• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 12:05 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Halls of Men

Started by tomcat, Dec 16, 2015, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Jan 25, 2016, 07:13 AM #45 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2016, 07:15 AM by Telcontar
 :ooc: I am not sure if we are all here or not, but I'll put this here for now and Doug can let me know if its out of place or needs to be changed. I'll tap my Clever Trait for this or Roll Courtesy if that's required instead.

Bandy was pleased to be part of the family gathering, for many months the dwarf alone had been his dinner companion. His mind wandered and he reflected again on how long it was since he had been at home or in the company of any other Hobbits, but this thought was soon thrust aside by the clatter and commotion of a family at dinner.  The Hobbit listened and learned much about the family by what was stated and implied. The hobbit also told many stories of his own, most of which were initiated by a long discourse of the familial relationship of the principle characters, and to provide for a better chortle at the appropriate parts indicated the hobbit. He had reached into his traveling gear to retrieve the tin whistle he had been trying to learn over the winter, but the look on Rory's face dissuaded him from the task and instead he dug out the long stemmed pipe.

Now full, relaxed and apparently with no appropriate story the hobbit puffed on his long stemmed pipe and filled the room with a pleasing aroma.

"Well now, that was a good meal and much enjoyed after many days upon the trail. The company was exquisite and I thank you for welcoming me into your home.  My folk are known to be a talkative sort," and with that remark his gazed turned towards his dwarven companion.

"But this comes from having large families of our own that are much in the same company with each other. That is beside the point and another matter comes to my mind now. I was at the market today and saw very many goods and cattle and I have it in my mind of a sudden to buy some lambs. I am not a tender of animals by trade, but I believe some of those folk can be found here. I would propose that I buy four lambs, to be kept here in Woodman-town under your care. For the cost of feeding and caring for the animals I would divide the net wool produced in half. Yours to do with as you wished, and the rest to be sent to me in Rhosgobel. The Black Tarn Hall has had a terrible spring and they will have need of resources. My half of the wool I would forward on to Arbogast, to fetch a fair price where he lives and will be for the enrichment and profit of us all. I think too I shall buy a fifth lamb, as a betrothal gift for Sunne in thanks for all the friendship and countless times brave Arbogast has stood by me in terrible places. I would repay in joy what friendship was forged in the dark places of the wood. Is this agreeable?"

Not for the first time did Rory wonder how much of an impact the hobbit had had on his holdings in the south and what an astute business sense the hobbit had to both help people and profit by it as well.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Okay - it is my intention to do one more post regarding this scene and then move our story on.

That said, I open this part of the game to you guys to add any narration that you want to go deeper into your PC's background and relations. What I mean is, Paul - you may write a whole scene about your family getting together and what comes of it. But not just Paul - everyone can write what their character will do for the next few days from Woodmen-town to Woodland Hall. Feel free to add new details, new potential story arcs, etc. Feel free to include all of the PC's in your narration with the understanding that it may need tweaked if two player narrations have any conflict as to where or when.

I will pick the primary story arc up again with you guys leaving Woodland Hall and heading west towards the mountains.

Now if you say, no, let's keep going with the real-time RP'ing of the Woodmen-town gathering, I will, but I didn't want to overdo the amount of time spent on non-adventure RP'ing.

Anyway, I will give you guys a day - or two - to add to the story as you please in regards to the gathering at Arbogast's family home, and then the two days travel to Woodland Hall - Verwyne's drop off and then you all moving west.

I will wait for your responses and then give the game a day before I close up the north travel to drop off the girl.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jan 25, 2016, 07:34 AM #47 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2016, 10:05 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Awesome! I clicked post on my post above and found that Tom had done just what I offered.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Quiet and sullen, Grimbeorn does as he is bid and returns Verwyne to Ceawin's tent.  Bidding the lady a good day, he ignores any questions or comments from everyone at the tent and goes off to find his dwarf friend and a deep mug of ale.  The time they remain in the village, Grimbeorn is gruff and surly, not answering questions of his friends about what happened.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Whether it was the nature of hobbits, their rarity in these parts, the personality of Bandobras Bracegirdle, or a combination of all, the hobbit was soon known throughout Woodman-town. He spent his days talking with the people of the market, sharing stories and bits of knowledge over an ale, and being invited to dinners and luncheons around the town. One of the tall folk would of hade to refuse the many offers of food out of sheer quantity, but a Hobbit was not one of the Big Folk and despite his height readily agreed to all offers of a meal. He was an avid listener and with a quick wit and eye for detail. The folk soon learned that the Hobbit, while interested in stories, was also keen to understand the small parts of the story that allowed him to place the tale to a time or place. In fact had they remained in Woodman-town any longer the elders would have consulted him on some of the finer points and order in which some of the families had wed, or when such and such an event had occurred. As if his height and humor were not enough he was also known throughout the town for the hat he had acquired at the market. The article had not yet been repeatedly drenched by the rains and travel stained so the peak still stood tall and the brim sharp. The felt of the hat was not yet shaped by the head that wore it so it stood stiffly on the Hobbit's brow. When asked about it the Hobbit simply said, "wizards wear them when about and I'm about myself, must be a good reason for it."
Through it all the Hobbit was jovial and full of good cheer and the journey had been very helpful for his scholarly pursuits. The lone solitary hobbit east of the Great River was now certain that some of his folk had established an inn, additionally the scholar no longer thought that the stories of the river folk were complete myth. Perhaps there were some of his distant folk that had remained here an age ago and not passed to the west over the mountains to Eriador.

