• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 04:29 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

SCENE 1 - Return of old friends, start of new troubles

Started by tomcat, Jan 20, 2014, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Celdrahil pondered for a moment, forces did in deed seem to be mustering at Bree.

"I know not which is the best path, but your arrival here gives me pause. Let us return to the King's Rest and pass the night and see what counsel the day brings."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

sdrotar

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 07, 2014, 04:15 PM
It had not taken long for the two men to gather their things and mount up. The rain continued to pour, but an urgency had fallen on Dirnhael. He had quickly penned a message to Ioreth that his business in Fornost, and now Bree, would keep him longer, but he would be home as soon as was possible. His brother, Durgil, still wondering what the cryptic vision meant followed suit and sent word to his own wife, Gléowyn...

They found the North-South road and turned their horses south.

"I am not prone to visions," Dirnahel said softly, looking deeply into the dark, "though nightmares oft come to pass at night. The voices I heard were clear; Edrahil's and Gandalf's."
He shook his head, as if to clear it, then looked at Durgil.
"I know not what awaits us in Bree, but I am glad that you will face it at my side."
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The now quartet turned their horses back south towards the inn. The gatekeep let out a sigh at his disposition only to be rewarded when the Sindar turned, "Hurry home, father, and take this to your good wife for the trouble." Madoc saw something move through the night to land in the old man's hands. The gatekeeper looked up with surprise and wonderment in his face, and then he smiled. "Good night, good sirs!"

The rogue wondered at the treasure that was just dispensed to the old man from an Elf - one of the Eldar! What kind of people was he now dealing with? What were the possibilities for riches that were now before him? What were the dangers? He spurred on Gandalf's horse and followed the rest of the group. A part of him spoke to the other that maybe the old man might need a visit in the wee hours. He shook away such thoughts. That was his old ways...surely he had now changed, as had his fortunes?

Celdrahil pushed open the door to the King's Rest and was greeted by the soft light, warmth, and rich smells of beer and food. The group followed him in and they found themselves a place to sit. The barmaid saw they had returned and came to them, "The weather made you get the better of yourselves?"

Madoc took the lead, "T'is true that the travel proved the worst of choices, but you certainly proved the best of decisions." She smiled her smile she gave to all of the men who tried to solicit her interests, and then she saw the Eldar. The young woman had never before beheld one of the Sindar folk, though she had heard many tales. Her smile faded into a thoughtful stare to which Edrahil smiled back. "My dear lady, we would like your house's best spiced wine and then a couple rooms. Could you see to that?"

She nodded and gave a slight smile and then turned back towards the bar counter and kitchen. It was there that the master of the house laughed with a group of his customers. Once there she spoke to him, pointing to the table as she did. He nodded and spoke words of his own and she returned. "The Master Hanley says it will be four silver pennies for the rooms and dinner. If you wish to leave your wet things we will see they are dried by morning."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Hey guys, RP as you'd like but I promise this is not going to be dragged out waiting for everyone to arrive in Bree. I am down with the flu right now and so have little energy except to give you guys a heads up. I will post tomorrow and move our story along.

Stefan

Nain was only too happy to shed his now soaked traveling cloak and hand it to the human lass along with the silver pennies that she'd requested. 

"Thank ye' Miss."

Then he moved off to sit next at the table next to the fire to dry the rest of his cloths.  As the others joined him at their table he spoke to the elf.

"It's nice to see ya again, And Thanks to ye fer convincing Celdrahil that this weather isn't fit for man of beast. You'd mentioned getting a message when we met at the gate, how long ago was that?"

GandalfOfBorg

"Fear not," the young Dunadan said smiling in the dark.  "The ways of elves and wizards are a wonder and mystery.  Though we are likely to catch much grief for our absence by our fairer halfs."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Edrahil thought for a moment at Nain's question, "It was three days ago. I was already on the road east when I heard him call to me. Naught was said of the need, only that I was to come to Bree."

"Three days!" cried Madoc, "T'was four nights ago that Gandalf came upon me in my camp. It took me three days to ride here."

"Well than certainly Gandalf has an objective. What is this message he had you bear?"

Madoc drew forth a parchment from his leather tunic. It was folded and a Tengwar G-rune was written on the outer fold. The rogue handed it to Edrahil, a sudden trust within him that he had not felt prior. The Sindar looked at it, "It is Gandalf's writing to be sure, but he had said this was for Dirnhael. Perhaps we should wait until he arrives for us to unseal it."

The companions all agreed and so the message was re-secured, but this time in the hands of the Elf. They chatted into the night until tongues were tired, and then made for the rooms they had rented.

Two days past.

Celdrahil began to fret. Were they sure that Gandalf had sent word to Dirnhael and Durgil, too? If not, they had lost three days of travel, thus far. The Dúnadan began to demand that they think again about leaving Bree, but Edrahil was adamant that time would prove their wait a success. Celdrahil was at least able to convince the group to have a watcher on the road. If the men did not come south within another day, the nobleman said he would leave - even if it was just him alone.

