• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 07:39 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Episode 1: Round up on Salliche

Started by tomcat, Dec 30, 2012, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Quote from: sdrotar on Jan 16, 2013, 10:43 AM
"I like flying inside, thanks." The jetpacks were cheap enough that he considered it, but he figured he had a better mode of transportation, anyway. "My Princess is all I need. That and this," he said tapping his holster. "I'm not much for military gear; either using it or having it used on me."

She shook her head and smiled slightly. "That's too bad for you, 'cause you're hanging around someone who's looking to start an uprising against the toughest military around. You had best get used to it or pull out now while you're still ahead. But I have a feeling you won't. There's something else inside of you, more than a mere smuggler. And I'm learning to trust those feelings."

Posterboy

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 11, 2013, 08:45 PM

Loryll snapped her fingers at some unseen individuals and two men came out into the light. The woman gave them instructions to roll in a series of numbered crates. There was a whine as a conveyor lift began to run. The two men rode the lift up and then proceeded to roll large, lockable shiping crates onto the deck. A few moments later they were lowered to the garage floor and the crates were brought over to present to the companions. Loryll opened them and revealed military hardware, still in its packaging from the production facility from whence it all came. She lifted a tube launcher and handed it to Kaida, "This is a Merr-Sonn PLX-2M Portable Missile Launcher - it is shoulder fired and can be loaded with a magazine of six missiles." She pointed to the crate where the ammunition was safely stowed in form fitted packing foam. "They are primarily for smaller vehicles with weak armor, or anti-personnel, but if enough are fired at a target, they'll stop it." Another crate was opened, "I have frags, mines, smoke, ion... you tell me what you want. All of this crate is anti-personnel. That crate over there is anti-vehicle."

Abby was more than a bit overwhelmed at the sight of all these weapons. Her runs with Pash were rarely legal, but they hardly required battle droids and missile launchers. What have you gotten yourself into, Abby-dear, she wondered as she wandered around the crates with Kaida.

It wasn't so much that she was scared... well, maybe she was. But it was also the realization that the people she was binding herself to were absolutely serious about this mission and they were willing to risk all -- ship, imprisonment... Heck! Who are we kidding? If the Empire catches up with this stuff, we'll be shot on sight.

While the Arkanian was not one for guns and violence, she knew tech. Sliding the her visor over her eyes, Abby perused Loryll's goods, accessing her database for information on weapons and items as the merchant called them out. "That missile launcher might come in handy," she said quitely. Abby's mind worked in overdrive, trying to think what other equipment would come in handy...

tomcat

Jan 19, 2013, 04:43 AM #47 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 04:48 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Posterboy on Jan 16, 2013, 06:10 PM

• Can the hold of the Aegis handle a huge vehicle? (3x3 sq) ... just asking...  ;D
  • Am I allowed to assume that Kaida and Abby had a somewhat discreet conversation in which Kaida laid out their plan of attack for Salliche?
  • Would anyone in the group (Abby or otherwise) know roughly how much detonite/explosive charges one would need to blow a bridge?
  • I'm a little fuzzy on how ion damage works against vehicles/droids. The truck has 100 hp, a damage threshold of 69, and a DR of 15. If an Ion Mine does 8d6 ion damage, and it happened to do maximum damage (48 points), does this mean that the truck would only suffer 9 points of damage [half total (24) - DR (15) = 9] and that it would not move down the condition track because it did not exceed the damage threshold? Even if Ion damage bypasses DR, that is still only 24 hp of the 100 total of the truck, and that's assuming we do maximum damage.
  • Regarding explosive mines and vehicles, would the people inside of a vehicle that provides total cover be safe from the explosion of a mine if the mine did not reduce the vehicle to 0 hp? or did not overcome the damage threshold of the vehicle? For instance, if we were to place an antivehicle mine (10d6 damage) under the transport truck, and it happened to do maximum damage (60 points), would the people in the truck take any damage? or just the truck?
  • Finally, if a mine does damage in a 2 square burst radius, and the entire area is covered by a vehicle, would the vehicle take damage from the mine multiple times, or just once? (I'm thinking it's just once, but I wanted to check)
  • A question about the vehicles we're about to face... how high above the ground are they able to levitate? If we blow the bridge, should the vehicle survive the explosion, would it be able to just hover back to the solid ground?

