• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 12:42 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - Whispers of the Shadow

Started by tomcat, Oct 29, 2015, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disench4nted

Bandobras

:ooc: Am buried in work at the moment so have been slow to respond. Bandy will definitely head to the inn to visit with the Hobbits. I imagined that as the second part of the Fellowship phase, but before I commit to that I wondered if it work better as part of the story arc for an Adventure phase. I'd prefer to do what works best for the game.

tomcat

Nov 02, 2015, 10:31 AM #32 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2015, 10:08 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Awesome!

A quick accounting of this Fellowship phase - this is primarily for my brain. As an accounting/financial guy, my mind always needs to audit!  ;)

CharacterCharacter
Sheet
1st Undertaking2nd UndertakingFellowship
Pool
Arbogast:csu: Remove corruption (great success); removes 4 of 5, 1 remainsEstablish holding at the Black TarnHope to full for Hale Fellowship Focus and pool
Rorin:csu: Remove corruption (great success); removes 4 of 3Establish holding (forge) in RhosgobelHope to full for Hale Fellowship Focus and pool
Bandy:csu: Remove corruption (failed - no Shadow reduction)tbdHope to full for Hale Fellowship Focus and pool
Grimbeorn:csu: Remove corruption (failed - no Shadow reduction)increased Standing from 1 to 2; heir apparent to BeornHope to full for Hale Fellowship Focus and pool
Esgalwento do*returns to Gondor; restores Ardil's weapon to his family,
gains 1 standing
tbdgain 1 Hope for Hale Fellowship Focus

* Ayrn - I did update the sheet cells for earned AP and XP...all you need do now is spend them.

Also, as Bandy inquired earlier - you guys do have the Hope Pool, which I distributed. Everyone is restored to FULL hope due to the Fellowship Focus auto-point for Bandy being Hale, and then the pool was dispersed. Esgalwen is the only one who did not gain the benefit from the Hope Pool. As a Dúnedain, she does not get to restore Hope in this fashion, but does gain the benefit of the Fellowship Focus.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 02, 2015, 10:31 AMAlso, as Bandy inquired earlier - you guys do have the Hope Pool, which I distributed. Everyone is restored to FULL hope due to the Fellowship Focus auto-point for Bandy being Hale, and then the pool was dispersed.
I'd actually taken the liberty of using a Fellowship point and my Fellowship focus to bring Arbogast's Hope back up to 15, so there's an extra Fellowship point available, if anyone wants it.  Otherwise, I'm happy to snag it for myself! 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 02, 2015, 09:45 AM:ooc: I will allow the undertaking to raise your standing, disench4nted - we will go with the assumption that Rorin was making money off of his labors at the forge, and thus reinvested back into his forge and products, thus increasing his reputation.
Without meaning to bitch and moan about the rules, my impression has always been that Standing measured a PC's reputation among their own people - hence its increasing the Tolerance rating for encounters with members of your own culture. 

Rorin's setting up a forge and using it to make useful things sounds like it might be more of a Receive Title undertaking (TOR p 199), making him a useful, tolerated outsider among the Woodmen.  This gets him a building in Rhosgobel to set up his forge and the understanding among Durin's Folk that he spends most of his time there, so he doesn't lose Standing for not heading home at Yule (or distributing some fancy presents which none of us can afford).

That said, it's probably not worth redoing his sheet over - just something to note for the future. 

Quote from: tomcat on Nov 02, 2015, 09:45 AMDon't worry about money so much - this new series of adventures in our next phase will supply you guys with treasure at last.
That reminds me - don't we have a pouch of silver pennies that we found in the High Keep of Dol Guldur?  That's probably worth a Treasure Point or two, even if it's not enough to distribute a meaningful amount to everyone. 

In fact, thinking about it, my preference would be for it to go to Bandobras, as reimbursement for troll-related expenses. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Nov 02, 2015, 02:16 PM #35 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2015, 02:18 PM by Telcontar
Rorin's Forge would actually be considered a Holding. (DoM page 8.) The rating of the Holding when outside of your culture is based upon the Valour score. If the Holding is based in ones culture, in this case the halls of dwarves, it would be based upon his Standing.