But something did happen that abated Celdrahil's concerns. On the third evening since Madoc had ridden into town, while the companions sat and supped on mutton chops, a new arrival pushed open the door to the King's Rest. He was tall and had golden hair that fell to his shoulders; a trimmed beard covered his face and jawline. Of the four companions, three immediately recognized the man - it was Fengel of the Éothraim.

They all rose to greet him and inquire about his purpose in Bree and like his companions, his reasons were the same. "It was five days past that a dream came to me while I lay sleeping. Mithrandir the wizard appeared to me and said I was needed. He muttered one name, Bree, and the vision faded. I set out that morning."

It would be sundown the next day that the remaining two companions would ride into Bree; Dirnhael and Durgil arrived and made their way to the inn.

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil walks into the familiar sights, sounds, and smells of the inn.  Before joining with Dirnhael, he had given this place his patronage many times while on patrol on the southern borders of the realm.  Looking over at one of the great tables, he sees companions new and old including the brother of his lady of favor.  "My, my brother.  Come see what the warg has dragged in!  It seems that Mithrandir has spared none of our friends from this summons!"  Removing his travelling cloak, his whispers.  "But I see him not, ill tidings this is."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Stefan

The days of idleness had worn on him as much as they had the knight.  It wasn't that he was in a hurry to be on the road again, but he wasn't one for sitting and waiting patiently for things to be done.  He didn't realize how sorely his patience had been tested till he felt the excitement flooding him at the appearance of Durgil at the threshold.  He tipped up the beer that he'd been nursing, finishing it in one gulp and slammed the cup down on the table.

"Well, it looks like they got the old wizard's message after all."

sdrotar

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Feb 10, 2014, 11:34 AM
"Fear not," the young Dunadan said smiling in the dark.  "The ways of elves and wizards are a wonder and mystery.  Though we are likely to catch much grief for our absence by our fairer halfs."

Dirnhael couldn't help but laugh at the last. "Then we'll grab a few pints in Bree, and give them something to be truly coarse about!"

Quote from: tomcat on Feb 10, 2014, 12:07 PM
But something did happen that abated Celdrahil's concerns. On the third evening since Madoc had ridden into town, while the companions sat and supped on mutton chops, a new arrival pushed open the door to the King's Rest. He was tall and had golden hair that fell to his shoulders; a trimmed beard covered his face and jawline. Of the four companions, three immediately recognized the man - it was Fengel of the Éothraim.

"Fengel!"
Dirnhael's eyes widened in disbelief and brightened as he grabbed the shoulders of one of his dearest friends.
"What brings you here -- all of us here -- on this night?"
LOTR Characters:Dirnhael, Vári
ST Characters:Stonn, Ramos
SW Character: Caden Whitesun

tomcat

"Riddles from a wizard, it would seem," answered the Éothraim, while returning the embrace. "But the answer to this riddle is him," Fengel pointed to the man that Durgil and Dirnhael did not recognize. "Edrahil tells me that this man, Madoc of Cardolan, has brought a message from Gandalf the Wanderer. A message for you, Dirnhael."

More intrigue crept into Dirnhael's mind, but first more pleasantries were made. Not only was his Sindarin friend and councilor here, but also Nain the Dwarf whom they had not seen since the previous summer, in the far off lands of Rhovanion. Finally Durgil and Dirnhael greeted Celdrahil, their fellow Dúnadan out of Gondor.

When all of the greetings and telling of current affairs had been done, the companions found themselves a quiet table in a private sitting room of the inn. There Master Hanley had them served food and ale and they were at last able to make their council. The note from Gandalf that Madoc had brought north was drawn out and handed to Dirnhael. He saw the characteristic rune that was the wizard's calling card, and opened it to reveal a thin spidery script. As Dirnhael read it, it was as if he could hear the old man's voice in his head.

Dear Dirnhael,

I hope this letter finds you well. I unfortunately am not. It would seem that as I write this a darker will is at work to once more bring the North under a shadow.

It is long since you've been home. The land of your birth - its people fragmented, the blood of Isildur long expired, and devastated by sickness - is now under threat by an even greater trouble. Not only does it threaten your homeland, but if Cardolan should fall into complete ruin than Arthedain, your newly adopted home, could be at risk.

Kin-strife! Famine! Disease! And a darkness out of Rhudaur. You must return home. You and your companions must break the power that grows under a new menace. More I will tell you, but for now I must move. The shadows of men pursue!

In Good Faith,

G

Stefan

"Well, what does it say.  We've been sitting here for days, the least ye could do is tell us what was so important."

tomcat

:ooc: I think it is safe to Shawn would not have Dirnhael withhold any information.

Dirnhael heard the Dwarf and realized he had read the letter to himself and all his friends' faces now stared at him. He quickly started the short note over, reading it out loud.

Fengel was the first to reply, "It is like my home - you cannot leave it without fear of the Shadows of old tainting it for your return."

GandalfOfBorg

Durgil ponders the message for a bit.  "Madoc, where is it that you encountered Mithrandir?  Can you describe the place?"
Gwaithlim Weapons