:ooc: Okay, to answer these questions:

• The Aegis is 65 meters long (43 squares in game as squres are 1.5 meters - all game square areas below are calculated for any lost space due to i.e the jammer pod). There are two hold sections, one with a hidden smugglers bay. The sizes are as follow: Hold 1 is 9x6 meters (36 squares); Smugglers hold is 6x6 meters but has a rounded wall (20 squares); Hold 2 is 15x6 meters, but loses an area 7x2 where the jammer pod sits (51 squares).

So, the two speeder bikes take 4x4 square areas (32 squares total), and the e-web takes 1 square. That leaves some room for another 4x4 vehicle plus cargo, but it will be tight.
  • Yes, you can assume this. You are welcome to still RP it out in this thread.
  • I am building the challenge now for you guys if you want to attempt dropping the bridge. It will be posted soon.
  • I am getting clarification on Ion damage myself, as I never use it. My first impression from the rules is everything you have there is correct.
  • Passengers of a vehicle only take damage, per the rules, if the vehicle is reduced to 0 hit points and the damage exceeds the threshold.They then only take half of the rolled damage that destroyed the vehicle.
  • The vehicle will only take damage once.
  • As GoB stated, a hover vehicle's repulsors are only strong enough to allow it to fly a certain height off the ground. So, if the bottom falls out, they will drop, too, and suffer falling damage.

I will get back to you guys with the bridge info and ion clarifications once I have them!
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Here is the clarification on Ion damage:

1.  Roll the Ion Damage.
2.  Does target have SR/DR?  If so reduce damage rolled by that amount.
3.  Is the target a vehicle/droid/other that is subject to Ion damage?
3a.  Yes:  Check rolled number against target DT and if greater move target -2 steps down CT.
3b.  No.  Divide rolled damage by four and apply against target's hitpoints and be done.
4.  Halve damage roll and then apply against a vehicle/droid/other hit points.

In your example the DR reduces the 48 rolled down to 33.  That 33 is checked against DT (69) which it isn't close to overcoming.  We now take half of that amount (rounded down to 16) and apply it against the vehicle's hitpoint so it will now have 84 hitpoints remaining.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jan 19, 2013, 12:46 PM #49 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 12:53 PM by tomcat
:ooc: We will be conducting a Skill challenge for the purpose of dropping the bridge. Here is the challenge:

SKILL CHALLENGE: Drop the span
In this skill challenge the heroes must investigate a bridge, determine its weakness, climb it and plant explosives all the while being unseen, and then drop a portion of the span so as to make it impassable.
CL 10
Complexity: 4 (14 successes before 3 failures)
Prerequisites: minimum of 18,000 credits in materials

Suggested Skills: The following are the suggested primary skills for this skill challenge:
   Perception (search)[DC 15]: put eyes on the bridge and give it a good search (taking a video allow details to be brought back to Aegis)
   Gather information [DC 15]: this is part of the Perception test to gather appropriate information on the span
   Knowledge (physical science) [DC 20]: required to determine the bridge's engineering and where to place the charges
   Climb [DC 15]: necessary to get under the bridge to place charges
   Acrobatics [DC 15]: necessary to move around and work in the scaffolding of the bridge
   Stealth [DC 20]: must be performed by the PC involved with the weakest Stealth skill to make sure no one sees the activity
   Mechanics (handle explosives) [DC 25]: set the charge in the optimal place where it will do double damage (10d6 x2)
   Mechanics (handle explosives) [DC 10]: set the detonator in the charge
   Mechanics (handle explosives) [DC 25]: set the charge in the optimal place where it will do double damage (10d6 x2)

