• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 09:32 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Mountain Hall

Started by tomcat, Feb 17, 2016, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Feb 23, 2016, 10:31 AM #30 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 10:37 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Damn! Bandy is the social expert of the Anduin Vale, along with Rorin!  ;D

Results: Bandy and Rorin both know (maybe from the Folk-moot) that Hartfast prefers Courtesy when he is approached. Awe is deemed as arrogance and the TN will increase on all rolls. Both PC's earn an AP  :csu:

When the beer and food had been finished, and the crocks cleaned and restored to their places, Beranald told them to gather their things. "Fine folk like you, I am sure the master will wish to meet! Be sure and tell him of the trolls you have slain - they have been stealing our sheep for months and it will please my master to know that they will no longer bother us. Too must I ask that all of your weapons stay here, within my home for safekeeping. If you do not meet this requirement, you will go no further."

(Any who protest must stay behind at the Doorwarden's House)

The Doorwarden led them out of his house, but did not follow the road to the entrance of the Great House, but instead to the mine beyond. The mine entrance was one of many shafts that wormed their way into the Mountain's roots. By the standards of the Woodmen, these were extensive excavations – to Rorin, they were a child's idle scratchings. Beranald kindled a torch made from rushes, and led the company down into the mine. The walls and floor were slick with water and icy drops fell from above. The torchlight made the walls glitter.

The mines contained useful metals – copper and tin and iron primarily, but gold had been found, too. It was the dream of the mountain-folk to strike Mithril, the fabled Moria-silver, but they had yet to do so.

The tunnel winded on and on, and the company descended several flights of stairs until they come to a larger cave. There, four burly mountain-folk stood with their ears pressed against the far wall. One of these folk turned to see who had come into the chamber. This was Hartfast, the chieftain of Mountain Hall.

Hartfast looked like the Misty Mountains; craggy features, absurdly tall, and a wild shock of white hair. Golden amulets were braided into his grey beard. He had seen more than fifty winters here in the mountains, but he was yet unbowed. He leaned on a stout walking stave more than he used to, but he could still swing an axe or draw a bow with the best of his grandsons. He was a proud man, and had little time for outsiders – not even the other Woodman tribes were truly welcome here. It was a long way across the River to Woodland Hall, and Hartfast considered them distant cousins at best. Behind his back, the other Woodmen called him the 'tallest dwarf' for his stubborn pride and standoffishness.

When the companions first meet his gaze, Hartfast scowled at them and brusquely demanded, "Beranald? Who are these people and why are they in my mountain fortress?"

The Doorwarden bowed and answered, "These travelers are Free-folk out of Mirkwood, Lord. They have come far to seek to procure items from us in exchange for like items of value."

Standing tall over all but Grimbeorn, Hartfast inspected each companion with a discerning eye. "A Dwarf! I seem to remember you from the Folk-moot...you were all there." The realization seemed to ease the man's scowl.

I leave it here to you guys to make your test(s) for introduction and interaction....
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Feb 23, 2016, 10:34 AM #31 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 10:44 AM by GandalfOfBorg
Grimbeorn, though able to stand and move, had slowed his companions travel and he wasn't in the best mood (when is he ever?) by the time they reached Mountain Hall, any joy felt from the recovery of the shield had soured.  Despite doing his job in the battle by taking the brunt of the attacks from the trolls and living to tell the tale, it rankled that he didn't come away with a kill and has also required additional assistance and attention -- two things he's not used to receiving.  In the past, he personally has had dealings with folk of this hall, amicable mostly mixed with some grumbling about the cost of tolls at the Old Ford and up to the High Pass, but this didn't prevent him from giving at least a passing courtesy to the man who offered both a warm hearth and food from his larder.  Sitting by the fire in the doorwarden's house, eating and drinking, the heir of Beorn felt better and a maybe a little drowsy as one would expect when mixing strong drink with healing from great wounds.  Soon he was once again snoozing with head drooped to his chest and drinking crock hanging from his hand.  A quick jab unseen from a Halfling though woke him as the doorwarden prepared for them to leave.  A yawn, brief stretch, and an offer of gratitude to their host and Grimbeorn was ready to go.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: Matt, does this mean that Grimbeorn will not go to meet Hartfast?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Feb 23, 2016, 10:43 AM #33 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 10:46 AM by GandalfOfBorg
 :ooc: I quickly adjusted at the end to get to join everyone.

BTW, Grimbeorn will go last in the introductions.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: Awesome!

Okay, remember - we need a successful Introduction roll for the Interactions to commence. If you guys choose a spokesperson to speak for you all at introduction, no one else can perform tests during the interaction (accept tests that might aid the spokesperson).

