to the dragon as well.

sdrotar

Oct 09, 2005, 06:24 PM #3 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 01:17 PM by tomcat
Quote from: tomcat on Oct 09, 2005, 10:54 AM
OOC: Hey Shawn, you were correct with the Evasion roll, the dice results are double 6's which grant an additional die roll. So, you only need spend 1 point from the PoP edge granted, but remember, the PoP points may only be spent in a minimum of 5 points.

The effect of Scatha's fear is to Un-Man Dirnhael who would flee as fast as possible or to fall to the ground and cower. Dirnhael may only spend his action allowance on running. Next round, he will still suffer the fear effects unless he spends 1 Courage, or 5 points from PoP.

Lastly, as a quick clue / reminder... PoP points can be spent on ALL tests which can affect a round. One test that you rolled here could be re-worked and make a big difference in how the round resulted (meaning, because the dragon is such an opponent, I do not have a problem with re-working the round based on different results).

OOC: Um... I must be missing that... any hints? ;)
I thought I was way more than 15 off from either of those Fear tests.
I will spend my last Courage Point during that Dodge, and save 2 extra PoP bonus in doing so.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Oct 10, 2005, 05:00 AM #4 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 01:17 PM by tomcat
OOC: A clue, huh? Hmmmm..... do I want to give any more hints? Let's just say it is how we initiate things in combat. ;D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Oct 10, 2005, 11:30 AM #5 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012, 01:22 PM by tomcat
OOC: Hey Shawn, I have re-structured this thread so that it reads in order for everyone to see what happened. Your posts are in Blue.

Initiative Roll: Roll(2d6)+2:2,4,+2 Total:8 - Spend 10 Pawn of Prophecy bonus on Dirnhael's Initiative. That gets him to 18 and moves him ahead of Scatha.

Make my Dodge my second (or third - don't know how many I'll lose due to those insane Fear TNs and my awful rolls) action, and I'll use my first (and second if available) actions to stab at the dragon again. However many Actions I have available, I will save the last Action with no penalty for that Dodge so the rest of the team doesn't have to scrape me off the side of the castle. ;)

Resist Terror (TN 28)
Roll(2d6)+2:4,2,+2 Total:8 - FAIL

Revised ACTION 1 - Attack Scatha (TN 12)
Dirnhael's AC (Longsword) +13, Andúring bonus +5 (dragon bane), Warwise +1, Specialty Bonus +2, Size +8, Terror -2 = +27
Roll(2d6)+27:6,3,+27 Total:36
Damage (+10 dragon bane, dragon's scale value is halved): Roll(2d6)+16:5,6,+16 Total:27 (OOC: Woo-hoo!)

Revised ACTION 2 (if applicable) - Attack Scatha (TN 12)
Roll(2d6)+27:3,3,+27 Total:33
Damage: Roll(2d6)+16:4,6,+16 Total:26

Delay ACTIONS 3 and 4

The great beast turned - it was faster than he expected, and he felt sheer terror as the dragon bellowed in rage.
Desperately, he thrust with Andúring again, plunging the blade as deeply as possible into the fearsome creature. It's enormous body shifted, and Dirnhael realized that it meant to crush him against the castle wall. He ducked just in time as the dragon smashed into the stone; sending dust and small bits of rubble to the ground all around him, even as all was momentarily dark beneath the belly of the beast.
It was just a matter of time before his life would be over, Dirnhael thought, but he took solace in the fact that he may have bought his friends enough time to escape...

Scatha is not in a position to maneuver to knock away (parry Dirnhael's attacks and thus the dragon takes another 27+26 = 52 - 16 armour (16*2 / 2) = 36 damage. Scatha is now reduced to to 192 hit points (or he has only 1 full Healthy and one with 6  left, plus Dazed- Near Death). Though the dragon is still relatively healthy , he did not sign on to an attack for the Witch-king where he was going to lose 118 Health - which will require 118 years to recover from! So, the following actions are performed by Scatha and the narrative below will sum it up.

Scatha attacks Camentir - Sweep of Tail - TN 11
AC +14, Specialty +2, Strength +8, Size -8
ACTION 1
Roll(2d6)+16: 3,3,+16 Total:22 SUCCESS
Damage if not Dodged:
Roll(3d6)+8: 3,6,4,+8 Total:21

Camentir attempts to Dodge TN 22
Dodge +4, Injured (Hardy) -1
ACTION 1
Roll(2d6)+3: 2,2,+3 Total:7 (3 Courage* - Bold Edge give +5 instead of +3 to Physical tests) SUCCESS
*Camentir is out of Courage... that could have been bad for the old commander
;D

Scatha attacks Dirnhael by smashing his body into the Dúnadan TN 11
UC (Grapple) +11, Specialty +2, Strength +8, Size -8
ACTION 2
Roll(2d6)+13: 4,3,+13 Total:20
Damage if not Dodged:
Roll(4d6)+8: 6,6,3,4,+8 Total:27

At the same time, the Dragon launches into the air TN 15
Fly +18,  AA -5
ACTION 3
Roll(2d6)+13: 5,3,+13 Total:21

Dirnhael ACTION 3 - Dodge (TN 20)
Roll using Evasion ability: Roll(3d6)+2: 6,2,6,+2 (eliminate the 2) Total:14 + Roll(1d6)+0:5,+0 Total:5 (for Double 6's) = 19
OOC: That brings the total to 19 and I will use 1 Courage to succeed.

Narrative to follow....