Other Actions: The damage must be rolled to determine how effective the explosives were
    <200 damage: 1 square gap (1.5 meters) - most vehicles will be able to cross and personnel can jump
    >200 damage: 2 square gap (3 meters) - vehicles may not be able to gain enough momentum to clear the distance and could fall
    >240 damage: 4 square gap (6 meters) - impassable
    >320 damage: 8 square gap (12 meters) - impassable
    >420 damage: 16 square gap (24 meters) - impassable

Challenge Effect: The following is a suggested challenge effect for this skill challenge:
    Catastrophic failure: failure on any test above by 10 or more accrues two failures, instead of 1
    Recovery: if a character achieves a success on any test by 5 or more, they may choose to erase a failure instead of taking a success
Success: the bridge is made useless
Failure: the bridge is still a source for crossing the river for vehicles of all sizes, along with personnel

tomcat

:ooc: So, for Abby and BIT to decide on munitions, it will cost 18,000 credits

Posterboy

Jan 19, 2013, 01:25 PM #51 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 01:36 PM by Posterboy
:ooc: Doug, one last question regarding Ion damage:

Could we link a "#" ion mines together to cause one ion explosion that causes 8d6x# of mines linked together? So, 4 ion mines linked to explode at the same time would cause 8d6x4 ion damage in a 2 square burst?

p.s. Thanks for all the information and research you did for this! That's a really detailed skill challenge. I appreciate it!

Posterboy

:ooc: Doug, two more questions regarding the bridge:

- Do we need to use explosive charges? (Your example uses 10d6x2 for the explosive damage) Could we use other less explosive material instead, but just put them in more places? I ask this because I think there is a greater probability of doing more damage with lots of "smaller" explosives than with a few "larger" explosives. For instance, with 18000 cr, we can purchase a) 15 detonite packs each with manual triggers; or b) 5-6 explosive charges each with manual triggers.

- Is the 18000 credits before or after blackmarket mark up and licensing fees?

Jingo

Jan 19, 2013, 03:46 PM #53 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 03:48 PM by Jingo
 :ooc: 18,000! Holy cow that's expensive! I'm thinking if we just blow up or disable the first vehicle on the bridge it might be effective enough for the mission. Then we can use that 18,000 for other goodies. Or maybe the Aegis can just fly over and shoot some missiles, big guns at the bridge and accomplish the same thing?

tomcat

:ooc: the 18, 000 is the black market cost for all the materials to blow someting up. That is 4 explosives (10d6 each) and the detonators - all of which are restricted and on the black market are outrageously priced. I gave you all a discount.

As for dropping the bridge, you guys don't have to do that at all. I was just responding to Scott's inquiries and suggested courses of action.

tomcat

Jan 19, 2013, 06:42 PM #55 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 07:10 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Posterboy on Jan 19, 2013, 01:54 PM :ooc: Doug, two more questions regarding the bridge:

- Do we need to use explosive charges? (Your example uses 10d6x2 for the explosive damage) Could we use other less explosive material instead, but just put them in more places? I ask this because I think there is a greater probability of doing more damage with lots of "smaller" explosives than with a few "larger" explosives. For instance, with 18000 cr, we can purchase a) 15 detonite packs each with manual triggers; or b) 5-6 explosive charges each with manual triggers.

- Is the 18000 credits before or after blackmarket mark up and licensing fees?

:ooc: I chose the explosive charges because they were the best dice - and they need to be skillfully placed with Mechanics DC 25 to get the double damage, hence the 10d6x2 - but it also reduces the number of successes needed in the skill challenge. If you guys want to try and get a cheaper, larger quantity of detonite you can but you will need to roll more skill checks.

As I stated above, yes, that is the price after markup - and it is greatly discounted, too.

To Jared, you guys can blow the bridge with the Aegis, too, if you want but you will be drawing more attention to yourselves than the other way. Disabling the first vehicle is definitely another option - but you guys need to formulate your plan so I can start giving you either skill checks/challenges, as well as start giving dialogue.