They were there only a few days, but his parting from Woodman-town was bittersweet. Many new friends were sad to the see the hobbit leave, but had there been a better ambassador for Rhosgobel or the Black Tarn none could have named him. Strangely enough the distant ties of kinship between the woodmen were reinvigorated by the Hobbit. Many with whom the Hobbit spoke said that they would send aid to the people of the Tarn. For some it was blankets, from others the promise of free space on a boat heading south, still others roots or food that could be stored for great lengths. Arbogast was amazed at the accidental relief effort that the Hobbit had organized seemingly by accident and always with a smile and story. The folk of the Black Tarn would have a long way to go in recovering from the damage of the raid, but perhaps through the efforts of the small hobbit the winter would not be so deadly in coming.

Try as he might the mirth of the Hobbit would not rub off on Grimbeorn. The stoic Beorning had grown more reclusive as the days passed in Woodman-town. At first the hobbit thought that it might be so many people pressed so closely together that gave the man a sour attitude, but soon that was dissuaded by his reluctance to see or discuss Verwyne in any way. Bandy was aware that there were differences between Hobbits and the Big folk, he knew he could guess at but never fully understand their ways. So as a companion the Hobbit tried to occupy the mind of his friend with other matters. He asked his advice on local honey, spoke to him at great length to compare the notes and stories he heard with the woodmen against those of the Beornings. The hobbit even went so far as to ask him for instruction with the basics of sharpening axes and their use in battles. In each subject there was a reluctance to participate, but Bandy hoped that instead of being annoying he was at least preventing his friend from slipping further into melancholy.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

disench4nted

:ooc:
Rorin doesn't have much to add right now, he's along for the ride but a little bit anxious to begin the journey west so he can get the materials to craft the helm.

That being said, I'll try to get a RP post up sometime tomorrow.

Telcontar

:ooc: I have some more RP stuff but I would like to make a couple of rolls so that Bandy can gather some more knowledge about the area.

Travel Roll:
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Courtesy Roll for lasting impression on Woodmen-Town among the Council
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 5, total 11
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Arbogast passes his time quietly, reaffirming in a thousand small ways that, while Arbodag his father may be bitter, Oeric oafish and Cendag sullen, he is of their blood and they his.  Only Lafdag's company does he truly miss, for travel is passing hard for his uncle at the best of times and much must be attended to at his small steading. 

The fellowship's final evening in Woodmen-Town finds him in the company of Sunne, beneath the Lamp of Balthi in the great hall.  "It is just as beautiful as I remember," he says. 

"You will probably not recall, but when you were small, and plagued by the night-terrors, Mother and I used to bring you here.  The light would calm you back into slumber." 

"I remember small pieces.  You would sing to me. 
Hush a bye lu, my tiny brother,
Hush child, sleep while the moon rules the sky.
Our father's the finest, a hunter of Mirkwood,
He will return to us by and by.
"

Her voice joins his, entwining high notes with his baritone. 

"Hush for your sister, so far from her bed,
Soft the trees sway to the north wind's sad song.
Safe in this hall, 'neath the greatest of lanterns,
Close your eyes quiet, and sleep the night long.

Silently sleep, let no noise rouse the darkness,
Hush now my dear one, the wolves prowl so near.
Snug in night's blanket we'll join in our slumber,
Hush so the shadows of darkness won't hear. 

Hush a bye lu, my tiny brother,
Hush child, sleep while the moon rules the sky.
Our father's the finest, a hunter of Mirkwood,
He will return to us by and by.
"

It is Arbogast's voice that breaks the companionable silence after the song.  "You are to be wed, then?"

"Yes, to Theodwin of Mountain Hall." 

"So far away!  I can barely imagine life outside the forest." 

"Nor can I, if truth be told.  Still, I shall bear myself bravely, and restrict my pining for my homeland to times when it shall bother none." 

"I hope so.  I fear we are like the trees, you and I.  Our hearts are in our roots." 

Another silence descends for a time.  Long or short, tonight it does not seem to matter. 

"Father is still waiting, you know."  Sunne says. 

"For what?"

"For you to prove yourself to him." 

"I have no need to prove myself to him, nor to anyone."

