• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 08:15 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Immolation!

Started by tomcat, Oct 04, 2005, 06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrotar

Oct 06, 2005, 10:33 AM #15 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2005, 10:45 AM by sdrotar
Willpower Roll (TN 6)
Roll(2d6)+2:5,1,+2 Total:8 - SUCCESS

Observe (Spot) Roll (TN 15)
Roll(2d6)+5:3,6,+5 Total:14 - FAIL (so close!)

Dirnhael saw the impetous but brave Daelhun spur his horse towards the gate.
He gestured to Fengel - the horse-lord could close the gap quickly, and his skill on horseback could help speed the Dwarves to safety. Daelhun would need his help.

Edrahil was wounded but still potent, and Durgil was a fine archer.
Dirnhael's mind raced. If Durgil could attack at range, and Edrahil had enough strength left to call upon his powers, perhaps they could distract the dragon and give Daelhun and Fengel enough time to rescue Lunduf and Nain from the dragon's flame. He knew that Durgil's arrows would be little but an annoyance to the creature, but hopefully, an annoyance would be enough.
"Find a safe spot on this ridge," he said to the Elf and Durgil. "Do what you can to draw this worm's attention away from our friends!"
He took off his full quiver and bow, and handed them with a nod to the young archer.
"In case you need them, Durgil - do not be frugal with your volleys."

The dragon was stunningly powerful, but it wasn't particularly fast, and it had wedged itself in the castle wall. While it was looking either at the dwarves and their rescuers, or back at Durgil and Edrahil... it came to him.

He turned to Camentir.
"One more ride, sir? The dragon's tail sits in the open. Ride with me and we may be able to wound it before it is aware of us." Dirnhael didn't wait for a response - Daelhun and Fengel were already off - they were out of time.

He turned his horse towards the castle, and looked back at Durgil and Edrahil. "Wait until we are near the outer wall and obscured from the worm's sight. Then let loose your assault."

Dirnhael gave his steed a nudge with his heel and rode down the hill at speed, the increasingly cool steel of Anduring in his hands providing some comfort from the roiling fear in the pit of his stomach.

OOC: GoB - looks like you posted while I was writing mine. Let me know which course of action you'd like to take, and I'll change my post if need be.
Palandil - you did, too - but we were on the same page! ;)
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

GandalfOfBorg

OOC: oops! LOL  Durgil will follow the direction of Dirnhael.

Durgil pulls up and gladly accepts the replenishment of arrows. Set for the task, he rides with Edrahil in the direction of Dirnhael's, bow and arrow in hand ready for the time to strike.  (will use the RC roll from last post)  Noticing Edrahil's state as they rode, "If we look to be successful in our distraction, bolt to the woods.  I shall follow as I may to ensure the beast's attention is held.  You will be needed elsewhere as your abilities shall be the salvation of the injured."

Once they are set in position, the young Dunadan simply queries, "Are you ready?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

OOC: You guys rock!! I am digging your plan - I will be giving you another post right after dinner and I hope you all like it. Be ready for action!

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Palandil

With a nod to Dirnhael, Fengel races toward the dwarves.

tomcat

Oct 06, 2005, 05:47 PM #19 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 05:06 AM by tomcat
Scatha came on, squeezing between the donjon and the southern outer wall his serpentine body squeezed but not impeded. Still, as Dirnhael presumed, it slowed him down. But not enough to allow the Dwarves to make cover. The Dragon's head poked around through the gate and his eyes blazed from the firelight.

"STOP!" he commanded and Nain felt his limbs lock up, no longer answering his own command.

OOC: Scatha casts Spellbinding TN 10
Willpower +11
Roll(2d6)+12: 4,6,+12 Total:22 SUCCESS - Nain needs to roll an Opposed Willpower test TN 22

No one else post anything please, until after I resolve this test and finish the narrative... thanks! ;D

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

Oct 07, 2005, 02:29 AM #20 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 05:07 AM by tomcat
Willpower Roll TN 22 (Ha!)
Roll (2d6)+3 5,3+3=11 Disasterous Failure.

Narrator Edit - Remember that as a Dwarf, you have the Racial ability Hardness of Mind that provides a +2 to any Willpower tests to Intimidate or Domination type effects. I personally think the spell Spellbinding falls into these categories.