I leave it up to you and Scott - I do not say this to be a ballbuster to the other players, but Caden chimes in with stuff as to why he doesn't want to be doing this (that's his character and that is okay, but don't depend on a decision from him); Farok is MIA for the most part (I think Tom is busy with his new teaching job and that LotR is of more interest to him); and BIT is slow at his posts (also making the assumption that Matt is busy). So with that said and to keep momentum in the game, you two guys coordinate the attack - the others will chime in as they can.

Besides the 25,000 credits Kaida is supplying, you guys still have 18,190 credits left from Organa's contribution to the team.

To the question of medical stuff - there are a total of three medpacs and one med kit.

Can I get a definitive answer on the E-web (selling it or mounting it on the ship)? I am going to reduce your funds, Kaida, for the items you want and will add them to your equipment. Let me know if you are spending anymore money on equipment (medpacs, med kits, etc). Let me know if the needed munitions for the bridge will be bought. Let me know if the missile launcher, missiles, and triangulation visor will be bought. Let me know if a comm scrambler will be bought.

Lastly, I have updated the map (attached below)

Jingo

:ooc: Scott, if you're okay, here's hat I recommend. I say we take the comm scrambler (6000g base) and 1 camo netting (1000g base) for the Aegis/speeder bikes and say 6 camo ponchos (125 base each), instead of the explosives with Kaida's funds. Cutting comms and maintaining stealth seems to have a greater tactical advantage than maybe/maybe not blowing a bridge. (There's a lot of risk in the explosives not doing what we want (Mechanics DC 25 is pretty high), plus there's quite a few other associated roles.)

We could also use some of Organa's funds to get 2 ion (800b each) and 2 vehicle mines (1500 base each) and the missile launcher. If we make the right connections and get lucky, we might be able to convince or pay dissidents to blow the bridge with their own equipment.

With the comm scrambler, my assumption is there's no roll involved, you just flip a switch with it hooked up to a power source (the Aegis, which will be parked in the woods), and everything goes fuzzy, right?

Do we get the X2 discount on the above instead of the usual x4?

tomcat

Quote from: Jingo on Jan 19, 2013, 08:20 PM
:ooc: Scott, if you're okay, here's hat I recommend. I say we take the comm scrambler (6000g base) and 1 camo netting (1000g base) for the Aegis/speeder bikes and say 6 camo ponchos (125 base each), instead of the explosives with Kaida's funds. Cutting comms and maintaining stealth seems to have a greater tactical advantage than maybe/maybe not blowing a bridge. (There's a lot of risk in the explosives not doing what we want (Mechanics DC 25 is pretty high), plus there's quite a few other associated roles.)

We could also use some of Organa's funds to get 2 ion (800b each) and 2 vehicle mines (1500 base each) and the missile launcher. If we make the right connections and get lucky, we might be able to convince or pay dissidents to blow the bridge with their own equipment.

With the comm scrambler, my assumption is there's no roll involved, you just flip a switch with it hooked up to a power source (the Aegis, which will be parked in the woods), and everything goes fuzzy, right?

Do we get the X2 discount on the above instead of the usual x4?

:ooc: Yea, I will discount this stuff, too. Price to be determined once I know it is what you guys want to do.

Posterboy

:ooc: Yeah... sorry, I feel like I just created a lot of work for you, Doug, on a plan we may not be following. Sorry about that.

I agree that knocking out communication capabilities for the enemy seems like a good move. I also think the PLX-2M Missiles is too good a deal to pass up.

I'm not sure we'll be able to get the Aegis very close without drawing the attention of the authorities. I think they will probably send a couple fighters to investigate why we've decided to land in the middle of some woods and not at the space port. I envision that we'll have to actually drive back into the space port with Kaida's sister (and maybe Abby's father) in order to board the Aegis. Beyond that, I would imagine you'll need a lot more camo netting in order to hide the Aegis from sight.

I do like your idea of working with local dissidents to take out the bridge. I was thinking something similar... here's my thoughts:

STEP #1: Blockade the Bridge

Work with local dissidents to set up a blockade on the bridge, like a broken down farm vehicle (a Bantha-II Cargo Skiff comes to mind). If the rebels are okay with it, we make a "car bomb" out of the vehicle, using either fertilizer or fuel cells. We'll need one block of detonite to get the explosion started. We may be able to trade our extra "small arms" weapons for the vehicle/fuel cells.

