• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 10:08 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Whispers on the Barrow Downs

Started by tomcat, Feb 15, 2014, 03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

"Then let us return to the fire and let the dead be for now," said Durgil.  He had a queer tone to his voice as this place and area reminded him too much of other places where darkness had taken form.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

"It bodes ill that a man would leave his livelihood like this to rot along the road."

Nain looked at the ground around the wagon to see if there were anything that might give them an idea of what happened.

TN - TBD Observe (Spot) +6
:00: 2d6+8 : 1, 2 + 8, total 11

tomcat

There was little in the way of tracks on the ground around the wagon - even to the eyes of the Sindar. Nain smoothed his beard as his eyes wandered over the grasses until the stopped on the old dirt trail that meandered off the main road. His gaze followed it east until it disappeared in the rolling hills that even now were beginning to glow with the setting of the sun.

Edrahil matched the Dwarves gaze, "Things bode ill here... that is certain."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

"we should not leave the road while the light is dying." The Dunadan looked around at the surrounding countryside.

"There is little wood here as well. The owner of the wagon is not coming back for it, let us break it up to have wxtra wood for the fire. We may have need for a high and hot one, and It would be best to have enough here on hand to see us through till morning. Master Nain, would you lend me a hand?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Feb 23, 2014, 01:05 PM #19 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2014, 01:07 PM by tomcat
Agreeing with Celdrahil, the companions all lended a hand in the unloading and breaking down of the wagon. It was not old, but still it was rather dilapidated and came apart with relative ease when the axe was applied. Soon the fire was raging with new fuel and the night settled over the Tyrn Gorthad. Bright stars shone above in the summer sky and a comfortable breeze blew. Each member of the Company would take their turn at keeping watch though the road had yet to show any travelers save themselves, but still it was better to be cautious.

The campsite had proven a good one and the men and dwarf rested, although strange shadows filled their dreams. Even while awake and sitting watch, the companions each felt that they were being observed and that shadows moved about, under the starlight. With the morning light, they quickly broke their fast, saddled up and then moved on south.

:ooc: More to come.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Celdrahil rose early and walked around the lutside of the camp site. He lloked for an passing traces of things that may have circled the camp outside the sight of the sentries. The road was disturbing him in ways that he ahd not felt here in the north. The sickly itching and sourfeel that he felt upon the marches of the land of the black enemy near his home were present in small portions here.

Returning to camp he bundled up the remaning wood so that each companion could carry a small portion tomtheir next camp site that evening.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Stefan

As he packed Nain's thoughts kept returning to the farmer.  The poor man was probably dead and they had no way to get word to his family of what happened to him or his cart. 

"Should we check the trail to see if we can figgur' out what happened te the man?  We need to make haste but I don't feel right leaving without at least tryin' te help him."

GandalfOfBorg

"By the looks of his wares, he's been gone for far too long for us to do anything than maybe bury his bones.  Mithrandir's message and the rogue's flight was in haste, we should press on," offered Durgil.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

"Were they the bones of your father or brother would you still think that the old wizard's note was more important?"

tomcat

:ooc:  ;D LOVE THE INTER-CHARACTER RP'ING!

GandalfOfBorg

"When my people, not just my kin, are at stake, yes," replied Durgil.  "We are on this path for the greater good.  Mithrandir has longer sight than we do, which is why his counsel and warnings are beyond reproach.  We honor the dead and pray he makes his way to the Halls of Mandos but we are trying to prevent further deaths by the darkness that shadows this land."
Gwaithlim Weapons

sdrotar

"Durgil is right; Gandalf sees things that we cannot, and we must press on with all due haste."
He waited a moment.

"But Nain's words also ring true: how can we lay claim to a higher purpose if that blinds us from aiding those in need?"
The truth was that the wagon's owner was likely dead, unless he or she had successfully fled the Downs unencumbered. He said as much before continuing.

"An hour cannot hurt. We have the daylight now; we can spend a small bit of it looking for clues," he said. "If we find none worth following, then we move on."
He looked to both Durgil and Nain, hoping he had struck a bargain between the two.

"Agreed?"

If so, Dirnhael will attempt to find and follow any tracks leading from the wagon.
:00: Track +3
Rolled 2d6+3 : 1, 5 + 3, total 9
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

Telcontar

Celdrahil looked at the road and then gazed into the hills.
" There is the faintest hint of darkness here. It feels in a small way like the ash and offness of the marches of Gondor. This maybe more important than it seems, Mithrandir sees far, but not all things. Let us spare an hour and follow the trail. We are mounted and can return in greater haste to the road. This errand has been full of encounters that were not by mere chance, we can make up the time on the road easily enough."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"Agreed," resigned the young Dunadan.  Ensuring he was properly girded and drawing his bow with arrow notched, "Split up into 3 groups -- Nain and I, Dirnhael and Celdrahil, and Edrahil?  Meet back here in an hour?"

:ooc:
To find any tracks...
:00:
Observe (Spot) -  2d6+5 : 2, 5 + 5, total 12

Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

"That seems fair.  I remember a day almost a year ago now when a group such as this came upon a similar scene.  Had they chosen not to investigate, I would be dead and the bones of my brother and I would still be there on the side of that road.  A great man helped me then and, well, I'd like to be able to do the same."

Nain clapped Durgil on the back.

"You won't regret this my friend, even if we don't find him, doing right is its own reward."