This also allows the Fellowship Undertaking of Tend Holding to see how it is going. Arbogast should probably have one as well. I was going to refer you to the book, but tricksy PCs need to stay out of that book.

Attached you will find the rules for owning and the maintenance of a holding.

Rorin could actually get the holding and instead of increase standing spend his second fellowship phase and roll on the Holding Upkeep.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Bandobras

Quote from: Eclecticon on Nov 02, 2015, 01:33 PM
Quote from: tomcat on Nov 02, 2015, 09:45 AMDon't worry about money so much - this new series of adventures in our next phase will supply you guys with treasure at last.
That reminds me - don't we have a pouch of silver pennies that we found in the High Keep of Dol Guldur?  That's probably worth a Treasure Point or two, even if it's not enough to distribute a meaningful amount to everyone.  

In fact, thinking about it, my preference would be for it to go to Bandobras, as reimbursement for troll-related expenses.

Many thanks but Bandy invoked his prosperous standing rather than use treasure points. He doesn't feel any claim to the purse. It might be more valuable to someone who comes from a frugal or martial culture.

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Nov 02, 2015, 02:16 PMRorin's Forge would actually be considered a Holding. (DoM page 8.) The rating of the Holding when outside of your culture is based upon the Valour score. If the Holding is based in ones culture, in this case the halls of dwarves, it would be based upon his Standing.

This also allows the Fellowship Undertaking of Tend Holding to see how it is going. Arbogast should probably have one as well. I was going to refer you to the book, but tricksy PCs need to stay out of that book.

Rorin could actually get the holding and instead of increase standing spend his second fellowship phase and roll on the Holding Upkeep.

:ooc: I like this...we'll change his second undertaking to this one. I will update the sheet later, or Disench4nted may if he comes back on before I am home from TKD.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Nov 02, 2015, 02:16 PMRorin's Forge would actually be considered a Holding. (DoM page 8.) The rating of the Holding when outside of your culture is based upon the Valour score. If the Holding is based in ones culture, in this case the halls of dwarves, it would be based upon his Standing.

Much neater solution.  Thanks. 

Character sheet

disench4nted

:ooc: I like it. Doug, I'll let you make the change on the character sheet just to be sure it gets done right. I'll take a look at the rules when I get a chance.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I leave it to the GMs to fill in the spots for Radagast and Thranduil, and/or change the narrative as they see fit...

Grimbeorn, hale and hearty, most rightfully the heir apparent of Beorn, was chilled to his marrow from the encounter in the blighted and bedeviled land of Dol Guldur.  As with his companions, he was haunted by the figures in the deep murk surrounding the area and the cold lamplights that beckoned them to come join them.  It is because of this and the guilt that weighed heavy on his heart at the loss of Orophin that caused him to become ever-vigilant over his company taking the rear-guard on their marches and keeping watch over the group at night though it wasn't his turn.  He was determined not to lose anyone else to a similar fate.  By the time they returned to Rhosgobel, Grimbeorn was exhausted in both body and heart.

After a couple of days recovering from the toil of journey, he came to those that remained of his companions and Radagast.  "I am leaving again for my home but first I will travel to the Woodland Realm to bring any possessions of Orophin and relay to the kind what befell his servant; it is our duty as his friend to honor him thus.  Are there any that wish to join me?  If you accompany me back to my father's home, you will be well taken care of – no need or want will be refused."  Following discussion with his companions, he seeks Radagast's counsel on the quickest, safest route to the elven kingdom as he only knew of the ancient path that bordered upon the lands north of his father's home.

