• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 12:20 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

OOC THREAD

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2015, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Thank you both for your kind words!   Doug, I would appreciate you taking the reins again, even if it's only for one adventure.  I'm starting a new job on Monday and I'm frantically trying to come to grips with workers' compensation legislation.

I'll post a rundown of what was happening with Beorn when I get a minute, but fatherly duties call.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

So: This is a sketch of my thinking on Beorn and the goings-on inside him.  My take on it was built on the idea that Beorn's shape-changing ability comes from a spirit not unlike that of the Werewolf of Mirkwood, in that it's something extrinsic to the man and not 100% under his control. 

It was Tom's post about spirit-beast allies of the proto-Northmen that really crystallised for me the idea that the bear-spirit might have been corrupted by the Shadow over the long years of its existence, to the point where it might be actively hostile if not kept in check by someone sufficiently strong-willed. 

This, combined with his notable vegetarianism (which in itself suggests a geas or something of the sort) means that he was in a position like someone trying to kick an addiction - having to carefully monitor and moderate his behaviour lest he let loose something he can't control.  That makes Oromë sort of like an AA sponsor - Beorn's had to check in before from time to time. 

But the Valar operate on a timeframe completely different to that even of the Elves, so why take an interest in this guy specifically?  Well, what if they didn't?  What if this is a project that Beorn's kin have been working on for many generations?  After all, Beorn himself suggested that Grimbeorn might get swept up in it.  I played it as him not wanting that burden for his son.  I also couldn't find a canonical indication that Grimbeorn turned out to be a skinchanger like his dad, which suggests that the project ended with Beorn. 

So: Beorn inherits the bear-spirit from his own father or some other close kinsman, lives alone for most of his life as he wrestles it into submission (the spirit already having been somewhat tamed by previous generations, which is why he's able to build a house and cultivate beehives rather than living up in the mountains).  When word comes from Oromë that he's passed the test of being able to use the spirit to fight the powers of darkness without losing control and going over to them, he gets his last test: set yourself up as a chieftain of the people around you - if you can take the stresses of rulership over them for 15 years without the bear going on a destructive rampage, then the it will have been tamed and redeemed, and become no longer a potential danger to the Free Peoples. 

I don't know that any of this is more than 'canon-adjacent', but it made for a good story - if only in my own head.

Character sheet

tomcat

That's the best thing about working within an epic tale - we can take the things only hinted at, or unsaid, and interpret and weave our own ideas into the primary theme. As long as the ending outcome is not affected, we get the chance to enhance the story and not necessarily change it.

So great job on all of it! I have often wondered about Beorn and his powers, but never put my mind as to where or what they came from - so, kudos to you!

As I stated above, I looked in the book (to see if the image you had added to the story was in there, as I had not remembered it) and I see the chapter you just played lands around 2975 in the timeline of DoM. I also see where you state our next chapter will be in 2960. Were you cherry-picking stuff out of the book and placing it as you pleased, or did we play through the stuff previously presented but in earlier years?

Let me know where you were with that and I will commence a build on our next chapter.

Good luck with the new job!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

I absolutely ran that adventure out of order.  I had intended it to be an outro for Grimbeorn, but Matt gazumped me. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Dec 11, 2022, 02:37 PM #1924 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2022, 08:21 PM by Eclecticon
While we're all waiting for Doug (no pressure, mate!) I wondered how holiday plans and prep are all going on your side of the world?  We've just set up our tree and we're waiting for the next big storm to arrive and drive away the heat.  Hopefully tomorrow.  I'm frantically running around trying to get pressies for my wife and various parts of our extended family, though thankfully I've got the kids covered already. 

Firstborn discovered D&D last year and hasn't looked back - she's creating her own super-high fantasy setting with a friend.  Secondborn is into both archery and skating, and I'm waiting for the day I have to run him to the emergency room after an ill-advised attempt to combine the two.  My wife is still plugging away with her masters degree but it's starting to seem like she'll actually be a qualified early childhood teacher one of these days.  She certainly loved her last placement, and she relates well to small kids. 

How 'bout you guys?

Character sheet

tomcat

That's great stuff, Paul! It's interesting to see warm weather Christmases. This year it looks like ours will just be cold and rainy.

So far at my end, I have the tree decorated. Treats for wife and kids are starting to roll in via Santa Bezos - or courtesy of my own two feet - and the dog seems to be the most tuckered out of all of us!

That is cool about your kids and their interests! Congrats to your wife in her efforts to finish her degree!

I am sure I will report more as the day gets closer.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Matt is on my Discord server, but I invite Paul and Tom to join if they wish. I know we all had the chance to do a face-to-face a few years back, and maybe we can arrange another via my channel.

Matt and I are on there in the Roll20 room every OTHER Thursday, but I am in there EVERY Tuesday night with my other gaming group. Feel free to stop in any time and say a hello!

DJ's 501st Discord Channel

Telcontar

So the impact of Beorn's death on tue Beornings is something I feel we should address narratively. Its been on the back burner of my mind but I thought while we are in a slow point we could crowd source some ideas.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

I imagine there would be some machinations in the background by some who don't cotton to Beorn or his son now in his seat.  Likely there is need for some final quelling and consolidation/unification needed between them and Vig remnant.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Yeah. This is the very first succession so what does that look like, is it contested?

Does this tie them closer together as a people or are there splinter elements? Im thinking Stoneford and the werewolf slaying will help knit the patchwork together.

We have also introduced two different views on spirit form, a possession and a spirit guide. What does that mean and where does it go? 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

Well the different versions were only concocted by the TOR writers because nowhere in the canon that I know of that implied spirit projection in animal form as opposed to transfiguration into beast form.  Possibly based upon what happened to the wolves/wargs that attacked the Fellowship on their way to the gate of Moria.

I think we're better off dealing with the ramifications interpersonal and political instead of delving into the nature of the powers.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

As regards the succession, I had always planned that Grimbeorn's Standing at the point when he took over would dictate how he was received.  He was at Standing 4 when he went into Mirkwood to talk to spiders, and he came out of it with some bling worth enough on its own to buy him up to 5, so if we're going with that then the common folk certainly regard him as a hero and the thegns (at least for the most part) see him as an equal.  My guess is that the initial transfer of power has gone smoothly, especially as Wulfdan Broken-jaw is still out there as an example for anyone getting ideas about rebelling.

That's not to say that nobody is, of course, just that they're planning to be smarter than that guy when they take their shot.

Character sheet

Telcontar

I think, as a party, we need to maybe take a look at hanging threads and try to tue some of them up. I'm thinking mainly Tyrant's Hill. However, the Vigs and the captive Ranger still need exploring as well.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

After more than a decade, the captive Ranger is, one way or another, likely beyond rescue.  But I do feel that we owe it to Esgalwen to look into it further.

Character sheet

tomcat

I think that that story arc has long dried out. We don't need to pursue it as it adds no relevance to our story now. It was always meant for a side story to fill some adventure phases, and bind the Gondor character to the main story.