Items Needed:
Detonite x1 (estimated cost = 1500 cr)
Manual Trigger x1 (estimated cost = 200 cr)

Vehicle from rebels
Fuel/fertilizer from rebels

STEP #2: Transportation and Stealth

I suggest that we look to purchase an Aratech Arrow-23 Landspeeder (10,800 credits new; 3,400 credits used; rating: licensed). The Arrow-23 has a crew of 2 (pilot, gunner), room for 5 passengers (so we can haul the droideka and our freed prisoners around discreetly) or cargo space (like all our weapons and other gear needed for the mission). This Arrow-23 comes with a laser cannon (controlled by the pilot) and a grenade launcher (controlled by the gunner). The great thing about vehicle weapons is that trained pilots gain a +2 bonus to attack with vehicle weapons and they don't need an appropiate weapon proficiency. Abby, Caden and Kaida can all improve their range attacks by using the speeder bikes/landspeeder. (BIT can too, but he gets pretty good damage with his sniper rifle.)

In addition, I'd suggest getting 3 of the 3x3 Camouflage Netting packs, and maybe some additional camouflage ponchos for BIT, SAM and the rebel troops.

Also, the comm scrambler and a power generator can sit in the back of the Arrow-23 landspeeder.

Items Needed:
Comm Scrambler
Power Generator
Camouflage Netting, 3x3 squares (from GAW) x3 nets (one for each speeder bike and the landspeeder)
Camouflage Ponchos x10
Aratech Arrow-23 Landspeeder (Used)

STEP #3: Disable/Destroy Escort Vehicles and Rescue Prisoners

Kaida is on one speeder bike and rallies the troops before entering battle.
Caden is one the other speeder bike, maybe with SAM on the back?
Abby is driving the Arrow-23 landspeeder.
Farok is in the Arrow-23 landspeeder, but quickly exits out to disable prisoner truck/crew members with his lightsaber.
BIT is either using the grenade launcher (or E-Web blaster) from the gunner position on the landspeeder or he's hiding out and sniping at targets from out of view. (or, if possible, using his sniper rifle from the gunner position of the landspeeder)
SAM is either on the back of Caden's speeder bike, in the gunner's position in on the landspeeder, or on the ground somewhere, using the PLX-2M missile launcher.
The Droideka either rolls out from cover or from the back of the landspeeder and attacks with blaster cannons.

Items Needed:
PLX-2M Portable Missile Launcher
--Extra Missile Packs x2
Maybe grenades for the landspeeder (or we just swap it out for the E-Web Blaster)
Medpacs x3

Estimated total cost of all equipment (less the stuff I hope we'll get from the rebels): 30,000 - 45,000 credits

If I had to rate them in order of priority...

Aratech Arrow-23 Landspeeder (FU book)
Camouflage Netting, 3x3 squares (x3; GAW book) or Camouflage Netting, 6x6 squares (x1; CW book)
Comm Scrambler w/ Power Generator (GAW / CRB)
PLX-2M Portable Missile Launcher w/ Extra Missiles (x2; RE book)
Detonite with Trigger (x1; CRB)
Medpacs (x3; CRB)
Camouflage Ponchos (x 2-10; GAW book)
Frag or Concussion Grenades for the Grenade Launcher (x 4-8; CRB or RE book)

tomcat

Jan 20, 2013, 05:50 AM #59 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2013, 05:52 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Great thoughts on the ambush!

I have no problem retro-ing in whatever supplies purchased even though we have 'moved on' from Loryll the Black Marketeer.

No problems on changing your plan and eliminating the need of the skill challenge - this is all fun to me, it just may take time getting it together due to life outside of gaming.  ;)

One favor, Scott and Jared - when you color your posts for OOC stuff, can you use a different color than navy? I know that's a weird request but when I post combat rounds I use navy and red so that I can easily see who did what.

Thanks