[Radagast's reply]

- - - - -

The road through Mirkwood was now more ominous than it had been before, even as recent as his return prior to seeking Dol Guldur.  There was more whispering amongst the leaves, shadows flitted about in the daytime, well, when it was even discernable that it was daytime.  The nights grew steadily worse with glowing eyes, croaking, and creaking all about.  What light of the night fires gave off quickly ended not far from the flame, keeping Grimbeorn close asleep or not.  A month out of Rhosgobel, Grimbeorn was awoken in the night to scuffling and chittering, the noises of the spiders of Mirkwood.  Grabbing a burning faggot in one hand and axe in the other, he set off to escape the snare they set for him.  Try as he might though, they were too many and he too few to get away.  When all seemed lost, a hunting party of elves appeared and routed the spiders, saving Grimbeorn.

Recognizing the young man as descendant of his father and tokens of their kin, they marched him to the cavern manor of Thranduil – blindfolded of course.  In the court of the king, Grimbeorn told the tale of the ill-fated journey and the fall of the king's emissary.  The king was as inscrutable as ever, but at mention of the corpse candles, the king gave a fey look of anger and disgust.   All too well he knew of these fell spirits for they haunt the grounds of the great battles between the Dark Lord and Free Peoples.  Though elves had no fear of the spirits of men, these dark creatures were corruptions of the spirit of life.

[Thranduil's reply]

Going with the leave of the king, Grimbeorn left the Woodland Realm and headed home via the Old Road.  The forest grew darker during that trip as the king warned and it tested his mettle.  The spider webs grew dense again around the path but still never over the path as it was protected by the grace of the elves.  The eyes grew more numerous and ominous as well, it's as if they knew where he was going and who he was.  When he got to the end, he burst forth into the remaining sunlight of the day and drank in the fresh air.  The edge of the forest almost came alive as soon as he came out with a gnashing and gnawing.
That's when he heard the laughing, laughing he hadn't heard in some time.  When the laughing stopped, so did the commotion from in the forest.  He then got picked up like he was a youngster.  "Boy, it is good to see you but you must learn to make a better entrance.  I know a wizard and some dwarves who could teach you a lesson or two," playfully chided Beorn.

- - - - -

Time at home was well-spent, tending the lands and the animals, and resting but peace didn't come to him and the darkness of the Hill of Sorcery weighed upon his heart.  When the Harvest Moon came nigh, Beorn came to his son and took him to the Carrock.  "Until recently, the gifts of our ancestors came slowly but now that this is your twentieth Moon of the Hunt and your heritage will come to you fully over the next few years.  This change, I'm sorry to say is the most unpleasant as it is the trial of pain."  With that he stabbed Grimbeorn in the leg with a dagger.  "This trial will harden your body again all but the most potent of wounds."  Grimbeorn howled at the moon, his form flickering between that of a man and that of a great bear.  Beorn followed suit and changed into a bear and growled at the moon.  This is how his father showed him and his great father showed his father, and the ancestors back to the coming of Man.

- - - - -

The mead was flowing and the bread passed about, raucous laughter filled the hall of Beorn.  It took the great man a couple of heavy slams of his fist on the table to quiet the room.  "My kin, ancestors of the Bear, we are here to welcome my son, Grimbeorn, to our table – the table of Thanes."  A great cheer arose and a couple more dents to the table from the chief's hand quelled it.  "His exploits have taken him into the dark wood, defended our lands from its filth, and warred against the orcs and goblins of the mountains to the west and north.  His latest journey was to the depths of the Necromancer's stronghold and return to tell the tale, though a dark one.  His actions have also garnered favor with the Elf-King of the Woodland Realm, a feat not easily accomplished."  There was murmuring of awe and there some also of grumbling.  "Get on with it, Beorn, has he passed the trial?"

"Yes, yes, he has passed the Piercing Claw.  I now can say what you all have been waiting for: Grimbeorn, I name you Thane and my second.  You act in my name and that of our people.  And when I go the great sleep and return to our forefathers, you will lead our people and defend this land with hand and axe, tooth and claw. My son!"  Many "hear, hears" and table pounding commenced and more mead was drained from horns.  There was never a day that Beorn looked and felt so proud of his son.
It was this night that Grimbeorn was thinking of as he walked into Rhosgobel.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Nov 02, 2015, 02:16 PMRorin's Forge would actually be considered a Holding...  Arbogast should probably have one as well.
That sounds good to me - I'm guessing it would represent his home at Black Tarn Hall and his growing connections with the other residents?  In that case, starting it off at a rating of 9 (per his Standing) sounds about right to me, and I'll use my second Undertaking to set it up.  On the other hand, if we're going to visit this mysterious Brandybuck in the Fellowship phase, I'll do that instead and do Holding things next time around. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Paul,