"Such quick words!  And yet I have it from Mother that you wait for the approving nod of the Ice-Dancer's father..."

"Very well, so there are some whose good opinion I would have.  Why should Father be among them?" 

"Because he waits to know that the son he fathered will stand by his kin in the dark times to come, as he has done in his time.  Do not think that it is only labour and ale that make him bitter and disapproving.  I know well what you think of him, but he has kept us all safe for so many years.  But now he is like an elderly hound who can fight for his meat only with great effort.  You are his first-born.  He must have faith in you." 

"Very well... what would you, or he, have me do?" 

"For such a deep thinker, Arbogast, you are a fool!  Take the Field of Heroes!  If your small friend is to be believed, you have already fought off a thousand orcs while reciting the great tales of our folk."  She pokes him in the ribs.  "Just do that again.  He did not make it sound hard." 

She rises to leave, and plants a kiss on his forehead.  "Be safe, little brother.  Return to your family from time to time.  And come visit me in the mountains.  Perhaps they have beauty enough to satisfy both of us." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Tom, that 13 is close enough for government work.

Go ahead and glean what you wanted, unless it is info you need from me, so then let me know.

Telcontar

Doug,
 the travel roll is for knowledge about the area, perhaps the woodland road. And the Courtesy was for the Tarn relief effort to jive with a possible standing increase or courtesy influence roll later at Woodman-town.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

The journey to Woodland-hall was a lot smoother than the road from where they started. There was such an abundance of information and bits of story that Bandy had acquired on their last stop that he spent many hours cataloguing and ordering his notes by the light of the fire. The attitude of his companions had changed since the first leg of their journey, well the men-folk had anyway. Esgalwen still pressed on with an iron like determination and a martial eye towards the defenses and military value of each settlement or freehold that they encountered. Rorin too began to think about the helm he was to make. The dwarf often pondered both the style and technique he would use in its crafting. This was the one topic of conversation that the dwarf would readily engage in, and since there were no others of his kin he found that the Hobbit, and the time he had spent in the forge, was the closest thing to a smith companion he had. At least the Hobbit had enough sense to understand the concepts so the dwarf didn't have to explain the basics before launching into his ideas. The two men folk however had withdrawn. Abrogast considered and dwelling on thoughts of his family, emotions that he found he had buried sprung again to the fore. Grimbeorn performed every task assigned to him without complaint or comment however, the man who in the first leg of the journey seemed to be coming out of his shell was locked up tighter than a fresh water muscle when the river goes down.

Woodland-hall was the youngest of the three settlements, but in the lives of men this meant little for it was old and firmly established. If Rhosgobel was the center of wisdom, and Woodman-Town the center of trade, then Woodland-Hall was the center of culture. The great carvings in the hall told the great history and of the people. The small hobbit realized that many days would not be sufficient to understand all the details and stories that this hall contained. The historian made no attempt to even catalogue the stories and events of the hall. Instead, with the time he had available, he only sat in the hall and attempted to understand and embrace the whole of it.

Here too the party said goodbye to their beautiful companion from Sunstead. The hobbit liked her greatly, but he also found that the bright spot of her presence had soured the party somehow. The hobbit reflected on this and it was worrisome. How had Mirkwood taken this thing of beauty and with it sowed such seeds of discord among the party? This fact tempered the spirit of the hobbit, and he hoped that it was simply experience revealing itself to him, and not some callous dark stain of Dol Guldur.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Awesome posts, guys. New story thread tomorrow...maybe tonight.

GandalfOfBorg

Through the next leg of the trip, Grimbeorn was uncomfortable in his saddle, restless even.  What caused it though rode once again with her patron.  He spied her ever so often, a glance here or there though she wouldn't return his gaze.  Yet on occasion he would feel as though he was being watched by her as well.  It wasn't until the party reached the place where they would leave Verwyne that Grimbeorn said anything and it was to Arbogast.  "Who is Lady Verwyne is to marry?  I have heard scarce little of the man."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

"Aye, he is not often talked about outside of his kin.  Or so thought I, until recently!  His name is Aodhan, as you may have heard - a cousin to me on my mother's side.  He is one of the greatest craftsmen of our people.  Some of the carvings you shall see at Wuduseld are his work.  It seems that Caewin desires to have his skill, or perhaps just his prestige, for his clan at the Sunstead." 

He pauses for a minute to guide his horse over a particularly troublesome root.  "Though it may be unbecoming to speak so of my kin, I am concerned for their marriage.  Aodhan is honourable, but he is... deliberate and does nothing without long and careful consideration.  Our charge strikes me as more of a creature of sun and wind, and she will chafe at the ties that bind her to one so unlike her." 

"Plus, he is as deaf as a gatepost.  I do not know how he and she may come to know each other.  Perhaps they will not, and will live out their lives as the closest of strangers." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc:  Awesome! Great stuff for me to build on - or for Matt to build on.  ;D