• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 03:48 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Raiders at the Gate - complete engagement

Started by tomcat, Nov 09, 2015, 04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

For a moment, Arbogast feels the temptation to disengage, to declare to the world that his work for the day is done and let others take care of those raiders who will not surrender.  But it is not to be - already some Men of the Black Tarn are exchanging their axes for buckets and tools, fighting the fire now that the raiders are contained.  Already, the heat from the roaring flames is drying the blood on Arbogast's face and chest.  He tries to draw resolve from it and ready himself, for blow must be matched with blow until his kinsmen are safe. 

:ooc: Shifting back into Open stance again.  Let's see who drops first! 

Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 5, total 14
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: second attacker takes 7 Endurance loss for 7/16.

I will resolve his actions in a little bit.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

With their position flanked by chanting, furious Woodmen, the raiders were hard-pressed to attack, or fend off attacks. Arbogast and his fellows were creating a pincer that was wedging the enemy together and thus creating a kill zone.

As Arbogast fought his enemy, another charged him only to be taken through the back by a spear. Then there was another, but he too fell from a sword slash to the throat. The Woodman turned to see Amaleoda by his side, her face a terrible mask of rage. She met his eyes and gave a smile. They would have this day!

Even as they made their quick communication of looks, the raider tried to take the advantage, swiping his sword low to high, at Arbogast's midriff.

TN 18 sword ♦♦♦○○○
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 1, 4, total 9

:dmg: 5 Edge :~~: Injury: 16
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast blocks the blow with his shield almost reflexively, the weight of it on his arm having become comfortable and familiar over the years he has carried it.  Nodding his thanks to Amaleoda, he presses his attack. 

:ooc: Using Shadow-Lore again, have these guys ever been known to surrender?  I'm more than willing to take captives at this point. 

Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 3, total 13

Character sheet

tomcat

Nov 18, 2015, 12:18 PM #19 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2015, 12:21 PM by tomcat
The young woodman wondered at his attacker's resolve. Would this man die for whomever he served? News of the raids quickly passed through the forest, but little was told of the end results as to whether any raiders had been captured. One thing was certain, there was fear in the other man's eyes. Arbogast could see as the group of attackers were whittled down in numbers, the man in front of him stumbling over the dead as he backed away towards the south gate.

WHOOSH!

A great mushroom of heat, fire and smoke rose into the sky as one of the barns fell to the flames. Arbogast was now aware of everything going on around him, instead of just his opponent and his flashing sword. Animals bleated and cried, men shouted, and the wounded screamed.

It was a terrible morning.

The Woodman made to speak and offer surrender, when a spear came from his right to impale his opponent. The man slid to the ground, his eyes staring dead at Arbogast.

And with his death, it was done - at least for Arbogast and those immediately around him. Further down the line, skirmishes continued but things were wrapping up quickly for the defenders of the Black Tarn. Having naught to do and tired of the killing, Arbogast wandered over to a fence and leaned into it - his mind troubled by another awful event.

Eclecticon

Nov 18, 2015, 06:55 PM #20 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2015, 08:02 PM by Eclecticon
Arbogast's eyes are half-blinded with sweat, blood and smoke, but as he catches his breath he sees a magpie sitting on a nearby post, as if oblivious to the bloodshed and destruction taking place around it.  "Go," he says to the bird.  "Tell Radaghast what has happened this morning." 

Whether or not it understands his request, it flaps its wings and flies away, disappearing into the smoky sky before Arbogast can tell which direction it flies.  His concerns are, for now, more terrestrial.  Though he counts few dead among his kin, there are many who will need the attentions of a healer.  He gives a weary sigh that he hopes no-one else notices, then staggers to his feet to find what, if anything, is left of his stocks of healing herbs.  And Lindwine, the thought suddenly lurches up in his heart.  What has become of her?

:ooc: First things first - I recover six points of Endurance, which puts me out of danger of imminent Weariness. 
EDIT: :csu:

I'm going to the house to see just how much it's burned to the ground along with everything I own in the world that I'm not currently carrying.  I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for Lindwine. 

In the slightly longer term, I'm obviously going to strike out for Rhosgobel to report the news in person once the situation here has stabilised.  Would you like me to play out making my farewells, or should I just turn up in the other thread?

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: And now, having re-read the adventure phase thread, I see that we're kicking this one off exactly where Arbogast is.  So instead of all that stuff above, I'll stay here and help rebuild. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I will bring the two threads together in my next post.