Unfortunately, even if you spent all of your Courage at this point, you would still be stuck.

tomcat

Oct 07, 2005, 07:15 AM #21 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 05:08 AM by tomcat
Lûnduf who had been hanging over Nain's shoulder now slipped to the wooden planks of the bridge. The wounded Dwarf could see that his friend was ensorcelled and was unable to move, but he could hear Nain yelling... "RUN! RUN!" [Spellbinding still allows you to talk]

The Dragon once more drew a heavy breath and the fires within kindled.

Edrahil and the three Men could see the Dwarves and each wondered why they had stopped and Lûnduf now only kneeled upon the bridge. The Sindar, knowledgeable of the arcane, suddenly realized what was the matter and his heart froze.

"NO! RUN! YOU MUST RUN!" he cried.

The dragon hoisted its head and its mouth fell open ready to bathe the bridge and its occupants in his lethal flame. Lûnduf, seeing the danger to both he and his incapacitated friend, knew of only one thing to do. With the last bit of his strength, he grabbed Nain and shoved forward causing his rigid kin to fall towards the edge of the bridge. Nain hit the side, the wind knocked out of him and he felt himself fall off and splash into the water below - the freezing water saving his life. [Nain will be freed of the spell's effect by the sharp chill water]

Lûnduf was not so fortunate. Heaving into Nain, his boot caught a patch of ice and he fell sprawling forward, still on the bridge. The Dwarf looked up as Scatha breathed. From their vantage point some 45 meters away, Edrahil and the three Men saw Lûnduf disappear in a cone of flame.

Dirnhael and Camentir rounded the edge of the broken castle wall and peered inside. They had needed to dismount as their horses were much too skittish to continue and though they feared they no longer had an advantage of speed, the animals could not be trusted.

The Dragon's great form was across the courtyard, before the donjon and the gates. Terror began to creep into both of their hearts and then the fell-beast breathed a gout of flame over the bridge and their Dwarven companion.

Seeing Lunduf die, Edrahil became absolutely enraged and his incantation took effect. He would catch this dragon's attention and keep it. It would hopefully allow enough time for Camentir and Dirnhael to deliver a blow that would save them all.

"MORGOTH'S WYRM! YOU HAVE TAKEN ONE OF OUR COMPANIONS AND FOR THIS YOU SHALL FACE OUR WRATH!" But then the Sindar began to envision a man, not unlike Fengel, and the man was in a great struggle with a dragon. The dragon was lame. [Foresighted]

"HA! HA!" laughed Edrahil, "YOU HAVE SECURED YOUR OWN DOOM IN A NOT TOO DISTANT DAY! COME LET US ENGAGE!"

OOC:Edrahil casts his spell [I need to roll]...

I will need to finish this in a while, sorry! My wife is calling for me to take her and her friend out for the afternoon. Feel free to give me your upcoming actions, intitiative first. We will be going into a normal Round-by-Round melee with Scatha

Wiseman

Initiative: 6 :(

Seeing the immense flame shoot forth from the terrible wyrm Daelhun's shielded arm immediately shot up to protect his face, the meager buckler would have have even protected his arm but it was a reflex to the terrible power that the wyrm posessed. 

Observe (Spot): To see Nain: Roll(2d6)+8: 3,6,+8 Total:17
OOC: Not sure if this is required so i rolled just in case.  I also assume that the water is not too deep for the horse...

Seeing the dwarf, the reason he was riding TOWARDS a massive dragon, Daelhun spurred on his horse yet again going to the spot of the fallen dwarf.  Daelhun reached for Nain and heaved him up onto the horse with all his might.

Strength: Roll(2d6)+2: 6,6,+2 +5 Total:19

OOC: I'll just assume that is the end of the stuff I can do this round, otherwise ride like the wind.

Palandil

OOC:Wow, I was just developing a kinship with Lunduf and I feel a little heart stricken at his death.

Fengel's eyes grow wide as he reins in his steed.  He could not believe that his friend had just perished before his eyes.  He was not quick enough to save him.  Then he remembered that Lunduf had pushed Nain into the moat and he was still in grave danger.  Trusting that his comrades will distract the dragon, Fengel rides now with all speed to the aid of Nain.

Initiative: Roll(2d6)+3: 2,5,+3 Total:10
Ride Test: Roll(2d6)+9: 5,2,+9 Total:16

GandalfOfBorg

Init - (6+4)+2=12

Enraged and emboldened with Edrahil at his side, let's fly arrow in a bit of haste.  The shot, aimed for the beast's head, misses and sails off, crossing the path of the dragon line of sight into the distance.  Cursing his luck, he quickly grabs another and prepares to fire again.