Go ahead and we'll make that your second undertaking, too. The visit to the Easterly Inn will happen in the Adventure Phase.

tomcat

:ooc: Paul and Steve - I have updated your PC sheets with the new holdings under the Gear. I will be updating the PC template to accommodate the Holdings later tonight.

Also, Paul - think about what your holding is...a farm, fishery, apiary? Whatever... just remember, it helps to have a corresponding skill.

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Nov 02, 2015, 05:40 PM:ooc: I leave it to the GMs to fill in the spots for Radagast and Thranduil, and/or change the narrative as they see fit...Time at home was well-spent, tending the lands and the animals, and resting but peace didn't come to him and the darkness of the Hill of Sorcery weighed upon his heart.  When the Harvest Moon came nigh, Beorn came to his son and took him to the Carrock.  "Until recently, the gifts of our ancestors came slowly but now that this is your twentieth Moon of the Hunt and your heritage will come to you fully over the next few years.  This change, I'm sorry to say is the most unpleasant as it is the trial of pain."  With that he stabbed Grimbeorn in the leg with a dagger.  "This trial will harden your body again all but the most potent of wounds."  Grimbeorn howled at the moon, his form flickering between that of a man and that of a great bear.  Beorn followed suit and changed into a bear and growled at the moon.  This is how his father showed him and his great father showed his father, and the ancestors back to the coming of Man.

- - - - -

The mead was flowing and the bread passed about, raucous laughter filled the hall of Beorn.  It took the great man a couple of heavy slams of his fist on the table to quiet the room.  "My kin, ancestors of the Bear, we are here to welcome my son, Grimbeorn, to our table – the table of Thanes."  A great cheer arose and a couple more dents to the table from the chief's hand quelled it.  "His exploits have taken him into the dark wood, defended our lands from its filth, and warred against the orcs and goblins of the mountains to the west and north.  His latest journey was to the depths of the Necromancer's stronghold and return to tell the tale, though a dark one.  His actions have also garnered favor with the Elf-King of the Woodland Realm, a feat not easily accomplished."  There was murmuring of awe and there some also of grumbling.  "Get on with it, Beorn, has he passed the trial?"

"Yes, yes, he has passed the Piercing Claw.  I now can say what you all have been waiting for: Grimbeorn, I name you Thane and my second.  You act in my name and that of our people.  And when I go the great sleep and return to our forefathers, you will lead our people and defend this land with hand and axe, tooth and claw. My son!"  Many "hear, hears" and table pounding commenced and more mead was drained from horns.  There was never a day that Beorn looked and felt so proud of his son.

:ooc: Matt, this may be disjointed because I welcome Tom to also interject any posts from either Radagast or Thranduil, or I might reply with theirs a little later...then again, there may be no more to add. Bottom line, put them in order of your post progression as they come.  ;)

When the night had calmed and the hall had emptied of everyone save the few sleeping dogs, or those sleeping away their cups, Beorn looked to his son. The two men were the only that had remained sober and awake. The fire embers still glowed enough to cast a faint light on his father's face, Grimbeorn met his gaze, "What is it father?"

"Son, now that you have been officially named my heir and will someday take up the rule of our lands, I must tell you of things so that you may put your thoughts to them. In particular I speak of Viglund and his house." Grimbeorn knew the name and had even had run-ins with the Viglundings. Beorn continued, "Things have become even more heated between our clans, as I will not tolerate the taking of any more slaves. Nor will I accept the presence of Viglar, Viglund's son, hunting within our northern reaches. They may be kin by blood, but they are not our people. It might come a time that I need you here to stand with us, so if you must away once more, keep your homeland in your heart and listen for its calling. Most assuredly, there will be a need."