If you introduce as a group, then all must succeed and you may all then interact with the host.

I will wait until tonight or tomorrow to see your posts and what you all are doing. I suggest you be definitive in your post choices (i.e. my PC is not good at Courtesy, so I choose a spokesperson based on best stat...or something like this), otherwise it can drag out to be a scene everyone inputs on but nothing is decided.

I will say now, Bandy has the best Courtesy at 3, but he is a Hobbit and Hartfast doesn't care for them. Esgalwen follows with 2, Grimbeorn at 1, and everyone else has 0.  ;)

Have fun!

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: In the end it might be best that Grimbeorn speaks.  He is not a Hobbit nor a woman and he has some clout.  My personal preference would be for Esgalwen but not sure how a woman speaking for us would go over.
Gwaithlim Weapons

disench4nted

:ooc:
Does Rorin's Lore test reveal these people's feeling about women? Because if a woman speaking out would not be well received then Rorin will suggest Grimbeorn speaks, if it's fine though, he would suggest Esgalwen.

tomcat

:ooc: your lore does not tell you any ill will towards woman.

Eclecticon

Feb 23, 2016, 02:46 PM #38 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 06:19 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Canonically, the women hunt and fight alongside their menfolk.  The Woodmen don't really have the manpower to do it any other way.  I don't foresee any problem with using Esgalwen as a spokesperson in-character.  OOC, of course, we wind up with Doug talking to himself, which is more work for him and less interesting for us.  Grimbeorn is still Weary, which gives a pretty significant mechanical penalty.  So I'd recommend getting as many speakers introduced as possible. 

That said, Arbogast has no points in courtesy even though I built him as largely a social character.  It turns out that if you don't read the rules closely, you don't build your characters quite the way you want to.   :-[  I'll try for a hail-Mary roll backed up with Hope and his Cunning attribute, if nobody has any objections.  Bandy should introduce himself too - bigotry be damned. 

EDIT: If it's not clear, my understanding is that some of the Fellowship can successfully introduce themselves and interact without the entire party having to do so.  We also should settle on a SOP for doing this, to speed things up in the future. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

The dancing light of old Beranald's torch, coupled with the claustrophobic surrounds, reminds Arbogast uncomfortably of the halls of Dol Guldur, and he holds his tongue as Hartfast acknowledges them.  Instead, he regards the other three men quizzically, as they have not ceased their strange behaviour.  What do they listen for? he wonders. 

:ooc: On reflection, bugger it.  Arbogast will take a back seat until I can buy his Courtesy up.  In the meantime, he has other concerns. 

Rolling Insight to see if I can figure out what they're doing. 
DC 14 (?) Insight 2
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: So, um, do we have a decision?
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: I nominate Bandobras as group spokesperson.  Do I have a second?

Character sheet

tomcat

Feb 23, 2016, 07:25 PM #42 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 07:37 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Eclecticon on Feb 23, 2016, 02:46 PMEDIT: If it's not clear, my understanding is that some of the Fellowship can successfully introduce themselves and interact without the entire party having to do so.  We also should settle on a SOP for doing this, to speed things up in the future.

:ooc: Yes, this is true. You either have a spokesperson who speaks for everyone in the Introduction and Interaction - and all tests are based on that person's skills.

--or--

Any PC can make an introduction, and thus speak in the interaction part of the encounter.

Bottom line is, I add up all successful tests and it tells me what level of aid/interest Hartfast will show you.

BTW - you guys are no longer Miserable.

Esgalwen would agree, too, that Bandy is the best choice - but she would include herself in the introductions to allow for a second voice in the interactions. Grimbeorn, too, could speak last as was his comment above. You guys are set to a Tolerance of 5, which means 5 is the maximum number of failures that can occur.

So, let's see what Tom and Steve say, and then we'll roll and roleplay this out.

Eclecticon

The change in Arbogast's expression is a small one that only a companion of long standing would likely see, but the Woodman feels his heart begin to pound.  Listening at the wall... tension in their faces... heavy picks gripped tight... no other men to be seen or heard in the mines...

Listening at the wall...

He leans in towards the Ranger and the Hobbit as they share a glance, and whispers.  "These mines are troubled.  The men here fear attack by goblins tunnelling up from beneath." 

:ooc: Doug, feel free to correct the narrative if I'm wrong.  But dollars to donuts I'm not. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I'm good with it, let the dice speak.

Grimbeorn gives a nod and "gentle" nudge as only the large Beorning could to prompt the halfling into speaking.
Gwaithlim Weapons