RC: Bows (Longbow) - (2+1)+8+2=13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Initiative: 5,1,+2 = 8

Stunned by the actions of his companion and then the icy chill of the freezing water Nain had barely stood again when he spotted the burned shell that used to be his friend.  One might have seen a tear sliding down his cheek were it not for the chill water that was leaving it's own trails.  Lunduf had saved his life and died for it.  The Dragon would pay.

Nain was clambering toward the shore when he felt himself being lifted bodily off the ground and onto the back of a horse.  One of the humans that had ridden to save their captain he could only assume, they all look alike from the back.  He hoped this man wouldn't suffer the same fate as Lunduf for his bravery.  Nain held on, still furious with the Dragon and with himself for being too terrified of the creature to do anything else.

sdrotar

Oct 07, 2005, 11:13 AM #26 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 05:14 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Palandil on Oct 07, 2005, 08:07 AM
OOC:Wow, I was just developing a kinship with Lunduf and I feel a little heart stricken at his death.

OOC: Me, too - Lunduf's been around since the beginning... nearly two years ago now? Wow. I feel kind of depressed (sniffle). At least he went out with heroic style...

Initiative roll:

Roll(2d6)+2:4,4,+2 Total:10

Dirnhael was carefully manuevering around the massive and deadly beast when he heard Edrahil - the Elf had never seemed so... emotional. Then his words hit him: one of his friends was dead. He was too late.
Was it Nain, who had already lost his brother to another vile beast in these lands? What a tragedy to befall one family!
Or was it... Dirnhael could barely think it...  Lunduf, his companion since the day he left Tharbad so long ago?

As it all sunk in to Dirnhael's mind, he knew that Lunduf was dead. He knew that Edrahil respected Nain, too - but Edrahil's sorrow and rage clearly came from the loss of a dearer friend.
Dirnhael quailed. The death of his close Dwarven friend would be a wound to Dirnhael's heart that would never heal... another one...

Anduring grew icy in his hands; now almost painful to the touch, and Dirnhael knew that he would honor Lunduf best not by collapsing in grief, but rather by avenging him and saving his kin.
"I swear it," he said under his breath.

Rage began to swell within him as he motioned to Camentir to stand ready at the dragon's tail.
As for himself, he would move farther along.
The blood in Dirnhael's veins ran as cold as the ancient blade in his hand. For the first time in his life, Dirnhael Dunedain wanted to kill.

The dragon's tail no longer concerned him - Dirnhael wanted it's heart.

OOC: OK. Here's my plan - Dirnhael is moving along the right side of the dragon towards it's belly. As Edrahil has already captured the dragon's attention, Scatha will likely turn left towards Edrahil and Durgil, and raise his head to peer over the wall at them.  When it turns, Camentir will hack with all his might at the tail, likely causing Scatha to rise even higher and to the left to look at his tail. That will leave his underbelly exposed and wide open for Dirnhael to plunge into it with Anduring as Scatha's attention will be diverted to two places simultaneously - at his rear (Camentir) and high and to the left (Edrahil/Durgil) - both away from (and hopefully unaware of) the danger Dirnhael presents right next to it (That doesn't even take into account Fengel, Daelhun and Nain; who also have the dragon's attention!). Either way, this hopefully provides more than enough time for the two riders to scoop up Nain and get out of Scatha's range. With any luck, he'll be wounded badly enough that we can make some inroads one way or the other.
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Oct 07, 2005, 03:40 PM #27 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 05:13 AM by tomcat
Edrahil casts his spells:
ACTION 1 - Display of Power TN 10
Willpower +6, The Art +2, Wounded -5, Active Spell -3
Roll(2d6)+0: 5,6,+0 Total:11 ... thank goodness!!

ACTION 2 - Intimidate (Power)
Intimidate +6, Specialty +2, Wounded -5, MB +10
Roll(2d6)+13: 5,1,+13 Total:19

Scatha's Opposed Willpower test
Willpower +11
Roll(2d6)+11: 3,2,+11 Total:16 (1 Courage) SUCCESS - Scatha is not too impressed with Edrahil

I will be starting a new thread with a compilation of all of your posts and some new stuff